SASS Wire Forum

Tabasco has a new entry in the hotter and hotter wars

Flavor is the ONLY THING that truly matters in a hot sauce!  If it doesn’t taste good, it’s nothing but liquid pepper spray!

I seldom use Tobasco. It’s just not what I am looking for in flavor.  It IS great in a pinto bean or white bean dish, but in my personal opinion, there are better options.

I WILL give the new offering a try!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Braver than I.

“It only hurts for a little while!” :lol:

41 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Twice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Not necessarily so!  See this article from the National Institute of Health.  While written for health care professionals it is clear that eating ultra-spicy peppers can cause a hellish experience lasting days.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

I'll stick with...

best-hot-sauce-taste-test-approved-4-1-2.jpg

I like that one and Tapatio. I like green Tabasco on steak once in a while. It’s good on grilled fish too. 

I have never understood the drive or the need for these super hot spices and sauces. 
They can have at it, for all I care. I just think one day we’ll be reading the news about stomach cancer being a very frequent thing here in the US. 

image.thumb.png.39a54a1ae4fc0dea0d64a57f0e22ef60.pngimage.thumb.png.75c462ae3ab0a8057ff307c7f6635acc.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Flavor is the ONLY THING that truly matters in a hot sauce!  If it doesn’t taste good, it’s nothing but liquid pepper spray!

I seldom use Tobasco. It’s just not what I am looking for in flavor.  It IS great in a pinto bean or white bean dish, but in my personal opinion, there are better options.

I WILL give the new offering a try!

May I ask, what hot sauces you prefer? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

May I ask, what hot sauces you prefer? 

Certainly!!  I like and use, in no particular order of preference, Tapatio, Valentina, Boerne Brand Texas Red, Dirty Dick’s Original, Taco Bell Hot, and a couple one time brands that friends have given me as gifts.

I also have several home grown peppers from my mom’s and my brother’s gardens.

AND!! I have two of the Dave’s Insanity special blend that came in the little wooden coffin!  I opened one and sometimes use a single drop in certain recipes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Certainly!!  I like and use, in no particular order of preference, Tapatio, Valentina, Boerne Brand Texas Red, Dirty Dick’s Original, Taco Bell Hot, and a couple one time brands that friends have given me as gifts.

AND!! I have two of the Dave’s Insanity special blend that came in the little wooden coffin!  I opened one and sometimes use a single drop in certain recipes.

Not heard of Valentina before. 

Have to check it out, TNX!

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Not heard of Valentina before. 

Have to check it out, TNX!

It’s very similar to Tapatio. Subtle differences and maybe slightly milder to me.

I buy those two in quart size bottles because I use them a lot when I’m cooking.  

Schoolmarm uses Tapatio in her bloody marys, which reminds me that I gotta pick up some more spicy V8! She used the last of that yesterday and I/we are making spaghetti sauce this weekend! :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

Don't remember where I read this, but some cook said with peppers, scrape out the seeds and that should minimize or prevent the burning as the peppers exit the human body.     You can use the seeds to grow your own peppers.

I do this with red peppers and jalapeno peppers and I have not had any issues.

24 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Don't remember where I read this, but some cook said with peppers, scrape out the seeds and that should minimize or prevent the burning as the peppers exit the human body.     You can use the seeds to grow your own peppers.

I do this with red peppers and jalapeno peppers and I have not had any issues.

True for some peppers, the seeds and pulp have most of the heat. Red peppers are generally ripe, so the seeds should be usable if the pepper is nor a hybrid.

there are exceptions.

for the sauce you can bet the hottest part of the pepper was used.

I tried the Scorpion Tabasco a year or so ago when it first came out and didn’t find it much different than their regular Tabasco  sauce. The sauces that I really prefer are the Mexico Lindo brand and my favorite of those is the Black Hot Sauce, very mild heat but lots of flavor. The green sauce is similar to green Tabasco or Cholula with a tad more heat but lots of flavor. The seafood hot sauce is a bit warmer and I like it on grilled fish, fish tacos, etc.. A friend of ours in Sedona came out with a line of hot sauce that I like too, Sedona Hot Sauce. 

