Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Loading Ammo With Limited Equipment


Rooster Ron Wayne

Recommended Posts

This video is for demonstration purposes only.

 

I have been loading ammo for more years then I care to remember.

On many occasions I have herd people say the can't afford all the equipment or don't have the space to load ammo.

I keep telling people it don't take much to get started and learn .

And you really Don't need a lot of space to do it. 

So now I'm going to show the people who just don't know how easy it is ,  or how little space is need .

 

A Lee hand loader kit.

 

This is 44 special loading with  6.4gr of Unique with a Lee 7cc dipper & Federal Large pistol primer ,  Hornady 180 gr XTP JHP bullet .

No this is Not how I load regularly. 

But this would be my emergency backup plan if needed .

Lee all in one loader kit is all you need to get started 

Edited by Rooster Ron Wayne
Reload video
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes of buffering for the first 5 seconds of the 2 minute video translates to me not bothering to watch it.  Don't know why it's taking so long....

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Griff said:

30 minutes of buffering for the first 5 seconds of the 2 minute video translates to me not bothering to watch it.  Don't know why it's taking so long....

I find a lot of vids do that. Drives me more nuts! Agreed, end up not watching. 30 seconds buffer 2-5 seconds watching, repeat. As aggravating as Otto.:D

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

This video is for demonstration purposes only.

 

I have been loading ammo for more years then I care to remember.

On many occasions I have herd people say the can't afford all the equipment or don't have the space to load ammo.

I keep telling people it don't take much to get started and learn .

And you really Don't need a lot of space to do it. 

So now I'm going to show the people who just don't know how easy it is ,  or how little space is need .

 

A Lee hand loader kit.

 

This is 44 special loading with  6.4gr of Unique with a Lee 7cc dipper & Federal Large pistol primer ,  Hornady 180 gr XTP JHP bullet .

No this is Not how I load regularly. 

But this would be my emergency backup plan if needed .

Lee all in one loader kit is all you need to get started .

 

I started loading 45 ACP with that little Lee kit in a rented off campus apartment in 1965.  Must have saved me some money, though I can't see how.  War surplus ammo was $3.25 a box of 50 back then and plentiful.

Edited by Rip Snorter
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've done 30-30 with one and got reasonable results. I always wondered about the dipper though, no matter what powder you use, you get the same volume.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Started reloading when I was in high school.  Dad brought a Lee Loader home, handed it to me with a can of powder and couple boxes of primers, and said - "Load these empty .222 Remington cases".

 

So, I read the flyer, literally knocked together the first 20 rounds.  They all fired, and were about as accurate as factory ammo.  He didn't buy another factory box for shooting varmints as long as I was still at home.

 

More than 20 rounds a month, though, not worth the time it takes!

 

good luck, GJ

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I reloaded the video. 

I hope this one is better. 

Phantom We both know this is Not the easy way or the best way.

But it is a way to get started and or a Emergency way of making ammo on a needed basis. 

Just trying to show you don't have to have a lot of expensive equipment to make ammo .

Pluse some of us enjoy the slower things in life .

I enjoy loading many different ways .

It's not a chore if you enjoy it .

Rooster 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Phantom We both know this is Not the easy way or the best way.

It's good to know how to use the tool...for an emergency. 

 

I just figured since it's on the SASS Wire that it was being demonstrated for those that might be thinking of using it for producing their CAS ammo.

 

Phantom

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The concept has intrigued me as well, and to that end I bought a set of 310 tongs and dies for 44-40. It turned out to be a better concept than a reality. Just like the LEE loader, the 310 dies are neck sizing dies. The 310 dies have the advantage of being able to push the shoulder back to whatever is required to chamber. But the sloping sides are left untouched. Not an issue if you have one gun and it has one chamber, not a viable process if you have a pair of revolvers and a rifle that have chambers very different from each other. 

Although I set the project aside, I didn't abandon it completely. I saw a Harrell press, the one made for loading pistol ammunition. It has an opening of about two inches, more than enough for any of the cowboy ammo I load for. 

 

Harrell.thumb.jpg.ac0ace97c0c06cb4e25a42b4e7b3302a.jpg

 

It is an impressively well built little press. It only weighs 4.5 pounds. The linkage has a small amount of cam-over, the ram is drilled completely through and the spent primers are unceremoniously dropped straight down, onto the floor or into a small garbage can. IMO I'd want to use a decapping tool like a FA hand deprimer to keep the crud out of the works. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, "Big Boston" said:

 

I would be interested is the details, pictures if possible. 

 

50+ years ago!  Let's see.  Lee loader kit for 30-30. IMR 3031. Box of bullets.  Primers of course.  And some kind of hammer.  I think I added a Lee hand primer. 20 or so cases.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, "Big Boston" said:

The concept has intrigued me as well, and to that end I bought a set of 310 tongs and dies for 44-40. It turned out to be a better concept than a reality. Just like the LEE loader, the 310 dies are neck sizing dies. The 310 dies have the advantage of being able to push the shoulder back to whatever is required to chamber. But the sloping sides are left untouched. Not an issue if you have one gun and it has one chamber, not a viable process if you have a pair of revolvers and a rifle that have chambers very different from each other. 

