SASS Wire Forum

California residents buying rounds?

Received several emails this morning about non California ammunition retailers being willing to ship ammunition into CA immediately.  A quick search shows this:

https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/judge-blocks-california-requiring-background-checks-buy-ammunition-2024-01-31/

Have any of the California residents asked about buying a box at a local brick and mortar today?  Are they willing to accept cash and no id or are they still following the illegal mandates?  

You cannot buy legal ammo in CA without filling out a DROS, no matter how you pay for it. 

My FFL charges $25 fee for incoming ammo

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, bgavin said:

You cannot buy legal ammo in CA without filling out a DROS, no matter how you pay for it.

That was blocked by a judge yesterday and most places no longer do the background check... at least until the state gets another judge to block the block....

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

@John Kloehr I feel sorry for the kid that had to count those.

Screenshot_20240201-180825_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I would bet it was counted on a weigh counting scale, very accurate.

Imis

i feel a bit bad for te CA residents , they dont have all the other options the rest of us have , but then im not overthinking it as they really did vote their own problems in , you could vote them out you know ? that said i hope my shooting friends in CA have everything they need , i do - just loaded 1000 rounds of 45 in the last few weeks , 

8 minutes ago, watab kid said:

i feel a bit bad for te CA residents , they dont have all the other options the rest of us have , but then im not overthinking it as they really did vote their own problems in , you could vote them out you know ? that said i hope my shooting friends in CA have everything they need , i do - just loaded 1000 rounds of 45 in the last few weeks , 

Good grief.  Right... WE voted for the ammo law.  And WE didn't vote it out.

Shame on us.  Hell.... shame on me ~ it's obviously my fault.  -_-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

The residents (narrowly) voted for a 4 year ammo purchase card, the legislature amended the people's will to this mess of background checks.

Benitez did not state the original scheme was constitutional, he made a clear point of stating by comparison the legislative amendment absolutely was not.

• Like 1

Good luck with CA block.  My FFL wants $25 fee to accept incoming ammo shipments.  Most vendors seem to err on side of caution rather than risk getting closed down.  The judge blocked the back ground check but what about the DROS?  This will change again very soon, so I figure many shops will hold their breath

Edited by bgavin

From what I gather, while the law is under injunction, you are free to buy ammunition and components directly and are under no obligation to go through any local vendor!!

Drive to the nearest bordering state and buy all you want without having to deal with California at all!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bgavin said:

Good luck with CA block.  My FFL wants $25 fee to accept incoming ammo shipments.  Most vendors seem to err on side of caution rather than risk getting closed down.  The judge blocked the back ground check but what about the DROS?  This will change again very soon, so I figure many shops will hold their breath

DROS is dealer’s record of sale.  If you don’t buy from a California dealer, there would be no DROS!!!

Outside of sacramento city, reloading components can be direct shipped to the buyer.  Within the city all components, screws springs etc have to ship to FFL by county ordinance.  I’m in the county, no restrictions yet.

I fully expect this new loophole to close very soon.   CA never quits with new laws that have to wind thru court before shot down

17 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Good grief.  Right... WE voted for the ammo law.  And WE didn't vote it out.

Shame on us.  Hell.... shame on me ~ it's obviously my fault.  -_-

im sorry hardpan , that was not aimed at anyone specifically , it was driven more by my desire to live there but refusal to put up with these laws i know its not your fault , i understand yuo are being overridden , im having the same experience here in MN this is also a liberal state but so far not quite like CA , but i am going to move even tho at this point in ;life its the last thing i want to do , its just a bit of time with grandkids away , 

• Like 2

@watab kid, the maternal side of my family has roots in Minnesota; good German and Norwegian stock, with surnames like Marquardt and Corneliussen....  I'm sadly happy that those kin who moved west long ago did not live to see what has become of both states.  :(

