SASS Wire Forum

Which shotgun is made stronger / more durable...

Wade Butcher

...the Chiappa 1887 Lever Rifle (built on the larger 10g receiver, I'm told) or the CZ Hammer SxS shotguns (either in coach or long barrel)? I'm looking for a solid shotgun that will last a long time. (Not just in SASS, but with the possibility of hunting too.) In my experience, simplicity usually = durability, so I'm leaning toward thinking that the SxS CZ is the most durable of the two models. However, I'd sure appreciate your thoughts on the matter, as I'm a shotgun newbie.

Thanks in advance, pards.

W.B.

I bought a new CZ Sharptail SXS. It is a Beautiful looking gun. When it arrived I was completely unable to even open it without banging it over my knee. When I took it apart to start tuning it up I was shocked to find that everything in this gun is made out of Pot Metal. Even the opening lever is made out of pot metal, and you can not get a replacement if you need one. I tried, they don't stock them and don't plan to stock them! I was told that if one of the guns came back and was slated to become a parts gun that they would send it to me... but I doubt I will ever see one. I removed mine to bend it like I've done MANY times to steel shotguns. As soon as I applied a little heat, it just fell apart! It looked like a sand casting made out of something with a lot of zinc in it. JUNK! I managed to rebuild it, and it looks and work OK, but it's still Junk IMO.  I have spent more time getting this gun usable than any other gun that I have ever worked on. After many hours of work and fabricating some parts out of real steel to replace some of the cheap pot metal parts, it is now very usable.  IMO they are greatly over priced for what they are...... a pot metal gun. It cost me over $1,000. No doubt.... there are MANY folks that love theirs. That's nice, I'm happy for them, but they are not even close to the quality of any real, Steel, shotgun such as a Browning or SKB.  JMO

Snakebite

Oh, wow! That's good to know. I always thought that CZ was known for high quality firearms (although, I've never owned a CZ product, so my experience with them is limited to reading forum posts and watching new product reviews on Youtube.) I suppose that I'll stick with my Chiappa 1887 for now.

Thanks for the info, Snakebite.

W.B.

The older Japanese made SKB, Browing BSS and Charles Daly 500s are all very durable SxS, if you leave the barrels uncut I do not see why they could not easily pull double duty as both a field and SASS gun.  Unless of course you need them proofed for steel shot, don't know one way or the other if they can safely shoot steel or not, so if steel shot is a must that might be something you want to research further.

That being said, you can probably buy a Stoger coach gun set up for SASS and just about any big name brand pump shotgun for field use and still spend less than what an older used SKB or Browning will cost. 

Browning hands down. I use mine for Sass and switch barrels for shooting clays.

Ah Well . . .

None of the above.  Pedersoli Hammer Double.   Or, Pietta Hammer Double.   You could also have removable chokes installed for field use.  They are NOT cheap.  They will however, out last you.

I like my CZ Hammered.  But last year I had the rear lug come loose and push forward slightly.  So now I have to send it off somewhere for repairs.   

But it has served me well for many years, with little issue till recently.... And we kinda use them harder then intended.

M.A.T.

20 hours ago, Snakebite said:

I bought a new CZ Sharptail SXS. It is a Beautiful looking gun. When it arrived I was completely unable to even open it without banging it over my knee. When I took it apart to start tuning it up I was shocked to find that everything in this gun is made out of Pot Metal. Even the opening lever is made out of pot metal, and you can not get a replacement if you need one. I tried, they don't stock them and don't plan to stock them! I was told that if one of the guns came back and was slated to become a parts gun that they would send it to me... but I doubt I will ever see one. I removed mine to bend it like I've done MANY times to steel shotguns. As soon as I applied a little heat, it just fell apart! It looked like a sand casting made out of something with a lot of zinc in it. JUNK! I managed to rebuild it, and it looks and work OK, but it's still Junk IMO.  I have spent more time getting this gun usable than any other gun that I have ever worked on. After many hours of work and fabricating some parts out of real steel to replace some of the cheap pot metal parts, it is now very usable.  IMO they are greatly over priced for what they are...... a pot metal gun. It cost me over $1,000. No doubt.... there are MANY folks that love theirs. That's nice, I'm happy for them, but they are not even close to the quality of any real, Steel, shotgun such as a Browning or SKB.  JMO

Snakebite

Gunsmith had one apart when I was over at his place. Showed me that and the inside of the Charles Daly.

The CD was MUCH better inside than the CZ's .   

