SASS Wire Forum

Broke my press

Sandhills Dude

I use a Lyman turret press for ALL my rifle loads, and it and my dies and cast bullets make some great loads.  A six-hole turret allows either two sets of simple dies or a set of six for a tricky caliber and semi-auto rifles.

good luck, GJ

While I'm sure OLG is right... with a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme, this wouldn't have happened.

I also have a Lyman turret press (old model).  I also reload .45-70 and .38-55, and for both of those I want accuracy.  For precision loading I have both the Redding Ultramag and a Forster Co-Ax.  If I only had to have one it would likely be the Co-Ax press, I do like the "precision" primer seater that's built into the Co-Ax press as well.  Also for precision I do prefer Redding dies.

A few years ago I believe it was Midway USA had Lyman Brass Smith turret press for half retail.  It was such a good deal I bought it even though I have a Dillon 650 with case feeder.  Usually when I see such a good deal I'll buy it even though I don't need it.  I use a Lee Challenger breech lock single stage for load work-up & low volume calibers (30-06, 300 Savage & 44M).  Not worth loading them on the 650 because of the time required to change calibers & maybe priming system.  I gave the Lyman turret press to my son to reload, 9x19. 44M; 223/5.45 & 30-06 & any other caliber firearm he might purchase. 

Howdy Sandhills,

I load everything on a Lyman T-Mag. All my cowboy ammo, as well as 45/70, 30/30 and any other rounds I need. Changing calibers is as simple as changing the turret and shell holder (and primer arm, sometimes). I have a .45 Colt and .38 Spec. turret as well as a 45/70 turret that I also do my other rifle rounds on. 

I've never jumped on the progressive band wagon as I still like to look into the charged shells lined up in the loading blocks.

Rev. Chase

I started with a Lyman Spar-t Press, moved on to a Lyman T-Mag Turret Press, I have three, where I can have my 38-55 Dies on one side and my 44-40 dies on the other with holes to spare.  I have spare turret tops which are easily replaced.  Of course, they no longer make the T-Mag, but they have other newer models.

I always used the Rock Chucker, 4, for Long-Range Ammo and for re-sizing bullets.

I have two Hornady Progressives for the Cowboy Ammo and a Dillon.  One is set-up for 38 Special, one for 45 ACP, and one 45LC.

Toys, we can never have too many toys.

If I ever need to replace my Lyman Turret press it will be with a press that captures primers and directs them down a tube to a container.  I don't like picking spent primers off the floor that bounce out of a tray.

You are used to the Lee. I would suggest getting a 4 hole Lee Classic Cast Turret press. I upgraded from a 3 hole to the 4 hole and there’s a lot of difference. The Classic Cast has a cast iron base and a bigger ram. It runs a lot smoother and I can use the 4th hole for either a powder cop or separate crimp die. Well worth the money. This is one of the best presses for the money out there. 

Or you can spend more ………..

Sam Sackett 

On 7/17/2023 at 8:09 PM, Griff said:

While I'm sure OLG is right... with a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme, this wouldn't have happened.

im a fan and user of the rock chucker for 4570 , i like the simplicity and they dont break 

Every bench needs a single station O frame press. It can do everything. And it will last forever. Once this investment is made you can  branch out to a turret, a progressive, whatever suits your fancy. I have a Redding single stage and a Dillion 550. I use the Redding for load development, ( when you only want 3 of something) case forming, depriming with a RCBS deprime die, hosting the Dillion trimmer. 

1 hour ago, Vail Vigilante said:

Every bench needs a single station O frame press. It can do everything. And it will last forever. Once this investment is made you can  branch out to a turret, a progressive, whatever suits your fancy. I have a Redding single stage and a Dillion 550. I use the Redding for load development, ( when you only want 3 of something) case forming, depriming with a RCBS deprime die, hosting the Dillion trimmer. 

Agree, I have the Lee Challenger single stage mostly used for pulling bullets apart, then I have a 4 hole Lee Turret that I use for my 45-70 loads and have just started using it to load my 38's with black powder. This press enables me to do single stages on it so I can size, deprime and prime and bell the mouth so I can put them into a tray where after getting 50 of them ready I can add black powder to them using my Lee dipper. Then I put them back into the press to finish adding the bullet and crimping. Then I have a Dillon 650XL that I use to do all my smokeless 38's which is my primary load for revolvers and rifle. 

A boy and his toys. LOL 

TM

On 7/17/2023 at 5:25 PM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I use a Lyman turret press for ALL my rifle loads, and it and my dies and cast bullets make some great loads.  A six-hole turret allows either two sets of simple dies or a set of six for a tricky caliber and semi-auto rifles.

good luck, GJ

Generally know better than dispute anything you post so I will not but do desire education.  Why set of six for semi autos unless referring to pistol where you would decap and size, expand, seat bullet and maybe a crimp die If one used a universal decapper I can get to six I guess.  Never used one so it is tumble first for everything that hits the ground or is mixed with brass that has hit the ground.  Most of the time I seat and crimp with the same die except for some of my lee 4 die sets that have the resize decap die, expander die, seating die and a factory crimp die.

The Lee Six Pack/Pro 6000 is a solid option for those calibers. I progressive reload my plainsman and Teddy Roosevelt 45-70 loads on a six pack. Six stations is hard to beat, since it gives you room for the lee universal case expander. Helps flare the case mouth for loading lead rifle rounds like 45-70 and 30-06

9 hours ago, Cpt Dan Blodgett, SASS #75655 said:

Why set of six for semi autos

For example, I load both cast and jacketed bullets in .30-06, and for both bolt guns and semi-autos.  Same in .308. 

So, semi-auto brass gets a small base resizer the first time brass is processed.  Bolt rounds only enough sizing to be a neck and very light body sizing.  And, recently I started  experimenting using an RCBS X-die, which claims to limit stretching of cases during resizing and firing.   Some brass gets that special sizing.  3 dies.

Cast loads get a special belling (Lyman M) die to expand the neck to 0.310 internal diameter.  Jacketed loads work fine with standard expander button in sizer die.  1 die there.

Seater - a standard seater/crimp for the cast bullets.  A Lyman Precision Alignment (sliding collar) seater for jacketed rounds.   2 dies.

Total - six holes filled in the turret. No changing turret plate to switch to loading different bullet or for different gun.

Some folks like a die mounted powder measure.  I don't use that, or I'd need 7.

good luck, GJ

I load on a pair of DILLON 650XLs.  And have for several decades.  My older machine finally gave it up after many hundred thousand rounds.  Shipped it back to DILLON for Re-Hab.  Got it back in 3 weeks and it's like new.  So I added some after-market goodies for the next couple hundred thousand.  Over the years I have also broken a few small parts.  Replaced at no cost.

Some hard to beat you betcha

Archived