SASS Wire Forum

Rodent Abuse

Dusty Devil Dale

My 2-year-old Toyota vehicle goes into the selling Dealership Service Department, because the battery is not holding a charge,  This is the second new battery and it tested OK-- I tell the Service Manager that I  suspect a short circuit. 

Dealership Service Manager  phones me 5 hours later--tells me the reason my battery is dying is due to shorts caused by  "rodent damage" within the main wiring harnesses.  The harness needs replacement ($3,100).  It is not a warranty covered repair.  

I tell him to hold up on any repairs pending me arranging money between accounts.   I have my wife drive me to the dealership -- show up there 20 minutes later and ask to see the damaged harness.   The Manager looks like a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar.  He goes into his office and makes a call, then comes out and introduces me to a mechanic, who takes me into the shop area to see the damaged harness --then removed from the car. 

(This has now become a chess game). 

I ask to see where it came out of the car, curious if there is other rodent evidence visible.  Now the mechanic has the cookie jar look.  The mechanic takes me to the car with hood open and points way down in into the bottom of the engine compartment, to where the harness allegedly came from.   I can see the main harness still in place,  circuiting around the engine.   No wiring or other parts were visibly removed.  Wiring hold-downs  were in place and had dust on them.  No rodent leavings were visible, nor were there trails or tracks in the thin layer of dust from my driveway.  Dust over the engine and manifolds was undisturbed, inconsistent with recent removal of such an extensive harness.

I asked for the key, put it into the ignition and started the engine.  I stepped out, dropped the hood, stepped back in and drove out of the shop, never to return.  I called the State Bureau of Autimotive Repair that afternoon to file a fraud report.

The car runs fine without a main wiring harness, but the battery still gets drained if I leave it undriven for more than a week.  I hate to sell a car in that condition to some unknowing person. Toyota/Penske should have properly and honestly addressed their warranty problem. 

I started thinking about friends who have encountered very expensive rodent damage situations. in the past.  I wonder how many of them were real.  

I guess the good old days are gone.  

Despite the apparent scam you experienced, I will tell you that out in the country, rodent damage is not uncommon. This from personal experience and that of  folks I know.  I keep poison blocks in all the vehicles where the dogs can't get at them, inspect frequently, and if there is evidence, droppings, even set traps.  My kids were visiting for a week, and toward the end, we found a mouse nest in their car. Just Wildlife!

Glad to see that you tested them. I also always make the service take me to the mechanic. It’s a shame that we have so many crooks hiding behind a legitimate business. As if they don’t already make good money at dealerships

4 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Despite the apparent scam you experienced, I will tell you that out in the country, rodent damage is not uncommon. This from personal experience and that of  folks I know.  I keep poison blocks in all the vehicles where the dogs can't get at them, inspect frequently, and if there is evidence, droppings, even set traps.  My kids were visiting for a week, and toward the end, we found a mouse nest in their car. Just Wildlife!

I've had rodent damage in the past also, at my mountain property, and you're right, we do have to protect vehicles including tractors.  Especially cars like Subarus which utilize soy derivative wiring insulation.  Rodents LOVE it. 

But this didn't sound right, so I went in with my eyes open. 

A few years ago, the farmer across the street left his tractor in his feedlot overnight. The steers chewed up every wire they could get to. He wasn’t amused! 

Boats use to have a similar problem.Swimmen rats would go after the Bellows on the outdrives chew holes in them & the boat would sink.

They  came up with something to add to the rubber to keep them from eating the rubber.

Largo

6 minutes ago, Laramie said:

A few years ago, the farmer across the street left his tractor in his feedlot overnight. The steers chewed up every wire they could get to. He wasn’t amused! 

I've had steers eat tractor seat cushions and bite chunks off out of tractor water hoses.  I guess chewing cud all day builds jaw muscles. But why?????

Getting back to the battery discharging.  If you have things like phone chargers and leave them plugged in, some of them have been known to draw down the battery.  I had a phone charger in Ol’ Green, my old dually, that malfunctioned. It would charge the phones just fine, but if the truck sat for a week or more,  the battery would draw down enough to either not start or to just barely get the truck started.  I ran a draw test on the system and discovered that that the charger was drawing three or four amps. I unplugged it and the problem went away!!

When I store anything with a wiring harness in it for any length of time, I put moth balls in the engine compartment and any other areas where I think rodents can get to. It works.

