SASS Wire Forum

Howdy! Introduction and Question

Donovan Shoost

Hello and happy Friday! Just wanted to introduce myself since I finally created my account after discovering (with 2 tries) that Gmail won't work for this.

I'm from the small state of Maryland and just picked up a couple of Ruger NVs, a Cimarron 1873 (both in .45 Colt) and a Stoeger Coach gun. After watching a bunch of videos, reading the rules and forum posts, I couldn't help myself. I've been shooting since I was a child, and just recently discovered the joy of competitive shooting in Trap. When I saw this, it just looked like pure fun.

With that, I have a couple questions. The easier and dumber one is probably whether the Coach Gun (and for that matter, the other firearms) I picked up will be allowed for this game. I thought I read somewhere that it was kosher, but wanted to double check in case it is a no-go.

The second is about getting into CAS this season. As I understand it, I have two SASS clubs nearby (Thurmont and Damascus, I think?) that do at least monthly events, and I was hoping to learn more about what to expect locally. Is this forum a good way to make some connections to folks in those clubs and prepare in advance, or is it easier to reach out to the clubs directly through more traditional channels?

I'm excited to learn more here and about the sport in general. Finally, if anyone wants to talk superbikes or motorcycle track days/racing, I'm also game for that :).

Edited by Donovan Shoost
  • Like 4

Welcome to the group!

You are 100% correct. CAS is a lot of fun and a great group of people!

with that said, I shoot at two clubs and have yet to connect with any of those people on the wire. Have made that connection on FB just not the wire.

CK

• Like 2

Welcome from Arkansas! Head for your nearest club, they will be happy to welcome a new shooter. Your guns will serve you well. Don't try to get into a costume category yet, just shoot what you got. Wear some jeans, Western boots and a Western hat. Don't spend a ton of money yet on your belt and holsters, see what you like first. This is a great place with super people [just watch out for that chicken footin', sheep rustling @Tennessee williams, he'll steal the banana splits from a youngster!].

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

The pistols should be fine, just use lead (not FMJ) for both the pistol and rifle (no round nose for the rifle). What’s the rifle barrel length? The stoeger is fine, it will be stiff for a while. Read the rules regarding proper shells. Yes, reach out to the club via email or phone. They’ll give you the lowdown. Don’t fool yourself and show up to your first match to say you will watch. You will shoot. You will be nervous as heck, and you will drive home with a grin that will last all day. Don’t be intimidated by the fast shooters. They were once slow too (I still am). Have fun!!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Windy City Kid said:

What’s the rifle barrel length? 

16" barrel, 10rnd.  Thanks for confirming the rest! I'll read the rules over, hoping I can share #7.5 shells between trap and this.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Wear some jeans, Western boots and a Western hat. Don't spend a ton of money yet on your belt and holsters, see what you like first. 

Makes total sense. I just so happened to have a couple hats and a pair of boots from when I was in Houston (as well as an Akubra from Aus, that counts, right?), and I cheaped out on some basic gear that seems like it will get me started (though I did gawk for a bit at some of the high end rigs).

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Choctaw Kid Tulsa said:

I shoot at two clubs and have yet to connect with any of those people on the wire. Have made that connection on FB just not the wire.

Thanks, good to know!

• Like 2

You will be able to start out using typical trap shotshells - say 1 1/8 ounce loads at 1145 FPS or so.

After a short while, you will find that hardly no one shoots that heavy a load in SASS.   A Winchester Low Noise Low Recoil load is plenty as a light commercial load.   Most folks in SASS reload shells and cartridges.

If you think of SASS games as R&D for really light loads with either smokeless or black powder, you won't be far off.

welcome, and good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708
  • Like 5

You have already been given some great information from some very experienced CAS shooters. Now dont spend another dime until you have been to a couple of matches, shot your guns with mild loads and met a bunch of great folks. My ex called it Cowboy Heroin.

Imis

Edited by Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

You have already been given some great information from some very experienced CAS shooters. Now dont spend another dime until you have been to a couple of matches, shot your guns with mild loads and met a bunch of great folks. My ex called it Cowboy Heroin.

