SASS Wire Forum

The Lad is plumb ticked off... New update: See Post #37

So Sassparilla Kid goes into the local Sportsman's Warehouse [Fresno] intent on buying a new pistol.

Decides on a basic Springfield 1911, makes a substantial payment on it with the intent of paying the balance with his next paycheck - which would start the mandatory 10-day "cooling off period."

Just received a text message from him:

"*Bleep!* Just got a call from Sportsman's Warehouse. My 1911 is no longer California [my spelling, not his] compliant, so they have to ship it back to Springfield HQ and wait for more." :angry: [a shipment of "compliant" models, I assume]

Needless to say, the lad is a mite miffed. <_<

Golly gee... has there been some sort of major engineering breakthrough in the 1911 design...?

Just a guess but there could be something like the difference between a Series 70 and 80.

Or maybe a modification for a magazine disconnect device.

Or maybe a loaded indicator device.

Like I mentioned, I really don't know but these type things are a guess.

In California, they may have outlawed triggers and hammers on pistols. Or maybe restricted to a 2 round mag..... :o

..........Widder

My guess is that the particular "model" had expired.

California requires the manufacturer to pay a fee and submit multiple copies of each model for drop testing... and that even applies to extremely minor model differences. Not sure if it's true or not, but I've heard that different finishes constitute model changes.

And then, the darned "acceptable" label expires after five years, requiring the manufacturer to do the whole thing again. emo48.gif

My guess is that the particular "model" had expired.

California requires the manufacturer to pay a fee and submit multiple copies of each model for drop testing... and that even applies to extremely minor model differences. Not sure if it's true or not, but I've heard that different finishes constitute model changes.

And then, the darned "acceptable" label expires after five years, requiring the manufacturer to do the whole thing again. emo48.gif

I hear you, HP; we suffer from the same disease. MA treats every variation as a different gun; makes buying guns an exercise in serial number analysis. And of course, high end manufacturers (like Kimber and Dan Wesson) will not go to the expense of submitting their guns for destructive testing at all.

For your entertainment (and for the scorn of those who live in free states), here's a link to our current list of "Approved Firearms"; if it ain't on the list, it can't be sold in MA (except if you can find a "grandfathered" gun, that had been sold and owned by a MA resident before this law went into effect - 10.21.1998) http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/approvedfirearmsroster10-2016.pdf

Please note that there is not a single Colt, Springfield Armory, Dan Wesson, CZ, Uberti, Kel-Tec, Browning Hi Power, Hi Point, Les Baer, Kimber, Freedom Arms, Casull, Wilson Custom or Taurus handgun on the list. Some popular Beretta models are also missing, as are a number of Ruger models (like all of the Talo birdshead models).

LL

A change of color does make it a different model. Blue to black to green and you have three different models. So does a difference in barrel length. Go from three to four and it's a different model. Figure that a different SKU is a different model.

ok, we need a new Constitutional amendment....one that says something to the effect that no elected official at any level of government is allowed to vote on any gun laws unless they actually KNOW something about guns..... :wacko::wacko::wacko:

ok, we need a new Constitutional amendment....one that says something to the effect that no elected official at any level of government is allowed to vote on any gun laws unless they actually KNOW something about guns..... :wacko::wacko::wacko:

:lol::lol::lol::P:D

That makes for a very very short list...Here in this state "0"....

TL

I keep on telling you pore beknighted guys to come to Arizona. I bought two guns, one modern and one antique, and didn't take over fifteen minutes on either one... including the lying and bragging that goes along with many a gun sale.

No we need a national Constitutional amendment that states that national law trumps state / local law when it comes to firearms.

Texas has such a law and it keeps Berkeley on the Brazos from enacting most of its stupid laws.

I keep on telling you pore beknighted guys to come to Arizona. I bought two guns, one modern and one antique, and didn't take over fifteen minutes on either one... including the lying and bragging that goes along with many a gun sale.

You left this fine state and did not throw a rope to me to drag me out...Nice friend you are...But glad things are looking better for you....

TL

Well, the Kid went in to the store to talk to someone face-to-face. He was told that the gun was actually recalled, and had to be returned to Springfield.

They gave him the option of a refund or leaving his "deposit" (half the price of the gun) on file toward a replacement when they received a shipment - not expected 'til after the first of the year.

Ironically, there were NO 1911's of any make left in stock.

So, I called Bass Pro in Manteca to see if they had any in stock. No... only Kimbers; the nice young lady told me that there's been a major run on handguns just before the election. I asked if they were truly sold out, or if there had been a recall - she told me that they HAD sold every one they'd had, and that they had heard of no Springfield 1911 recalls.

Hm. So what's a Kid to think... emo28.gifemo18.gif

Well, the Kid went in to the store to talk to someone face-to-face. He was told that the gun was actually recalled, and had to be returned to Springfield.

They gave him the option of a refund or leaving his "deposit" (half the price of the gun) on file toward a replacement when they received a shipment - not expected 'til after the first of the year.

Ironically, there were NO 1911's of any make left in stock.