2 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Getting back to the battery discharging.  If you have things like phone chargers and leave them plugged in, some of them have been known to draw down the battery.  I had a phone charger in Ol’ Green, my old dually, that malfunctioned. It would charge the phones just fine, but if the truck sat for a week or more,  the battery would draw down enough to either not start or to just barely get the truck started.  I ran a draw test on the system and discovered that that the charger was drawing three or four amps. I unplugged it and the problem went away!!

I'm going to have to do that kind of searching.  I  run several skid steer machines.  I've found short circuits in them using a remote thermometer, scanning wire circuits on a cold morning.  Sometimes it just shows a degree or less of added warmth, but when it works, it's a handy way to scan and can save a lot of testing effort and time.  

10 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

A two year old Toyota? Call Toyota and report these conniving suckers and get them to fix your car. 

Exactly right, but not the same dealership.  From now on, there'll be a Go Pro cam concealed in a interior hood recess.

Some years ago, I had an alternator go out in my pickup.  I bought a brand new one and installed it.  About 2 months later I took the truck to the dealership for something unrelated, which they repaired, no problem.  About a year later, I happened to notice that the alternator in the truck had a rebuilt date and decal.  It was not the same alternator I had bought and installed.  After that I became very cautious.  I always request all replaced parts at the time I deliver a car for service. 

Sad that it's become like this. 

I started my automotive repair career in dealerships in the late ‘60s while still in high school.  I took every opportunity offered to get factory training. Dealerships are institutions of higher learning for talented young “mechanics”. 

Unfortunately, they are also magnets for unscrupulous operators, both in the actual hands on repair technicians and in like minded service writers and managers.  This too was a lesson that I learned early on.

The absolute BEST repair facilities are independently owned. Not all of these are top quality, reputable establishments either.  If you don’t repair your own vehicles, you need to find a good, straight dealing independent garage to do your work.  They’re not hard to find if you ask around and do some research.

I was fortunate to work for two great shops for a good portion of my career and to run one for another owner for several years as well!  Your vehicle was fixed right the first time or it was fixed for free. In several cases we fixed a problem again, even if it was not the fault of the the company or even long after the warranty had expired.  

Made for a real steady income and a long, long client list.  

28 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I started my automotive repair career in dealerships in the late ‘60s while still in high school.  I took every opportunity offered to get factory training. Dealerships are institutions of higher learning for talented young “mechanics”. 

Unfortunately, they are also magnets for unscrupulous operators, both in the actual hands on repair technicians and in like minded service writers and managers.  This too was a lesson that I learned early on.

The absolute BEST repair facilities are independently owned. Not all of these are top quality, reputable establishments either.  If you don’t repair your own vehicles, you need to find a good, straight dealing independent garage to do your work.  They’re not hard to find if you ask around and do some research.

I was fortunate to work for two great shops for a good portion of my career and to run one for another owner for several years as well!  Your vehicle was fixed right the first time or it was fixed for free. In several cases we fixed a problem again, even if it was not the fault of the the company or even long after the warranty had expired.  

Made for a real steady income and a long, long client list.  

Thank you for the advice--and for providing honest, solid customer service.  It's becomming increasingly rare.   You, are to be commended and respected.   

How much electronics are in your truck?  Sometimes it can be something with the radio/infotainment unit, with some VW's, this is problem and drained batteries are a result. 

If you're a DIY'er, are there Toyota forms you can take a look out to see if anybody else had this same issue and found a solution.

Since I'm a Dubber, I have scan tools and Ross-Tech forums is my first stop when issues arrive, might be something like that for Toyota.

About 24 years ago I had our attached 2 car garage filled up with my woodworking shop, my truck and my wife’s car stayed outside. One morning my wife goes out to start her car and when she turns the heater on there is a really weird noise. She came in and got me and I kind of blew it off to her hearing things. Well over the next few days she started complaining about an odor in her car similar to death smell. My hearing isn’t much good and my smeller isn’t a whole lot better and I told her that I didn’t smell anything. But after about a week even I could smell it. So I took it down to the Honda dealer and left it and later that day they called to tell me that a heavily abused mouse carcasse was found in the fan housing. Well they cleaned it up as much as they could but she could still smell dead mouse. I made her a deal, she could go trade the car in on a new one and I could build my dream stand alone workshop. She jumped at it. She got a new good smelling new car and I built my workshop and we were soon both parking in the 2 car garage and haven’t had a rodent problem since. The end.

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Exactly right, but not the same dealership.  From now on, there'll be a Go Pro cam concealed in a interior hood recess.

