SASS Wire Forum

Reloading for 2024 maches

Matthew Duncan

I bought 5 lbs of TiteGroup from

a pard for $30.00. I’ve got about 3000 primers and about 500 sg primers. I’ve got about 12 boxes of shotgun loaded and enough Clays powder for another 500 rounds plus about 10 boxes of factory. The only thing I need is shot! 

I'm still using some $140/case Federal Large Pistol primers. Just picked some Winchester AALite from a buddy. I still have a 5 lb jug of Trail Boss and two jugs of Red Dot. Loaded up a bunch of 12 GA so now I'm out of Clays.

Fortunately I’m not the type that believes in “Just in time delivery”.  I don’t buy a life time of supplies but would buy inventory ahead when I’d visit the LGS.  I’d estimate 2025 -26  I’ll start using the primers I bought after the China Flu panic.

We still have a pretty strong local NE Ohio chain of gun stores that Rye was referring to. I have a smaller gun store about half hour away that I have bought 4 of my last 5 guns from. Headed there next week for another toy. It will be strange since it won't have a cylinder, lever or SxS barrels. 

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

a pard for $30.00. I’ve got about 3000 primers and about 500 sg primers. I’ve got about 12 boxes of shotgun loaded and enough Clays powder for another 500 rounds plus about 10 boxes of factory. The only thing I need is shot! 

Contact Shootin' Fox.  He makes and ships shot.

image.png.22a863fbf409713a60353b7c1971de7c.png

im still using some old stock , ive not bought anything new for a year or two but some of what im ;loading was purchased at the newer price points [mostly primers] not powder , i bought a lot of that back when it was cheap , 

I started straightening up my “gun room” a few weeks ago when my patience with the healing of my foot reached its limit.

I’d just received a batch of .45 Colt and another of .45acp and when I stacked the Colt ammo and put the remaining bullets back on the shelf, the shelf broke loose at the back. I pulled the whole lot off the shelf and shored it up, then rearranged it all better.

While I was going through everything on the shelves, I found another 3,500 RNFP .45 bullets, 492 Cheddite 209 primers and 300 .38 spl once fired brass cases.

That was the beginning of some serendipitous discoveries!

As I began to consolidate the components I had in the gun room, I went out to my shop and went through the components I had stored there. I found another 3,000 Cheddites, 2,000 Federal large pistol primers, 1,000 S&B large rifle primers, a pound of Accurate #5, an eight pound jug of International Clays, two boxes of .45 bullets that I didn’t know I had, and about 65 pounds of #7 lead shot that I’d forgotten about!

With the components I already knew I had and yesterday’s rediscovery, as well as several more shelves of stuff in the shop that I haven’t sorted through yet, I think that I’m probably set for another few months. 

At least I hope so!!

10 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I would be panicking.

I resupply when metallic cartridge primers get down to 30,000, shotgun primers get down to 2,000, bullets to 12,000, or I open my last 8 lb jug of powder, shotgun or metallic cartridge.

I try to keep a year’s supply loaded and 10 cases of factory Remington GC, for the hulls.

I already have almost all my 2024 major match ammo loaded. I just need another case or so of once fired shotgun.

Which reminds me I need to buy more .38 and .32 brass.

I’m loading for multiple people though.

2 hours ago, Toranado, SASS # 58447 said:

if you guys have primers and powder that old, Your not shooting enough!!!!!  Lol

Agreed.  I haven't bought primers or powder since before "the greatest gun salesman of all time was President."  Still not "low"... but would like to resupply sooner vs. later!

37 minutes ago, Chancy Shot, SASS #67163 said:

It must be nice to have money and forethought come together at the same time.

Chancy

Prices ain’t going.down I’m a figuring.  The 500 pounds of water softener salt lasted us 4 years.  This time I bought 1,000 pounds.  More money up front and saving money in the long term.  My same reasoning I try to buy reloading powder in 8 pound jugs instead of 1 pounders.

59 minutes ago, Chancy Shot, SASS #67163 said:

It must be nice to have money and forethought come together at the same time.

Chancy

Tis why with one .44-40 rifle purchased 3 years ago, and only used in WB... I bought 2,000 Starline cases when they allowed backorders while I awaited my new-to-me rifle.  Like with a lot of other things... buy once, cry once.   Neither of the last few times someone has cried about not having any .44-40s, I didn't blink... Remington #10 caps... yeh, even buying a thousand at a time they get gone thru pretty quickly... I have a standing order for a 1,000 in at my local fun house... when they get some, I will too!  

4 hours ago, Toranado, SASS # 58447 said:

I always keep about 30-40k primers in the cabinet and the plenty of powder.

if you guys have primers and powder that old, Your not shooting enough!!!!!  Lol

Can I borrow 5k federal spp - I'm out. 

Hells Comin 

33 minutes ago, Hells Comin said:

Can I borrow 5k federal spp - I'm out. 

Hells Comin 

8 minutes ago, Toranado, SASS # 58447 said:

Sure.  Just come to Illinois to pick up!!!

Surely you don't want them returned unused...   Shipping them back when I'm done will be much easier!  

4 minutes ago, Toranado, SASS # 58447 said:

Or I’ve got some really nice once fired primers I could sell ya really cheap!!   I’ll ship those free!!

I did say borrow,  yes count out 5k used and bring them with you when you guys return to Arizona. 

21 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

3000 primers what are you going to do the other half of a year...

The wife found a sleeve of primers when we moved. Too bad they didn't last long. Now and then I find bargains from shooters selling their stores at discounted prices (as of today). 

I bought 2K .38 Special brass when I started reloading for SASS. Later I bought buckets of brass from lost brass matches. 

Get your stock of primers and powder before they go up in the next year. 

I am still loading shotgun shells with shot I paid 15.00/bag for and 20,000 primers I got free from a friend of mine who worked at a gun store and he got me them from a guy who no longer wanted them. Using up the 5,000 AA shells I got free from another guy who was moving. I load for 4 in my family so I take any deal I can get.

I loaded from 2014 to 2016 and had enough ammo until I started to run low this past Summer. 

I broke out the Hornady Progressive to start again, but it had frozen.  It appears that that Drive Hub, made of a different metal than the rest of the press, seized to the Sub Plate.  After correcting that I was in business again.  I am reloading for myself and some friends.  I have more powder and primers than I will ever live long enough to use.  I noticed the Winchester Small Pistol Primers I am using went from $17 to $31 per thousand.  I am into the $31 boxes now.

I enjoy reloading.  I do 100 to 150 a day, then go do something else.  At 76 I don't stay in one place very long.

Archived