SASS Wire Forum

Amazon returns

Rye Miles #13621

I ordered a 16” long Craftsman screwdriver and mistakenly didn’t see the size of the head. Too big for removing the stock screw for a Stoeger. I clicked on their return policy and they gave me a refund and said no return necessary! No wonder Amazon is so successful.

Amazon’s sunk cost of that screwdriver is less than the cost of return postage and labor to restock at their “fulfillment center”.  It’s not customer service.  It’s avoiding the cost of having you send it back to them, with the added spif of your declaration about Amazon’s customer service.

And the Ace Hardware down the street is pushed one more step towards closing.

I understand free market economies, disruptive technologies, personal choice, and Darwinian Principles.

I choose to support Ace Hardware or even Home Depot over Amazon.

21 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Amazon’s sunk cost of that screwdriver is less than the cost of return postage and labor to restock at their “fulfillment center”.  It’s not customer service.  It’s avoiding the cost of having you send it back to them, with the added spif of your declaration about Amazon’s customer service.

I understand free market economies, disruptive technologies, personal choice, and Darwinian Principles.

My son got me an Amazon gift card for Father’s Day. I normally go to the local hardware store as well but I ordered some other stuff from Amazon too. You just can’t beat the convenience.

39 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

One more thing, it’s not my job to keep Ace or Home Depot in business. Amazon hires people too, in fact a neighbor of mine works at Amazon less than a mile from here and makes a decent wage. She loves it there. 

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

One more thing, it’s not my job to keep Ace or Home Depot in business. Amazon hires people too, in fact a neighbor of mine works at Amazon less than a mile from here and makes a decent wage. She loves it there. 

New Amazon shipping center here with 500 people working in it.

1 minute ago, Michigan Slim said:

Same here! We even had people buying houses on the area to be close to work! 

I'm still waiting for my order to be delivered that was ordered and paid for 1/20/23. Can't speak to any human from Amazon, assuming they have them, and all I get from electronic contact is they can't cancel and refund the order because it is out for delivery with a driver, since Feburary! I cancelled my account with Amazon and still no info on the oder. 

Just now, Outlaw Gambler said:

I'm still waiting for my order to be delivered that was ordered and paid for 1/20/23. Can't speak to any human from Amazon, assuming they have them, and all I get from electronic contact is they can't cancel and refund the number because it is out for delivery with a driver, since Feburary! I cancelled my account with Amazon and still no info on the oder.

Something's not right, I've NEVER had a problem with them. Hope you get it straightened out!

There's two Shell gas stations within a 1/4 mile from the Amazon center here and some fast food places, they're benefiting from Amazon being here for sure. Certain times of the day I see Amazon trucks lined up at the gas stations filling up. I also see them in Arby's, Taco Bell, and a couple others at just about any time of the day.

6 minutes ago, Outlaw Gambler said:

I'm still waiting for my order to be delivered that was ordered and paid for 1/20/23. Can't speak to any human from Amazon, assuming they have them, and all I get from electronic contact is they can't cancel and refund the number because it is out for delivery with a driver, since Feburary! I cancelled my account with Amazon and still no info on the oder.

Found this when I asked for “Amazon Contact Phone Number” in a search:

Visit the Amazon Customer Service site to find answers to common problems, use online chat, or call customer service phone number at 1-888-280-4331

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I ordered a 16” long Craftsman screwdriver and mistakenly didn’t see the size of the head. Too big for removing the stock screw for a Stoeger. I clicked on their return policy and they gave me a refund and said no return necessary! No wonder Amazon is so successful.

I have had this happen a number of times. Mostly for lower cost items. Costs more to ship than it’s worth to them. I think it also depends on the size or dimensions. A 16” screwdriver is an odd shape to ship so more cost.

