SASS Wire Forum

Wildlife

Would y'all mind if I bored you with some of the Arizona wildlife photos I have taken from our house or back yard?

Coyote

aR1lOZ.jpg

X0w5xO.jpg

Gambel's Quail

vSjkIx.jpg

Bobcat

nyStzb.jpg

Javelina

gsrQDC.jpg

9zl3Xo.jpg

St71E1.jpg

Arizona does have it's wildlife.  Folks, there are a lot of groceries out in that desert.

Thanks for looking.

Birdgun

1 minute ago, Kulshan 20262 said:

I looked, but I didn't see.  Must have been a whiteout!

Kulshan, I don't know what the problem is.  Photos are coming through for me.

Anyone else not seeing the photos?

I seen em....just hadta be patient....took about 3 minutes ta load.....

and I think I figgered out whut tha coyote and bobcat was.....:P

I noticed there was a wall for coyotes, then pictures of native life. But no Mexican quail. Hmmm! Is there a hidden message. Lol

Nice photos Birdgun. It's funny, I have seen wildcats, coyotes, jack rabbits, big horn sheep, armadillos, rattle snakes, owls, hawks, eagles, tarantulas, all kinds of desert wildlife but I have never seen a wild javelina. I have seen them in zoos but never in the wild. I have also seen stuffed Jackalope at truck stops but never have I seen any of those in the wild either. :D

39 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Nice photos Birdgun. It's funny, I have seen wildcats, coyotes, jack rabbits, big horn sheep, armadillos, rattle snakes, owls, hawks, eagles, tarantulas, all kinds of desert wildlife but I have never seen a wild javelina. I have seen them in zoos but never in the wild. I have also seen stuffed Jackalope at truck stops but never have I seen any of those in the wild either. :D

Pat, we have the Javelina showing up regularly.  These "pigs" are so prevalent that we tend to ignore them when they do show up.  They walk boldly through our neighborhood, eating delectable plants right on our front porch.  In fact, I took those pics this morning from the top of my back fence and was less than 15 feet from them.  They absolutely pay us no mind.  Fortunately for me, there is a drainage ditch and fence between us. 

Oh yeah, they stink!!  :huh:

1 hour ago, Calico Mary said:

I seen em....just hadta be patient....took about 3 minutes ta load.....

and I think I figgered out whut tha coyote and bobcat was.....:P

Oh, please don't keep us in suspense.  What are they? :blush:^_^

On a serious note. Nice photos Birdgun, my question is can you hunt and eat Javelina. 

4 minutes ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

On a serious note. Nice photos Birdgun, my question is can you hunt and eat Javelina. 

Yes you can hunt Javelina.  From what I understand javelina are closer to the goat than the pig.  And, I understand they are not that tasty...unless you use lots of hot sauce.:unsure:

Nice photos, BGQ. My daughter lives in Sedona and her son carved a pumpkin into a jack o lantern last fall and set it out on the front porch and during the night a few javelina came by and ate most if it. I shot one once and tried to eat it and swore that I'd never shoot another. I tried everything I could to make it edible with no success.

2 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Yes you can hunt Javelina.  From what I understand javelina are closer to the goat than the pig.  And, I understand they are not that tasty...unless you use lots of hot sauce.:unsure:

I love to eat goat and wild hog. I also eat hot sauce on everything. ( maybe my taste buds are burned out)  I have family in Phoenix so when I retire for good I might make my way out there in my RV. I think javelina would be an interesting hunt. Thanks for sharing.

3 hours ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

I love to eat goat and wild hog. I also eat hot sauce on everything. ( maybe my taste buds are burned out)  I have family in Phoenix so when I retire for good I might make my way out there in my RV. I think javelina would be an interesting hunt. Thanks for sharing.

If you come to my house, you can bag one with a well placed throw of a carpenter's hammer.

Birdgun Quail,

The images load fairly slow.

So I looked in to the one with two pigs just to see what it's size is.

Here is what I see...

Size of image is noted as 25.6" by 19.2" at 180 DPI.

This produces an image of 8.5 MB.

Because the file is displayed in the forum that resizes images to fit, we would see the same size image if it was resized before uploading to a size of ..

7" by 5.25" by 100 DPI.

This image is about 208 KB.

Quick math show that one of your images is the same size as 41 reduced images with out loss of display image size in the forum.

If you want to see the actual size of your image on this forum, Right click on an image and click view image.

Then click on the image again to see the full size version.

You can see individual hairs on the pigs.

Your images are nice.

But they use a lot of space and take longer to load by 41 times.

