SASS Wire Forum

Would this be child abuse?

Alpo

This woman has not eaten meat since the fourth grade.

Is this her idea, or did she have evil abusive parents that prevented her from eating juicy and delicious animals, and instead forced her to eat vegetables?

For whatever reason she went away, welcome back to the carnivore side of life.

My sister stopped eating meat as soon as she was out of the house. She decided meat was bad after a pig was raised and butchered.

She did not buy or cook meat for her son.

He was in 7th grade, when a teacher sent him to get food stamps for himself...to buy his own meat.

I think our 'society' mentality in total is abused/abusive...

No easy answer to the question.

If she really hadn't eaten meat for that many years she set herself up for a few hours of gastric distress.   Especially something as rich as marrow bones.

Both my wife and I found out that going heavy on meat after keeping the Lenten fast led to issues.   Others have told us the same. 

A good friend of mine was a well known and internationally respected biologist who worked for the park service in Florida. He spent significant time in the Amazon and the cloud forests of Costa Rica. He was a hell of a Bluegrass guitar and banjo player and bow hunter. 
He told me that humans are obviously omnivores. They need meat. Their teeth, jaw muscles and digestive system were not designed for herbivores.

My doctor once told me that one of his sons had decided to become vegan.  Doc said that he could live a healthy life as such, but that after a lengthy period of time a person would lose their ability to properly digest meat and would never fully regain it if they decided to return to a diet including meat.  :mellow:  

8 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

A good friend of mine was a well known and internationally respected biologist who worked for the park service in Florida. He spent significant time in the Amazon and the cloud forests of Costa Rica. He was a hell of a Bluegrass guitar and banjo player and bow hunter. 
He told me that humans are obviously omnivores. They need meat. Their teeth, jaw muscles and digestive system were not designed for herbivores.

Yep, I've heard that same thing from a couple of field biologists and a veterinarian. Add to it we have binocular vision, a trait common to predators and omnivores as opposed to prey animals. 

It gets ridiculous.   Former neighbor lady was in my opinion neurotic.  She and small kids were always sick of some allergy or something.   Always something.  The kids looked plenty clean and healthy.  You could tell from her husband that it was wearing on him. 

Anyway,  she had developed a specific diet for her family and kids (not necessarily vegetarian - I suspect aginst processed food with additives).  The oldest starred going to kindergarten.   The mother was sending her lunch and snacks, etc.  It wasn't long until before the school got involved and insisted the girl eat school lunch.  The mother protested on grounds that there was nothing on the school lunch menu safe for her daughter to eat. The battle escheduled to requiring the girl being examined by a doctor appointed by the school.   

I only heard her side of the story but I didn't seen anything alarming about the health or welfare of the kids.  I don't know how it was resolved as the family moved back close to her family.

11 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

If she really hadn't eaten meat for that many years she set herself up for a few hours of gastric distress.   Especially something as rich as marrow bones.

Both my wife and I found out that going heavy on meat after keeping the Lenten fast led to issues.   Others have told us the same. 

Totally agree. She would be up-chucking. System would not be able to handle what she ate. Self poisoning if anything. Had to be fake.

I stopped talking to my cousin and his wife because they wouldn't stop preaching to me about going vegan! They would constantly send me articles about veganism blah bla.  finally told them "How about you eat what you want and leave me the %^$# alone okay?? I haven't talked to them in a year or more! Good riddance! I'll eat what I want!!

If God didn't want us to eat meat he wouldn't have made it taste so good!! :lol:

Someone was looking in my refrigerator one time and said "I thought you don't eat anything green.  What's this green stuff?"  I told him it was either new cheese or old meat.

16 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Don't confuse the idiotic generation with Facts, Bob.  Their brains will explode and then it will become a cause to attack us omnivores.

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Don't do that.  If it's green you can feed it to your food.

The only animal in my back yard is a Pomeranian and he doesn't eat green stuff either.  Besides, he wouldn't even make a good sandwich.

Carnivore.   I  guess no bread.  No potatoes.   No Cole slaw.  No green beans with bacon and onions.   No onions.   No tomatoes on a burger....No hamburgers, either since they use a bun.  No BBQ  or baked beans.  No tacos.   No biscuits and gravy. 

4 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Carnivore.   I  guess no bread.  No potatoes.   No Cole slaw.  No green beans with bacon and onions.   No onions.   No tomatoes on a burger....No hamburgers, either since they use a bun.  No BBQ  or baked beans.  No tacos.   No biscuits and gravy. 

Now you are getting into the basic food groups.  The yellows, the browns, the greens and the red.  Even a lion has an occassional brown.

3 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Now you are getting into the basic food groups.  The yellows, the browns, the greens and the red.  Even a lion has an occassional brown.

Cole slaw is a food group.   Green beans with onion and bacon are a food group. 

<shudders at the thought of fish and chips or BBQ without cole slaw>

There is nothing more gross on the face of the earth than to order a BBQ sandwich and it is topped with cole slaw.  Seems to be a regional thing.  I always ask because if I bite into cole slaw I'll spit it on the ground.  Why would anyone put ground garbage on a sandwich?

12 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

There is nothing more gross on the face of the earth than to order a BBQ sandwich and it is topped with cole slaw.  Seems to be a regional thing.  I always ask because if I bite into cole slaw I'll spit it on the ground.  Why would anyone put ground garbage on a sandwich?

I agree about putting it on a  sandwich,  but a big side of cole slaw is perfect along with BBQ.  Of course, I don't eat BBQ sandwiches.   Takes away from the flavor of the meat.

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Besides, he wouldn't even make a good sandwich.

Have you ever considered teaching him? He might not know that a good ham and cheese sandwich layers the ham and the cheese instead of putting all the ham down and then putting all the cheese on top of it. He might not know that pumpernickel and chicken salad were made for each other, but sourdough and lieberwurst are an abomination.

With some patience and understanding, you may be able to teach him to make a good sandwich.

4 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

What you are really saying is that your are an omnivore with certain preferences in the vegetation you consume.  Not strictly a carnivore.

You had just happened to have hit one of my pet peeves in the "carnivore"/vegetarian/vegan discussion.  Other than possibly some of the First People in far northern Canada I doubt that there are any true human carnivores.  Most of us are omnivores and eat a reasonably balanced diet of both animal and plant matter.  Both my wife and I will sometimes yell at the television, "It's OMNIVORE!!! Dammit!"  when someone mentions a "carnivore" v. vegetarian/vegan diet.  

The only people I look down on for their dietary choices (other than the people who will cook a steak to shoe leather) are the preachy ones, usually vegans, who within 30 seconds let everyone around them know, in o, so superior tones, that they a vegan and consider meat murder.  There are meat eaters who can get equally preachy about the omnivore diet, but they are few and far between.

23 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Bob, you ought to know better by now than confusing folks with facts- especially scientific facts.

Take a look at the difference in tooth enamel thickness and density between humans and herbivores, too.  That, combined with the inefficient manner we digest vegetable matter, has been more than enough to shut preachy vegans spewing junk science down for me in the past.  We don't digest vegetable matter long enough to break it down well enough to get more than a tithe of the nutrients available.

I don't know about ya'll, but the idea of eating 10 salads for lunch doesn't strike me as a fun time.

Archived