Just an FYI. Napa has Carlyle long shaft screwdrivers at a reasonable price. That’s what I use for my stock screws and it doubled as a hot dog cooker once. ;)

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The local hardware stores, except for True Value, are over-crowded, under- staffed, contractor-oriented disasters.   They all  have problems with stocking things I need, untrained staff, and are not well kept.  and but I shop at the different ones when I need something in a hurry.  

Ace is less than a half mile, Lowes is three miles, True Value is 18 miles, Alliance is two blocks, Walmart is three blocks, (actually 150 yards but I have to walk or drive further) and Amazon is about three miles and is generally cheaper.  There are several specialty stores in the area if I need glass, specialty hardwood,  and some other items.  Only Amazon delivers to my door usually at no cost.

I can usually get an Amazon delivery in less than a week and have gotten one the same day.

Also, I can get clothing (if I don't have to actually try it on), food, kitchen supplies, books and DVDs, office supplies, and almost anything else I need or want from them, (their selection as unbeatable) even in some cases groceries....and I don't have to tolerate crowds of idiots, rude vendor reps, dangerous and poorly maintained  parking lots, and other common annoyances.

I'd rather support local businesses, but they don't seem to want to support me, and many of them are not "local" at all.

7 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

The local hardware stores, except for True Value, are over-crowded, under- staffed, contractor-oriented disasters.   They all  have problems with stocking things I need, untrained staff, and are not well kept.  and but I shop at the different ones when I need something in a hurry.  

Ace is less than a half mile, Lowes is three miles, True Value is 18 miles, Alliance is two blocks, Walmart is three blocks, (actually 150 yards but I have to walk or drive further) and Amazon is about three miles and is generally cheaper.  There are several specialty stores in the area if I need glass, specialty hardwood,  and some other items.  Only Amazon delivers to my door usually at no cost.

I can usually get an Amazon delivery in less than a week and have gotten one the same day.

Also, I can get clothing (if I don't have to actually try it on), food, kitchen supplies, books and DVDs, office supplies, and almost anything else I need or want from them, (their selection as unbeatable) even in some cases groceries....and I don't have to tolerate crowds of idiots, rude vendor reps, dangerous and poorly maintained  parking lots, and other common annoyances.

I'd rather support local businesses, but they don't seem to want to support me, and many of them are not "local" at all.

Exact how I feel. There’s one independent hardware store a couple miles from me and I try to support him but unfortunately his selection is limited due to the size of his store. He also repairs screens, lawnmowers and snow blowers so I go to him for that stuff. I always check with him but I have an Amazo n gift card from my son so I’m using it when I can.

I don't have an Amazon account but my gal does. She is a crafter and orders stuff from them on a regular basis. She has returned various items to Amazon on occasion and has never had a problem with returns. The returns were mostly for the items being 'not as described' or because they were cheap Chinese knockoffs but there has been the occasional defective item on rare occasion. I've had here order stuff for me also and have been satisfied with both product and promptness of delivery. One time I ordered at 2:00 pm and the item was here at 5:00 pm...amazing.

I don't feel that ordering from Amazon is putting anyone working Ace Hardware, Home Depot or Lowes out of work, as previously mentioned...Amazon employes Americans also. If anything, Home Depot and Lowes effectively put the Mom & Pop hardware stores out of business. I don't like it anymore than anyone else as the M & P hardware stores generally had better quality items and good, honest advice that aren't found in the large commercial stores. Walmart did the same thing to the five and dime type stores, I didn't like that either...but I still go to Walmart to save money on various items. Progress I guess.

I go to garage sales on occasion, either by plan or whim, and they are a great place for picking up oddball tools like long screwdrivers. I bought a 10 piece group of 30+ year old Craftsman screwdrivers at a garage sale for $5.00. They were as new/lightly used and one of them is a 16" flat blade that I use for stocks. I don't buy anything that the present-day Craftsman manufactured tools as they are all cheap junk, sad really as Craftsman tools used to be top of the line.

As far as contacting Amazon and talking with a live (English speaking) person, I don't think that there has been any problem there either. I'll get the number that she calls when she returns from the store in a little while.

