SASS Wire Forum

Case pimple ??

Rye Miles #13621

Never saw this before. I didn’t see it snd jammed up my rifle. I pulled it and found nothing inside but powder and the bullet!

AC78AC0C-E0A4-4F28-A39A-AD07D8496D95.jpeg

165F5324-8364-4D65-864E-5F419ABEE3FB.jpeg

F08E1932-E008-4065-98EA-79F0B35898E0.jpeg

That looks like a dimple... and that the case didn't get sized far enough... maybe cocked in the shell holder?  A piece of media stuck to the side of the case as it got sized?  

6 minutes ago, Griff said:

That looks like a dimple... and that the case didn't get sized far enough... maybe cocked in the shell holder?  A piece of media stuck to the side of the case as it got sized?  

Saw this round today. It’s just like Rye described a pimple a raised bum on a brass case. Never seen this before 

9 minutes ago, Thunder Creek Kid said:

I was there. 
It really hurt his time!

Ya think???:lol:

31 minutes ago, Thunder Creek Kid said:

I was there. 
It really hurt his time!

Yeah -- Even I beat him! 

--Dawg :P

1 hour ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Yeah -- Even I beat him! 

--Dawg :P

....And you were CLEAN!!!!B)

1 hour ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

I've seen that before, that case was hit by a pellet from a shotgun.  I see that sometimes on brass that comes off the 3 gun range.

From the inside out? What are the odds of that?

This is a pimple, not a dimple.

Woodfox:

Wouldn't chamber.

Tied up the rifle--8 or 9 misses.

Rye had a tough ammo day.

--Dawg

5 hours ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

I've seen that before, that case was hit by a pellet from a shotgun.  I see that sometimes on brass that comes off the 3 gun range.

Not from inside the case!

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I have seen such caused by a sharp edge in the load gate area. 

It was bulged from the inside out, no way the loading gate did that!

It looks like a .32 cal.  If so, a steel wet tumbling pin might have jambed across the case and been forced during deprime, thus creating the external "pimple".  Just speculating.

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

It looks like a .32 cal.  If so, a steel wet tumbling pin might have jambed across the case and been forced during deprime, thus creating the external "pimple".  Just speculating.

F/L sizing would have removed it. 

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

.38 Spl Tumbled with corn cob.

i bought some used 45-70 brass and a couple of the were like that.  Somebody was drilling the action for a scope and drilled through the chamber.

Woodfox

On 6/4/2023 at 8:48 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

F/L sizing would have removed it. 

I full length size all my cases. It didn’t remove this !

My guess is that somebody had an OOB discharge and the case budged into the extractor groove. You wound up with the case mixed in with your brass at some point.

How bout if a piece of shot got in the powder? Firing may have pushed it in the side of the case. Although I would think the chamber would keep it from making the pimple. 

38 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

My guess is that somebody had an OOB discharge and the case budged into the extractor groove. You wound up with the case mixed in with your brass at some point.

Good guess! That's possible!

34 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

How bout if a piece of shot got in the powder? Firing may have pushed it in the side of the case. Although I would think the chamber would keep it from making the pimple. 

I thought that to maybe but when I pulled it there was nothing in there but powder and a bullet!:blink:

Proof that using a gauge on your reloads before shooting a match is worth the extra few minutes of time!

3 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Proof that using a gauge on your reloads before shooting a match is worth the extra few minutes of time!

Or simply looking at every case! I should have caught that !! Especially at the loading table!:wacko:

Shows how easy it is to miss one. Surprised the sizing die didn't fix it.

8 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Shows how easy it is to miss one. Surprised the sizing die didn't fix it.

I suspect that it was just low enough on the case that the sizing die didn't reach it.  Kinda like the case bulge that Glocks leave on fired rounds. Only way to remove it is by pushing the case through a special die. 

2 minutes ago, Thunder Creek Kid said:

Rye. If’n it gave you so much trouble, I wouldn’t load anymore like that. 

Now that sounds like a solution.

23 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

That bulge should have been smoothed out when resizing the case.

18 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I suspect that it was just low enough on the case that the sizing die didn't reach it.  Kinda like the case bulge that Glocks leave on fired rounds. Only way to remove it is by pushing the case through a special die. 

A properly adjusted F/L sizing die would have contacted that case bump.

BTW, I use std F/L size dies for my Glock ammo(9mm & .40 S&W)and have no feed issues. 

Archived