I've only held one (Snakebite's) Sharptail.  His assessment is right on, IMO.  I do have some older (ca 6 yrs) CZ semi-auto 9mm pistols that are NATO issue and exceptional (but heavy--all steel) guns.   both are tack drivers at 20 yds.  I recently shot a new CZ-USA 9mm pistol with the new aluminum frame.  It felt wonderful and shot with excellent precision, but lacked the fit and finish quality of my older examples.   Hopefully CZ won't let their good reputation fall away.  

Snakebite as you said everyone has their own opinion. That said why does Jim aka Long Hunter speak so highly of them?

And I am a little shocked that a Terr.  Gov.

would take such a lo road as you did to flat out bash them!? I know about 15 pards that have over 1K thru theirs with no issue. Seems they actually practice

Snakebite is not the only nay-sayer. 2 gunsmiths whose opinion I trust have said that the internals on Turkish guns (like the CZ imported Huglu) leave something to be desired. The handgun community has had issues with Turkish metallurgy, particularly it’s inconsistent heat treatment of crucial parts.

The problem is there aren’t a whole lot of reasonably priced options. I am glad that Longhunter is making them work, and glad that a lot of pards are getting good service from their CZ’s. I’m also glad that I have a couple of old TTN hammer guns for Classic Cowboy.

Well Dutch, like I said a lot of folks like them, and also like I said I got mine working well after I replaced and tuned so.e parts. I didnt trash Jim's opinion, I gave my opinion and reported what I found. A member ask for opinions, I gave him mine. If that upsets you, I'm sorry, but thats how it is.

On 1/25/2022 at 8:33 AM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Ah Well . . .

None of the above.  Pedersoli Hammer Double.   Or, Pietta Hammer Double.   You could also have removable chokes installed for field use.  They are NOT cheap.  They will however, out last you.

At this point a Stoeger will outlast most of us.

I like my L.C.Smiths for normal use and my Husqvarna hammer guns for Classic Cowboy. The 2 Stoegers my kids use have worked fine for the last 5 years also. But we aren't that hard on them, and only shoot twice a month. Run anything real hard and it will fail sooner, can't do much about that.

2 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Well Dutch, like I said a lot of folks like them, and also like I said I got mine working well after I replaced and tuned so.e parts. I didnt trash Jim's opinion, I gave my opinion and reported what I found. A member ask for opinions, I gave him mine. If that upsets you, I'm sorry, but thats how it is.

It didn't upset me! like I said you were trying to give people a heads up on what to expect when buying one. V.D.

On 1/27/2022 at 8:32 AM, Von Dutch, SASS # 7995 said:

It didn't upset me! like I said you were trying to give people a heads up on what to expect when buying one. V.D.

I think he was talking to the other Dutch, Dutch.

Oh,, and 97s for the win....

image.png.97ba3b51c7a0344fb2e39833513f6803.png

3 hours ago, Hendo said:

I think he was talking to the other Dutch, Dutch.

Oh,, and 97s for the win....

image.png.97ba3b51c7a0344fb2e39833513f6803.png

Well, I took another look at the post, and you are correct thanks for pointing that out. The older I get the more stuff goes over my head! that's why I don't like being Posse Marsal anymore! 

Howdy,

Don't like getting in to these Ford/Chevy debates but can't let this one completely go since our business was brought up. A lot of smiths have tried and failed with the CZ's and trash them because they can't figured them out, myself included. Who did figure them out was our gunsmith Jared. This involves some cutting, tig welding and reconfiguring on a few inside parts. After his modified design, they run like a Singer sewing machine. Wish CZ would ask Jared and me to design them a cowboy shotgun but we are a very small niche market.

Won't make another reply on this thread.

Long Hunter

PS: Snakebite is an old friend of mine.

3 hours ago, Von Dutch, SASS # 7995 said:

Well, I took another look at the post, and you are correct thanks for pointing that out. The older I get the more stuff goes over my head! that's why I don't like being Posse Marsal anymore! 

VD, the next time you Marshall a posse, I'll do my best to be on it. We can be lost together, it'll be epic.

56 minutes ago, Long Hunter SASS #20389L said:

Howdy,Don't like getting in to these Ford/Chevy debates

I'm a Mopar kinda guy myself. 

Your service and support is top shelf and even though I'm not a big money customer, you've never failed to offer help or assistance to me. That's huge in my book.

My AyA 10 3-1/2 Magnum has taken innumerable ducks and geese, other birds, started hundreds of sailboat races and blasted targets In hundreds of SASS matches using "dynamite" loads of holy black with nary an issue. I have another but have never needed a backup gun

Quality firearms will never let you down.  Crap will eventually cost you matches and birds.

Archived