SASS Wire Forum

What, exactly constitutes "country music?"

DocWard

I'm not much of a country music buff. There are a few artists and songs I like enough to have in my collection, and I can usually listen to it if is on. I do have a couple of country stations in my presets in my car, because they are local and I can get better weather and breaking important news. As I was searching for something to listen to this evening, I hit one of them, and when I paused, I realized the song had a drum track, certainly not a real drummer, as well as synthesizers and a bit of distorted guitar. I don't recall the lyrics, but they were more about romance (OK, sex) than anything else.

So, here is my thought. I would submit that simply singing with a country twang does not render a song "country music."

My opinion is that the last new country artist was Randy Travis, about 25 years ago. His songs fell in with the classis country singers before him.

Shania, Taylor, Keith Urban and most of the newer 'country' singers are a mix of pop and country with a heavy amount of video appeal.

The trick to know for sure is to play the song backwards.

I think if it does not have a banjo, mandolin, steel or slide guitar, or a fiddle in it is not country music. Some of what they call country today is top 40 from the 70's.

I remember a story about the time the singing group Rascal Flatts met Merle Haggard...

Mr. Haggard asked them what kind of music they played, and they replied, "Country."

He said, "Not with those earrings you don't."

...so I guess Merle should know...

My opinion is that the last new country artist was Randy Travis, about 25 years ago. His songs fell in with the classis country singers before him.

Shania, Taylor, Keith Urban and most of the newer 'country' singers are a mix of pop and country with a heavy amount of video appeal.

I have Randy Travis on my iPod, along with Garth Brooks, Alison Krauss and Union Station and a few others. Of course I have all sorts of stuff on there, from classical such as Beethoven's Ninth and Copland's "Fanfare to the Common Man" to Heavy Metal to Ska, New Wave and Punk. My tastes are eclectic. This "new country" I unappealing, though.

I think if it does not have a banjo, mandolin, steel or slide guitar, or a fiddle in it is not country music. Some of what they call country today is top 40 from the 70's.

The song I heard was by a guy named Jason Aldean, not Jason Al Dean as I first understood them to say. I was not impressed. Interestingly, as I hit another preset, "Any Man of Mine" by Shania Twain was on. Fiddle, country harmonies and a clear connection to older country music could be heard. It occurred to me as I was listening to the "new" country song that some of the older blues based classic rock has a stronger and possibly more legitimate connection to country than this stuff.

The trick to know for sure is to play the song backwards.

Rock music has stuff about the devil. In country music you sober up, get out of prison and get your wife and job back. :lol::lol::lol:

A true country song has to reference at least three from the list below:

Mom

A dog that died

A pick-up truck

A cheating girlfriend or wife

Getting drunk

Horses

Fighting

Serving time in prison

Ladies with a questionable past

Trains

Feel free to jump in....

A true country song has to reference at least three from the list below:

Mom

A dog that died

A pick-up truck

A cheating girlfriend or wife

Getting drunk

Horses

Fighting

Serving time in prison

Ladies with a questionable past

Trains

Feel free to jump in....

I know David Allan Coe recorded it and made if famous, but I like the version by the co-writer Steve Goodman best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsa5IiNjIkQ

HAHAHAHAHA.

ENJOYED THE VIDEO, DOC.

I can't help but laugh when I see it. Even though he says he co-wrote it with John Prine, I've read that John Prine refused to take credit, indicating it was his song.

I went to the same school as him. He wouldn't know country if I walked up and spit tobacco juice all over his pretty boy boots.

Why do I find that so easy to believe?

A couple weeks ago I ran across an old CD (bought to replace my old vinyl LP) from "Poco." We didn't call it "country" music back then, but it would probably qualify as such today. (Jim Messina lives just down the road these days...he was also in "Buffalo Springfield" and "Loggins & Messina.") Another group from those times was "Pure Prairie League." We listened to those groups right along with other music that could never be mistaken today as "country" music. We didn't cosider their music country music then.

I think country music is best defined with the same phrase Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart used in the landmark case on obscenity.

"I know it when I see it."

I can listen to a song and tell you if it's country or not, but that's 'cause I myself am country born and bred. Real country music resonates with your soul in a way that other songs don't. Country music is like a good book - you can see everything happening in it without the "aid" of a music "video".

