SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range

Snakebite

I was very pleased to see that the targets at WR this year were set at a reasonable distance. I hope the WR example incourages others to move targets back to the SASS recommended distances. This was a beautifully designed and layed out match.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a great match the best I've been to I think. Targets were hitable. A lot of movement and a couple of odd sweeps but very shootable. The Rangers did a great job setting it up and keeping it running, very nice props and stages.

Another great shoot from the Rough Riders!!!

What a wonderful way to spend a few spring days here in the Old West.

If you haven't done WR before, now would be a fine time to start planning to do it in 2017.

Thanks for the happy trails, guys.

Squeaky & I are just so tickled that Cody & SK took it all home! We are fortunate to be able to shoot with them and their Dad here in the Verde Valley of AZ on a routine basis. We're very proud to have the Kirkham family amongst our circle of shooting friends. As a family, they're great people. As shooters, they're unparalleled!! Great Job,both of you!!! Congrats to Mom & Dad too!

Congratulations to the 2 Top Shooters and all of the Category Winners! Well done!

Top Cowboy: Cody James

Top Cowgirl: SASS Kicker

Buckarette: Lily Bleu

Buckaroo: Texas Twister

B-Western: Texas Slim

Lady B-Western: Panhandle Cowgirl

Cattle Baron: Rowdy Otis

Cattle Baroness: Ramblin' Rose

Classic Cowboy: Slick McClade

Classic Cowgirl: Serenity

Cowboy: Single Barrel

Cowgirl: SASS Kicker

Duelist: Pecos Nick

Lady Duelist: Dixie Bell

Elder Statesman: Blue Ridge Ranger

Grande Dame: Two Sons

49er: Oklahoma Dee

L49er: Texas Tiger

Frontier Cartridge: Snakebite

Lady Frontier Cartridge: Bent Barrel Betty

Frontier Cartridge Duelist: Four Bucks

Lady Frontier Cartridge Duelist: Cow Catcher

Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter: Boaz

Lady Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter: Half-A-Hand-Henri

Frontiersman: Brisco Kid

Grand Patron: Bloody Bill Anderson

Gunfighter: Whisperin' Wade

Lady Gunfighter: Lilly Long

Young Gun Boys (Junior): Cody James

Young Gun Girls (Junior): Bonnie MacFarlane

Senior: Fast Eddie

Lady Senior: Belinda Belle

Silver Senior: Ole Short Tom

Lady Silver Senior: Second Fiddle Sue

Senior Duelist: JM Brown

Senior Gunfighter: Lassiter

Lady Wrangler: Echo Meadows

Wrangler: Cowboy Carty

Only 40 clean shooters

Only 40 clean shooters

I wonder how many competitors at WR have much of a chance to shoot during the previous months leading up to WR.

Just wondering.

A hearty Congratulations to all the Category winners.

..........Widder

May be a good idea to shoot rifle targets with your pistols before next year

Hittable,,, 10 and 11 yds for a couple stages

I Didn't see any pistol targets even close to that distance. Many clubs have moved Targets in so close, that any target set even remotely close to the recommended distance seems like long range.

I Didn't see any pistol targets even close to that distance. Many clubs have moved Targets in so close, that any target set even remotely close to the recommended distance seems like long range.

Me and several other well known shooters paced several stages off that did indead have pistol targets at 10 yards. That is not on opinion, or even an educated guess.

My observation was that there were many frustrated shooters as a result of target distance. Was everything hittable....Yes....was it as fun as it could be, in my opinion, nope!

WK

I walked off stages 11 and 12.. I did not guess

Oh really? People who regularly set up stages most certainly can judge target distances compared to the SASS recommended 7 yard minimum. Not to mention when steeping off the targets out of curiousity your suspicions are verified.

Don't get me wrong- I am not complaining. I had a fantastic time at my first WR, was proud of my finish, and acknowledge a wagon train load of crazy hard work. A huge thanks. But 40 clean shooters out of approximately 830 is way thin by generally accepted standards.