On a fast net connection not a big issue.

On a slow connection and most wireless devises, it may take a while to load.

CH

I have killed a few javelina.  They are nicknamed "Stink Pigs" for a reason. They have a skunk like gland on the top of their rump. The only one I have eaten that was bearable was coated with peanut butter, wrapped in foil and buried in a pit lined with hot rocks for several hours.

Edible? Yes.

Tasty? No.

I'd rather eat the bobcat.  They's good.

Javelina and feral hogs are called pigs, but are not closely related. A small female Javelina can be pretty good eating, especially if spit roasted. I cover then with ham skins to keep the meat moist. Feral hogs are much better eating.

For us former city dwellers, living in the country gives us lots of opportunity to see wildlife we did not have before. I see tons of deer, a few elk and a few foxes in my yard. I have lots of ducks & geese on my pond too. Sure better to hear them than traffic noise.:lol:

Real nice Pix BGQ and nice assortment of critters in your back yard. We get to see Moose, Deer & Bobcats, an occasional Hare & Partridge. Oh, and of course a bunch of Turkeys. Thanks for sharing

8 hours ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

Birdgun Quail,

The images load fairly slow.

So I looked in to the one with two pigs just to see what it's size is.

Here is what I see...

Size of image is noted as 25.6" by 19.2" at 180 DPI.

This produces an image of 8.5 MB.

Because the file is displayed in the forum that resizes images to fit, we would see the same size image if it was resized before uploading to a size of ..

7" by 5.25" by 100 DPI.

This image is about 208 KB.

Quick math show that one of your images is the same size as 41 reduced images with out loss of display image size in the forum.

If you want to see the actual size of your image on this forum, Right click on an image and click view image.

Then click on the image again to see the full size version.

You can see individual hairs on the pigs.

Your images are nice.

But they use a lot of space and take longer to load by 41 times.

On a fast net connection not a big issue.

On a slow connection and most wireless devises, it may take a while to load.

CH

Thanks Cliff.   When I downloaded these wildlife photos to Image Shack, I forgot to reduce the size.  I have now done that. 

When some one posted that the images where loading slowly, I check to see the size which almost always the cause of slow loading.

Computers load faster but hand held devises are slower because they are using cell towers or wifi. (middle man takes his cut in the speed)

Nice photos.

I have a model submarine forums.

I take lots of photos during building.

For faster display, I crop to what I want to show and then I resize to 7" x 5.25" at 100 DPI.

This is a standard camera size photo and displays 100% on the forum page.

Faster uploads and faster display on forum pages with no loss of detail.

Just can't enlarge more than displayed.

regards,
Ralph aka Cliff Hanger

On 4/4/2017 at 4:25 PM, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Would y'all mind if I bored you with some of the Arizona wildlife photos I have taken from our house or back yard?

Coyote

aR1lOZ.jpg

X0w5xO.jpg

Gambel's Quail

vSjkIx.jpg

Bobcat

nyStzb.jpg

Javelina

gsrQDC.jpg

9zl3Xo.jpg

St71E1.jpg

Arizona does have it's wildlife.  Folks, there are a lot of groceries out in that desert.

Thanks for looking.

Birdgun

Seen all of those and more.  Ain't Arizona grand?

My dog has a road runner friend that comes by every day or so and teases her through the fence in the front of our house.  She barks her tiny little brains out and wags her tail so hard she nearly falls dow.  After a few minutes the road runner takes off down the street until the next time.

11 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

My dog has a road runner friend that comes by every day or so and teases her through the fence in the front of our house.  She barks her tiny little brains out and wags her tail so hard she nearly falls dow.  After a few minutes the road runner takes off down the street until the next time.

We have a big raven that been coming around lately and it drives my dog nuts.  Like a Yorkie is going to harm an Arizona raven.  That sucker is twice the size of any crow.  The first time my wife saw an Arizona raven, she thought it was a black eagle.   I hope to get a good picture of it soon. 

On 4/5/2017 at 2:12 AM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Do you also have wild hogs?  Do they coexist with the Javelina? Or are they rivals for territory?

Wild hog are pigs, javelina are not. Javelina are peccaries a close relative to pigs. They like similar environments. They definitely compete for territory and resources. Wild hogs have a large advantage due to their size, speed of reproduction, litter size, as well as general bad temperament. They do not coexist with anything except other hogs.

Hogs taste much better. Hunt the crap out of them.

All I have in my neighborhood is elk!  They have been here in the homes since fall, I do believe someone is chunking alfalfa at them.  I'll attach picts soon.....Great picts by the way.

Archived