Imis

Yeah, this is fantastic. Thank you all so much. This is exactly what I was hoping to find :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Windy City Kid said:

The pistols should be fine, just use lead (not FMJ) for both the pistol and rifle (no round nose for the rifle). What’s the rifle barrel length? The stoeger is fine, it will be stiff for a while. Read the rules regarding proper shells. Yes, reach out to the club via email or phone. They’ll give you the lowdown. Don’t fool yourself and show up to your first match to say you will watch. You will shoot. You will be nervous as heck, and you will drive home with a grin that will last all day. Don’t be intimidated by the fast shooters. They were once slow too (I still am). Have fun!!!!

Grin that last all day? Mine is still here 12 years later!

yes Donovan, go to match. Plan to shoot. Every SASS club in the country will welcome you. If you have gun trouble and somebody says “try mine” take them up on it. 
cinch up and hang on tight. You’re looking at a heck of a ride! 

• Like 5

The stoeger is a great working gun, it's no frills but does a great job for the money. The rugers are a great choice,  they are the basic standard for cas.

The rifle is just a point of preference.  I personally prefer the 20, or even the 24" barrels but again that is a personal preference.  The 73 is a great gun and will take the modified parts like the short stroke kits. I think you did great on your first set. I am on my 3rd set of guns after trying different ones and deciding what I preferred.  When you get to a couple of matches the people will help fill in any gapes  on different equipment. 

Happy shooting 

Slow poke

• Like 3

I have visited the Damascus Range but not shot there.  Looks like a good place to shoot.  Many of us started with Stoeger shotguns.  They are serviceable shotguns for CAS.  My backup shotgun for EOT next week is a Stoeger.  GJ is right, your trap loads are legal but too stout for CAS.  Load 3/4 or 7/8 oz of your 7 1/2 shot to as low a velocity as you can get.  Less than 1,000 fps would be ideal.  Otherwise buy low noise, low recoil AAs.  Recoil is undesirable in CAS.

There are many matches within a day’s drive of MD.  I recommend shooting nearby state and regional matches.  Land Run in OKC would be fun when you are ready.

• Like 2

The Cimarron 16" trapper '73 will hold ten 45 Colts, but BARELY!  The last one will be difficult to load, and then will be sitting at an angle on the carrier waiting to jam when you try to open the lever.  After loading, you will need to stick a knife blade or whatever down into the carrier to straighten that round on the carrier.  Then it will feed okay.  I dealt with this for some years before starting to load 45 Schofields for that carbine, which are just easier to load into the tube and work fine.  

• Like 2

Oh, a PS on the 45 Colt loads, I run 7.5 grains of Unique in my 45 loads under a 200 grain RNFP cast. Try the ones from @Scarlett or Bustin Head Lead.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

The Cimarron 16" trapper '73 will hold ten 45 Colts, but BARELY!  The last one will be difficult to load, and then will be sitting at an angle on the carrier waiting to jam when you try to open the lever.  After loading, you will need to stick a knife blade or whatever down into the carrier to straighten that round on the carrier.  Then it will feed okay.  I dealt with this for some years before starting to load 45 Schofields for that carbine, which are just easier to load into the tube and work fine.  

Interesting, thanks for the advice. I'm going to take a close look at it next time I have it out - I loaded it up with 10 and everything ran ok, but have only tried it once. I just learned about 45 Schofield right this second - is that interchangable with 45 Colt in a 45LC lever action? 

Edited by Donovan Shoost

Welcome to the game. I shoot at both Thurmont and Damascus. Both are fine clubs what will welcome you. Weather permitting we will be shooting at Thurmont the first Sunday of the month starting in March. Damascus will follow the next weekend on Saturday. Just over the line in PA. the Jefferson Outlaws put on a match on the third Saturday of the month. I’m the TG there. The Jefferson range has a small cowboy town that’s named Leadvile were the match is held.  Saddle up and come join us for some good times. Looking forward to meeting you.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Donovan Shoost said:

Interesting, thanks for the advice. I'm going to take a close look at it next time I have it out - I loaded it up with 10 and everything ran ok, but have only tried it once. I just learned about 45 Schofield right this second - is that interchangable with 45 Colt in a 45LC lever action? 

Well if everything ran okay then no problem.  You sure it is a 16"?  Yes, Schofields will run in the .45 Colt '73 as long as they are not too short.  In mine, a 200gr or 250gr bullet feed fine, tried 180gr (Black Hills factory) and it was too short.