I would love to get the number from you. I never had a problem with returns up until this last order. Them shipping it on their choice of carriers and the order evidently lost since according to Amazon it has been out for delivery with a driver since Feb seems like a no brainer to cancell the order and give me a refund. But for over 4 months it ain't happening.

Look forward to that phone number.

Thanks, OG

She just got back and the number is the same one that Pat supplied.

888 - 280 - 4331.

She just told me that she has had problems with returns if the item(s) was NOT stocked in an Amazon warehouse and was supplied/shipped from a secondary third-party manufacturer/supplier. She is a Prime member and I guess that helps?

She also said that checking the product/manufacturer reviews is helpful but I've read that some of the reviews are not factual reviews and are done by shills.

I spent two months asking, and searching locally for a 2 oz ball peen hammer for working on guns.  After two months, I gave up and got one from Amazon in three days.  

I almost always check locally first, but have no qualms about buying on line.  

Harbor Freight sent me a package with a 4" angle grinder and several ordered items in it many years ago (before their internet page, when they sold from catalogs).  I called them and told them I hadn't ordered a angle grinder.  They told me to just keep it, as return postage was more than their cost of the product.  That was the late 80s or early 90s, and I'm still using that angle grinder.

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

My Stoeger, purchased new in '06, also has a hex as well as the screwdriver slot. Handy when torquing the bolt to 5#.

We Hibernate in a small, rural, college town.  When the Major employer (Big Coal Company) closed up shop, local businesses closed up right along with them.  Durning the school year, our population is 36,000.  Summer break??  13,000.  The only major retailer is Wally World and since they went cheap overseas knock-off for everything, I won't set foot in the place.

Based on the above, AMAZON is the best retail experience we have.  As mentioned by "others" our selections arrive on the front porch.  Don't even have to drive.  And let us not forget the "Pandemic" when "in-person" shopping was such a pain in the butt.  We acquired a right nice Cardboard Box collection.   Everything we wanted, right to the front door.

I use Amazon a lot. Mostly because of the selection and the reviews. Also because we have Walmart and that store that has a bullseye logo that I will never set foot in again and that’s about it. 
I refuse to drive 50-75 miles to go to stores to get certain things. 
We also have Menards and Lowe’s. Surrounding towns have some pretty cool Ace Hardwares as well. 

I use Amazon a lot and I won’t apologize for it. 

4 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I spent two months asking, and searching locally for a 2 oz ball peen hammer for working on guns.  After two months, I gave up and got one from Amazon in three days.  

I almost always check locally first, but have no qualms about buying on line.  

Harbor Freight sent me a package with a 4" angle grinder and several ordered items in it many years ago (before their internet page, when they sold from catalogs).  I called them and told them I hadn't ordered a angle grinder.  They told me to just keep it, as return postage was more than their cost of the product.  That was the late 80s or early 90s, and I'm still using that angle grinder.

Harbor Freight can be a great place IF they have what you want and if you don't need a top of the line tool.

8 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I have had this happen a number of times. Mostly for lower cost items. Costs more to ship than it’s worth to them. I think it also depends on the size or dimensions. A 16” screwdriver is an odd shape to ship so more cost.

Just an FYI. Napa has Carlyle long shaft screwdrivers at a reasonable price. That’s what I use for my stock screws and it doubled as a hot dog cooker once. ;)

Do the tips hold up?  The Craftsman screwdriver tips are not as durable since going overseas. 

22 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Do the tips hold up?  The Craftsman screwdriver tips are not as durable since going overseas. 

Well, I only have the one Carlyle screwdriver and have only used it a few times.  It seems strong but I really haven’t used it enough to say it’s great. 

11 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Same here. It opened in May, and has a staff of about 220 currently, with plans to got o 500. Local fast food joints and gas service plazas are booming as a result. Can't say anything negative about their service to our doorstep over last 6 yrs either.

