Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Recommended Posts

 In 2 weeks I have a hunt planned with my 16 year old son and 24 year old daughter. My son has a 308 which proved its capability on a black buck doe from 120 yards out. My daughter has a 243 that has 3 pigs by her brother her and her brother each got their first doe with it and last year she got a doe, a spike and a buck with it. I have my 257 Roberts but it hasn't proved itself yet. Should i stick with the Bob or take one of my kids guns and tell them Nananana booboo. Of course there is a very slim possibility that the person behind the rifle had a little to do with it. :lol::D:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Shoot the "Bob."

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might get that result with a high-velocity, expanding point bullet, but NOT with a .45-70.  Even with a 300gr HP at 2100 ft/sec, it wouldn't do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't try to take Kaya's .243. I'd become a statistic if I did. 

  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of those cartridges claim lots of game with well-placed shots.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You and your companions are adequately armed. Now, can you put the bullet where it should be when you see an animal worth taking?

 

Crunch time.  :lol:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

You might get that result with a high-velocity, expanding point bullet, but NOT with a .45-70.  Even with a 300gr HP at 2100 ft/sec, it wouldn't do that.

 

Picky-Picky details !

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nay they is Nit -Picky Fellers ....

CLK

 

Jabez Cowboy

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Use whichever one has the best fitting stock for you.  I can’t comment on the suitability of the cartridge until you tell us what you’re hunting.

Edited by sassnetguy50
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

15 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

 In 2 weeks I have a hunt planned with my 16 year old son and 24 year old daughter. My son has a 308 which proved its capability on a black buck doe from 120 yards out. My daughter has a 243 that has 3 pigs by her brother her and her brother each got their first doe with it and last year she got a doe, a spike and a buck with it. I have my 257 Roberts but it hasn't proved itself yet. Should i stick with the Bob or take one of my kids guns and tell them Nananana booboo. Of course there is a very slim possibility that the person behind the rifle had a little to do with it. :lol::D:P

 

I'm kinda curious 'bout that there "black buck doe" your son took with the .308....  :rolleyes:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

 

 

I'm kinda curious 'bout that there "black buck doe" your son took with the .308....  :rolleyes:

Blackbuck | mammal | Britannica

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2020 at 10:18 PM, sassnetguy50 said:

Use whichever one has the best fitting stock for you.  I can’t comment on the suitability of the cartridge until you tell us what you’re hunting.

whitetail and axis doe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2020 at 9:07 PM, J-BAR #18287 said:

You and your companions are adequately armed. Now, can you put the bullet where it should be when you see an animal worth taking?

 

Crunch time.  :lol:

last year my daughter was 3 for 3 my son has always been on mark me usually I am

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2020 at 12:20 PM, Michigan Slim said:

I wouldn't try to take Kaya's .243. I'd become a statistic if I did. 

Kaya and my daughter probably out do both of us by pointing finger and saying bang.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't say how much you have shot the .257 , even a paper targets. Any .25 caliber is good enough to take deer sized animals if the shooter does their part.  My primary caliber is .25-06 and I have killed literally several hundred deer, antelope and pigs with it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My .257 Roberts has taken much game. First rifle, given to me by my father. Great flexability with 87g HP for varmits to 120g SP for deer. You got the right gun!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2020 at 10:20 AM, Michigan Slim said:

I wouldn't try to take Kaya's .243. I'd become a statistic if I did. 

Just because she can outshoot you, you don't get her toys, even if you are the Dad. :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Just because she can outshoot you, you don't get her toys, even if you are the Dad. :D

Had to go there again, did we!?!? ;) 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

You don't say how much you have shot the .257 , even a paper targets. Any .25 caliber is good enough to take deer sized animals if the shooter does their part.  My primary caliber is .25-06 and I have killed literally several hundred deer, antelope and pigs with it. 

i keep good groups with it still wanting find good hand load as 117 gr hornady sst only commercial ammo i been able to get. I dont really like the sst. I'm not worried about acuuracy or ability this post more for fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ranger Dan said:

My .257 Roberts has taken much game. First rifle, given to me by my father. Great flexability with 87g HP for varmits to 120g SP for deer. You got the right gun!

This post i for fun and little humor i plan on using the Bob. Of course unless my daughter decides take it away from me.:lol:

Edited by Perro Del Diablo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One more week until I show my daughter how a grown man cries cause a girl out hunts him. :lol:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I vote for Bob and a new pair of glasses:lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cleaned up rifle last night. In about 24 hours I will be on road to the hunt. Weather liars say should be good mild weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.