SASS Wire Forum

Hollywood conventions

I'm recovering from a knee replacement revision and watching more TV than usual, hence my attention to meaningless things.

Today's pondering is the "removal of the bullet from the wound" in movies. No matter how grievous the hero's wound, as long as the bullet is removed, he'll recover. They got the bullet(s) out of Virgil Earp so he lived, but they couldn't with Morgan, so he died. And no matter how much they dig and twist with the forceps or pocket knife, there are never any complications. 

And speaking of Morgan in "Tombstone", have you noticed that in his death scene that as Wyatt strokes Morgan's forehead with a very bloody hand, that none of the stuff rubs off? (starts about 1:14 into the clip). 

Ok, I'll move along to other minutia now... ^_^

If life was like what Hollywood portrayed...

- Cops would catch more bad guys because they’d never do paperwork and they’d never be in court.

- Ugly guys with a sense of humor would all have hot chicks.

- What Slim said.

- All heroes would be shot with a “through and through” (stupidest fracking term on the planet) and a 4x2 band aid front and rear is all that’s needed to fix him up.

- All shoulder wounds require the wounded to wear a sling for 2 days and then they are healed.

- All abdomen shots are in that fleshy area just above the hip. No medical attention needed...unless the doctor is a hottie.

- There is no traffic.

- Meals at diners are instant and piping hot.

- Empty cups seem to have a never ending supply of something in them that is drinkable. 

- We would have magic guns that fire with the slide back.

- Any knife slash is fatal and only 1/2 pint of blood is spilled.

I have more but I don’t want to be portrayed as a bitter cynic...gotta go snuggle with my hot chick now. ;)

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If life was like what Hollywood portrayed...

- Cops would catch more bad guys because they’d never do paperwork and they’d never be in court.

- Ugly guys with a sense of humor would all have hot chicks.

- What Slim said.

- All heroes would be shot with a “through and through” (stupidest fracking term on the planet) and a 4x2 band aid front and rear is all that’s needed to fix him up.

- All shoulder wounds require the wounded to wear a sling for 2 days and then they are healed.

- All abdomen shots are in that fleshy area just above the hip. No medical attention needed...unless the doctor is a hottie.

- There is no traffic.

- Meals at diners are instant and piping hot.

- Empty cups seem to have a never ending supply of something in them that is drinkable. 

- We would have magic guns that fire with the slide back.

- Any knife slash is fatal and only 1/2 pint of blood is spilled.

I have more but I don’t want to be portrayed as a bitter cynic...gotta go snuggle with my hot chick now. ;)

Pat:

I concur with all the issues you raised in your response, which, by the way, hit the nail on the head. ;)

However, I am confused by the two statements you made above :rolleyes:, highlighted in RED.

You definitely have a sense of humor; however, it insinuates that you are ugly, which you are NOT! :P

Just wanted to get that clarified for our readers. :D

20 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I'm recovering from a knee replacement revision and watching more TV than usual, hence my attention to meaningless things.

Today's pondering is the "removal of the bullet from the wound" in movies. No matter how grievous the hero's wound, as long as the bullet is removed, he'll recover. They got the bullet(s) out of Virgil Earp so he lived, but they couldn't with Morgan, so he died. And no matter how much they dig and twist with the forceps or pocket knife, there are never any complications. 

And speaking of Morgan in "Tombstone", have you noticed that in his death scene that as Wyatt strokes Morgan's forehead with a very bloody hand, that none of the stuff rubs off? (starts about 1:14 into the clip). 

I always wondered about that myself!

16 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

When the bomb goes off people are able to jump out of the way.

a shot to the middle of the forehead stops all bodily function immediately, the shot person does not pull the trigger or anything else.

Except in the scene in Tombstone where Doc puts a bullet in Johnny Ringo's forehead and he keeps walking and actually fires off a shot!:o

There’s always a parking spot right in front of where they want to go and there’s never a need to even roll up the car windows let alone lock the doors no mater how dodgy the neighborhood. 

Seamus

On 10/20/2018 at 1:49 AM, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Pat:

I concur with all the issues you raised in your response, which, by the way, hit the nail on the head. ;)

However, I am confused by the two statements you made above :rolleyes:, highlighted in RED.

You definitely have a sense of humor; however, it insinuates that you are ugly, which you are NOT! :P

Oh yes he is!  Don't try to butter him up or make him feel better.

On 10/20/2018 at 5:28 AM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Male cops are old and female cops are hot.

Around here they are and I just can't seem to get pulled over by anything other than grumpy old male coppers. UGH!

Only about one in ten pay for their drink or bottle at the saloon.

How many times has Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, the Lone Ranger, et al, been knocked unconscious on the head and never suffered a concussion.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

Only about one in ten pay for their drink or bottle at the saloon.

How many times has Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, the Lone Ranger, et al, been knocked unconscious on the head and never suffered a concussion.

Tonto and Josh Randal are likely tied for getting knocked out in the most episodes. 

I doubt that anyone got beaten up more than Josh Randal did. Seems like at least once every episode and many times more than once.

I often wondered why Tonto continued to hang out with the Lone Ranger. Only reason I could figure was short term memory loss from getting beaten up so much. 

2 hours ago, Aggie Bill said:

What about cannon balls that exploded during the Civil War?

They had developed exploding cannon balls and other artillery rounds long before the start of the civil war. 

6 hours ago, Aggie Bill said:

What about cannon balls that exploded during the Civil War?

They re-shot scenes of The Patriot to edit out exploding shells, and add the effects of large solid projectiles in lines of infantry. 

Solid ammo was all they had in the 1770s. 

On 10/19/2018 at 11:48 PM, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

And when Wyatt runs into the street after Morgan dies (2:40 mark), there is a torrential rain dousing everything. 

Everything, that is, within 30’ of Wyatt. The background is dry where the studio’s rain apparatus didn’t extend. 

11 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I often wondered why Tonto continued to hang out with the Lone Ranger. Only reason I could figure was short term memory loss from getting beaten up so much. 

Maybe that's how or why he got his name.

After all, Tonto does mean "Stupid".

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

They had developed exploding cannon balls and other artillery rounds long before the start of the civil war. 

Which is why limber chests had tables of fire pasted inside the lids.

Related image

Image result for napoleon cannon table of fire

Another movie mistake is artillery tubes that are fired using a flaming torch.  While it is possible that in a pinch you might fire a canon that way, the method in general use during the Civil War was the friction primer, set off using a lanyard.  In addition to the other types of loads, canister was used at close range.  Just like a big shotgun, it could wreak havoc on advancing troops.  At Gettysburg, mortally wounded Lt. Cushing ordered his sergeant, "And at 50 yards, give 'em triple canister!"

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:49 AM, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Pat:

Is that part of the reason he is heading for California? Looking for a shot at movie stardom??

Archived