Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Stony Lane

Uberti Retractable Firing pin Safety

Recommended Posts

Now that these have been out for a while. Does anyone have experience on how they are holding up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been using my Uberti Gunfighters for a couple of seasons now and they never skipped a beat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had one Of a Pair come in due to failure, It only fired 74 Shots , the other Gun is still going with a round count approaching 500 ....

The one no longer has a retracting pin .... but is still a 3 click gun ...

 

Jabez Cowboy 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to know. I bought a Cimarron through gunbroker site. The seller told me it was a four click gun and since the serial number is only 132 guns after one I had I assumed it was and bought it. When it came in it is the new type.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won’t buy a 3-click SAA. Period.

 

I’m buying a couple used guns, which have period correct actions, and no “safety,” other than “load 5” guns.

 

Cat Brules

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had mine for a few years now.

I use it to fire 38SP full power loads at the local clubs single action target shoot competition.

IMG_0059.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one that I gave to my son. 200-300 rounds through it and no problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used a pair of Cattleman II's for my first year in CAS. Never had a problem with the retractable firing pins. Upgraded to a pair of SASS Rugers only because they felt better in my hand and I liked the lower hammer spur.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I despise the new system. I don't care if it works perfectly fine. A Model P with just three clicks is like a V8 Mustang with a single exhaust.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won't buy a 3 Click Gun for myself either, But they can be fixed to work Ok ...

Or change out the Hammer and Trigger and have a 4 Click Gun ...

Hammers are in short supply right now though....

 

Jabez Cowboy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Stony Lane said:

Now that these have been out for a while. Does anyone have experience on how they are holding up. 

 

They don't. 

OLG 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would Never Buy one !

If someone was to Give me one, I'd turn around Give it to someone I Don't Like :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right up front I'll state that I do not own an Uberti with the retractable firing pin.  When new designs come out, I take a wait and see attitude, and let time, and the experiences of others, guide me. 

Having said that, I hear on this thread, and I have heard on other past threads, that some have no problems with them, and some have problems.  Observing this from the outside, it seems to me that from what I am reading, it is inconsistent in function, for whatever reason.  That tells me the bugs have not been worked out, in this design, and/or there is inconsistent manufacturing at the plant...again, for whatever reason.  Inconsistent quality should not be tolerated in any industry.  We have seen that with the "Marlingtons", and we see it with the retractable firing pin design that Beretta/Uberti has put out there.  Inconsistent quality is unacceptable in anything. 

For now, I will not knowingly purchase one of these.  I just can't see plunking down my hard-earned money on something that may, or may not work.

For now, I will only purchase the "blackpowder frame" model, that, so far, doesn't have the retractable firing pin, or I will purchase an older model, that doesn't have it, or I will go with Pietta, who, again, so far, doesn't have it.  I don't hate the design, I don't necessarily like the design, but I sure as shootin' don't trust the design.  Perhaps the passing of time will correct this. As firearms enthusiasts, we all hope our sport, and those that manufacture our toys, are super successful. 

 

My Two Bits.

W.K.

 

  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KId.

 You are right. I have not been able to make up my mind from the response. It looks to me like 5 shooters have owed them with good results and 5 who have not used them don't like them.

Interesting

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kinda see it like the series 80 fp safety on a 1911 . A solution to a problem that doesn’t exist . Especially in CAS where you can only load 5 . I bought Pietta’s just to avoid it . Did the Beretta lawyers determine they needed this when they purchased umberti?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I kinda see it like the series 80 fp safety on a 1911 . A solution to a problem that doesn’t exist . Especially in CAS where you can only load 5 . I bought Pietta’s just to avoid it . Did the Beretta lawyers determine they needed this when they purchased umberti?

 

Oh, a problem definitely exists.  But it isn't with the gun.  People these days refuse to take responsibility for their own actions.  Thus, lawyers and lawsuits.  Yes, people have been accidently shot and killed with Ubertis.  Were they idiots?  Possibly - not my call.  But there have been expensive lawsuits, and the liability insurance paid by Uberti is huge.  The way I heard it was that Uberti says to the importers: you either take the new safety or we stop paying the liability insurance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

 

Oh, a problem definitely exists.  But it isn't with the gun.  People these days refuse to take responsibility for their own actions.  Thus, lawyers and lawsuits.  Yes, people have been accidently shot and killed with Ubertis.  Were they idiots?  Possibly - not my call.  But there have been expensive lawsuits, and the liability insurance paid by Uberti is huge.  The way I heard it was that Uberti says to the importers: you either take the new safety or we stop paying the liability insurance.

