SASS Wire Forum

New Hat

Lynyrd Skynyrd

I want a new hat, where is a good place to purchase one ? I have a nice Stetson but am looking for something less expensive. I live in San Diego and i will be at EOT.

Thank you for yur input

I don't know how expensive a Stetson is.

Check out D Bar J - not sure if they'll be at EoT or not but if so, well worth any money spent.

They also carry what David calls "Crappy Cowboy Hats".  Good luck with finding most of the blemishes that he identifies.  Still first-rate hats.

• Like 6

First time you shoot in the rain a cheap hat will be ruined.  All but the best Stetson's also fall into this category.

I have a D-J hat that has withstood being soaked thoroughly multiple times and still looks great. All I had to do was let it air dry and then do a little reshaping.

As Chief Rick pointed out the D-J Crappy Cowboy Hats are of excellent quality.

Hats for this game are like firearms. buy once, cry once. 

Edited by Sedalia Dave
  • Like 7

35 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

First time you shoot in the rain a cheap hat will be ruined.  All but the best Stetson's also fall into this category.

I have a D-J hat that has withstood being soaked thoroughly multiple times and still looks great. All I had to do was let it air dry and then do a little reshaping.

As Chief Rick pointed out the D-J Crappy Cowboy Hats are of excellent quality.

Hats for this game are like firearms. buy once, cry once. 

My "exquisite and legendary" :rolleyes: match hats are D_J and they have been thru lots weather condition.  Yea, they show it also..

Sassy and I also favor our hats from Mike's Custom Hatter in Longview, TX  (https://www.mikescustomhatters.com/).  Mike is also very good in hat repairs (liner, sweatband, brim/crown shaping, etc). 

Hats from Hat-co in Garland, TX offers many popular hat brands (Resistol, Stetson, Charlie One Horse) and grades (X).  Your choice in grade may vary in miles. 

• Like 1

If you are looking for something less expensive than a Stetson, you can go to Wild West Mercantile in Mesa. As an EOT Sponsor, they usually print a substantial coupon in the shooters book, but it has to be used the week of EOT. Also try Heritage Hats on Cave Creek Rd. You have to see that place to believe it. I've bought hats at both places and been very pleased with the prices.

Our house for EOT is in Cave Creek so need to go by that spot. 

Maybe before my liver/onions and strawberry shortcake at Horney Toad. :D

6 hours ago, Stump Water said:

Edited by Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator

Here's one for ya. You don't want to look like a tenderfoot with a brand new hat. 

th.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

they make mine look really nice.image.thumb.jpeg.462e193d8f7d925f531e874c829e965e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2024 at 12:13 PM, Lynyrd Skynyrd said:

........... I have a nice Stetson but am looking for something less expensive. ........................ i will be at EOT.

Thank you for yur input

Stetson hat prices have a large spectrum.

What is the price point of your "nice" Stetson?

I have a Stetson Bozeman hat as my main outfit hat. Its 100% wool felt. It is super comfortable and very cool. Keeps its shape pretty well and I wore it in a 2 day match that rained so much it took me a month to dry out. my head never got wet and it never hurt the hat. I think its around the 120 mark. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Rattlesnake Slim said:

If you are looking for something less expensive than a Stetson, you can go to Wild West Mercantile in Mesa. As an EOT Sponsor, they usually print a substantial coupon in the shooters book, but it has to be used the week of EOT. Also try Heritage Hats on Cave Creek Rd. You have to see that place to believe it. I've bought hats at both places and been very pleased with the prices.

Since he will be at EOT this year, do you have a list of vendors for this years EOT that he could look at to see which hat vendors will be on site?  I just looked at the website and it only shows 2023 vendors.

On 1/15/2024 at 2:13 PM, Lynyrd Skynyrd said:

I want a new hat, where is a good place to purchase one ? I have a nice Stetson but am looking for something less expensive. I live in San Diego and i will be at EOT.

Thank you for yur input

Support a hat vender at EoT

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Since he will be at EOT this year, do you have a list of vendors for this years EOT that he could look at to see which hat vendors will be on site?  I just looked at the website and it only shows 2023 vendors.

