SASS Wire Forum

Beginner's existing equipment

Roscoe Regulator

Have been studying rules, considering guns and costumes, and have not spent any money yet, anticipating observing my first match this Sunday while under a veteran's wing.

I have been trying to avoid buying guns since I have so many, but I know I will need my own shotgun eventually. I am trying to work with the holsters and belts that I have. It seems I have a choice in direction, discovered or realized this afternoon. I can go the adjustable sight route or the 45 Colt fixed sight route, intending to be in Distinguished Veteran and shooting Duelist. Correct me if I got the wrong impression here as I go along.

I have a New Vaquero and an El Patron Belleza in 45 Colt, both 5.5". I have the right style holsters for strong side and cross draw. I have a Henry Big boy in 45 Colt. I have the suitable cartridge belt.

In adjustable sights, I have two Ruger Flat Tops (NMBH), one 6 1/2" 44 Magnum cross draw and one 4 5/8" 44 Special strong side, carried on a 44/45 cal Texas belt by El Paso Saddlery. The rifle is a Marlin 44 Mag. I have a bandoleer for it. The question becomes both holsters having retention straps with snaps. The cross draw holster is a Threepersons style; looks real cowboy to me; and the strong side is more of a hard hunter/ranger style but fits the 2 1/4" Texas cartridge belt.

I reload for all these, and my ammo supply of 44 Special is book rated at under the 1000 fps limit. I would think the rifle velocity would be proportionally legal. I checked whether the rifle would cycle 44 Special okay, and it did very smoothly.

My greatest interest was thwarted when I found that my Cimarron Lightning 357 pump rifle would not cycle 38 special except one round at a time. There is an open question whether the tube spring is too strong and should be shorter. When it brings up a round, it spits another one out with it, and we're all jammed up. I am aware of the gun's reputation in fast-cycling competition, but it seems to work well with 357 Mag length cartridges. Trouble is my 2 braces of 38 caliber, old style guns are 38 Special Uberti/Cimarron/Taylor’s Stallions and Lightnings. I guess I could use 357 in the rifle and 38 Special in the revolvers, barring any need to reload in a stage. I suppose one side of the cartridge belt could be 357 for the rifle.

At nearly 73, I am in pretty good shape but not up for much in the way of athletics or serious competition. I am more interested in improving my own times and skill level and just having a good time with the guns, dressing up and socializing, and just generally doing more with guns than fondling them, practicing, cleaning, and writing about them on gun forums. Tried IDPA 7 years ago and didn't do very well or feel like I belonged there, no fault of anyone else's. All of these competitions, certainly CAS according to YouTube, have shooters with such high skill levels that it can be pretty intimidating to think about jumping in and embarrassing myself. But it's all good, and I will follow advice and not overthink it until attending a match. If you want to nudge me in a direction with my equipment, feel free.

On the costuming side, I shopped without buying anything yet but have identified shirt, vest, tie, and sleeve garters. I also found a hat that seems more authentic to me than many of the rodeo hats I see on pictures of others. The real deal, fur felt is $500, so there had to be a better idea there. I recall the source for the gear was Sully or Scully, surely familiar to those already into the sport. I have Ariat Roper boots in three styles, and hope those will do. There is a pattern on the soles but not what I would call "lugs", mentioned in the rules.

Gonna have to go with belted trousers for now, suspenders to follow. I figure rather than use blue jeans I would get the black, tan, or brown ones and go the route of cutting off belt loops.

Been through the rules a number of times and am still not clear on age-based categories and shooting styles, whether two-handed, one gun or two gun, unsupported. Just not sure I understand where I would fit in according to the rules.

That's where I'm at for now. Looking forward to Sunday's match.

Most of your questions on categories and clothing will become clearer when you attend a match...... :) (It really isn't that big a deal when you are first starting)

Put on what seems to be "western wear" to you and you will fit right in.

15 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Have been studying rules, considering guns and costumes, and have not spent any money yet, anticipating observing my first match this Sunday while under a veteran's wing.

I have been trying to avoid buying guns since I have so many, but I know I will need my own shotgun eventually. I am trying to work with the holsters and belts that I have. It seems I have a choice in direction, discovered or realized this afternoon. I can go the adjustable sight route or the 45 Colt fixed sight route, intending to be in Distinguished Veteran and shooting Duelist. Correct me if I got the wrong impression here as I go along.

