SASS Wire Forum

Sawhorse Kid

Buckle out. only a "Rexall Wrangler" wears them buckle in. Reason is when riding a horse, the buckle could snag on saddle when mounting or dismounting. Or the buckles could catch on each other when walking. (allthough no self-respecting cowboy would ever walk any further than from the hitchin post out front to the bar in the saloon! )

Guest Grass Range #51406

There is a natural cavity on the inside of the foot where the buckle rides. If the buckle catches on anything learn how to use spurs

Having made 100% of my living with horses in one way of the other for

most of my adult life.

Spurs are a training aid. Not a punishment.

And those that say do not use them. Do not understand that point.

My spurs stay on my boots. Very seldom come off.

When I made a living riding horses. They never came off.

Riding 10-15 horses a day. What was the point to take them off.

Can walk and move with them on and not even think about it.

Oh. Buckles OUT.

PS

It can also be a area thing.

In Texas. It is always buckles out.

But in some parts of the country.

Even the working cowboys wore them in.

Anvil Al is correct, spurs are a training aid, not a punishment tool. Back in my mis-spent youth i spent countless hours training and showing horses. Wore spurs most every day. I used to go to the barn and work at least one horse most mornings before school. Arrived at school more than once with my spurs still on, to the amusement of my classmates. Nowadays I would probably be expelled for bringing a weapon on campus....! My mother used to fuss at me if I wore them home because they scuffed the dining room chairs (as seen in the movie True Grit, the boarding house proprietress makes LeBeouf take his spurs off at the table) I prefferred long shanked spurs with small rowels, about nickle sized, with many small teeth. gently nudged a horse with them. I doubt I ever actually marked a horse with my spurs. The Appaloosa horse show rules did not allow spurring forward of the cinch.

I did, on occasion, loosen the straps to the "sidewalk notch" so the rowels would drag when walking, making a very distinctive sound. Usually done to impress a girl. (or at least I thought I was impresing them)

Rodeo cowboys do much more agressive spurring. Most bull riders use star shapped rowels that are locked with wire so they wont turn, so the cowboy can dig in with his spurs to help hold on.

I dont wear spurs when shootng because i'm afraid I would likely trip on them. But I may get a pair to wear to banquets and such.

Was at a cutting horse show when they came and got me. Said my wife's water

had broke. We had taken a extra truck just in case I had to leave in a hurry. So I jumped

off and handed the reins to the horse owner. Jumped in the truck and headed to the hospital.

Came running in. Nurses said. You must be Allen. Your wife said we would know who you was

because you would still have your spurs on. :huh:

Was at a cutting horse show when they came and got me. Said my wife's water

had broke. We had taken a extra truck just in case I had to leave in a hurry. So I jumped

off and handed the reins to the horse owner. Jumped in the truck and headed to the hospital.

Came running in. Nurses said. You must be Allen. Your wife said we would know who you was

because you would still have your spurs on. :huh:

That's hilarious and a really great story!

This subject comes up ever few years and it seems the conscience is outside with a few on the inside. I would think it would have more to do with the spur strap style. For instance, I was told the idea of the pork chop style strap is to protect the outside of the boot from a days wear caused be the stirrups rubbing on them. But, I've also seen pork chop style straps with the buckles on the wide part, too.

SASS shooters don't ride horses, so we won't snag the buckle on the saddle, so who gives a crap! wear them the way you like them. Signed Rexall Wrangler

Dear Rexall, I'm with you! :D I've been on a horse exactly twice in my life... I work in a high-rise building in the city. I love to wear my spurs because as a kid I wanted them but couldn't have them and now I can.... of course my wife laughs every time she sees me, but that's another story. :huh:

Signed Rexall Wrangler II

(actually that would be a great alias!)

SASS shooters don't ride horses, so we won't snag the buckle on the saddle, so who gives a crap! wear them the way you like them. Signed Rexall Wrangler

It's also a dead give away that you don't know how, and then really should not wear them at all.

If you are gong to wear them.

At least have them look like you know what you are doing.

Otherwise. What's the point of them wearing them.

It's also a dead give away that you don't know how, and then really should not wear them at all.

If you are gong to wear them.

At least have them look like you know what you are doing.

Otherwise. What's the point of them wearing them.

I just smile to myself and go on my way... Some folks refuse to be educated.

I just smile to myself and go on my way... Some folks refuse to be educated.

+1

They wear them because they want to LOOK like a cowboy.

Not sure why they would not want to wear them like that also.

I grew up wearing boots and spurs when riding; still wear them when riding. Both of my grandfathers rode regularly, one had a cattle ranch. Both taught me to wear the buckles on the inside, both had the same rationale: can't catch them on the brush (off trail, foothills and mountains), and they are easier to put on/take off. Never scratched the fenders or the horse. You wear 'em your way, I'll wear mine my grandpas' way. ;)

I love these spur threads! :D :D :D

I grew up wearing boots and spurs when riding; still wear them when riding. Both of my grandfathers rode regularly, one had a cattle ranch. Both taught me to wear the buckles on the inside, both had the same rationale: can't catch them on the brush (off trail, foothills and mountains), and they are easier to put on/take off. Never scratched the fenders or the horse. You wear 'em your way, I'll wear mine my grandpas' way. ;)

What about the insides of the stirrups? Seen those torn up from spur buckles? I certainly have. And, yes, you'll find examples of both methods of wear... but, picture me smilin' kindly... ;)

The style of spur strap and regional/individual preferences (as well as the terrain in which they are worn) are all over the board on this one...always have been and probably always will be.

Those who insist that their way is the ONLY way need to lighten up a bit.

That's like swearing that there's only ONE kind of saddle/bridle/bit that is "authentic"...depends on where you was raised.

^_^

Why use buckles when you don't have to a good leather maker can make adjustable spur strap that don't have buckles it uses a tab or just holes in the leather looks like a doves wing sorta.

Should we talk about how "authentic" chaps should be longer than your slight bent leg too?

They should go over the stirrup, to keep branches out of your spur straps...

Or out of the stirrup...

One of those.

I wear mine buckle out, cause it looks better to me. I haven't been on a horse since I was 9 years old! I'm hoping to ride again this summer, we'll see!

Spurs & spur straps are just cool!

Frenchy

Yep me too! Seems like one surfaces every few months! :lol:

Like I said in post #8 in the PS part.

It can be a area or regional thing.

Texas and parts around here. It is always out.

Go north and it's inside.

Growing up in Idaho, it was Montana Bend crowns, batwings, buckles out, and you only tucked your pants into your boots if you were trying to keep the pants clean. Pants out in town.

Unless they were really fancy boots.

I only wear my spurs to meet the requirements of Classic Cowboy and I wear them with the buckles out. But I have to admit they are kinda cool.

Here ya go, UB! Have some of my popcorn. Cold, adult beverages are in the #4 washtub and there's a comfy recliner that's empty right now. Sit with us and watch the goin's-on for a spell. :);):)

Gotta love the jingle. Spurs are cool.no matter how you wear them.

Archived