Right now Colorado Hat Company is the only hat manufacturer vending at EOT. However, many of the 45+ vendors sell various clothing items, including hats. I just received the ad copy for Wild West Mercantile and it is a 25% off coupon, good from 2/26 through 3/11. It is in the Shooter's Book. Also don't forget about the Cowboy Swap Meet Thursday night from 6:00 to 8:00pm.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2024 at 2:29 PM, Rattlesnake Slim said:

The last time I tried to by the hatter out Cave Creek way he was not open on weekends. Make plans accordingly. 

im all for you buying from a SASS vendor , i think thats the right thing to do if someone has what you want , i do believe in wearing what you want over and above where you get it , 

i got mine - my first and only - in an antique store in south western ,  mn , it was fairly cheap , it didnt fit well so i adjusted that , but i liked it and i still do , as ratty as it gets i dont see myself changing ever and at my age i doubt that thinking will change either , i love my hat and i care for it - its pretty plain and simple but well made , 

good luck in your quest for a new one  , i wish you all the luck in the world , hope you find the same fondness for yours ive found for mine they do have a bit of personality - or non personality that we strive for i think , like everything else we do in this game we all have reasons be them right or wrong , 

ive always felt if we had to dress up to shoot we should have a reason for all the elements be them new , old , traditional , personal , or just plain because it was what we had [utilitarian] its got a reason for your selection , 

i came back to mention that some of what i wear is because i met good folks in this game that mfgr the things i bought , so support our group if you can , i do , its the right thing to dso , 

Edited by watab kid

I am hoping to stay under $200 if at all possible. I figured there would be some selection at EOT and I do prefer purchasing from SASS supporters. I do appreciate all of the responses.

• Like 1

Colorado Hats Company is certainly good to check if a vendor there.  Sassy has one of theirs and it seems to be well made.

Howdy L.S.,

I can appreciate your desire to keep the price of your next hat less than $200. I believe that pretty much rules out most of the independent, custom hat makers. By all means try to use an EOT vendor if possible. Otherwise, I would haunt second hand stores for bargains. You can always reblock any decent hat you find to suit your style with a tea kettle. I've done that to each of my (way too many) hats.

Rev. Chase

• Like 1

dittos what he said 

15 hours ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Howdy L.S.,

I can appreciate your desire to keep the price of your next hat less than $200. I believe that pretty much rules out most of the independent, custom hat makers. By all means try to use an EOT vendor if possible. Otherwise, I would haunt second hand stores for bargains. You can always reblock any decent hat you find to suit your style with a tea kettle. I've done that to each of my (way too many) hats.

Rev. Chase

$200 bucks wont go far on most hats or boots these days , im not trying to pry more out of you by any means , i too would want to be in that range , his suggesting of the second hand stores is a good one - might have to hit a number of them to find it but thats what i did 25yrs ago and am still wearing mine - i think i paid $20 for it and sank another bit of effort in to get it to fit right , i had about three stetsons to choose from where i found them , none of those fit at all , the one i bought was a very good hat , make it a quest - find something that works , 

• Like 1

It took 25 years but I have 14 hats, 12 of which I still shoot in, and didn't pay over $50 for any.  Clearance, thrift stores, ebay, shooters quitting, etc.  Did some reshaping on a lot of them.  Good luck.

• Like 3

If you decide to go the route of thrift stores, take a side trip to Prescott, about 1 1/2 hours north. The downtown area has many thrift and "antique" stores and they are filled with western clothing. Many hats, old and older.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rattlesnake Slim said:

If you decide to go the route of thrift stores, take a side trip to Prescott, about 1 1/2 hours north. The downtown area has many thrift and "antique" stores and they are filled with western clothing. Many hats, old and older.

Historically, great place to visit also (visit The Palace on Whiskey Row).....make it even more interesting with stop in Jerome.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2024 at 4:44 PM, Lynyrd Skynyrd said:

I am hoping to stay under $200 if at all possible. I figured there would be some selection at EOT and I do prefer purchasing from SASS supporters. I do appreciate all of the responses.

What size?  I have more than I will use.  Assuming used is a possibility.  

Edited by J-BAR #18287
  • Like 1

Go to Boot Barn, they have one not far from EOT. They have a wide variety of hats so you can find one that fits well. you can easily find one under $200 that is good quality and even find decent ones for under $100. My Stetson from there was $140ish.

7 hours ago, Ramblin' Rose SASS #2811 said:

If you wear a 7 1/4 or so, I have about 12 hats that need a new home. My husband, Mad Dog Too passed last year and collected hats. Some are custom made. Let me know and we can meet up at EOT. Mostly in the $50 range. 

Can I take a look?

In Prescott, we have Puttin' On The Hats, The Prescott Trading Company, and another shop diagonally from St. Michael's Hotel, all on the plaza. Ogg's Hogan on Cortez will have used hats in the back. I think they are closing in March. And there is a Boot Barn in Prescott Valley.