SASS Wire Forum

New to Cowboy Guns

Rocky Dog

Hi Everyone,  I'm just discovering what appears to be a very exciting world of cowboy shooting..!  

I'm 61 years old, but NEW to guns.  Just got a hankering for them about a year ago, and in particular: am enamored with Revolvers.. and as I looked into more - Single Action Revolvers.  I purchased my first gun 1 year ago - a simple .22 Heritage Rough Rider Single Action.  Love it.  Then I discovered my brother was in possession of my Father's 1973 3 screw Single Six - Wow!  I was in heaven.  My only venue at this point is a little local shooting club - indoor range.   So I have purchased a Ruger Mark IV Target Semi-Auto, and just got a Browning Buck Mark Hunter - and a very bottom rung Ruger 10/22 rifle. - as we have been target shooting.   

At the end of the day:  my favorites are still the Revolvers.  which brings me to the question:  I'm looking to expand my horizons and get a larger caliber revolver.  I know the venerable 45LC is the true SAA revolver.   but:  since the 38/357 ammo seems to be SO much less expensive - and gives me the option of two loads.. I guess my question is:  should I consider this to be my next step ?  So far.. longer barrels = more accuracy.. so I'm thinking 5.5" to 6.5" ( even ? 7.5" ) barrels.. and since I have tired old eyes.. thinking Ruger Blackhawk with adjustable sights - cause my experience to date is:  the goal is accuracy.    .. and I am very interested in reloading.. as that looks like a great extension of the hobby.

I've never been to a SASS competition.. they look FANTASTIC .  but I know right now:  it's not in the budget to get TWO revolvers..  a Rifle, AND a Shotgun..   maybe someday  - but for now:   I want to take the step to a larger caliber Revolver.  

Any advice from all you veterans - much appreciated . .ie>  Is there good availability of USED guns from the SASS community, as people move up/down and around with their firearm collection?  I'd love to save some $, meet fellow shooters and just enjoy all the hobby has to offer. 

Thanks in advance, 

Mark in Hillsboro, Oregon

36 minutes ago, Rocky Dog said:

I'm 61 years old, but NEW to guns.  Just got a hankering for them about a year ago, and in particular: am enamored with Revolvers.. and as I looked into more - Single Action Revolvers.  I purchased my first gun 1 year ago - a simple .22 Heritage Rough Rider Single Action.  Love it.  Then I discovered my brother was in possession of my Father's 1973 3 screw Single Six - Wow!  I was in heaven.  My only venue at this point is a little local shooting club - indoor range.   So I have purchased a Ruger Mark IV Target Semi-Auto, and just got a Browning Buck Mark Hunter - and a very bottom rung Ruger 10/22 rifle. - as we have been target shooting.   

FIRST - WELCOME to the firearms community.

The beauty of the choices you have made already is - it is hard to go wrong with Rugers.

And your "bottom rung" Ruger 10/22 can be upgraded a piece at a time into a very very nice target rifle.

At the end of the day:  my favorites are still the Revolvers.  which brings me to the question:  I'm looking to expand my horizons and get a larger caliber revolver.  I know the venerable 45LC is the true SAA revolver.   but:  since the 38/357 ammo seems to be SO much less expensive - and gives me the option of two loads.. I guess my question is:  should I consider this to be my next step ?  So far.. longer barrels = more accuracy.. so I'm thinking 5.5" to 6.5" ( even ? 7.5" ) barrels.. and since I have tired old eyes.. thinking Ruger Blackhawk with adjustable sights - cause my experience to date is:  the goal is accuracy.

Blackhawks with adjustable sights are a fantastic choice and are usable in the vast majority of categories within SASS if you decide to go that route.

And you are correct - while 45Colt or even 44-40 are far most historically accurate - 357 magnum shooting 38 special is much more economical.

Accuracy on a handgun platform is by far more dependent on the shooters abilities than an inch or so of barrel one way or another. 

Your opinion of aesthetics of the gun are far more important.  I shoot 4 3/4" barrels - because they look "right" and balance "right" to me.

.. and I am very interested in reloading.. as that looks like a great extension of the hobby.

And if your fascination with shooting and especially cowboy blooms - reloading is integral to affording the time you will spend on the range.

I've never been to a SASS competition.. they look FANTASTIC .  but I know right now:  it's not in the budget to get TWO revolvers..  a Rifle, AND a Shotgun..   maybe someday  - but for now:   I want to take the step to a larger caliber Revolver.  