And by the way- your second sentence is insultingly ludicrous.

A good evening to all.

The match was incredible. I've been to 14 Winter Ranges and this was the most challenging of them all. The targets were of generous size and yes, some were sitting in the dirt, some were over my head and the rest were spread out in between but they were certainly all within SASS recommendations for distance. Farther than many are used to but after all, it is the National Championship - maybe it should be a little tougher.

The distance was not always easy to discern (unless you had paced it off ahead) so a few of us got skunked the first stage or two and then starting paying attention to our front sights. There were lots of options for how to stage the guns ("anywhere safely" was common) and also options to move left to right or right to left. Every stage was Gunfighter Friendly. There were options on which targets of an array to use, options to shoot from different positions, you could practically write your own stage! It may have been too many choices for newer shooters or those from clubs where every move is always scripted and defined, but again, this is the National Championships. I like the idea you could use those options to minimize a weakness or take maximum advantage of your strengths. It was interesting to see how different shooting styles would pick different ways to run the stages. It also gave BP shooters an option to get away from the smoke and move to a different target if the breeze wasn't with you at that moment.

As always, the WR crew knocked themselves out - beautiful stages and props, keeping the water coming as it was hotter than is typical, fireworks, nice prizes, answering questions, solving problems, fixing things, taking care of everything and everybody all week long.

The match was incredible.

The match was incredible. I've been to 14 Winter Ranges and this was the most challenging of them all. The targets were of generous size and yes, some were sitting in the dirt, some were over my head and the rest were spread out in between but they were certainly all within SASS recommendations for distance. Farther than many are used to but after all, it is the National Championship - maybe it should be a little tougher.

The distance was not always easy to discern (unless you had paced it off ahead) so a few of us got skunked the first stage or two and then starting paying attention to our front sights. There were lots of options for how to stage the guns ("anywhere safely" was common) and also options to move left to right or right to left. Every stage was Gunfighter Friendly. There were options on which targets of an array to use, options to shoot from different positions, you could practically write your own stage! It may have been too many choices for newer shooters or those from clubs where every move is always scripted and defined, but again, this is the National Championships. I like the idea you could use those options to minimize a weakness or take maximum advantage of your strengths. It was interesting to see how different shooting styles would pick different ways to run the stages. It also gave BP shooters an option to get away from the smoke and move to a different target if the breeze wasn't with you at that moment.

As always, the WR crew knocked themselves out - beautiful stages and props, keeping the water coming as it was hotter than is typical, fireworks, nice prizes, answering questions, solving problems, fixing things, taking care of everything and everybody all week long.

The match was incredible.

Can not agree more. There were fewer clean matches, however even an old fart could hit every shot. BJZ does an excellent job of varying target heights, distances, and sizes to cause the shooter to vary their speed within a sequence many times within a stage to ensure a hit on every target. WR is a thinking match. You must determine how you will shoot each target and each sequence. This does not require a lot of time, you can do it even as the first shooter on every stage of the match. This was my 15th WR. It was the best ever. I would like to personally thank all those that worked so hard to pull off this wonderful match.

TwoSpurs, my apology for offending you.I assure you it was not my intention. Target placement has long been a controversial topic. I thought the targets were a good mix, accomdating both the high speed operator game and the slower more deliberat shooter's game.

My observation was that there were many frustrated shooters as a result of target distance. Was everything hittable....Yes....was it as fun as it could be, in my opinion, nope!

WK

+1 on Snakebite's comments. This was one of the best matches I have ever been to and yes, sights were required :-).

There were some stages that were SASS minimums and a few that were a bit closer. The entire match was shootable and while I didn't shoot well, it wasn't because of target placement or scenarios.

Whiskey Kid, I did not hear a single comment during or after the match that the targets were too far away. My posse had the whole gamete from newer shooters to very experienced shooters. Could the match been more fun, as far as I could see, everyone was having a blast. If it wasn't fun, you weren't shooting.

The whole Winter Range crew deserves a big thank you for their effort in making the Silver Jubilee a memorable occasion.

Archived