Agree  Just want to know if the guns work because this is what we have

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Short answer....some of the guns work, some don't.  You have to plunk down your money, and take your chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad thing is that for some calibers the new safety is the only choice in a new gun.  Even though you can, at least for now, buy a BP-frame Model P with the authentic features and hammer, those are only available in .45 Colt, 44-40, and .357.  So if you want 32-20, 38-40, .or .44 Spcl, it's the new style.  And Pietta doesn't make those calibers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They do work "Most" of the time.

 

If you want a Nice Pistol that works somewhere between 90 and 99.9 %  of the time.... When its NEW.

But has a Hammer and Firing Pin designed by a Lawyer..... Then Go For It !!!!

 

One more thing to think about.....

It is mechanical and once the Mfg and Distributer are out of the picture, the "Stupid" design is fixable......... 

 

How many of Us shoot "Stock" Guns anyway ?????

I sure Don't.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a really nice pair of Old style 4 click Uberti Taylors Tuned 44 Specials for sale right here on the wire .

Just Sayin 

Rooster 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

:lol: You Go Rooster!!! :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2020 at 8:33 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

 

Oh, a problem definitely exists.  But it isn't with the gun.  People these days refuse to take responsibility for their own actions.  Thus, lawyers and lawsuits.  Yes, people have been accidently shot and killed with Ubertis.  Were they idiots?  Possibly - not my call.  But there have been expensive lawsuits, and the liability insurance paid by Uberti is huge.  The way I heard it was that Uberti says to the importers: you either take the new safety or we stop paying the liability insurance.

 

At this rate the next batch of Ubertis will have a huge cross-bolt safety in the frame as well as a key lock. Along with a huge blaze-orange highlighted rollmark on the barrel that says:

 

"WARNING: DO NOT PURCHASE THIS FIREARM. YOU MIGHT SHOOT YOURSELF WITH IT AND SUE US"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2020 at 8:07 PM, Stony Lane said:

KId.

 You are right. I have not been able to make up my mind from the response. It looks to me like 5 shooters have owed them with good results and 5 who have not used them don't like them.

Interesting

 

I readily admitted that I haven't owned or used a Uberti with the new retractable firing pin. My opinion isn't based on its function or performance. I just hate seeing classic designs ruined by lawyers having their way. It's the same reason why I will not buy a new Smith & Wesson with the infamous "Hillary Hole", aka key lock feature. In my opinion, if you can't figure out how to safely use a Colt Single Action or clone then you probably shouldn't own one. Go buy a Ruger with its bazillion safety features and let those of us who enjoy the nostalgia of owning and shooting an 1870's revolver design have our fun as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2020 at 10:07 PM, Stony Lane said:

KId.

 You are right. I have not been able to make up my mind from the response. It looks to me like 5 shooters have owed them with good results and 5 who have not used them don't like them.

Interesting

 

Boomstick Jay mentioned on Facebook that he has fixed around 100 of them, glean from that what you will.

 

On 5/1/2020 at 10:52 PM, Stony Lane said:

Agree  Just want to know if the guns work because this is what we have

 

So you already have them? Are you just trying to prepare for when they do break?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

 

I readily admitted that I haven't owned or used a Uberti with the new retractable firing pin. My opinion isn't based on its function or performance. I just hate seeing classic designs ruined by lawyers having their way. It's the same reason why I will not buy a new Smith & Wesson with the infamous "Hillary Hole", aka key lock feature. In my opinion, if you can't figure out how to safely use a Colt Single Action or clone then you probably shouldn't own one. Go buy a Ruger with its bazillion safety features and let those of us who enjoy the nostalgia of owning and shooting an 1870's revolver design have our fun as well.

Very much agree. I love my old Cimarron Mod Ps but can find another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

 

Boomstick Jay mentioned on Facebook that he has fixed around 100 of them, glean from that what you will.

 

 

So you already have them? Are you just trying to prepare for when they do break?

No sir. I have the old models and all that I can find available are the new style. Was questioning what is there expected life and can they be fixed. Especially if they could be converted to something similar to my others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Stony Lane said:

No sir. I have the old models and all that I can find available are the new style. Was questioning what is there expected life and can they be fixed. Especially if they could be converted to something similar to my others.

 

I'd suggest finding a Pietta equivalent. EMF Californian or one of the Cimmaron Frontier models ought to be close.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2020 at 8:13 PM, Buckshot Bob said:

I kinda see it like the series 80 fp safety on a 1911 . A solution to a problem that doesn’t exist . Especially in CAS where you can only load 5 . I bought Pietta’s just to avoid it . Did the Beretta lawyers determine they needed this when they purchased umberti?