So, I called Bass Pro in Manteca to see if they had any in stock. No... only Kimbers; the nice young lady told me that there's been a major run on handguns just before the election. I asked if they were truly sold out, or if there had been a recall - she told me that they HAD sold every one they'd had, and that they had heard of no Springfield 1911 recalls.

Hm. So what's a Kid to think... emo28.gifemo18.gif

There's a house down the road that's up for sale. :rolleyes:

Alabama ain't got an 'approved gun' list nor a waiting period (anymore- used to be a 48 hour wait on all handgun purchases), the wait time on carry permits is around a week and they are $20 a year in this county with the option of getting one good for up to 5 years.

Only recall for Springfield pistols is for the 3.3 XD-S and it was issued in 2014.

This information applies only to XD-S™ pistols in the serial number ranges below

Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm pistols - serial numbers between XS900000 and XS938700
Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ .45ACP pistols - serial numbers between XS500000 and XS686300

As a reminder, do not use your 3.3 XD-S™ until the upgrade has been performed.

I suspect there was some sort of snafu - unintentional or intentional - and they sold the thing to someone else.

First thing Monday will be a call to Springfield Armory. If they state there was no recall, it'll be time to pay a visit to the store manager... and hope for something better than "Here's your money back, Kid." <_<

Now do you honestly expect anyone to believe that?

I would almost say I should run for office! Almost...

Now do you honestly expect anyone to believe that?

Uncle Forty is absolutely correct. Here in Az. it's a matter of filling out the 4473, show your CCW permit, and you're done! Add holster and ammo as needed, and you are walking out the door with gun on hip, concealed or not, as desired.

The lying and bragging take longer than the transaction itself.

At this point, as dreadful as the "approved list" fiasco is, it doesn't seem to be the case.

Rather, it appears that the Kid is having his chain yanked. First told the pistol had to be sent back to Springfield because it wasn't on the "approved list" (it is - I checked). Then told it had been recalled - there was no recall that we can find any evidence of.

Starting to look more and more like a customer service issue. <_<

Uncle Forty is absolutely correct. Here in Az. it's a matter of filling out the 4473, show your CCW permit, and you're done! Add holster and ammo as needed, and you are walking out the door with gun on hip, concealed or not, as desired.

Why do you have to show your permit??

Forty Rod SASS 3935, on 18 Nov 2016 - 4:54 PM, said:Forty Rod SASS 3935, on 18 Nov 2016 - 4:54 PM, said:

Well, yes and no. Several years ago a friend and I were on a 5 week swing shooting in Nevada and Arizona. While killing some time between shoots we went to several LGS in Tucson. When I travel I always take a copy (or 2) of my FFL incase I see something I just can't live without. In one store I did find a Colt Frontier Scout that matches the one I bought when I was 12 back in the dark ages. In another store I saw a very nice Springfield 1911 (used) in the display case. Price was right and I told the owner I wanted to buy it. He told me we can do the paperwork and he'd ship it to me in (I forget now) 10 days or 2 weeks because it's a used gun and has to be checked to make sure it hasn't been reported stolen. If there was a concern about this, why didn't he call the local LEO's to check on the status before taking it in?

Whatever happened to that California law that was going to require the firing pin to have micro script engraved on it that imprints the cartridge primer?

All new listing coming on DOJ list are suppose to have that set up...More companies are choosing not to do it, so they are dropping off the list...Come first of year there will less new items to choose from...Our list of new semi autos will be very few and I think over time none....Anything registered in the state is still able to do PPT....But nothing new coming in...That is some what is going...No onek for sure how it will play out...

TL

Utah Bob #35998, on 19 Nov 2016 - 6:12 PM, said:

Why do you have to show your permit??

In Montana if you have a concealed permit there is NO NCIS check necessary. You've already gone through a more "vigorous" background check than the standard NCIS one is. The NCIS number and expiration date issued with the permit is then entered on the 4473 and in the A&D book.

All new listing coming on DOJ list are suppose to have that set up...More companies are choosing not to do it, so they are dropping off the list...Come first of year there will less new items to choose from...Our list of new semi autos will be very few and I think over time none....Anything registered in the state is still able to do PPT....But nothing new coming in...That is some what is going...No onek for sure how it will play out...

TL

I'm hoping that is one of the things NRA and FPC are going to go to court over.

It was the lying and the bragging I was referring to! ;) Nobody can be expected to believe a self-respecting firearms enthusiast to limit their lying and bragging that much. Next thing you'll tell me is fishermen don't exaggerate.

It is the same here in Ohio. At Gander Mountain (where I work) the 4473 is done on computer, then submitting it if there is no CCW, or printing it if there is one. The only additional thing where I work is taking it our of our inventory electronically. And, of course, payment. All in all, a quick process. Of course, on days like the past couple, NICS has been down off and on, and our computers have been down much of the day as well, so out comes the paper form.

So Doc...

As one knowledgeable of the workings of larger dealers, would you speculate on the Kid's issue with our local chain store...? :huh: [Refer to Post #19]

Archived