I have a New Vaquero and an El Patron Belleza in 45 Colt, both 5.5". I have the right style holsters for strong side and cross draw. I have a Henry Big boy in 45 Colt. I have the suitable cartridge belt.

In adjustable sights, I have two Ruger Flat Tops (NMBH), one 6 1/2" 44 Magnum cross draw and one 4 5/8" 44 Special strong side, carried on a 44/45 cal Texas belt by El Paso Saddlery. The rifle is a Marlin 44 Mag. I have a bandoleer for it. The question becomes both holsters having retention straps with snaps. The cross draw holster is a Threepersons style; looks real cowboy to me; and the strong side is more of a hard hunter/ranger style but fits the 2 1/4" Texas cartridge belt.

I reload for all these, and my ammo supply of 44 Special is book rated at under the 1000 fps limit. I would think the rifle velocity would be proportionally legal. I checked whether the rifle would cycle 44 Special okay, and it did very smoothly.

My greatest interest was thwarted when I found that my Cimarron Lightning 357 pump rifle would not cycle 38 special except one round at a time. There is an open question whether the tube spring is too strong and should be shorter. When it brings up a round, it spits another one out with it, and we're all jammed up. I am aware of the gun's reputation in fast-cycling competition, but it seems to work well with 357 Mag length cartridges. Trouble is my 2 braces of 38 caliber, old style guns are 38 Special Uberti/Cimarron/Taylor’s Stallions and Lightnings. I guess I could use 357 in the rifle and 38 Special in the revolvers, barring any need to reload in a stage. I suppose one side of the cartridge belt could be 357 for the rifle.

At nearly 73, I am in pretty good shape but not up for much in the way of athletics or serious competition. I am more interested in improving my own times and skill level and just having a good time with the guns, dressing up and socializing, and just generally doing more with guns than fondling them, practicing, cleaning, and writing about them on gun forums. Tried IDPA 7 years ago and didn't do very well or feel like I belonged there, no fault of anyone else's. All of these competitions, certainly CAS according to YouTube, have shooters with such high skill levels that it can be pretty intimidating to think about jumping in and embarrassing myself. But it's all good, and I will follow advice and not overthink it until attending a match. If you want to nudge me in a direction with my equipment, feel free.

On the costuming side, I shopped without buying anything yet but have identified shirt, vest, tie, and sleeve garters. I also found a hat that seems more authentic to me than many of the rodeo hats I see on pictures of others. The real deal, fur felt is $500, so there had to be a better idea there. I recall the source for the gear was Sully or Scully, surely familiar to those already into the sport. I have Ariat Roper boots in three styles, and hope those will do. There is a pattern on the soles but not what I would call "lugs", mentioned in the rules.

Gonna have to go with belted trousers for now, suspenders to follow. I figure rather than use blue jeans I would get the black, tan, or brown ones and go the route of cutting off belt loops.

Been through the rules a number of times and am still not clear on age-based categories and shooting styles, whether two-handed, one gun or two gun, unsupported. Just not sure I understand where I would fit in according to the rules.

That's because it is chambered and designed for .357.  The Uberti Lightning has a mechanical magazine cutoff that is set for cartridges around 1.520" in length.  Anything shorter and the gun won't cyclce correctly.  A lot of .38 Specials are shorter than this.  Yes, everyone knows a lot of .357s, such as the Winchester 66 and 73, will cycle .38s.  But, the Uberti Lightning isn't one of them.  Keep your ammo OAL up over 1.550 and you will eliminate a lot of feeding problems.

Roscoe, My initial impression is that you are putting way too much thinkin' into this.

Just strap on your favorite pair of 6 shooters, go Shoot & have Fun.... Everything else will work itself out.

No need to worry about age brackets right now.

On your first shoot, if you want to shoot one handed just sign up in Duelist.

If you're a two handed pistol shooter, sign up in Cowboy.

You will learn way more by shooting in one match than you possibly can here on the Wire in months.

I promise you, the people on your posse will help you out along the way.

Have FUN !!!!!!