Although I set the project aside, I didn't abandon it completely. I saw a Harrell press, the one made for loading pistol ammunition. It has an opening of about two inches, more than enough for any of the cowboy ammo I load for. 

 

Harrell.thumb.jpg.ac0ace97c0c06cb4e25a42b4e7b3302a.jpg

 

It is an impressively well built little press. It only weighs 4.5 pounds. The linkage has a small amount of cam-over, the ram is drilled completely through and the spent primers are unceremoniously dropped straight down, onto the floor or into a small garbage can. IMO I'd want to use a decapping tool like a FA hand deprimer to keep the crud out of the works. 

A few years back we were at the state match and they had a garage sale.  A guy brought in his father-in-law's estate. Lots of 1950-60 era custom guns.  Truck loads of reloading equipment and supplies.  In a big tub I spotted a Lee C press. We pulled it out and I offered $10. He was glad to get rid of it. Then he pulled out another little press like the one above.  Said, "You want this one for $10?"  I knew nothing about but see it was quality made so I bought it.

 

I mounted it upside down and changed the handle around to push bullets out the bottom through a Lee sizing dies. 

5a1c706b6ae06_ResizingbulletsNov2017.thumb.jpg.36a5aad7285a0cb539a2a42b324fd00a.jpg

 

Edited by Warden Callaway
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My low volume back up and load development press is a Lyman Spartan C press mounted to a piece of 1" plywood and clamped in a Workmate stand.  All my Lyman, RCBS, Redding dies etc fit and with pre-primed cases, makes a dandy little setup.  With a RCBS powder measure stand it makes for a good portable setup.  Right now it has my Hornady 366 progress mounted on the opposite side.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought a 44 mag this past year and bought 500 rounds, 500 bullets, and a Lee Loader, I already had primers and powder.  I didn't feel like spending the money on a new tool head for my Dillon just for the dozen or so rounds I shoot when I take it out. I don't like being without ammo for any gun so I load this round as I go. I'll shoot up the factory stuff and then reload the cases.  I take a little more time with the Lee than the instructions call for and I measure the powder drop and OAL but it's been more than sufficient loader. The round I hand load is much better than the factory stuff I bought. I get a kick out of being able to load on the go if need be. I later bought several more of these loaders in 9mm, 38, 45, 308, and 5.56 just in case of a SHTF scenario. 

 

JEL

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

A few years back we were at the state match and they had a garage sale.  A guy brought in his fathis-in-law's estate. Lots of 1950-60 era custom guns.  Truck loads of reloading equipment and supplies.  In a big tub I spotted a Lee C press. We pulled it out and I offered $10. He was glad to get rid of it. Then he pulled out another little press like the one above.  Said, "You want this one for $10?"  I knew nothing about but see it was quality made so I bought it.

 

I mounted it upside down and changed the handle around to push bullets out the bottom through a Lee sizing dies. 

5a1c706b6ae06_ResizingbulletsNov2017.thumb.jpg.36a5aad7285a0cb539a2a42b324fd00a.jpg

 

 

That is a good idea, versatile little press. Mine cost a bit more, the owner knew what he had. 

 

Sometimes it's not what the tool is, it's what you use it for that makes it valuable. 

 

BB

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John E. Law said:

I later bought several more of these loaders in 9mm, 38, 45, 308, and 5.56 just in case of a SHTF scenario. 

 

JEL

Lol .

I too have bought several of these old Lee loaders for Emergency loading on the go or to load other places then home .

9mm  38 & 357  44 S & 44 M  45acp 223  30/30   30/06  45/70  12g 20g  410 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I started loading I used a Lyman T-Mag mounted to a homemade mount that I clamped to the kitchen table.

The Mec Jr. was mounted to an old Formica sink cut-out clamped to the kitchen table as well. (Loaded many a trap round this way).

Both were long before Cowboy shooting.

I still use both presses, (as well as some progressive ones) except they are mounted to benches now.

I also have the same Lee Hand Load Kit in .44 Mag/Spl. but I've never tried it. The video was informative. I may have to dig it out and load 1 or 2 rounds.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

you are correct , it really doesnt take much space , my three reloaders are mounted to a B&D workmate sitting in a small unused bathroom next to the sink , ive reloaded thousands of rounds there about 5'x3' space - supplys are underneath and in the tub 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used a Lee handpress from 1986 to 2003 to load .45 ACP for Bullseye and IPSC matches and about a dozen milsurp cartridges for DCM/CMP matches.

I added a Lee single-stage press when I started shooting cowboy in 2004.

A Lee anniversary kit has most of what is needed for about $175, plus dies.  A tumbler means that brass is shiny enough to pick up, but it is not necessary.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/24/2023 at 7:23 PM, Warden Callaway said:

For the first few years my whole reloading setup, components included, were stored in a briefcase. Stored under the bed. 

 

It's how I've been doing it for 14 years now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/25/2023 at 7:18 AM, Warden Callaway said:

Even with a Dillon 450 and Lyman Sparten press in a reloading area, I still loaded thousands with the Lee "nut cracker" press while setting in my recliner.

 

340216275_ReloadingusingLeehandpressFeb2019.jpg.289b2933f492dc0daa4ded1a1fb8f166.jpg

I have always wanted to try the old Nut cracker but for what they cost nowadays  ? 

I may never know lol 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.