Go.  Go NOW!  Find a local club - contact their officers and I can GUARANTEE;  (and I don't have to look up your nearest club or even think about it - because this is just the way WE {and by we - I mean SASS clubs and shooters} do things); I ABSOLUTELY guarantee - if you tell them you are new and want to check things out - there will be leather, guns and ammo there for the trying.  We welcome newcomers with open arms and this is the best opportunity you will ever have to handle all the revolvers and toys that we all play with.  And if you mention you are new to guns altogether and your love of revolvers - us cowboys have been known to have other toys we like to show off and play with.  I have a few Smith & Wesson double action competition guns that I love to let others shoot - just because of the smile that the action work puts on their face.

I know others that will suddenly drag out Anacondas and Pythons, Nagants and Schofields, Remingtons and Merwin-Hulberts.  Just let the folks know - you will be amazed.

Any advice from all you veterans - much appreciated . .ie>  Is there good availability of USED guns from the SASS community, as people move up/down and around with their firearm collection?  I'd love to save some $, meet fellow shooters and just enjoy all the hobby has to offer. 

Thanks in advance, 

SASS shooters buy and sell - trade and dicker all the time - we are always upgrading or changing as our needs or interests change. 

Oftentimes there are fantastic opportunities for deals and equipment on the Trading Post or at your local club.

If I or my club can be of any assistance - do not hesitate to ask.

Howdy Rocky;

Two pieces of advise.

1. Get out to a match or two and talk to the folks.

2. Try before you buy. If you go to a match and let the folks doing the sign up know you're new and interested in CAS I'm sure you'll have several folks going "Here, try this." before the day is over.

Right around the corner from you:

Orygun Cowboys

13050 SW Tonquin Rd. Ste 200
Sherwood, OR 97140

Web Site: www.oryguncowboys.us/
Phone: 503-539-6335
E-Mail: kansandave@aim.com
Territorial Governor: Kansan
Phone: 503-539-6335
E-Mail: kansandave@aim.com

Other Oregon SASS Clubs : http://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=Oregon#map

From there I'm sure you can also get to the Washington State listings.

Welcome and be ready to get addicted. 

I'm new as well and went with the 38/357 for cost and recoil. Some gun shops have rentals you can try or go to a shoot. I'm sure they will let you try different guns. As far as barrel length try different ones and see how they feel. I'm a silver senior but the shorter barrels felt more comfortable to me. You can always step up to bigger caliber and length.

Welcome to Cowboy Action Shooting.

Here is a link to the SASS main web page

Here is a link to help you find your closest SASS clubs.  Looks like the Molalla River Rangers and the Orygun Cowboys are the two closest clubs.  Contact them and go to a match.  Be sure to take eye and ear protection and be prepared to have fun. 

Above all else don't buy guns till you have been to a match or two. Plenty of Cowboys and Cowgirls will be glad for you to try their guns so that you can see what you like.

Lastly here is a link to the Shooters Handbook.  Look it over so that you  are familiar with it. Don't worry if you don't understand everything at first, after you attend a match or two things will fall into place.

What a warm welcome!  Thank you so much everyone.  Given the quick considerate responses..  SASS seems like: good folk.  Local club looks like they have something n Dec. 16th..  I'll try to check that out.  Also looks like the SASS Classifieds is pretty active. that's great.   At first I found Uberti, then the distributions of Uberti by Taylors and Cimarron.  and now I fine EMF by Pietta that < appears? > to have a good comments.  Any comments on those, appreciated.. and I'll watch and listen to forum comments.    Thanks again for the warm welcome!   -- RockyDog   

2 hours ago, Rocky Dog said:

Thanks in advance, 

Welcome to the game. Get out to a shoot asap. You will only regret that you didn't do it sooner. As an aside, I lived in Cornelius for awhile.

35 minutes ago, Rocky Dog said:

What a warm welcome!  Thank you so much everyone.  Given the quick considerate responses..  SASS seems like: good folk.  Local club looks like they have something n Dec. 16th..  I'll try to check that out.  Also looks like the SASS Classifieds is pretty active. that's great.   At first I found Uberti, then the distributions of Uberti by Taylors and Cimarron.  and now I fine EMF by Pietta that < appears? > to have a good comments.  Any comments on those, appreciated.. and I'll watch and listen to forum comments.    Thanks again for the warm welcome!   -- RockyDog   

Handguns-Go Ruger......;)

SASS only uses lead bullets.

OLG

Welcome Rocky Dog !

Rookie advice here . . . 

Go to a match or just buy a pair like I did

Shoot them for a while and if you don't like the guns . . move to the next pair

There will anyways be a next pair sooner than later 

Don't ask me how I know 

I started with a mint used pair of RNV SASS - still have them

And a few weeks later I bought a pair of Cimarron Eliminator C in 357

Don't wanna mention the others .  . . 