:rolleyes: After about two hours on the phone I received acknowledgement that my order was shipped and never delivered. While Amazon did not refund the purchase price they did issue a "store credit".  I will take it!
Thanks for the phone number and advice.

I use Amazon all the time.  As already mentioned above, I don't have to deal with people and I almost always find what I need.  I can't say that about Walmart or the big box home improvement stores.  I do use the local True Value up the road sometimes, they actually have stuff that Lowes & Home Depot don't have or have it smaller, less expensive quantities.

Amazon's customer service is above average by internet shopping standards and good to very good by retail standards.

I recently ordered some trousers, three pairs. They had a long ship time, likely coming from China.  First one showed up, no paperwork, nothing even identifying it as Amazon, the fabric label was all Chinese. Next day same thing for another pair. Waist too small, legs too long. I wanted to return them.  Different policy applied. I got an email suggesting that I mail it back, oh this is a hassle. Then I got a message from the vendor, would I accept a 50% refund on each and don’t need to return.  OK. I got 100% on one, ok same thing.

Third pair never came.   Mmmmmm. Then Amazon had it as delivered.  I know how much hassle is involved to say “I didn’t get it” so I just went for “doesn’t fit.”  I got the same 50% refund offer and accepted. I got 100% refund.  It works for me. By the way, those trousers are no longer listed on Amazon.

I'd rather shop locally, BUT...

Just two days ago, returning from a Cowboy shoot, I thought I'd stop at Lowes and pickup a 3 oz bottle of contact cement. Park, walk across parking lot to door, go in, look at the signs over the aisles... went to "glues"... no dice... found another sign, "construction adhesives"... gallon cans, but nothing smaller... asked somebody in a Lowes vest, and they pointed off toward the other side of the store toward appliances and cabinets... found somebody there who said it was probably in the glue aisle... forty minutes later, I was headed home - without the contact cement. When I got home, I found it on Amazon, and had it on the way in maybe ninety seconds.

1 hour ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I'd rather shop locally, BUT...

Just two days ago, returning from a Cowboy shoot, I thought I'd stop at Lowes and pickup a 3 oz bottle of contact cement. Park, walk across parking lot to door, go in, look at the signs over the aisles... went to "glues"... no dice... found another sign, "construction adhesives"... gallon cans, but nothing smaller... asked somebody in a Lowes vest, and they pointed off toward the other side of the store toward appliances and cabinets... found somebody there who said it was probably in the glue aisle... forty minutes later, I was headed home - without the contact cement. When I got home, I found it on Amazon, and had it on the way in maybe ninety seconds.

I've found the lowes aisle staff are useless.  Find it on lowes.com and it will tell you in stock, which aisle, which bay in the aisle.

Sorry, but every time I scroll past this subject on the main Saloon page I see “Amazon returns” and I think of something like this. 

They’re Back!

image.thumb.jpeg.f3091cbd0dd541f420b6bb57c7bdb816.jpeg

About 12 years ago I ordered 45 pounds of GOEX Fg and 5 pounds of GOEX FFg from Coony's Explosives and Black Powder.   I received 45 pounds of GOEX Fg and 5 pounds of FFFFg.  Called them, was told, "Oops!" They told me to keep the FFFFG and they would send me the 5 pounds of FFg, no charge.  Threw in one of their ball caps.  

I ordered a dozen RubberMaid 18 gallon tubs from an Amazon seller.
The vendor sent six, not 12 that I paid for.

I contacted Amazon customer service who contacted the vendor.
They are no longer selling RubberMaid tubs (they are now Unobtanium).
Amazon refunded my entire purchase price, and told me to keep the six tubs.

I received a shipment that should have gone a few buildings down the street. I am not able to go there and locate the customer. I called Amazon, figuring they could pick up the package and deliver it correctly. Nope that is not part of their routine. I was told, “keep it or donate it”.

Archived