• Like 1

Yo-Ho Donovan Shoost: Welcome aboard pilgrim and start having some great times and meeting great folks ready to help.

Take care & God Bless.

Jackrabbit Joe & Sly Puppy

Edited by Jackrabbit Joe #414
  • Like 3

I'm a firm believer that 45 Colt should go BOOM and my shotgun BOOM BOOM.  So my 45 reloads are loaded 1 grain below the powder manufacture's maximum recommendation and my factory shotgun loads are NOT mild loads.  That is how I choose to "play" SASS. 

Other Cowpokes prefer to "play" for speed and low recoil ammunition helps them accomplishes reach that goal.

Shoot SASS the way YOU want to and not the way some Cowpoke (me included) thinks you should because they do a certain way.    SASS ain't the Indianapolis 500.  Show up with what you got (within SASS rules) and have fun your way.  

• Like 5

Welcome from Vermont Donovan Shoost, to the best game and folks goin. Hang on for the addiction!

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

Edited by Eyesa Horg
otto
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Donovan Shoost said:

16" barrel, 10rnd.  Thanks for confirming the rest! I'll read the rules over, hoping I can share #7.5 shells between trap and this.

Welcome to the most fun you can have with your clothes on!  You will probably want a lighter load for your SxS than you shoot in trap.  Contact the folks at the local clubs and see if you can get with someone to see what you have and show you the ropes before your first match.

Randy

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Snake-eye, SASS#45097 said:

Welcome to the game. I shoot at both Thurmont and Damascus. Both are fine clubs what will welcome you. Weather permitting we will be shooting at Thurmont the first Sunday of the month starting in March. Damascus will follow the next weekend on Saturday. Just over the line in PA. the Jefferson Outlaws put on a match on the third Saturday of the month. I’m the TG there. The Jefferson range has a small cowboy town that’s named Leadvile were the match is held.  Saddle up and come join us for some good times. Looking forward to meeting you.

Likewise, and thanks for this info. I didn't even know about your club and the PA range (I think my search was confined to MD)!

Edited by Donovan Shoost
  • Like 1

Welcome to the dance !

Screenshot_20240218_192322_Photos.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/23/2024 at 6:58 PM, Donovan Shoost said:

With that, I have a couple questions. The easier and dumber one is probably whether the Coach Gun (and for that matter, the other firearms) I picked up will be allowed for this game. I thought I read somewhere that it was kosher, but wanted to double check in case it is a no-go.

Yes,  those three are very kosher.  but, be advised that for the really competitive shooter, they will all be better with a little work.  The rifle will be smoother with a little tuning and judicious smoothing of the operating bits... Lighter springs will also be a big help.  The pistols can potentially be improved with a look at timing and also lighter springs.  The shotgun will shuck empties much better with the chambers polished and the extractors smoothed.  Some folks really like the chamber mouths & extractors cut to ease insertion of loaded shells, but... taken to an extreme that can prematurely Lockup problems.  

On 2/23/2024 at 6:58 PM, Donovan Shoost said:

The second is about getting into CAS this season. As I understand it, I have two SASS clubs nearby (Thurmont and Damascus, I think?) that do at least monthly events, and I was hoping to learn more about what to expect locally. Is this forum a good way to make some connections to folks in those clubs and prepare in advance, or is it easier to reach out to the clubs directly through more traditional channels?

This forum can be very helpful, but... not every member hangs out here.  Whenever I get the chance to visit a club, I make contact thru email or phone to the party list as the club contact on this site.  that way I can confirm time & place where their shoots are being held.  

Randy Saint Eagle has it a little wrong, for cowboy action is only the 2nd most fun you can have with clothes on...  The first would be mounted shooting!  That is, if you're a horseperson, or wish to become one!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Griff said:

The first would be mounted shooting!  That is, if you're a horseperson, or wish to become one!

