SASS Wire Forum

FBI's Latest on Caliber of Choice

DocWard

http://p2t2solutions.com/fbi-finally-decides-on-standard-service-rounds-for-its-use/

Let the discussion begin...

Edit: The original source appears to be down due to a server problem. Chief Rick was good enough to track alternate sources down and post them, so I thought I would go ahead and post them here in the OP.

http://looserounds.c...ining-division/

http://www.policeone...ol-caliber-war/

http://www.grandview...h.gI8p3jzC.dpbs

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>The majority of FBI shooters are both FASTER in shot strings fired and more ACCURATE with shooting a 9mm Luger vs shooting a .40 S&W (similar sized weapons)<

Based on that criteria, let's arm 'em with a 22 short. Betcha they'll be both faster and more accurate with that then they would with a 9mm.

I use to be a BIG supporter of the .45 ACP for carry. AND, I still think its boss, except for a couple nice 10mm on the market.

PLUS, I always found the .45 to be VERY accurate, atleast in the 1911's I was shooting.

But bullet design and materials for all our calibers have been greatly enhanced and the 9mm (in my opinion) has gained some ground in efficiency.

And it also seems the accuracy of some 9's have gotten better, atleast those few I've shot lately.

ANYHOW, I now carry a 13 round (flush fitting magazine) Springfield XD Mod 2 in 9mm that is soooo eeeeZZZ to carry and dead on accurate with its intended purposes......CQB. And it also comes with a 16/17 round extended mag that I really don't use. Its not only accurate, but it's weight and grip design seem to minimize any perceived recoil and has become a really good pistol to practice with and carry.

When I know the chips are down, I'll be cuddling my Mossberg 930 with it reflex sight system.

But for a good, accurate, controllable, multi-round carry pistol (that I have found 100% reliable so far), for now will be my Springfield XD Mod 2 in 9mm.

p.s. - I own NO stock or franchise in Springfield nor have ANY association with them or any of their employees, other than owning only 1 of their products.

..........Widder

I have pistols in 45acp, revolvers in 45 Colt and a J frame in 357 mag, and 2 9mm's. 90% of the time, I carry a S&W Shield in 9mm. Why? it's light, easy to carry and as accurate as any of my 45's. I figure if I can't stop the bad guy with 8 124 +P JHP's i'm in for a very bad day.

Truth be told, all things being equal between 357 mag, 45ACP, 40 S&W and 9mm, I'm going to choose the 12 gauge every time. Just a tad hard to conceal carry most of the scatter guns.

GS

I wouldn't want to get shot with any caliber. Good luck to the FBI, nothing wrong with a 9mm.

I have heard that some law enforcement agencies are going to the .357 Sig semi auto.

Interresting that wear from the 40 was decisive. My P.D. issued S&W 4026 I used in USPSA and have well over 10,000 rounds through all the original parts. Still going strong and very accurate. Very interresting.

I was issued a Beretta 92fs which I carried for years. Retired I carry a Glock 26. I practice pulling and shooting often and I spend the money for the best carry ammo. 9mm is fine for me. Ain't saying what u should carry, just saying what I got.

If the FBI recommends it I don't want it.

TV aside I could never understand why people think they are the experts at anything. If you think they are experts go back and look at the Miami shootings not much has changed the 9mm failed them there and will fail them again. These are the same fools that thought the full power 10mm was a good thing. If I wanted to see what real world police shootings entailed and what works and doesn't work I'd look at New York or LA, they average more police involved shootings in a year than the FBI has had in it's history.

Remember a 45 starts at where a 9mm most times fails to finish

One retired LEO on another site I'm on said" If you hit'em with a .45, they don't get back up and shoot at you" :blush:

My dad used to know an FBI agent, the agent said he switched to a .45 because he point blanked someone with a 9mm and they kept on coming.

Interresting that wear from the 40 was decisive. My P.D. issued S&W 4026.....

I had an instructor recommend a .40 because it is bigger than a 9mm and holds more bullets than a .45

Well, I am no expert and have zero experience in shoot outs with bad guys. My hat is off to all those that have, and do. :FlagAm:

I also have had zero experience with a 9 mm.

That said, I want all the advantage I can get if the SHTF. I tend to agree with what others have said, the promise was made,

the deal was signed and a kiss on the cheek and everybody went home happy, except the taxpayers.

What ever works best for the FBI Agent in the field is fine with me. I just believe that the two rules that should apply are:

1. Always bring enough gun.

2. Never bring a knife to a gun fight, if you can avoid it.

I do have to say that I have been impressed with my Springfield 1911. It is not a 9 mm. :)

Like BMC said... First rule of a gun fight is, to bring a gun.

After that, it's what you shoot best.

9MM and .45 will both kill. One kills a little faster.

Neither round is a true "one shot stop" round. I don't personally believe anything under about a .30 "rifle" round, or a shotgun, would stop anyone dead in their tracks.

So it's about shot placement... So carry what you shoot best.

A pistol is a weapon of convenience. It is not the best choice if you know there is going to be shooting.

Most of those FBI agents in the 1986 Miami shootout were carrying S&W revolvers and went up against determined bank robbers with rifles.

There were many factors in the Miami shoot debacle, not just the caliber of weapons.

Yes there were, lousy tactics and training were as big a factor as poor ammo choice. How stupid was it to lay your gun on the seat of your moving car? That works every time. So blind without your glasses you can't see well enough to shoot, and why were the Miami police not on he scene at the time of the takedown. But even with all that, one of the shooters took a lethal hit from a 9mm without slowing him down. Like most cops we studied the Miami shootout as a way not to do things.

I’ve always believed in carrying the largest caliber one can handle. That said, a bulky firearm is more likely to be left at home. So every individual person and situation may require a different tool. This just means I need more guns!

Practice, practice, practice.

Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement

+1000

Spine, plus or minus an inch or two each direction, pelvis, skull.

A bullet making contact with any large bone mass will usually drop the target.

And, there are more nerve endings in one square inch of the intestines than there are in the rest of the body. Pelvis is a good "stop" shot. Not always lethal though.

Truth be told, all things being equal between 357 mag, 45ACP, 40 S&W and 9mm, I'm going to choose the 12 gauge every time. Just a tad hard to conceal carry most of the scatter guns.

GS

That is why God invented Guitar Cases ;):lol: :lol: :lol:

+1,000,000 :)

PRACTICE? NEVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING!

I never practice......for SASS matches that is. ;)

No need to, when you are already great. -_-

T

That is my opinion also. ;)

Link doesn't work for me.

It was working fine. Now I'm getting a server maintenance message. I don't know if it will come back up or not.

Archived