Have fun and check out a match, talk to as many as you can at the match (just not while they are at the loading or unloading tables).

One thing that may help your decision is that adjustable sight revolvers are not legal in Duelist Category.

Have fun and welcome to the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Randy

Good advice above. Strap on the .44's and run with the Flat Tops & Marlin with your .44 special load. Just wear some kind of leather foot wear and a button up long sleeve shirt. After a match or two you will sort things out and figure out what you need and more importantly what you want:)

Be safe have fun:)

2 hours ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

Roscoe, My initial impression is that you are putting way too much thinkin' into this.

Just strap on your favorite pair of 6 shooters, go Shoot & have Fun.... Everything else will work itself out.

No need to worry about age brackets right now.

On your first shoot, if you want to shoot one handed just sign up in Duelist.

If you're a two handed pistol shooter, sign up in Cowboy.

You will learn way more by shooting in one match than you possibly can here on the Wire in months.

I promise you, the people on your posse will help you out along the way.

Have FUN !!!!!!

If Cowboy is different than Classic Cowboy mentioned in the rules, specifying fixed sights only, where would I find it described? Neither my Blackhawks nor Henry Big Boy are eligible for Classic Cowboy per my reading of the rules, and I don't have the costume for it. My 38s and Lightning rifle are not 40 cal or higher to qualify. My real question is other than a shotgun, do I have equipment I can use without buying new guns, ever. I am in the process of selling guns, not buying them.That's why I listed all my current possibilities.

1 hour ago, San Joaquin Shootist said:

Good advice above. Strap on the .44's and run with the Flat Tops & Marlin with your .44 special load. Just wear some kind of leather foot wear and a button up long sleeve shirt. After a match or two you will sort things out and figure out what you need and more importantly what you want:)

Be safe have fun:)

What class would/could that be?

Welcome to the fire Roscoe.. :)

Just get out and enjoy yerself..

If ya want to shoot duelist.. Sign up in the "Duelist " class..

Purty much all ages and all calibers would be there..

Reckon at "almost 73" you could sign up as "Elder Statesman "

but.. That's not limited to duelist..

You will be shooting against 2 handed shooters also..

But.. Then again.. Just starting out I sense ya want to do well..

it's just that shooting with more experienced shooters don't expect much..

When I first started.. My first match.. I was 2nd. From the bottom..

That in itself gave me something to shoot for like "Getting myself better"

getting my name higher on the list.. Your always shooting against yerself.. 

From there it's just how "Good" do you want to get..

How much and how hard do you want to practice..:mellow:

I've been at it now 13-14 years.. I've won my catagory a few years

back at a big match.. But then once I won it..

I had to decide if I wanted to practice hard enough to keep it.. I didn't..

Go to yer match..

Have fun..

Rance ;)

Thinkin this kinda got long winded..:unsure: Sorry..

Welcome Roscoe,

If you would list your location, many people close to you will invite you out to their club.

Don't cut the belt loops off yet!  Go to "Better S-Penders" and buy suspenders that clamp onto your belt loops.  I wear'em all the time.  They last forever.

Guns:  Nothing beats a fixed-sighted revolver for shooting cowboy action.  I have used my Blackhawks and find they slow me down considerably because I try to get a "good sight picture" with those big adjustable sights!  It's easier and quicker to aim a fixed-sighted handgun.

Ammo:  I use the same powder load and bullet weight in both my 38's and my .357's.  The only difference is the length.  They both work fine.  I use Trail Boss powder.

Shoot what you want to shoot and worry about categories later.  Wear work clothes and a cowboy hat and you're good to go!

Hats:  Check out "Hats by the Hundred".  They're in Australia but they sell some dern fine felt hats at a reasonable price.  They ship fast too!  Buy an "open crown" hat and shape it yourself.  My hats took more time to get from New York to my house than it took to get from Australia to New York.

I hope this helped,

Slow Mo Dern

Roscoe... Quit over thinking!

Once you have a few shoots under your belt,

THEN you will have a better idea of what equipment you want to sell & what you will want to buy.

Watch my pard Long Hunter in this video, then Go Shoot & have some Fun.

Roscoe,

Welcome to the fun. 