IMG_4953.jpeg

IMG_4955.jpeg

• Like 1

Can’t find the Mexico Lindo here. I have tried it and liked it, but I don’t have an outlet for it.

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I tried the Scorpion Tabasco a year or so ago when it first came out and didn’t find it much different than their regular Tabasco  sauce. The sauces that I really prefer are the Mexico Lindo brand and my favorite of those is the Black Hot Sauce, very mild heat but lots of flavor. The green sauce is similar to green Tabasco or Cholula with a tad more heat but lots of flavor. The seafood hot sauce is a bit warmer and I like it on grilled fish, fish tacos, etc.. A friend of ours in Sedona came out with a line of hot sauce that I like too, Sedona Hot Sauce. 

IMG_4953.jpeg

IMG_4955.jpeg

What store carries them?

Not seen that brand before.

Okay!  Found the Mexico Lindo on Amazon.  Several varieties are available.

It’ll be good to try them out again.  I remember the black and the red, but I also ordered three others.

I get mine at Smart and Final, kind of a warehouse type of store out here. It’s on sale often for $1.49 a bottle, good stuff.

59 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What store carries them?

Not seen that brand before.

• Thanks 1

Original Tabasco  !

I put that $4it on everything  :D

20 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Dave's Private Insanity is deadly........

• Haha 1

I've told this here before.........but y'all are old, so you probably forget.

I had a work associate offer me a taste of Dave's Private Insanity. Pulls the bottle out of his desk drawer, puts 2 drops on a tortilla chip and says "give it a try". I raise it to my lips, they immediately go dry, as do my nasal passages......I get a tear in each eye and the hair on my neck stands up. I dropped the chip in the waste can and immediately went to the water cooler. Never saw if the papers in the waste can burst into flames.........

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Dave's Private Insanity is deadly........

I have used it in large pots of chili, four and five gallons, at charity cookoff  events where the winning chili is sold by the bowl as a fundraiser. One drop for a couple gallons.

It is also pretty good when mixed with ammonia for dog or cat repellent! <_<

• Like 1

I was once at a major corporation sales meeting in Texas where I watched a contest between a senior executive and an "up and comer" - basically who was more into pain.  There was a pepper on the edge of the plate - I like spicy, but touched it to my tongue and that was enough,  These two guys chowed them down. Woof!  Can't recall seeing them later in the evening, wouldn't want to have been either of them in the morning,

I use a fair amount of Tabasco (regular red) but mostly not for the heat as such but as a 'brightener' as my dad used to put it. A couple of dashes in the stew pot or the soup pot, for instance. Last night I  fried a mess of shrimp and did a couple of dashes in the pan.

Used in this way it definitely enhances the basic flavors, even if you can't taste the sauce itself. Like what salt does in a sense. Then those who want the heat can add it themselves.

I tend to use Frank's Red Hot when I want direct heat on something.

Edited by Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619

My current favorites:

For tacos, nachos, enchiladas, etc:

image.png.f7def2c2d77a4319ecb73c72910846fd.png

For hamburgers:

image.png.4d655563af8a4bd2342e69aab2baa603.png

For general use:

image.png.7faac22f8d19db98c7f804c6a3e707bd.png

These all have decent heat and good flavors.  Not hot just to be hot.

Remember when it was hard to find Huy Fong sriracha (we just called it the rooster brand)?

Huy Fong Sriracha Chili Sauce - 28oz : Target

Now that it's been back on shelves it tastes different, and a lot of people don't like it (including me).

My new favorite is Sky Valley sriracha.  It has a slightly smokey flavor and goes great on eggs.  I love it on grilled chicken and rice.

Sriracha Sauce | Southeast Asian Hot Sauce | Gluten-Free

Edited by Chief Rick