Not gonna lie, seeing videos of that was part of what had me investigating CAS in general. I'd love to learn to ride, so maybe someday :D

Mainmost thing is watch out for no-good, lowdown lying scoundrels that frequent the wire. You've spoken to a couple of them on here already. One of the worst is Deacon KFC. Shore I might've taken a nanner split from a youngun, but Deak paid me $5 to do it. Besides you can't trust a fella what wears an upside down bucket of KFC chicken as his cowboy hat. That's how Deacon got his name ya know. You'll know him if you ever shoot with him. He wears a big ole feather behind that bucket. Whatever you do though, don't smell that feather no matter how much he wants you to. 

Hey, I don't make this stuff up.:ph34r:

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

Mainmost thing is watch out for no-good, lowdown lying scoundrels that frequent the wire. You've spoken to a couple of them on here already. One of the worst is Deacon KFC. Shore I might've taken a nanner split from a youngun, but Deak paid me $5 to do it. Besides you can't trust a fella what wears an upside down bucket of KFC chicken as his cowboy hat. That's how Deacon got his name ya know. You'll know him if you ever shoot with him. He wears a big ole feather behind that bucket. Whatever you do though, don't smell that feather no matter how much he wants you to. 

:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

and another welcome - everything you bought is fine , go to one or both of the clubs near you and jump right in , its essential at the club level to help out and in doing so you will meet and make friends , they will steer you right , along with that you will get to socialize with some great folks , you will get exposed to others doing the same thing in a number of different categories - thats where some things become cortical to your participation fun , but hey , its supposed to be fun and it can at all levels 

someone has to end up last with me ............there are folks that will teach you the tricks to be more successful , help you learn to reload [it will save you in the end] , and help you find all the stuff your going to want that you dont already have , its a fun journey and you can do it till your no longer interested in doing anything 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

He makes EVERYTHING up!    Don't be mislead by a Duelist wannabe.

TW is jealous of Deacon KFC because Deacon won't give him a discount on chicken feet or other chicken parts that TW uses

in his VooDoo stuff.   

And if you have a pet Possum, keep it away from TW.

EDIT:  why did the Possum cross the road?   to get away from TW!

..........Widder

Edited by Widder, SASS #59054
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

As someone stated, don’t limit yourself to your home state.  There are probably SASS-affiliated clubs in neighboring states as well.

I would reach out to local clubs and ask whether they offer a new shooter clinic or a practice day.  Some clubs do this on a regular basis, some on an ad hoc basis, and there are some cowboys who have their own practice range.  This can be valuable as opposed to trying to shoot a new sport with brand new firearms without having even observed a match before.

If you don’t already load your own ammo you may be taking up another hobby.  Factory .45 Colt ammo can be expensive.  For now check out “Cowboy Cartridges” available from Bullets by Scarlett.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

If you don’t already load your own ammo you may be taking up another hobby.  Factory .45 Colt ammo can be expensive.  For now check out “Cowboy Cartridges” available from Bullets by Scarlett.

+1 for Scarlett's bullets.   She also has a lot of various stuff to enhance our game, even gun carts.

PLUS...... she gives hugs.  :wub:

..........Widder

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 2/24/2024 at 7:57 AM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Well if everything ran okay then no problem.  You sure it is a 16"?  Yes, Schofields will run in the .45 Colt '73 as long as they are not too short.  In mine, a 200gr or 250gr bullet feed fine, tried 180gr (Black Hills factory) and it was too short.

I wanted to circle back because I experienced what you were warning me about before :rolleyes:

While sighting in today, I loaded 10 .45 LC factory cartridges from S&B, and the first shot got all jammed up trying to cycle, just as you said. I managed to work it into place but it's obviously not something I want to happen.

So I got curious why this happened when I already tested it with a "full magazine" before. I got out my caliper and measured the S&B rounds, and they are on average ~.018" longer than the snap caps I was testing with (my full mag test was with 6 snap caps and 4 live S&B rounds).

I have some other ammo from Fiocchi that I want to try - it's a smidge shorter on average than the snap caps, and I suspect that it will fit and feed ok. That difference in length seemed to accumulate as expected over a full mag of the S&B. Amazing what a difference a hundredth of an inch can make :). I think I'll be ok with the shorter cartridges as long as I find a consistent source (or load my own?).

Anyway, wanted to thank you for looking out (I actually brought a wider array of tools with your words in mind) and give you a chance to say "I told you so" lol.

Edited by Donovan Shoost
  • Like 1