Either set of pistols (fixed or adjustable sights) and either rifle would be acceptable in any of the age based categories, and you could shoot duelist.  But you will be shooting against others who will be shooting two handed.

The fixed sighted pistols and either rifle would be allowed in Duelist or Senior Duelist (if recognized).  Just so you know you could be shooting against shooters at least eight years younger than you.  That should not be a problem until you start feeling competitive.

As for clothes a button down long sleeve shirt or a long sleeve Henley style shirt will work.  Almost any pants from jeans to business casual slacks (think Dockers) are allowed in age based or Duelist categories.  Even a Dickies style work outfit would be perfectly acceptable.  Almost all my pants have belt loops no problem there.  The boots you describe sound fine.

I have a picture from my second or third year of shooting of me and another shooter with very similar outfits.  He had bought his from Cabela's for several hundred dollars, mine was old work or dress clothes (boots and pants) or Goodwill (shirt) or yard sale (vest and hat).  I had less than ten dollars invested and you could not tell the outfits apart in the picture.  A rodeo style hat can be steamed and reshaped in the store or at home.  A hat is not required in either age based or Duelist, but is recommended.  The point is do not get too hung up on clothes.

Take what you have and a box of 12 gauge shot gun shells to a match tell them at registration you are just starting out and be prepared to try every shotgun there, and probably a couple of rifles and pistols too.

Hope this helps,

Smoke 

And like others have said, dont get too hung up on getting yer duds all sorted rite away.

Some folks do get a bit Carried Away IMHO.........

son-of-paleface-bob-hope-3.jpg.3140242790205262fb3b719ddcce82c3.jpg

Personally I prefer the Goodwill store "Side Kick" look.

Howdy Roscoe,

You might notice I went through and liked a lot of posts. saves this tenderfoot overtyping the same things. Participated in my first match last Sunday  (had to leave early, other plans)with the Cascade Ghostriders. Had a great time, learned a ton, and got a lot of helpful advice on what sort of steps I should work on next. Costuming is fun and I have a few elements together but will add to it as time and money allow. Like all have said, get out there. I have plans that will keep me from my next meet for a bit but I am looking forward to it. Also need to remember how to shoulder my shotgun. I don't think I've shot one more than once or twice since FBI training in the Coast Guard. Still have a pretty bruise in the wrong place.. Fortunately my rifle fits me fine and is what I am most proficient at. You are gonna have fun.

Now as an avid motorcycle rider, I might argue with the folks saying something about the most fun with clothes on, but I like dragging the edge of my boot through a tight turn. To each their own, but this is up in my top 5.B) maybe 3. I also like flying sailing hulls at 20 knots, but it's been awhile.

You are the first I recall ever ready the rules and not spending a cent before asking a question.  Imo you're a head of the other new shooters.  I was that smart and bought and sold several sets of guns before settling into my favorite guns I shoot before becoming a collector of sass guns.  

Find your local matches attend them with the mind set of learning the sass way and helping out if possible call ahead of time and introduce yourself, it might be beneficial.  I'm sure if you help out they will be cowboys throwing there gear at you to try out.  Take them up try as many different pistols rifles and shotguns both stock and race ready before spending your first dollar on gear.  If you find someone of like minds that has gear you can use great don't forget to take them out for breakfast, lunch or dinner to show your appreciation if not at least offer to assist with the ammo plus push the cart for them during the match.  

Find what revolers youre you're going to get and what caliber you will shoot except for b western and classic cowboy and certain black powder category any sass legal revolver will work in any category same with caliber of ammo, rifle and shotgun.  If you intend on frontiersman ot bw or cc then you need to make you choice depending on those categories the other categories go wild with your choice.

if your going to shoot frontiersman then get yourself a set of ruger old armys.  You can later buy conversion cylinders for them for the other bp categories and some even shoot light cowboy smokeless loads in them .  The other bp c&b revolvers will not handle smokeless loads over time if ever. Rifle choice is open depending on not selecting bw or cc. If you select bw it requires something of the 1892 design or later sass legal rifles in pistol caliber.for cc it requires a 1873 or earlier design sass legal pistol caliber rifle.  Frontiersman requires a SxS or 1887 or clone shotgun .cc requires a hammered SxS or 1887 or clone shotgun plus your rifle and revolvers must be .40 caliber or larger sass legal ammo. 

