SASS Wire Forum

Name That Rifle

News article about a hunter who shot an "84 lb coyote" in lower Michigan ~ which turned out to be a grey wolf.  This picture was included; may or may not (likely not) be the rifle used.  So, just for the fun of it, can you identify said rifle?  :)

(By the way ~ he is reportedly not being charged for shooting the wolf - which was where wolves weren't)  :rolleyes:

image.png.85e573e6031a590d80190fdc24a7f2dc.png

Well, I've given my own guns plenty of names. And I hate tio name others' shooting irons, but let's go with "Ole Reliable" for his gun. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sometimes I have heard folks call their rifles “That damned rifle”, but usually they’re in a sour mood as they have lost something, like a match or trophy deer.

I have no idea what the rifle pictured might be. 

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

And aren't all rifles named Betsy?

Not at all. The rifle that is said to have taken down Patrick Ferguson at King’s Mountain was named “Sweet Lips.” They should be named for a girl, though. Unless owned by a girl, then I’m not sure what the na

mi protocol is.

I named my muzzleloader after a girl I worked with. Suzi Q. Because she was long, and skinny, and had a big mouth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Well, I've given my own guns plenty of names. And I hate tio name others' shooting irons, but let's go with "Ole Reliable" for his gun. 

Nope.  Sorry, Cap'n, but that would make it a Sharps ~ which it obviously ain't.  :lol:

Now, with THAT said, my first thought was that the "checkering" appears Remington-ish - sorta.  And the action does look Mauser-ish... but brings to mind the .300 Win Mag Ruger M-77 that I bought about fifty years ago.  Which, by the way, made a most effective ground squirrel gun;  150 gr BTHP coming outta the skinny end at around 3400 fps plumb vaporized them boogers.  :rolleyes: 

image.jpeg.b7cf28f199eb95371126aeeb9d16cee1.jpeg  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the guy holding the rifle is a werewolf himself!  Geez that's a hairy hand!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Nope.  Sorry, Cap'n, but that would make it a Sharps ~ which it obviously ain't.  :lol:

Now, with THAT said, my first thought was that the "checkering" appears Remington-ish - sorta.  And the action does look Mauser-ish... but brings to mind the .300 Win Mag Ruger M-77 that I bought about fifty years ago.  Which, by the way, made a most effective ground squirrel gun;  150 gr BTHP coming outta the skinny end at around 3400 fps plumb vaporized them boogers.  :rolleyes: 

image.jpeg.b7cf28f199eb95371126aeeb9d16cee1.jpeg  

Okay. We can change it. Looks like you been there, done that and got the shirt to prove it. So how about Ole Vaporizer ? ;)

• Haha 1

I have 2 guns with names. 
My S&W 327 Night Guard is called “Brutus”.

My wife knows if I say “Go get Brutus” she knows exactly what to do. 
I have named my new Henry “Rex Henricus X”

Latin for King Henry the tenth, but in my case the “X” just stands for X, as in X model. 

• Haha 1

I've had several guns with the same name - ****ing piece of ****. Don't have those guns any longer.

I don't know what rifle that is but J-Bar is right about Wolfman!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I've had several guns with the same name - ****ing piece of ****. Don't have those guns any longer.

Must be lucky, never had a piece such as you describe.  Nearly all lived up to expectations or had some redeeming value.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I have owned a few of those. “Owned” being the key word. I still have one, thus guaranteeing there will never be a gun buy back anywhere within 50 miles of where I live. 

• Haha 2

I wonder if it's a Sportered Mauser with a Fajen or Bishop stock.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:
News article about a hunter who shot an "84 lb coyote" in lower Michigan ~ which turned out to be a grey wolf.  This picture was included; may or may not (likely not) be the rifle used.  So, just for the fun of it, can you identify said rifle?  :)

(By the way ~ he is reportedly not being charged for shooting the wolf - which was where wolves weren't)  :rolleyes:

image.png.85e573e6031a590d80190fdc24a7f2dc.png

A Sako.  Maybe L579 or L46; early 1960's.
  • Unique skip line checkering (Sako optional factory feature)
  • Similar pistol grip shape and cap
  • Similar bolt striker design, with "screw notch" (my quotes) for firing pin exposed at back of striker
  • Push button bolt release on left rear of action
  • Not a RamLine stock, plastic or otherwise, because checker pattern is standard and different.
The trigger guard is difficult to pin down.  Most later Sako rifles had a sloping front to the trigger guard bow.  Long Monte Carlo, hard to pick up from picture.

Anybody pick up on the "Neanderthal" PhotoShop of the hair and dirt on back of hand?  I suspect file "photo", intended to disparage those troglodytes who hunt.  Besides, I one-hand-carry my right hand hunting bolt gun in my right hand.  

• Like 1

Skip line checkering doesn't necessarily say Sako.

This is a Steyr. I know it is a Steyr because it is my Steyr and I just took the picture.

IMG_20240412_195657296.thumb.jpg.ff2c16204eef6891b56af59bd94322dd.jpg

Cheekpiece and skip-line checkering.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Palouse said:

Besides, I one-hand-carry my right hand hunting bolt gun in my right hand.  

That seems awkward.

I have my rifle in my left hand, in front of the trigger guard. As I raise the rifle to shoot, my right hand grasp the pistol grip and pulls the butt into my shoulder, well my left hand slides two to three inches forward on the forearm. I'm in shooting position.

But if my right hand is forward of the trigger guard, I have to reach over and take the gun out of my right hand with my left hand, so I can move my right hand back to the pistol grip. Slower, and more steps involved.

I think it is a "wolf killer". :ph34r:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Skip line checkering doesn't necessarily say Sako.

Cheekpiece and skip-line checkering.

Correct.  However, "Skip Line" is just a simple description of what is in the Fox Photo File picture.  Actually, the "skip" in the picture is simply deeper-cut lines every 4 or so lines.  And like some Sako rilfes that have the "deep-line skip". 

The skip-line checkering on your Styer forms the more commonly found "bare diamonds" (my quotes), where lines are not cut at all every 5th line or so.  Similar to what is found molded into a RamLine stock.  (DOH !!!)    ;)

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

That seems awkward.

I have my rifle in my left hand, in front of the trigger guard. As I raise the rifle to shoot, my right hand grasp the pistol grip and pulls the butt into my shoulder, well my left hand slides two to three inches forward on the forearm. I'm in shooting position.

But if my right hand is forward of the trigger guard, I have to reach over and take the gun out of my right hand with my left hand, so I can move my right hand back to the pistol grip. Slower, and more steps involved.

Nah, not awkward.   I'm just more smooth and stylin' than most.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/12/2024 at 5:30 AM, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

My dad named his Remington 08 "Old Meat In The Pot".

• Like 2