SASS Wire Forum

Scammers?

Jeb Stuart #65654

Has anyone else been contacted by a Hillbilly Drifter or Lefty McDavis?  Both of these individuals are listed as guests, agreed to buy something, then after I answered their message never heard from them again.

There was a Hillbilly Drifter here in WV who shot for about two years, but he was a member.  He sold everything and hasn't shot SASS for years.

1 hour ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

Has anyone else been contacted by a Hillbilly Drifter or Lefty McDavis?  Both of these individuals are listed as guests, agreed to buy something, then after I answered their message never heard from them again.

Never heard of Drifter, Lefty is another story.:angry:

Go to the Classifieds and read the two most recent posts on the Scammers thread. He's not someone that I want to deal with in the least.;) 

Hillbilly Drifter is not a scammer.  Used to shoot with The Tusco Long Riders.
He's a good guy.

As Frontier Lone Rider said, he has quit shooting CAS, and sold all his stuff -- I bought a bunch of stuff from him a coupla years ago. 

Here's a link to him:

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/profile/86774-hillbilly-drifter/

--Dawg

2 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Hillbilly Drifter is not a scammer.  Used to shoot with The Tusco Long Riders.
He's a good guy.

As Frontier Lone Rider said, he has quit shooting CAS, and sold all his stuff -- I bought a bunch of stuff from him a coupla years ago. 

Here's a link to him:

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/profile/86774-hillbilly-drifter/

--Dawg

Maybe someone using his name, as he was listed as a guest.  Also kept telling me, check is in the mail, could I ship early, and on and on.

19 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Never heard of Drifter, Lefty is another story.:angry:

Go to the Classifieds and read the two most recent posts on the Scammers thread. He's not someone that I want to deal with in the least.;) 

Thanks, Just read the post on Lefty.  As both individuals that have contacted me about my ads, then never sent payment, I think I will just ignore anyone that is listed as a guest.

11 minutes ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

Thanks, Just read the post on Lefty.  As both individuals that have contacted me about my ads, then never sent payment, I think I will just ignore anyone that is listed as a guest.

I agree :lol:

14 minutes ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

Excellent idea.

26 minutes ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

Maybe a bit more Cowboy to state in the post "only available to SASS members" or "must have a valid SASS number to purchase" but I do agree with the sentiment regarding guest status.

The current rules only require SASS membership to start a thread in the classifieds, so not required to respond to a post. I think being clear in advance is fair notice and better than simply ignoring some non-member interest in posted items.

18 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Doesn't someone need to benefit financially in order to be considered a "Scammer"?

Phantom

I feel that if you attempt to scam someone, you are still a scammer, even if it didn't work

9 minutes ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

I feel that if you attempt to scam someone, you are still a scammer, even if it didn't work

Maybe they didn't get your communication...maybe it went into their Spam folder...or...maybe they're just the crappy "scammers".

:rolleyes:

Phantom

I can understand, and can partially agree, with those that are wanting to ignore “guest” buyers but not all are to be avoided.  My first rifle was bought here as a “guest” and we all know what that one rifle led to.  Certainly there will be those that post that I should have gone ahead and became a member first but the fact-of-the-matter is that I wasn’t convinced that I was going to stick with this sport long-term.  The point is to be careful.  That “guest” buyer that you choose to ignore may be a potential new shooter that you just soured. 

I've been in this forum for years and have noticed that there are a bunch of trustworthy and respectable Pards here that are registered as "guest". So I don't feel you can just blanket accuse a guest as someone not to deal with.

14 hours ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

Maybe someone using his name, as he was listed as a guest.  Also kept telling me, check is in the mail, could I ship early, and on and on.

Maybe not eliminate Guests, but that "ship early" request prior to having received the payment is definitely a Red Flag.

I might ship early if it was a member that has several posts.

16 hours ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

Hillbilly Drifter, SASS 106017 last logged onto the Wire in Feb. 2023.    Since the Wire doesn't allow duplication of names, can you tell me the exact login name of your person?  I don't see anything close to it.  You can also hit the "report" button, (under the 3 dots on the upper right of the PM) and then I can see it directly.

If you wish, you can send me a PM about the other and I'll give you what information I have.

27 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I've been in this forum for years and have noticed that there are a bunch of trustworthy and respectable Pards here that are registered as "guest". So I don't feel you can just blanket accuse a guest as someone not to deal with.

I agree entirely. 

A few years ago, I liquidated a guy's reloading equipment/materials by selling it in the Classifieds. About a 1/4 or it was sold to "guests" or ex-members of SASS. They all paid promptly and I had no problems at all. That said, they all also had a long time presence on the SASS Forums. The way to tell is to click on the name on the post, it'll tell when the person joined the Forums. The person in question (Lefty) on this thread joined Dec 2, 2023.

Also keep in mind the just because someone has a SASS number listed DOES NOT mean that they are still a SASS member. Anyone selling or buying items from a private party on the internet, including the SASS Classifieds, would be wise to use a little due diligence before buying or selling to persons unknown to them.