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

@watab kid, the maternal side of my family has roots in Minnesota; good German and Norwegian stock, with surnames like Marquardt and Corneliussen....  I'm sadly happy that those kin who moved west long ago did not live to see what has become of both states.  :(

aint that the truth - i know a lot of marguarts here , none of the other you mentioned , but then im an import here back in 82 , i lived my early years in NE IA , then all over the south for a few years , before coming here , ive enjoyed a lot of it hated a bit of it and tolerated the majority of it because i married here and majority pof my family is here , but we are going to move - this state taxes everything and we are retired now so have to consider that some , my wife is a ot younger and will outlive me - i kinda want there to be something left for her when im gone , this state would rob you of that , 

my younger family on my mothers side moved out west to oregon back in the days of covered wagons , they returned in the 20s [100 years ago] im sure they would not believe what became of that area either , those that stayed are hops farmers and i think they are doing well , but its still not the atmosphere i want to live in till i die , id rather return to my fathers side in northern AR or southern MO , but my wife is looking to wyoming or tennessee at this point , 

Palmetto State Armory and others are shipping ammo right to your door in Kalifornia now. Just got off the phone with them.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2024 at 3:41 AM, watab kid said:

…as they really did vote their own problems in , you could vote them out you know ?…

Assuming only legal votes are counted.

IF all California gun owners got off their butts and voted only pro-Second Amendment civil rights it wouldn't be an issue (also if they got off their butts and emailed our members of the Legislature a couple of times a month to protest the anti-civil rights bills), but most would rather whine about the laws in the LGS, at the range, or online rather than vote or contact their representatives.

Or they think other issues are more important.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

Or they are fed up so they up and leave

When there aren’t enough to stand with you, sometimes it’s better to go to where there are!!

It’s called tactical relocation, or finding a stronger position to fight from!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

Or they are fed up so they up and leave

We were almost ready to do just that.  Unfortunately last fall our finances took a big hit so it's no longer economically feasible this year.

• Sad 1

Property taxes elsewhere are MANY percentage points lower than those in California!!  Tax assessments are also far lower than the same size/condition properties in California!

I hear that California wants to charge some kind of “exit tax” to those who sell out and move!!  That is absolutely ridiculous and unconstitutional!

Texas property tax rates are much higher than mine in CA.  This is somewhat offset by no income tax.

Every relo is unique.  I read enough “buyers remorse “ stories to convince me these folks up and moved without the understanding the ramifications.

We are too old to pull up and start over, so I don’t have a dog in this event beyond academic consideration.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Property taxes elsewhere are MANY percentage points lower than those in California!!  Tax assessments are also far lower than the same size/condition properties in California!

I hear that California wants to charge some kind of “exit tax” to those who sell out and move!!  That is absolutely ridiculous and unconstitutional!

As high as vehicle registration etc is in CA, it would have more than triples moving to KY.   

Property tax in KY average rate is about 0.80% compared to CA rate of 0.71%.

In general rates for water and utilities are also higher.  

On 2/1/2024 at 1:24 PM, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

That was blocked by a judge yesterday and most places no longer do the background check... at least until the state gets another judge to block the block....

The CA DOJ notified all the registered FFL's & CA Ammo sale licensees that the they are not to follow the state regulations re ammo sales.  The CADOJ has appealed to the 9th Circus for an stay of St. Benitez's permanent injunction. 

Based on the court's history of a majority being knuckle dragging hoplophopes they likely will further delay granting full 2A rights to citizens & legal resident aliens residents by granting a stay like they did to end freedom week.  St. Benitez's opinion decimated the CADOJ's briefs saying the pre 1868 analogs were either not analogs or analogs are not acceptable because they violate the 14th amendment by being discriminatory based on race, religion or slavery.

P.S. CA & other states have used these 14A violating analogs exercises in other cases.

• Thanks 1

Everyone in Kalifornia is to Blame .

If Everyone would get out and vote .

Kalifornia could change things around. 

Yes it is your responsibility

Don't just set at home and bitch online .

Take your ass to the voting booth and do something about it .

Infact We All Need to Make it to the voting booth and remind all the People in office from the local all the way to the top

They Work For The People

Its not the other way around. 

We need to put many of them Blue & Red on the unemployment line .

So Saith The Rooster 

1 hour ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Everyone in Kalifornia is to Blame .

If Everyone would get out and vote .

Kalifornia could change things around. 

Yes it is your responsibility

Don't just set at home and bitch online .

Take your ass to the voting booth and do something about it .

Infact We All Need to Make it to the voting booth and remind all the People in office from the local all the way to the top

They Work For The People

Its not the other way around. 

We need to put many of them Blue & Red on the unemployment line .

So Saith The Rooster 

Is everyone in Michigan to blame for Gretchen Whitmer?

• Like 1