SASS Wire Forum

Roy or Gene?

Jack Houston # 35508

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875
Best Singer?

Best Actor?

Best Person?

My Answer......Roy!

Gene! Orvon Eugene Autry, better known as Gene Autry was the real deal. He was the voice of Cowboy singers throughout the Great Depression. His songs gave hope to America. Even FDR was a great fan and wanted one of Gene's songs as a National Song. The song that FDR liked so much was "Back In The Saddle." He was a great morale lifter during those bleak days.

And even though he was a huge Star, he was one of the first to join the Service during World War II.

Roy Rogers, born Leonard Franklin Slye. When he and two others started the Sons of the Pioneers, he was Leonard Slye.

He was actually billed as "Leonard Slye" when he got his start in fims in a Gene Autry movie in 1935.

Supposedly it was right after that movie that Leonard Slye changed his name to Roy Rogers, but I did read somewhere where he used another Stage Name for a while before settling on Roy Rogers. Though he was only 30 at the outbreak of World War II, I don't know why he never serviced in the Military when a lot of bigger names in Hollywood did.

He along with Hoppy and Gene were my favorites when I was a kid.

:FlagAm:

Gene! Orvon Eugene Autry, better known as Gene Autry was the real deal. He was the voice of Cowboy singers throughout the Great Depression. His songs gave hope to America. Even FDR was a great fan and wanted one of Gene's songs as a National Song. The song that FDR liked so much was "Back In The Saddle." He was a great morale lifter during those bleak days.

And even though he was a huge Star, he was one of the first to join the Service during World War II.

Roy Rogers, born Leonard Franklin Slye. When he and two others started the Sons of the Pioneers, he was Leonard Slye.

He was actually billed as "Leonard Slye" when he got his start in fims in a Gene Autry movie in 1935.

Supposedly it was right after that movie that Leonard Slye changed his name to Roy Rogers, but I did read somewhere where he used another Stage Name for a while before settling on Roy Rogers. Though he was only 30 at the outbreak of World War II, I don't know why he never serviced in the Military when a lot of bigger names in Hollywood did.

He along with Hoppy and Gene were my favorites when I was a kid.

;)

Been Googlein have ya :FlagAm::D

as a child of the 40s and 50s I have to say it was Roy, yes he had the SOP behind him, but then Gene did have a really nice voice and did give us many songs..ah, it is a hard choice but Roy is/was the man, besides he married Dale, who I always loved. :FlagAm: .if I couldn't have her, I was glad he did. ;):D

Growed up watching Roy, I give him the edge on acting and singing. I've been watching alot of Gene on the Westerns channel and he's good too. Roy and Dale what a pair. She was quite the songwriter also.

[b]If I recall correctly, Gene was King of the Cowboys. Then we didn't see him for a long while. Then Roy was King of the Cowboys. Didn't know why When Gene came back from the Army we knew. 6 & 7 year olds don't understand a lot of stuff.[/b]

Taken as Roy or Gene ,,,,,,, I say Gene !!!

But Roy did have a prime asset ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Dale ...

Jabez Cowboy

Howdy:

I always preferred Gene. However, I watche ALL the Roy Rodgers movies and saw him ar a couple of shows in Medina Temple in Chicago. Hopalong Casidy was also a great cowboy to watch. Too bad we don't have actors like those anmore.

STL Soumi

I had the fortune of meeting Roy Rodgers in person later in his life with his wife and he was everything we all have imagined him to be and his wife as well. Just fine people the way round. Not counting his singing and acting exploits, just as a person, A#1! Smithy.

Can not really relate to either.

Don't ever really remember watching Gene. And very little of Roy.

Nor Hop-along or any of those others.

Did watch some of Roy, and The Lone Ranger. But some of them others was just a little before my time I guess.

Has to be Roy.

We lived in the Mojave desert when I was a kid. I always wanted to see Trigger in person. So once on the way to Edwards AFB my uncle arranged for us to stop at a big deal in Apple Valley. I wasn't more that 8 or 9 y/o and had my Fanner 50's in the car.

My ol' man wouldn't stop for a train so I was pretty sure we weren't going to stop that day either, but we did that day.

Never, ever, ever, forget that day... nope... never.

I got a hunch they are both looking down at this thread and laughing their skinny cowboy butts off!

I doubt that it ever mattered to either of them who was the "best".

They were both smart enough to conduct themselves as gentlemen, and we are all the better for it.

Their running neck and neck!!

But I think I'll go with Roy...he always shot double Duelist, so he was the coolest!!

Dang Ole Gene lost one holster and never even bothered to replace it!!!

Bad Hombre :)

Archived