SASS Wire Forum

What's going on with Marlin?

Doc Shapiro

52 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Remington has filed for Chapter 11(?) protection while they reorganize

could be part of the problem

The Bankruptcy filling has been delayed until this week.

1 minute ago, JD Lud said:

I disagree...new recent marlin cowboy rifles are very good fit and finish...many who have them would say better than what marlin has ever put out.

Not the ones I have held and looked over myownself.

The QC is a joke..........

OLG

I have a Remington Marlin limited edition 45 LC with the engraving and all.  I use it for WB runs like a champ.

That being said, many of them have had no end of problems.

As for 357 or anymore well with Remington bankruptcy probably not soon.

In another thread sure wish Henry would pick up the 94.

I looked at a half dozen 45 cowboy Marlins yesterday, all I can say is the price was right on them for a reason. The bluing did not match at all, receiver, mag tube, and barrel all different shades of bluing. Furniture fit was rough at best as well. Now with that said I do have a2015 1985g that is pretty decent, good fit and finish. It still maybe a hit or miss thing when it comes to the rm quality Marlins. 

The first thing I notice is the wood fit and finish.  The direction of the grain in the grip area is critical to keep from splitting out.  On the Marlins I've looked at, there was no indication the stock maker had a clue. To make matters worse,  gaps in the wood to metal fit would insure that the recoil forces would be heavy in some places and not at all in others. With all of the obvious mistakes,  I can only conclude there are other problems on the inside unseen.  

There has been a new 336 setting for years in the used gun rack at a local guns shop.  The muzzle crown is cut so poorly it's embarrassing.  I can but wonder how a gun manufacturer could let a product go out in that condition. 

They were so bad after Remington bought Marlin they had to quit making them, I worked on a couple that were rough as a cob. I haven't handled one since they started back, hopefully they got the problems worked out.

Randy

my wife bought a marlin in 357, we went to fire it at the range, action was so rough  it took both hands to work the lever and after several trys she said this damn thing should never left the factory this way and she walked over to the 55 gal drum trash can pitched it in the barrel and said this is where this gun should have been pitched before it ever left the factory. I WOUOD NEVER BUY ONOTHER ONE.

i would not hold my breath on these - i had a really bad experience with an order with them , i think when the time comes that everything else gets worked out they may find time to look at these - they are not the high priority , 

17 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I think Henry is about the only game in town at the moment.

If that was truly the case-Why do you not see more Henry's in SASS/CAS shooters hands?

Ask the SASS/CAS gunsmiths this.........

OLG

Winchester & Marlin competed against each other for so long, always aware that the American market is more about "price point" than true quality, they drove each other into the toilet.   Today's best leverguns come from Japan.  

3 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I was talking about the average joe who walks into a gun store, not CAS enthusiasts who are willing to fork over $1000 for a levergun.

and  still spend several hundred more to make it work while praying you don't need a part

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Winchester & Marlin competed against each other for so long, always aware that the American market is more about "price point" than true quality, they drove each other into the toilet.   Today's best leverguns come from Japan.  

The biggest issue for Winchester, was the patents in place at the time.

Marlin was then, and to this day. The KISS of lever guns. To bad their QC went into the crapper.........

OLG

8 hours ago, LostVaquero said:

Rossi owned by Tarus is not making much either right now.  I think something to do with moving the factory.

Taurus is in the middle of a few law suits. LGS tells me that they won't even accept guns for warranty work. Which there seems to be a LOT of. Same LGS won't even carry Taurus anymore.

Not being anything close to a gun smith I am not sure what makes the HRAC BB not fully suitable.  The action looks like a Marlin 336 to me.  I am guessing no smiths and go faster parts perhaps but could be wrong.  If the former with Tarus/Rossi out and Remington problems might be a market there?

I recently picked up a new Remlin.  I see nothing wrong with it.  It looks great, after the usual slicking it runs as well as a JM marlin.  I have 4 other jm's in the safe and there isn't much difference.  The Remlin has beautiful wood and factory checkering.  It feeds 45 colts without a blip.

MTJ

Archived