SASS Wire Forum

Subdeacon Joe

2 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Danr typise!

I knew what you meant to type!

Glad you changed the title...people would have been calling the wrong number. Probably would have gotten some guy named Ronald.

Pennsylvania 6 5000

edit: corrected from misleading internet info. :wacko:

27 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Pennsylvania 6-5000 (Pennsylvania 6 5 000)

yeah… looked it up on the internet and caught a blurb that had been, (apparently) transposed.

I COULD claim dyslexia, but the truth is less believable!! :lol:

I saw Tommy Tutone perform at the 321 Club in Santa Monica back in ‘84. Definitely a One Hit Wonder.

Their hit in ‘81 was the only thing they did that was any good. 

growing up mine was colfax 6 0397 , ive no idea why after all these years i remember that , ive had numerous numbers since that i dont remember ....somtimes i dont remember my current number 

I was born in January 1961. I do not recall ever hearing anyone use a name with the last 5 digits to relay a phone number but I do recall signs and ads depicting this. 

I think the only phone numbers I recall in music was the “Jenny” song, at least in popular music and rock and roll. Hee-Haw was the exception with BR-549 - not a real phone number sequence, but memorable. 

I had a friend that memorized phone numbers by using the letters for each number to create words. I recall he told me my number at the time was KENNOBI. The “O” was zero. Then LA and Orange Counties started changing area codes around and kind of mucked up my friend’s system. 

That song is actually one of my "guilty pleasures." It's on a couple of playlists I have. Although I have to admit, when you listen to the lyrics, I'm not sure which is more disturbing, that or My Sharona,  by The Knack.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I had a friend that memorized phone numbers by using the letters for each number to create words. I recall he told me my number at the time was KENNOBI.

There are people and businesses that do their intentionally to make their phone numbers easier to remember. We had a local (might still have for that matter) insurance company. Hutt Insurance. 763-4888. Their radio commercials always ended with DIAL 763 H U T T.

When I was in high school, while we had seven digit phone numbers, you didn't need to dial the first two. The number for getting the time and weather, for example, was 763-1701, but all you need to do is dial 3-1701.

I had this phone number running through my head. Could not come for the life of me, figure out who it was. So I called it. 3-2401. Some business answered. I had never heard of them. I asked, to make sure that I had dialed correctly, and then apologized. Told them I must have been given the number wrong.

A week or two later I was addressing an envelope, and as I'm writing down my return address I realized that 32401 was our ZIP code. :rolleyes:

47 minutes ago, Alpo said:

There are people and businesses that do their intentionally to make their phone numbers easier to remember. We had a local (might still have for that matter) insurance company. Hutt Insurance. 763-4888. Their radio commercials always ended with DIAL 763 H U T T.

When I was in high school, while we had seven digit phone numbers, you didn't need to dial the first two. The number for getting the time and weather, for example, was 763-1701, but all you need to do is dial 3-1701.

I had this phone number running through my head. Could not come for the life of me, figure out who it was. So I called it. 3-2401. Some business answered. I had never heard of them. I asked, to make sure that I had dialed correctly, and then apologized. Told them I must have been given the number wrong.

A week or two later I was addressing an envelope, and as I'm writing down my return address I realized that 32401 was our ZIP code. :rolleyes:

For a while, a company called Ben Franklin Plumbing actually bought the rights to the 867-5309 number. they even had ads on tv with the Jenny "jingle". Don't know if the company is still in business or has the "Jenny" number.

When we moved back to Nashville, just before I started the 7th grade, the phone number for the area started with TUcker and either a 3 or a 9.  My phone number all the way through high school was TU9-9450 or 889-9450.  Back then, you could just dial 99450 until about 1969.

When Schoolmarm and I bought the current homestead, in 1980 you could still dial just the last five numbers to make a local call.  That lasted until around 1985!

I do remember that when we lived in New Jersey in the early sixties that the prefix was BRidge with either a 2 or a 6.

DAMN!!  Some of us are OLD!!

(not me though)

12 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I was born in January 1961. I do not recall ever hearing anyone use a name with the last 5 digits to relay a phone number but I do recall signs and ads depicting this. 

I think the only phone numbers I recall in music was the “Jenny” song, at least in popular music and rock and roll. Hee-Haw was the exception with BR-549 - not a real phone number sequence, but memorable. 

I had a friend that memorized phone numbers by using the letters for each number to create words. I recall he told me my number at the time was KENNOBI. The “O” was zero. Then LA and Orange Counties started changing area codes around and kind of mucked up my friend’s system. 

I was born in '59. I remember Abilene had two exchanges , OR (67) for orchard, OW (69) for Owen. No one used the names but used the letters. Used to be listed in the phone book as OR or OW. Now days no body uses land lines and they use the same cell # from Heaven knows where and what area code that they had 5 years ago!

JHC

23 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I saw Tommy Tutone perform at the 321 Club in Santa Monica back in ‘84. Definitely a One Hit Wonder.

Their hit in ‘81 was the only thing they did that was any good. 

Cali was Fun Back then I was at MCAS ElToro after coming back from the Root , Lets just say that was a time being there North was a fall guy and well we Had KNAC  105.5

12 hours ago, DocWard said:

That song is actually one of my "guilty pleasures." It's on a couple of playlists I have. Although I have to admit, when you listen to the lyrics, I'm not sure which is more disturbing, that or My Sharona,  by The Knack.

Shall I really screw you up and add a little Billy Squier You are welcome

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

Don't / won't own a cell. Scroom!

I was that way for a long time. Even longer until I moved up to a smart phone a couple years ago. I'm not a cell phone addict, but it's gotten to where it's almost necessary to function in the modern world. BTW, is that a computer you're pecking on? ;)

JHC

As to phone numbers - In my youth, our home phone number was "8"! No prefixes or anything like that. It was a small town with an operator on a switchboard (that I sometimes visited as one of them was a family friend) and party lines. Also, the phones were not dial phones.:rolleyes:

Regarding cell phones - I resisted having one until five years ago when we moved to AZ and the local phone service sucked and was expensive. But, in true form, I still do not know how to use it very well.:wacko:

1 hour ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Cali was Fun Back then I was at MCAS ElToro after coming back from the Root , Lets just say that was a time being there North was a fall guy and well we Had KNAC  105.5

I miss KNAC. 

For some reason I remember our phone number,  MUlberry 4509, and the tag on Dad’s 49 Pontiac’. I was 7. 
Can’t remember what I had for lunch or my PayPal password. :D

16 hours ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Your PayPal password was Bob spelled backwards and 7 :) 

Could be. Give it a try. :lol:

... call one four oh, ring two and ask for Bob. :D

I have an old Helena phone book in the basement, 1912 or so, and probably all of thirty pages, including the cover and advertisements, that has numbers from single digits to the same seven digit format we use today.

A68C076D-41B8-42E3-9327-6628EDB96434.jpeg

10 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

@Yul Lose I HATE you! I just snorked hot coffee out my nose at that.

Glad to be of service.:P

Archived