With that said, the sound of country music has changed over time. Just compare going back through the decades.

30s - Bare beginnings of commercial country

Waitin' for a Train -

John Hardy -

40s - Dominated by Roy Acuff and other mountain musicians with some big-band western swing

Freight Train Blues -

Big Ball's in Cowtown -

50s - Beginnings of the Honky Tonk era ruled by Hank Williams and Lefty Frizzel

I Heard that Lonesome Whistle Blow -

If You Got the Money -

60s - Country didn't have to deal with pop people trying to come over to country - they all went to folk

Alabam - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rku2HjUFqU

Life of a Po' Boy -

70s - Merle Haggard, George Jones, Tammy Wynette - need I say more?

Old Man from the Mountain -

A Picture of Me Without You -

Old Five and Dimers Like Me -

80s - Randy Travis single handedly saved country music from the pop crossovers that started to dominate the late 70s and early 80s

On the Other Hand - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s9q4An6rMA

Roll on Mississippi - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdacMprd0ic

Maggie's Dream - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkpaqB5JV2E

I Wonder Where You Are Tonight - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuxiXp4iWG0

90s - Alan Jackson was pretty much the only country singer left - there were a lot of pop/rock/country bands blasting over the air waves at the time

Here in the Real World - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkJdKq46UYc

2000s - Just stop listening. There's been no major country singers since Alan Jackson

Country music really started to go down hill right after it got "popular" in the late 80's and 90's. I really liked it from the 1970's and back. Some really good artists in the 80's too but they were the last and mostly now its all garbage. I do like Jamey Johnson he's kind of a rebel reminiscent of outlaw country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EYGwxf1gCC4

Some of the new stuff ain't country.Okay, most of it.

;)

George and Alan did a song about it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NK1Vrur_ewM

Some years ago, somebody at the annual Western Music Association Festival (when it was still in Tucson) made the comment that "Country music is some wannabe cowboy singing about some other wannabe cowboy's girlfriend. Western music is some cowboy singing about some cattleman's cows." :D -- GIT

If'n they're wearing hats or sequins, it ain't country.

If'n they have drums, it ain't country.

If cows, horses, sage, cactus, prairie, saddles, boots, sixguns, campfire, roping, branding, dogies, coyotes are mentioned it ain't country.

If while listening you can almost hear bagpipes, it definitely is country.

A country band can be composed of guitars, violins, mandolins, dobros, jugs, gut bucket, spoons, dulcimers, jews harp, mouth bow and if you go back far enough, small-pipes. A recorder or flute is acceptable.

A lot of bluegrass IS country. Alison Kraus is a delight. "Whiskey Lullaby" makes my heart hurt.

A lot of the current artist DO have some great voices and songs released including Jason Aldean, you just don't hear them on the radio as the pop/country/top 40 flavor seems to cover more demographics than just fans of pure country music in radio station executives minds so that's what gets the air time. There is too much allowed on so called country music stations today, thats not what most of us would call country music. I wish they would get the complete albums/CDs and play the better songs, not just the pushed singles. It's a shame.

some years back , during the "BAR WARS" era , playing the Honky Tonks ,

ya had to play both types of music , Country and western

BUT , ya had to read the crowd , to see what the play list was going to be , set to set

Honky Tonk , is a differant style , C&W , with a southren rock kick on the bass line and the drums

every band , had it's own sound , IF ya could not put em on the dance floor , ya did NOT play the clubs for long

CB

This is one of those interesting bar room discussions that sometimes leaves me scratching my head and asking, What's the point?

I like all kinds of music and really don't care what label folks try to stick on it.

I like a lot of what plays on our local "country" station, even though it's definitely doesn't sound like Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Waylon Jennings, or Dolly Parton.

I really like Kenny Chesney and Shania.

And this is one of my favorite videos of all time...

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

Boon Doggle, you left out "Trains"! I agree with all of you, today's so called Country is NOT! It is country POP/Rock at best, and most of it is horrid! Fortunately here in Chattanooga , we have a Classic Country Station that plays 100% good stuff!

Cheers, Hoss

I'm not much of a country music buff. There are a few artists and songs I like enough to have in my collection, and I can usually listen to it if is on. I do have a couple of country stations in my presets in my car, because they are local and I can get better weather and breaking important news. As I was searching for something to listen to this evening, I hit one of them, and when I paused, I realized the song had a drum track, certainly not a real drummer, as well as synthesizers and a bit of distorted guitar. I don't recall the lyrics, but they were more about romance (OK, sex) than anything else.