And here's the funny some might even call it the bizar part . . . I still need to shoot my first full match !

Try and buy or buy and try - whatever works for you - but the most important part :

H a v e   f u n  &  e n j o y !

Here’s something even more bizarre; my girlfriend Ginny Hinny and I joined SASS in September.  We now have a pair of pistols each, two rifles, and several shotguns. 

Yet, we haven’t shot in any matches to date.  There’s an ongoing saga regarding the fit of the gun belts we ordered - it took nine weeks for them to arrive, whereupon we found they were both too small, so we sent them back with the requested size correction. 

The replacement belts arrived the other day.  Mine is now too big; not sure yet about Ginny’s.  Hopefully we’ll get in a local match this year, but it’s not looking good!

Best of luck and have fun. 

45 minutes ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

..The replacement belts arrived the other day.  Mine is now too big; not sure yet about Ginny’s.  Hopefully we’ll get in a local match this year, but it’s not looking good!

You're probably going to get fatter as you get older like a lot of us.  Keep the gunbelt for a spare later and just buy another one.  :)

another welcome , we need reinforcements that are interested in continuing the legacy , shooting SASS is a great way to advance this , we are responsible shooters and gun owners 

Don't start, run away, run away, I tell you.  If you don't you will find your life has been changed forever.  I was a year younger than you when I bought my first revolvers, a pair of 45 Ruger Vaqueros I bought for Cowboy Shooting.  I still own them.  You will be amazed at just how fast you are sucked into Cowboy Shooting.  Trust me, don't start SASS.   If you do you will find lots and lots of people trying to suck you into the game.  You will find yourself at a match.  They will offer to let you shoot.  When they do, run away, run away.  If you do shoot they will have you forever.  There is nothing a 61 year old can do that is more pure fun than playing cowboy. Shooting pistols, rifle and shot gun at steel is more addicting than heroin.  Once you start there is no going back.  You will meet people who you will soon think of as life long friends, but you won't know their names. You will trust them like few others in your life.  The trust will be rewarded. You will meet people who you will really care about and who will really care about you.  Run away, run away unless you want to have more fun than a 61 year old should have standing up with his clothes on.  

My exwife calls CAS Cowboy Heroin.

I admit that I am powerless over Cowboy and my life is unmanegable, AND I'm fine with that.

Welcome ask questions find new family enjoy.

Imis

13 minutes ago, Bart Solo said:

Don't start, run away, run away, I tell you.  If you don't you will find your life has been changed forever.  I was a year younger than you when I bought my first revolvers, a pair of 45 Ruger Vaqueros I bought for Cowboy Shooting.  I still own them.  You will be amazed at just how fast you are sucked into Cowboy Shooting.  Trust me, don't start SASS.   If you do you will find lots and lots of people trying to suck you into the game.  You will find yourself at a match.  They will offer to let you shoot.  When they do, run away, run away.  If you do shoot they will have you forever.  There is nothing a 61 year old can do that is more pure fun than playing cowboy. Shooting pistols, rifle and shot gun at steel is more addicting that heroin.  Once you start there is no going back.  You will meet people who you will soon think of as life long friends, but you won't know their names. You will trust them like few others in your life.  The trust will be rewarded. You will meet people who you will really care about and who will really care about you.  Run away, run away unless you want to have more fun than a 61 year old should have standing up with his clothes on.  

So true and just wait till he discovers the Dark Side. :ph34r: Then there will be no saving him. :lol:  :lol:

11 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

So true and just wait till he discovers the Dark Side. :ph34r: Then there will be no saving him. :lol:  :lol:

About once a month, I load up 60 rounds with APP just to experience the sensation of not being able to see the targets when I shoot my pistols.

:)

Welcome to the most fun you can have with your clothes on.  As others have said it is very addictive. 38/357 is a good choice for economy and recoil, I started with 45 Colt but eventually got "Go fast fever" and switched to .38. Don't get hung up on barrel length for accuracy I won the Long Range Pistol Side Match at Black Gold a few years ago with a 4 5/8" barrel Vaquero shooting against long barrel Blackhawks. This year I won the Long Range Pistol at the Tennessee State Match with a 5.5" Bisley Vaquero, sight alignment and trigger control is more important than barrel length. As others have said get to a Cowboy club ,talk to shooters and see which guns feel good to you.  You can't go wrong with a Ruger.

Again Welcome

Randy

Rocky Dog,

Welcome to the SASS WIRE.     

You'll enjoy this madness as much as the rest of us. 