When it comes to leather bw requires res the top of the revolver grip to ride below the top of the belt whereas cc requires it above it the other categories don't care.  

Try out the different gun carts also some like the durability of the steel frame carts others prefer the tradional wooden carts while some like the baby stroller style.

Clothing is up to you as long as you have long sleave button up shirt or one of the tradional style shirts and pants. Footware is restricted to non military boots and athletic shoes.  Hats are encouraged but not required except for bw and cc.  Footware is more restricted in those categories also so check the rules.  You can build your cowboy persona after your required items if you wish.

welcome to the campfire and it's the most addicting fun you can have with your clothes on.  It's not a cheap game, hobby, sport to get in to. But it's probably the only place you'll find men talking about clothes and women discussing firearms.

edited after reading more than the first paragraph.

good that you have such a collection going into cas.  The holsters should work until you settle on you cas guns of choice and buy a good quality cas rig.  If I'm correct your Marlin will shoot 44 Spc without problems that way you can use 44 Spc in all three guns if you go the 44 route .

send the pump rifle to lassiter to get cas race ready when it comes back you be able to shoot 38spc in it. 

No need to cut the loops off jeans are ok especially in the beginning unless you don't like wearing jeans.  Then wool or cotton pants would be used.  

If you into into this game seriously then you find that 38 Spc ruger vaqueros a uberti 1873 rifle and skb shotgun will be guns of choice all with action jobs if not more tweaking.  I recommend lassiter and long hunter for your rebolver and rifle work, lassiter for pump rifle and lever shotgun work all other shotgun work I use Johnny meadows.  He can do the other guns also I've just never used any of his revolvers or rifles although I gave him a challenge earlier this year when I bought an original 1873 and told him to get it ready for cas.  I use to wear kirtpactrick long hunter holsters but got tired of having to relocate them on the belt everytime I put them on Mernickle holster lock on to the belt with his designs.  Bandoliers are used by some but mainly for shotgun ammo and are usually slower than a belt or slide.  Ammo can be carried in boxes to the loading table. Must just have a couple of rifle rounds on their belt on a slide so they can position them where they can reach them if needed for an ejected rifle round or a rifle reload.  In over a decade I don't recall ever having a revolver reload on the clock. We load the shotgun from our person on most stages unless it requires us to stage the ammo before the beep.

i used several designs of gun carts of the years from a coupled together golf cart to custom wooden cart made by a cabinet maker to what I think is the easiest to push rugged gun cart.  

Go to a match cha with your freeing see how thing work if you get into it to win then you'll be changing your gear if you there to burn powder with friends then you might not.  I'd like to see how many that stick with the game use the same gear they started with that didn't try out everything prior to buying.

13 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

If it's a Cimmaron made by Pedersoli the problem you are having with feeding can be fixed rather easily. As Larsen says cartridge overall length is critical with a Lightning. The problem you're having is the cartridge stop lever is not coming up far enough to stop the next cartridge. Roger Rapid puts out an excellent how to manual on the Pedersoli Lightning rifle and I would encourage you to PM him and request a copy, you'll be glad that you did. Welcome to the game.

13 hours ago, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

Welcome to the fire Roscoe.. :)

<snip>

Go to yer match..

Have fun..

Rance ;)

Thinkin this kinda got long winded..:unsure: Sorry..

Thanks, but I think I have it straight that I can shoot with my left hand running the hammer and that adjustable sights are not allowed in Duelist. I also understand better what Duelist means and that I am not proficient in firing that way. I have gone through some YouTube videos and find that short of going to a match there is no substitute for seeing how it's done. I do have to wonder about squibs though, with everyone in such a hurry to fire the next shot. There have to have been some guns blown up or even injuries along the way. Would just have to be double-darned careful when preparing ammo.

17 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

I reload for all these, and my ammo supply of 44 Special is book rated at under the 1000 fps limit. I would think the rifle velocity would be proportionally legal.

You might want to consider keeping your fps down around 600 to 700. Easier on targets and still plenty potent at 120 to 140 power factor. (for 200 gr bullets)

Provided those loads perform well in your guns.