So, here is my thought. I would submit that simply singing with a country twang does not render a song "country music."

Good luck trying to define country music. Whatever you think is country music is country music to you. Music genres have crossed over so many times it isn't even funny. Try defining rock n roll! There's different kinds, soft rock, hard rock, heavy metal, Classic rock, pop rock etc. etc. Country music is the same.

What is Western music then??? Gene Autry, Roy Rogers etc. etc.

Rye :)

This is one of those interesting bar room discussions that sometimes leaves me scratching my head and asking, What's the point?

I like all kinds of music and really don't care what label folks try to stick on it.

I like a lot of what plays on our local "country" station, even though it's definitely doesn't sound like Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Waylon Jennings, or Dolly Parton.

I really like Kenny Chesney and Shania.

It was a question caused by me hearing something that, other than the singer's accent, didn't sound noticeably "country" in any other respect. There is plenty of music that I like, and my tastes and my collection can only be described eclectic. Classical, folk, classic rock, heavy metal, new wave, punk, and yes, country and more all reside on my iPod, and get played, since I usually just leave it on shuffle.

Noz mentioned Alison Krauss, an amazing talent, and able to do several different genres effectively, despite her bluegrass roots. Anyone hear the things she did with Robert Plant? I like Brad Paisley as well, and enjoy a lot of his stuff, such as "Waitin' On a Woman," "He Didn't Have to Be," and others. He's also quite a guitarist.

Good luck trying to define country music. Whatever you think is country music is country music to you. Music genres have crossed over so many times it isn't even funny. Try defining rock n roll! There's different kinds, soft rock, hard rock, heavy metal, Classic rock, pop rock etc. etc. Country music is the same.

What is Western music then??? Gene Autry, Roy Rogers etc. etc.

Rye :)

I suppose you make a valid point, although to me rock and roll of most styles can be traced somehow to its roots in the blues, despite the length of the tree you have to trace. I once heard Carl Perkins say that the early rock artists were "a bunch of white boys playing around with black boy rhythms," and that has struck true to me. Led Zeppelin, called the first heavy metal act by many, was described more accurately as a "cataclysmically loud blues band." Their song "Since I've Been Loving You" is the most powerful electric blues piece I've ever heard. Add a good back beat, and you're good to go for most rock. I can even hear blues influences in some of the more modern "pop-punk" that my daughter listens to, including her favorite, Fall Out Boy.

Western? That's easy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFI02AqKZ3c

Or is it this? :D

coun·try mu·sic

noun

noun: country music

1. a form of popular music originating in the rural southern US. It is traditionally a mixture of ballads and dance tunes played characteristically on fiddle, guitar, steel guitar, drums, and keyboard.

Hank Snow. Little Jimmy Dickens, Roy Acuff, etc.

Badger mountain Charlie got it right but he left out Patsy Montana's "I want to be a cowboys sweetheart". First female singer to sell 1 million records. And Hank Thompson, Tex Ritter, Kitty Wells.

What they put out today ain't country muisic. Sounds like a bunch of slow rock cashin in on the country music scene. In my truck I listen to my CD collection./ Oh I forgot Ernest Tubb, Billy Walker,

and a few more that I disremember right now.

Real country music is still out there you just have to look for it since radio stations won't play it. If you want to hear good old country music sung by the traditional artists tune into RFD TV

and check out Country's Family Reunion.

If you want to hear traditional country music at it's best go to you tube and Listen to Joey and Rory they do it right. You can also find them on RVD TV.

Royal Wade Kimes sings our type of music

Know what I like and what I don't. Easier to list what I don't like than what I do....heavy slow Mozart, nasal flat country, metal and acid rock, and almost every bit of rap I ever heard. Otherwise almost anything is good with me!

It used to be called Country & Western Music. And there were hats, sequins, fringe, piping etc. B Western stuff in the 40's and 50's

First you start with Hank Williams Senior

Then Patsy Cline

Mart Robbins the first crossover artist from country to rock.

George Jones

Don Edwards

A bit of Willie Nelson

Some Johnny Cash

And the most prolific of the country singers...George Straight

Ike

Archived