And don't mind those of us who prompt a laugh or two, we're completely harmless, same as our ability to shoot straight. :P

5a2a931932ca1_FKCGG-Sheriff.JPG.e325a90adac3cfbfe32e9fdb6a147bc1.JPG

1 hour ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

About once a month, I load up 60 rounds with APP just to experience the sensation of not being able to see the targets when I shoot my pistols.

:)

I thought not seeing the targets was normal at my age.  :D

Well let me extend your first international HOWDY from across The Pond.

Welcome to the most addicting sport known to mankind.

I just turned 60 myself and can't believe I let myself get hooked into this from just watching a few of #Jed iTV vids.  Now, I'm itching to get home again so I can start playing cowboy.  Actually its the people I'm looking forward to meeting when I get to some matches.  And well, you get to buy more guns.  What's not to love?  :D

Again, WELCOME and don't be a stranger  Everyone's willing and ready to share their toys and experience with ya.

5a256158cd64a_HardcaseHardin-PosseMember.JPG.55122c1d3ec981080a9279dee9b3d17d.JPG.6a7c926ecd95ff76634c7259e02c3198.JPG

6 hours ago, Rocky Dog said:

We look forward to seeing you.  The Orygun Cowboys are some of the best.  Because you mentioned that you already own a few Rugers might I suggest either a New Vaquero or New Blackhawk if you want a more modern sight system for target.

Personally I love the Vaqueros.  I will have Six myself...  Currently only have the three...  And think about joining us for Speed Steel while you're at it.  That can be just as fun, even if the people aren't nearly as cool as us Cowboy types...

Welcome to a great game.  As others have said, go to a match or two and talk to the folks there.  You'll probably be amazed by the amount of welcome and help you will be offered.  

One word of advice: don't be shy.  Talk to the people at the matches.  You'll be amazed at how friendly everybody is.

5a25616c5af35_OutriderOutlaw-PosseMember.JPG.cc7413867ddb6cfe8e73e8e507c76203.JPG

14 hours ago, Kingair said:

And here's the funny some might even call it the bizar part . . . I still need to shoot my first full match !

H a v e   f u n  &  e n j o y !

RR-Bar is shooting this Sunday, and first time shooters shoot for FREE. ;)

OLG

love the humor here .. . my kinda folk!

I see Orygun cowboys has something Dec. 16th - I will try to BE THERE ! 

* My eyes like adjustable sights ( Blackhawk ) ... my Brain likes vintage ( Vaquero , 1873 Cattleman, Smoke Wagon, Evil Roy, Eliminator, Great Western II .......) 

1 minute ago, LostVaquero said:

Welcome Rocky Dog and a big Minnie Pearl style HOWWWWWDEEEE!!!

As you get into things wait until you grt past Colt style SAA.  Top breaks and more.

Yep.  At the top of my to-get list is a pair of Model No. 3 Schofields. 

Welcome Rocky!!!

You'll come for the guns and the game!!  YOU'LL STAY FOR THE PEOPLE!!

Before you're done, you'll buy all sorts of guns and gear, get your significant other involved, wind up with a safe full of guns and toys, and be happier than you've been since you were a kid!!  Imis is right!!! It's Cowboy Heroin!!  You can ask his wife!!  She's hooked now too!!!!:lol::lol:

Go to a match!!  Play with whatever is offered, (you'll hurt some cowboy's feelin's if you don't try his toys). Try to offer to pay for ammo, (your offer is most likely going to be refused). Ask every question that you think of, (the very best shooters will show or tell you their most helpful secrets and tricks). Go again the very next chance you get!! B)

AGAIN!! WELCOME!!!

9 hours ago, Rocky Dog said:

love the humor here .. . my kinda folk!

I see Orygun cowboys has something Dec. 16th - I will try to BE THERE ! 

* My eyes like adjustable sights ( Blackhawk ) ... my Brain likes vintage ( Vaquero , 1873 Cattleman, Smoke Wagon, Evil Roy, Eliminator, Great Western II .......) 

Welcome to the mix. You mentioned 1873 Cattleman, Eliminator etc. Uberti  recently changed the firing pin set up in the NEW models of previously built ones. There's been a few issues with that new set up, and one was in the SASS Wire 

I shoot Uberti's and Piettas so I'm not dumping on Uberti. Rugers are always a good choice. Pietta makes a very good 1873 replica. I have 4 Great Westerns, 2 are the Alchemista's. All of my Uberti's are older models with the "Colt style" firing pins so there's been no problems with those.

A lot of people have said GO TO A SHOOT and try before you buy. Just do it. I can't think of anyone I do and have shot with that wouldn't be hanging leather on you and loading you up with guns to try out. Enjoy the days with loud noisy  people....uhhh...I mean guns.   :unsure:

Archived