Howdy Roscoe, and welcome!

No reason to wait on the suspenders (braces) for actual cowboy pants.  You can get clip on buttons at the Suspender Store online and put them on your jeans.  They may also have suspenders that you like.

Have fun!

Grizz

Silver Sam, you have mentioned overthinking twice, but please appreciate that such is the way I am, and I am proud of having done some homework here. I am just trying to weigh whether I can actually afford SASS and in fact whether I should even go to the trouble of attending a match...not a trivial matter in my case, with three little dogs I wouldn't leave for several hours. I may prove to be little more than a spectator for a few hours, given two hours travel time round trip. I found that there is a lot to consider. Since writing all this, I have been referred to some good online resources that make it all more clear. I have a mentor who invited me to attend.

To compound the issue of equipment, it seems that few guns are smooth or reliable without significant gunsmithing delay and expense, so real compromises will be necessary, if I want to enjoy this sport for a few years as an active competitor. As another troubling detail, the holster guys are backed up for most of a shooting season. Getting the Lightning rifle working with 38 could take a year. A cross draw order for 32 caliber is 8-10 weeks out, and the Henry 327 Fed Mag rifle is not on the street yet. That would be my real wish list rather than a 38 lever gun. I am better positioned to give this all a try with 44 Special adjustable sights/Marlin 44, or 45 Colt fixed sight, paired with a Henry Big Boy.

I wish I could find more about "Age-based" classes, seeming to imply that few restrictions apply.

8 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

If it's a Cimmaron made by Pedersoli the problem you are having with feeding can be fixed rather easily. As Larsen says cartridge overall length is critical with a Lightning. The problem you're having is the cartridge stop lever is not coming up far enough to stop the next cartridge. Roger Rapid puts out an excellent how to manual on the Pedersoli Lightning rifle and I would encourage you to PM him and request a copy, you'll be glad that you did. Welcome to the game.

My Lightning is stamped Uberti and Stoeger.

31 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

I wish I could find more about "Age-based" classes, seeming to imply that few restrictions apply.

Age based categories are open to any legal SASS firearms (fixed or adjustable sights), smokeless or BP ammo are both acceptable. You would qualify for any age category up to and including the oldest category you fall into. You may shoot any category younger down to Cowboy. (17 & up). You may not shoot in a category with minimum age limits starting older than you are. The only other restriction I can think of is you must shoot duelist if you are in an age based duelist category, ie. Sr. Duelist( must be at least 60). Other than that you may shoot duelist or two handed in all age based categories.

At 73 you can shoot any age based category from Elder Statesman (70 to 74) down to Cowboy (17 & up) including Wrangler, 49 er, Senior and  Silver Senior.

I hope this helps.

3 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

In that case it is not a Cimarron.  Theirs were made by Pedersoli.  

I recalled incorrectly how I came by this rifle. I looked up the paperwork and it clearly said "Uberti". My local Cimarron dealer is where I got one of my Lightning revolvers, maybe both.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 6:08 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

That's because it is chambered and designed for .357.  The Uberti Lightning has a mechanical magazine cutoff that is set for cartridges around 1.520" in length.  Anything shorter and the gun won't cyclce correctly.  A lot of .38 Specials are shorter than this.  Yes, everyone knows a lot of .357s, such as the Winchester 66 and 73, will cycle .38s.  But, the Uberti Lightning isn't one of them.  Keep your ammo OAL up over 1.550 and you will eliminate a lot of feeding problems.

A COL of 1.550 is max for 38 and exactly matches my caliper measurement from the back face of the cylinder to the barrel on one of my Stallions. Thus, if I understood you, I will need other ways of getting 38s to cycle while sharing ammo with my revolvers. For now, it's going to be 44 though.

My recommendation to new shooters is to use a single shot shotgun if they have one.  The pistols and rifle are a major investment.  Shooting pistols and keeping a rifle running well are major challenges.  Once these are done, a shooter can make the sxs, 87 or 97 leap.

Welcome to the dance .