Oh, I didn’t mean have Toyota fix it at the same dealership. Just t report them to Toyota then have Toyota fix it at another dealership. I would think they would do it because of your experience at one of their dealerships. Then again, corporations sometimes don’t follow logic. 

A bunch of years ago, I had a Ford Aerostar, which was a very useful, reliable minivan, IMO.  We had loaded a couple llamas in the back and went hiking in the Sierras for a day, in Sequoia National Park.   I parked alongside a big deep grassy meadow and we hiked for about 5 hours, after which I drove home unevenfully.   

The next morning, I had procrastinated on getting the car smog tested for CA annual registration, so I drove it to a smog station near where I worked.  I was waiting in their waiting room, when a technician approached me.  I thought " Oh-Oh".  

He asked me to come out and look at something.  He laughed as he opened the hood, "Your won't believe this" 

The inside of the engine compartment was packed solid with grass.  By "solid" I mean there was hardly a cubic inch of space anywhere in the compartment.  It was pressed tightly against the engine and manifolds,, and under every hose and wire.  The day before, meadow mice or pack rats had apparently built a huge nest inside the hood. 

I drove it over to where I work and spent almost two hours with a heavy hooked wire, pulling cut grass out of the nooks and crannies.  When I finished, I had a stack of grass +- 4' across and 2-1/2' high.  I was very lucky not to have had an engine fire on the 60 mile drive home the day before, with a rear compartment full of llamas.  How they moved that much grass in 5 hours remains a mystery.  There must have been 100 of them. 

I learned a cheap lesson.  Now  whenever I park anywhere near a meadow for longer than a few minutes. I open the engine for a quick look before driving away.  

It is interesting to me that cattle will gather near pumps, buildings, machinery, etc.  I can understand the machines, as they are associated with feeding.  They are large and strong and often do damage.  Anything of value is fenced off.  Even guywires on power poles are spiked.  These are big - next to a bull I was sitting in a full sized pickup, and was nearly eye to eye.

16 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

It is interesting to me that cattle will gather near pumps, buildings, machinery, etc.  I can understand the machines, as they are associated with feeding.  They are large and strong and often do damage.  Anything of value is fenced off.  Even guywires on power poles are spiked.  These are big - next to a bull I was sitting in a full sized pickup, and was nearly eye to eye.

Sometimes I think boredom plays a big part.  The equipment is the only different or  interesting thing in their field.  To them, a tractor or pump is a toy.  

Reminds me of a trip to the local Ford dealer for some repairs. I did not have the time or place to change out the water pump on my Explorer.  I got a call from them about having to replace a plastic part along with the thermostat and gaskets hose etc ONLY another 300 dollars.  Well heck go ahead.  I went and picked the car up late just before they closed and by the time I got it a half mile down the road, the exhaust noise was pretty loud. I drove it the next day and by the trip home sounded like no muffler at all. 

I took it back with my complaint about it and got a call telling me my Whole exhaust system needed to be replaced both cat converts were bad etc.  Well... they only wanted 5 grand which was more than car was worth, they suggested I look into buying a new vehicle. NO WAY.  I took to the Midas place down the street to get their estimate.. Sat in waiting room about 10 minutes and they called me back to look at the exhaust.  The mechanic, pointed out the joint between header and pipe , he lifted the pipe with a pry bar, whacked with a deadblow hammer and poof no exhaust leak.  He showed me where "someone" had pried the pipe back on the inside where you could not see the pipe mark to create the leak. He told me that was done just enough to get the leak moving and as I drove the vibration and torque of engine just opened the system up. 

I went back to Ford, raised hell but got a cold shoulder.  Ever since every chance I get I tell the story about the crooks down there. (oh yeah Midas charge?  $0.00)

50 minutes ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

oh yeah Midas charge?  $0.00)

I've always had great experiences with Midas.  They've done a lot of tractor exhaust routing and trailer hitches for me in the past--even fabricated non vehicle things from muffler tubing,  like a portable sawmill support frame.  Charges are always reasonable and staff very helpful.  

You couldn't pay me to go a Midas in my area or even in Florida for that matter. A bunch of rip off artists. Aamco is even worse.

I have a independent mechanic that is honest and reliable for my needs. 

Heck I thought this was a post about some miss guided Folk thinking that shooting them critters is Abuse,,,,, Not So da Swift takes da Whole head off of them, no abuse just converting them ta fertiliser .... All Natural at that ...

Jabez Cowboy

20 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Aftermarket alarms and remote start systems are famous also 

Archived