SASS Wire Forum

38 special brass

Hells Comin

I have a bunch of 38 sp brass with all kinds of head stamps. I was told that some of these aren't suitable to shoot in a 73. The reason being that they didn't have beveled edges on there rims.

If this is correct what head stamps would be suitable?

I hope not!! So far I have found 38 different head stamps.     GW

I never shoot Amerc head stamps.   All the rest run fine.   

S&B will often have tight primer pockets and can lull you into leaving high primers due to difficult seating, so some folks discard them.  Same with mil surplus cases if the primer pocket was swaged to hold the primer tight.

But sharp versus beveled rims?   No, I don't care.

Good luck, GJ

I'd believe what you were told if they reversed the conclusion.  Too much bevel & the extractor would slip off the rim of a case that is tight in the chamber after firing.

Military or brass with tight (undersized) primer pockets can be used if you reform the primer pocket with a a reforming tool or primer pocket swaging tool.  The swaging tools are more productive and there are aftermarket swaging tools for use with Dillon 55/650 presses to almost automate the process.

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I never shoot Amerc head stamps.   All the rest run fine.   

S&B will often have tight primer pockets and can lull you into leaving high primers due to difficult seating, so some folks discard them.  Same with mil surplus cases if the primer pocket was swaged to hold the primer tight.

But sharp versus beveled rims?   No, I don't care.

Good luck, GJ

What GJ said plus avoid BVAC. I've seen BVAC anywhere from a good extractor groove to none at all and the Amerc has no extractor groove, pictured are 3 I culled and 1 I like. From left BVAC, Amerc, BVAC and some of the best once fired brass I ever bought, PMC. Like Deuce now I buy Starline and have had good luck with it.

IMG_2839.JPG

11 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

I use Starline exclusively. Both my Marlins and 73’s run better with a beveled case. And Starline is second to none

4E92763A-BE55-4B97-BE97-783781771ACB.jpeg

Aren't you special with your own head stamp!:P Actually it's kinda cool!

I learned about swaging military brass when I first began reloading for cowboy shooting years ago.  I tried to force a primer into a .38 and the primer went off on my 650 Dillon.  After I changed my undies, I sorted out all the military brass out of my stash.  I bought a Dillon swager and processed all the military brass.  I still haven't had the guts to try it again.  It has sat in a box in the back of the reloading room ever since.

What Deuce has done with his brass supply is very wise.  I've recently had two new bolt assemblies installed in a couple of 73's.  Because I have a 5 gallon bucket filled with mixed brass, I had some difficulties with extraction.  This led to the extractors in both guns to need additional tuning.  The first thing my gunsmith said was that this would have been much less of a problem if all my brass was the same.  

13 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

I have a bunch of 38 sp brass with all kinds of head stamps. I was told that some of these aren't suitable to shoot in a 73. The reason being that they didn't have beveled edges on there rims.

If this is correct what head stamps would be suitable?

Head Stamps that say:  .357 should be considered :rolleyes:   

Okay , Deuce , you got to tell us how you got them to headstamp your name onto your brass.

We knew you were good but THAT good ???

37 minutes ago, X Mark said:

Okay , Deuce , you got to tell us how you got them to headstamp your name onto your brass.

It was easy, thousands of hours of dry fire over the last 16 years, thousands of miles put on vehicles going to events and probably about $100K spent in playing the game....it was a piece of cake. 

1 hour ago, X Mark said:

I believe Starline will produce your own headstamp if you order a massive amount.

not sure how many of what the cost as I use whatever I can find/buy because in 14 years of playing this game I've dry fired a good 100-150 times and pride myself on being 3/4 of the way down the results list (or further if the truth be told)

Love to see folks like Duce shoot though; it's like watching magic at a high rate of speed.

1 hour ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

I believe Starline will produce your own headstamp if you order a massive amount.

not sure how many of what the cost as I use whatever I can find/buy because in 14 years of playing this game I've dry fired a good 100-150 times and pride myself on being 3/4 of the way down the results list (or further if the truth be told)

Love to see folks like Duce shoot though; it's like watching magic at a high rate of speed.

You are correct about Starline. The brass pictured  was made for a ammo manufacturer that will be doing an exclusive line of CAS ammo with my name on it. Not earth shattering but kind of fun and cool. 

1 minute ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

You are correct about Starline. The brass pictured  was made for a ammo manufacturer that will be doing an exclusive line of CAS ammo with my name on it. Not earth shattering but kind of fun and cool. 

it's a great way to see if you're getting all 'your' brass back

1 minute ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

it's a great way to see if you're getting all 'your' brass back

For sure, but it will be bought by the public as well so guess that will be mine too LOL.

33 minutes ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

For sure, but it will be bought by the public as well so guess that will be mine too LOL.

Ok Deuce, I am going to need an Autographed casing! Think there is enough room on the side to sign it?? :D

That's pretty freakin' cool!

2 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

OK, got it now:  there'll be a line of 'Deuce' brass available for sale to general public (as well as all the privates and sergeants)

Archived