1 hour ago, Eliphalet R. Moderator said:

Hillbilly Drifter, SASS 106017 last logged onto the Wire in Feb. 2023.    Since the Wire doesn't allow duplication of names, can you tell me the exact login name of your person?  I don't see anything close to it.  You can also hit the "report" button, (under the 3 dots on the upper right of the PM) and then I can see it directly.

If you wish, you can send me a PM about the other and I'll give you what information I have.

Sorry, I deleted that post to my ad awhile ago,

On 12/13/2023 at 6:29 AM, Eyesa Horg said:

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, I'm just deciding who I will deal with in the future.

On 12/13/2023 at 7:38 AM, July Smith said:

Really simple to just hold the item until funds arrive. 

I do typically list SASS related things here first, but usually end up relisting on Gunbroker with much better results.   

I never ship anything until I have received the funds.  The issue is with non-paying buyers, they waste my time and potentially cost me a sale if some one else is interested.

5 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Heaven help us all if anyone ever joins SASS and uses the alias....... 'Scammer'.

;)

..........Widder

I'm changing mine to Scummer...so what!

Oh...you said Scammer...never mind.

On 12/13/2023 at 7:08 AM, Cypress Sun said:

I agree entirely. 

A few years ago, I liquidated a guy's reloading equipment/materials by selling it in the Classifieds. About a 1/4 or it was sold to "guests" or ex-members of SASS. They all paid promptly and I had no problems at all. That said, they all also had a long time presence on the SASS Forums. The way to tell is to click on the name on the post, it'll tell when the person joined the Forums. The person in question (Lefty) on this thread joined Dec 2, 2023.

Also keep in mind the just because someone has a SASS number listed DOES NOT mean that they are still a SASS member. Anyone selling or buying items from a private party on the internet, including the SASS Classifieds, would be wise to use a little due diligence before buying or selling to persons unknown to them.

It’s easy to change your SASS number to anything you want. I changed mine to SASS #6 a few years ago for a couple of weeks and nobody said a thing. 

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

Dam', helpful to us or them.  Like How to open a gunsafe.

They already know it,obviously.

If they are clever enough to Photoshop a piece of paper with the date or alias into a stolen photo, making a realistic looking fake account isn’t hard to do. A phone call is the best defense against the dark arts. 

And yes, I have seen scammers photoshop a piece of paper onto a photo. It took a few seconds of studying the photo to realize what had been done. The request should be, have the paper slightly under the item. Crinkles in the paper and shadows are much harder to fake. 

as long as you are not willing to do your due diligence in detecting a fraud, scammers will play on your ignorance on what is possible to do these days. And with AI, it’s only going to get worse. AI can generate what appears to be a photo of a real person, but everything about it is made up from the color of the eyes and hair to the structure of their nose and chin. 

Watch the show Catfish. Scammers play every trick in the book to either mess with someone or extract money from them. It is a classic fraud when they claim to not have time to make a phone call, send more photos, or other simple requests. 

Trust no one. Don’t get in a hurry. Don’t get greedy. A scammer creates a sense of urgency to make you think you will lose out on a great deal if you don’t act fast. 

12 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

It’s easy to change your SASS number to anything you want. I changed mine to SASS #6 a few years ago for a couple of weeks and nobody said a thing. 

And now you are 007

7 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

And now you are 007

Ah, see how easy it is? And now it’s gone.

9 hours ago, Cholla said:

If they are clever enough to Photoshop a piece of paper with the date or alias into a stolen photo, making a realistic looking fake account isn’t hard to do. A phone call is the best defense against the dark arts. 

And yes, I have seen scammers photoshop a piece of paper onto a photo. It took a few seconds of studying the photo to realize what had been done. The request should be, have the paper slightly under the item. Crinkles in the paper and shadows are much harder to fake. 

as long as you are not willing to do your due diligence in detecting a fraud, scammers will play on your ignorance on what is possible to do these days. And with AI, it’s only going to get worse. AI can generate what appears to be a photo of a real person, but everything about it is made up from the color of the eyes and hair to the structure of their nose and chin. 

Watch the show Catfish. Scammers play every trick in the book to either mess with someone or extract money from them. It is a classic fraud when they claim to not have time to make a phone call, send more photos, or other simple requests. 

Trust no one. Don’t get in a hurry. Don’t get greedy. A scammer creates a sense of urgency to make you think you will lose out on a great deal if you don’t act fast. 

I’ve asked for the seller to put there driver license next to the gun so that I can see the DL and the serial number. I will only send funds to the name and address on the DL. 

On 12/15/2023 at 5:55 PM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I'm changing mine to Scummer...so what!

Oh...you said Scammer...never mind.

You can't do that. We wouldn't know how to act without a Phantom on here. LOL See ya down the trail.

TM

This can be resolved by using GunTab.  Seller doesn’t get the money until the buyer is happy. Buyer doesn’t get the gun until the seller is happy. Three percent is a cheap form of insurance. 

Archived