Not exactly. All imported guns have to have some kind of a safety. Just the way it is. In the past Uberti has used many different types of safeties. The one I prefer, and Pietta still uses, is the long base pin. That’s easy to fix or replace. As for the why uberti chose this design, it turns out we aren’t the biggest market. Not even close. I didn’t know that. It seems there are many more people buying these types of guns that want the old west feel but to be able to carry six. If I had no other choice, I’d buy one of these over a transfer bar Ruger. Fortunately there is an American made alternative. It’s called a Colt. Who’d have thunk it? The gun that started it all can still be used in our game 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I unknowingly got a three click.. I thought  the cattleman II  was the 3 click, mine is the standard cattleman from taylors. Got screwed

 

Soon as I get a new 4 click hammer and trig(got them on back order) It will get fixed to work properly

 

:angry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Not exactly. All imported guns have to have some kind of a safety. Just the way it is. In the past Uberti has used many different types of safeties. The one I prefer, and Pietta still uses, is the long base pin. That’s easy to fix or replace. As for the why uberti chose this design, it turns out we aren’t the biggest market. Not even close. I didn’t know that. It seems there are many more people buying these types of guns that want the old west feel but to be able to carry six. If I had no other choice, I’d buy one of these over a transfer bar Ruger. Fortunately there is an American ma alternative. It’s called a Colt. Who’d have thunk it? The gun that started it all can still be used in our game 

But they weren’t being forced to install this type of safety to bring it into the country. It was a business decision they chose. There also going to lose business , just look at the reaction on this forum . Colt decided to start making the series 70 again , and I’d bet it was because of lost sales opportunities.  What the managers of the company at that time are focused on . They could easily offer both don’t know if it’s the liability or they just don’t want to stock the additional sku’s . It cost them money to develop it and tool up for it so they must be thinking it’s going to save or make them money somewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just know that every time I pull the trigger, my Cattleman IIs in 44-40 go bang.

 

I have a pair of American Regulators, a pair of Cattleman IIs, a pair of case Hardened Vaqueros and a pair of SS Vaqueros all in 44-40.  I use these all for black powder.

 

I shoot other Vaqueros in 357 as my main match revolvers.

 

They all go bang, every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

But they weren’t being forced to install this type of safety to bring it into the country. It was a business decision they chose. There also going to lose business , just look at the reaction on this forum . Colt decided to start making the series 70 again , and I’d bet it was because of lost sales opportunities.  What the managers of the company at that time are focused on . They could easily offer both don’t know if it’s the liability or they just don’t want to stock the additional sku’s . It cost them money to develop it and tool up for it so they must be thinking it’s going to save or make them money somewhere. 

Yes that’s all true. Obviously the business decision they made is based on a belief the the new system sales will be higher than the losses by folks like ya. Only time will tell if that’s an accurate assessment. They are still making the old style on the bp frame guns. For now anyway. A smart move in my opinion would be to keep making the parts. Then they get the best of both worlds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Yes that’s all true. Obviously the business decision they made is based on a belief the the new system sales will be higher than the losses by folks like ya. Only time will tell if that’s an accurate assessment. They are still making the old style on the bp frame guns. For now anyway. A smart move in my opinion would be to keep making the parts. Then they get the best of both worlds. 

If some of the things I have read about failures are true it’s got to be costing them something in warranty repairs . If it’s bad they will come up with some sort of fix because most people are not going to purchase a hammer and trigger out of their own pocket on a gun that’s still under warranty. The spaghetti revolvers are way better now than the umberti I had 30 years ago . I’m sure they’ll make it reliable eventually. Shooters put so many more rounds through guns today they have to . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Buckshot Bob said:

If some of the things I have read about failures are true it’s got to be costing them something in warranty repairs . If it’s bad they will come up with some sort of fix because most people are not going to purchase a hammer and trigger out of their own pocket on a gun that’s still under warranty. The spaghetti revolvers are way better now than the umberti I had 30 years ago . I’m sure they’ll make it reliable eventually. Shooters put so many more rounds through guns today they have to . 

I am in agreement with you here as well. My guess is that the majority of purchases have not come from folks like us that work our guns hard, but rather the various enthusiast and hunters that shoot less in several years than we do a month. It may also not be as wide spread as a vocal minority would have us all believe. I had a couple and never even shot them. Swapped out the hammers right away because the action, regardless of how many clicks, felt strange to me. Out of time for the hammer pull and clicks. That’s just me though. Both uberti and Pietta really have stepped up theirs game recently. I’ve got some super solid guns from both, mostly through cimarron and EMF. 

Edited by El Hombre Sin Nombre
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.