SASS Wire Forum

Classic cowboy/Gunfighter

sarcasmn

So I understand you cannot shoot Classic Cowboy Gunfighter style.  New to SASS and trying to get my equipment and understand the rules.  

I was thinking of getting a hammered shotgun to shoot in classic cowboy but you cannot shoot gunfighter style so I am trying to figure out what category I would fit in.  I have a ‘73 rifle so I cannot shoot B Western, very confusing. 

You would just shoot in Gunfighter category.  Or aged-based Gunfighter (Senior Gunfighter, for example) if offered.  If you registered here on the Wire in 2009 then how come you are just starting?  That's kind of a long detour. :)

edit: and you can shoot a hammer shotgun in any category.  And dress up and look good and all that stuff. 

I registered in 2009 and planed to start shooting matches but I got promoted at work and life got busy.  Now that I am retired I would like get involved in matches.  I have a pair of Rugers and a Taylor 73 annd Rossi 92 lever action  I am just trying to decide what kind of shotgun to buy.  I do have a Norinco 97 but I am sure that would need some work to make competition ready. 

I live in Georgia now but the nearest club to me seems to be the East Alabama Gun Club Russel County Regulators which is about an hour away. 

I always suggest people start with the shotgun action that they are most familiar with.  If you shot a pump, say from a LE or military background, start with a 97.  If you are familiar with SXSs from hunting, start with a SXS.  Remember, you are only loading the 97 one round at a time, not stoking it.  The 97 as is, is probably a good starting point.

So why not go to a match and try out several options firsthand? Might find something at a great price while you’re there.

As has been stated shoot in the gunfighter category if you’re going to shoot gunfighter.

Welcome and enjoy!

Howdy Sarcasmn,

Don't over think the category deal. It sounds like you have all the guns you need to start participating. So, Participate! If you want to shoot gunfighter you can with the guns you have. You can fit in a bunch of other categories as well. Go to the shoots, you'll meet some fine folks and they can give you all of the good advise you need. Don't worry about being "competitive" right out of the box. Just shoot, ask questions, listen to the good shooters and by all means have fun. You'll only be competing against your self for a while anyway.

Rev. Chase

If Gunfighter is what you want to shoot then by all means shoot Gunfighter. You can dress Classic Cowboy and use a hammer double if you want but most gunfighters are using either a 97, 87 or hammerless double. You can shoot Classic Cowboy and shoot it double duelist.

As Mister Badly said, with a 92 you can shoot B Western and that category allows gunfighter or duelist or traditional for pistols. Also any SASS shotgun.

If you’ll go to the match with the attitude that you’re going to BE SAFE and HAVE FUN, the rest will pretty much take care of itself!!

Find somebody, (contact the match director at the match you’re planning to attend) to kinda’ guide you through the ins and outs, you’ll find that it’s like pouring water into a glass! You’ll just settle into the game and get what you want out of it!

Thanks everyone, Eliphalet that matrix helps.   There is a club about an hour away in Alabama and I contacted the match director.  I am going there next saturday.

On 11/24/2023 at 10:22 PM, sarcasmn said:

I live in Georgia now but the nearest club to me seems to be the East Alabama Gun Club Russel County Regulators which is about an hour away. 

Where do you live in Georgia ?  We have several great Clubs, outside the Atlanta area; Cherokee Gun Club ( Gainesville ), South River Gun Club ( Covington), River Bend Gun Club ( Dawsonville)  check out this link:  http://www.sassgeorgia.com/Clubs.html

On 11/24/2023 at 9:22 PM, sarcasmn said:

An hour away is not bad at all.

On 11/25/2023 at 6:02 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

If Gunfighter is what you want to shoot then by all means shoot Gunfighter. You can dress Classic Cowboy and use a hammer double if you want but most gunfighters are using either a 97, 87 or hammerless double. You can shoot Classic Cowboy and shoot it double duelist.

Exactly.  I've only been shooting for 2 years but I've been gunfighter every time.  It's awkward, confusing, and I've earned a ton of Ps, but I have also had fun and done what I wanted the whole time.

13 hours ago, sarcasmn said:

Thanks everyone, Eliphalet that matrix helps.   There is a club about an hour away in Alabama and I contacted the match director.  I am going there next saturday.

Be sure to come back and tell us how it went.  Whenever you can stop smiling!  

On 11/26/2023 at 9:00 PM, T-Square said:

html

I live about an hour and a half south and west of Atlanta. Just outside Lagrange.  I am about 20 minutes from Alabama. 

On 11/26/2023 at 9:34 AM, Eliphalet R. Moderator said:

I don't know if this would help, but one of our members, Ripsaw, created this Category Matrix that might clarify the category requirements:

SASS Category Matrix v2.5 (8).pdf 163.44 kB · 25 downloads

Interesting.  I hadn't realized that Cap and Ball revolvers are allowed in Frontier Cartridge.  Not sure why you'd want to register that way instead of Frontiersman, unless there weren't enough shooters registered for Frontiersman. Or if you wanted to shoot your C&B two-handed.

31 minutes ago, Diamond Jake said:

Interesting.  I hadn't realized that Cap and Ball revolvers are allowed in Frontier Cartridge.  Not sure why you'd want to register that way instead of Frontiersman, unless there weren't enough shooters registered for Frontiersman. Or if you wanted to shoot your C&B two-handed.

Yep, Blackpowder and Cap n Ball revolvers are allowed in every category 

Archived