1. Keep you and everyone around you safe

( dont brake the 170 rule )

( dont walk away from the loading table with loaded pistols in your holsters )

( Keep shotgun open )

( Keep rifle lever closed with hammer down )

( After loading pistols , spin cylinder to check for high primers )

( Put hammer down on empty chamber )

2. Watch everything 

( You will learn much fast )

3. Dont try to be fast out of the gate 

( Slow and steady  is fast with out Mistakes )

4. Bring a snack and some water .

5 Have Fun !

God bless

Rooster .

16 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

Age based categories are open to any legal SASS firearms (fixed or adjustable sights), smokeless or BP ammo are both acceptable. You would qualify for any age category up to and including the oldest category you fall into. You may shoot any category younger down to Cowboy. (17 & up). You may not shoot in a category with minimum age limits starting older than you are. The only other restriction I can think of is you must shoot duelist if you are in an age based duelist category, ie. Sr. Duelist( must be at least 60). Other than that you may shoot duelist or two handed in all age based categories.

At 73 you can shoot any age based category from Elder Statesman  (70 to 74) down to Cowboy (17 & up) including Wrangler, 49 er, Senior and  Silver Senior.

I hope this helps.

I didn't see any mention in the rules about a 74 year old limit. That would leave me one year to shoot and a better reason not to buy any new guns. Sounds like I will make a good spectator in costume, maybe visit for a few hours.

20 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

I didn't see any mention in the rules about a 74 year old limit. That would leave me one year to shoot and a better reason not to buy any new guns. Sounds like I will make a good spectator in costume, maybe visit for a few hours.

There is no upper limit in Elder Statesman (or in any of the adult categories for that matter).  There are some additional age based categories that are not in the Handbook because they are not "official" but may be offered at the discretion of the match director.  They are, I believe,  "Cattle Baron" for age 75 and up, and "Grand Patron" for age 80 and up.

Again, the adult age-based categories have a minimum age (except for Cowboy which is open to shooters of any age) but no "upper limit".  This means that you can shoot in any younger category as well as the oldest category for which you are eligible.

I am 55 years old so I cannot shoot in the Senior category, having not passed the 60 year mark that is the minimum age for Senior.  I do meet the requirements to shoot 49'er (being at least 49 years old), but I could also opt to shoot in the "younger" adult categories of Wrangler or Cowboy.

We have lots of "seasoned" shooters in the sport.  We make accommodations for shooters who have mobility issues or disabilities.  We have shooters in their 70s who are wicked fast, too. 

35 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

But - but - you can shoot almost any other age category except Junior & down. You don't HAVE to shoot in your age bracket. And there are are no age restrictions at all on Duelist, Gunfighter, Frontier Cartridge, Frontiersman, B-Western, Classic Cowboy, etc. There's a guy in Tenn. named Blue Boy who is still shooting at 100 ! There is absolutely no AGE related restriction that would prevent you from shooting in 90% of the available categories.

1 minute ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

There is no upper limit in Elder Statesman (or in any of the adult categories for that matter).  There are some additional age based categories that are not in the Handbook because they are not "official" but may be offered at the discretion of the match director.  They are, I believe,  "Cattle Baron" for age 75 and up, and "Grand Patron" for age 80 and up.

Again, the adult age-based categories have a minimum age (except for Cowboy which is open to shooters of any age) but no "upper limit".  This means that you can shoot in any younger category as well as the oldest category for which you are eligible.

I am 55 years old so I cannot shoot in the Senior category, having not passed the 60 year mark that is the minimum age for Senior.  I do meet the requirements to shoot 49'er (being at least 49 years old), but I could also opt to shoot in the "younger" adult categories of Wrangler or Cowboy.

We have lots of "seasoned" shooters in the sport.  We make accommodations for shooters who have mobility issues or disabilities.  We have shooters in their 70s who are wicked fast, too. 

I have been confused by the references to Cowboy that apparently are not referring to "Classic Cowboy". Back to the rules fro another read. Reviewing them on my computer download is not as easy as having a paper copy, but it's too much ink to print.

My advice is to grab the rifle you're most comfortable with, pick up the two pistols you like the most, as well as the shotgun, and go to a match. They'll put you in the category you match, or just let you shoot whatever you want. Just get there before it's too late. You won't regret coming with the wrong gear, but you will regret not coming.

Archived