SASS Wire Forum

Anybody Drink Wheated Bourbon?

bgavin

I'm curious if anybody recommends a smooth, tasty wheated bourbon for an unsophisticated palette.

I don't care for Scotch, or Irish whiskeys with a high burn factor.
Just something tasty and smooth, don't need a high proof either.

Maker's Mark

Good stuff.

There are some exceptional wheated bourbons out there but with prices well into the 3 figure range they are outside my pocketbook.

In the affordable range,  Maker's Mark, Wyoming Whiskey Small Batch, Old Elk, and Larceny Small Batch all consistently rank high among wheated bourbons..

Another good one is Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond. This one is unique as each batch will have a slightly different but very consistent flavor profile. 

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

I'm looking at Larceny, 1792, Bernheim, Redemption, although those are a bit higher in price range than I have an interest it.
Tried nothing so far.

All of those consistently rank well among wheated bourbons

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Was it the Wheaties or the bourbon that was The breakfast of champions?

I don’t know, but at my fraternity, we had cold pizza and beer on more mornings than I should admit. We referred to it as “The Breakfast of People Who Never Remotely Considered Being Champions.”

well ive had Wheaties and beer as well as with bourbon , great at the time but thats a long time ago now , 

if makers ,mark and pendalton are what your referring to as examples of wheat whiskey in this thread then i stand corrected [i did not know that] ive had and enjoyed both , i tended to jack danials and jim beam most of the time tho , unless your going to tell me they are a;lso in that category - ive always assumed corn based 

People who don’t like scotch just haven’t tried enough different ones. I would venture to say there are more varieties and flavors of scotch than any other whisky. 

Bruce Jenner once advertised that he ate Wheaties. Not sure I'd want to eat the same food that he did once upon a time any more. Not sure what long term effects Wheaties actually have.

Maker's uses red wheat. I find that really gives excellent flavor.

11 hours ago, Buckshot Sheridan said:

People who don’t like scotch just haven’t tried enough different ones. I would venture to say there are more varieties and flavors of scotch than any other whisky. 

If a persons first taste of scotch is one of the heavily peated brands they are not probably going to like it. Especially if they are an inexperienced whiskey drinker. I agree that the various  scotch varieties vary more then the bourbon varieties.

And that would be me.
I do not care for peated brands at all.
Nor do I care for the hot burn.

Cheap Black Velvet goes down OK for me.
I use it for medicinal purposes only:  when I get sick, I read and drink until I sleep. 

Then rinse and repeat as necessary.

Archived