SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range 2015, It's Coming Fast!

I've thought long and hard over this whole LFCD issue. I'm now prepared to make the supreme sacrifice. Go ahead and sign me up, Larsen. At this point I'm pretty sure that I can beat that gimpy, rat bast**d Philly Slim, especially since he shoots girly loads anyway. Whereas, I can't beat Tbone unless he drops a loaded gun.

But I'd look better in a corset

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was sunny and 73 degrees with no wind and clear skies today. Since a couple of us are heading to the convention and will miss the work party this coming weekend, six of us went out and built an entirely new front today. Forgot my camera, but things are coming along nicely. I will try to post some photos and any match updates when I get back from the Convention. The awards are arriving daily. The first place awards are solid bronze so the crate they came in weights over 700 pounds. Will post some photos of them as soon as the walnut bases are finished and attached. If you haven't sent in your applications yet get them in as soon as possible. See you all SOON!!!

Yahoo....we're set, got our camp space and soooooo excited!

We are bringing a first time WR'er and his wife with us....as well as two new members that won't be shooting, but making the trip to see what a great match this is'!!

Thanks for all the hard work!!!

See you all soon!!

Howdy Sue;

Just a suggestion for the two "New Members". You might want to have them look into going as "Conventioneers".

That way they can shoot the Side Matches and the 4 Stage Warm Up on Wednesday. I did this last year as I had only been shooting for about two months at the time of WR 2014. I was far from being ready for the main match. I had lots of fun, got a taste of what WR is all about, learned a ton and the price was very reasonable.

http://www.winterrange.com/conventioneer.html

Have a safe trip and we'll see you in February.

I think if it wasn't for two problems I would sign up for WR this year it's been several years since I shot it because of health reasons.

Problem one is im in ga until March

Problem two was if I was to head straight from ga to Az I wouldn't have time to get my Rv ready for the trip and would have to rent a rig or stay at a hotel. Staying on the range is probably out even the no hook up over flow area and I'd suspect that pioneer will be full also.

Depending on if I find a co payer that's from ga or some where in between weather I return to the east coast or stay in the sw. Either way would work for me.

But on the way from nm to ga I only had one fuel stop for around $200 or so I was happy and still had half a tank when I got here much better that expected. I could swing into holloman and pick up a Rv if I reserver it in time.

So if some one along I 20 is interested in splitting the cost for expenses( fuel, Rv rental, Rv parking etc) contact me ASAP.

Dang, does that mean I have to behave? :(

Some should have taken the name "HAVE".

There are so many people striving to be him!

• 2 weeks later...

Things are moving really FAST. Between the SASS Convention and working on props I am behind on updating this thread. I have been having problems with Photobucket and all the photos I had posted have disappeared. The problems I was having with Photobucket seem to be fixed so I will post a few update photos as soon as I can.

Lots of fun things and events happening before and after match hours. In addition to the entertainment, swap meet, and shooter appreciation dinner there is something else brewing. Manufacturers frequently display their firearms at Winter Range but have never actually sold firearms. (E.g., Ruger and Pietta.) There are LOTS of guns and accessories sold by the distributors that cater to SASS shooters and a local gun shop or two. However, no manufacturer at Winter Range has ever sold directly to the shooters. This year if everything works out a major manufacturer of firearms is going to bring inventory to display and to SELL!!! Hopefully, everything will work out in the next two or three weeks.

We are past 700 shooters but max capacity has been increased to 792. So, there is still room and time to get in applications for the big event.

They have been busy out at Cowtown. Between the Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Association and Winter Range donating fronts and new ones being built by the Swiss Kid Cowtown is now pretty much done. It will be a while before the vegetation comes back. BUT, Cowtown is ready for Fire and Ice. There will be hundreds of people out at Cowtown practicing for Winter Range.

IMG_0806_zpsecvhrtll.jpg

For information on Cowtown and Fire and Ice go to http://www.ccsa-az.us/index.htm

Cowtown is looking great!

Thanks to everyone that rebuilt it.

Those of us that shoot 'Fire and Ice' to get ready for Winter Range appreciate it.

Wow what a magnificent job they have done, congratulations to all involved. We'll be there on the Sunday

I looked all over the CCSA website and couldn't find info on WIld Bunch Friday. So- here it is off the WBAS forum for all interested:

Friday 0900
February 20th
4-6 stages, will update as it nears.
Load accordingly....

Remember. We have a NEW range to boot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact is JT Wild
JT and Sammy Carpenter to run the show Friday so to speak.
Pay ten bucks on race day.
P L E A S E
RSVP to JT by e-mail
P L E A S E !!!!!!

e-mail is jt2wild@yahoo.com

May or may not see ya all Friday.
Some of us have life that gets in the way.
Any crap from these 2 fine shooters, you let me know too.... LOL
Will update as it draws nearer.

Thanks

Bodie

What's the round count for Fire and Ice?

Well it's 6 stages Sat and 6 stages Sun I'm sure you could work that out, plus any practice you might want to undertake .

Sunday was sunny and 75 so a lot of work got done. January and the first two weeks of February are crunch time as all the little pieces that were built over the past several months start coming together. This year one of the new props is a full size, operational chuck wagon. The box is completed, the wheels added and in the next few days the seat, footboard, chuckbox and tailgate, and the tongue will be added. A mold was made to form the wooden top bows and a canvas top is being sewn.

P1010255_zpsizhfq9ln.jpg

P1010275_zpsqzqxzhd4.jpg
P1010258_zpsrlszb6nv.jpg
P1010260_zpsofxxlct3.jpg
P1010273_zpsgkso88ld.jpg
P1010248_zpsh2hgswag.jpg

The yard is packed full of new props being constructed and the refurbishing of old ones. Winter Range could not perform this massive undertaking without volunteers that show up each and every year to help make the shoot a treat for their fellow shooters. The discussion around the ice chest at the end of each work day is always "what can we do to make the shoot even more enjoyable for the shooters?"

P1010250_zpsfyhcy2v0.jpg

P1010253_zpsuvwptlgw.jpg
P1010243_zpsqwnhc8qd.jpg

On the other end of the yard new sections of split rail fence have to be treated to seal them and protect them from the sun. Out in the parking lot a group is working on the murals that go in the windows of various buildings.
Finally, as the sun sets, EVERYTHING has to be stored away and the yard cleared. At the next work party everything has to be brought back out and set back up.
P1010265_zpsj0h75mxl.jpg
P1010252_zps4tm17pap.jpg
P1010267_zpsca35hdzk.jpg

P1010268_zpsinblld2g.jpg

With some cancellations we have received in the past few days, the match is down to around 730 shooters. So, there is still plenty of room for those that want to shoot in the world's largest Wild Bunch and Cowboy action event. The plans for the manufacturer setting up shop and selling their products at Winter Range are pretty well firmed up and a store front is being built for them. This manufacturer is a major player in cowboy guns and will have cowboy style rifles, shotguns and revolvers for sale. The swap meet is scheduled for Wednesday from 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm. At the same time there will be a free shooter appreciation dinner with hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad, soft drinks and beer, etc. At 7:00 pm there will be an opening ceremony. Everything will be in the main tent so it should be a good time to meet and greet old friends as it should be a packed house.

Wow, Thanks Larsen for taking the time to post these wonderful pictures. It sure does wet my appetite for Winter Range and Cow Town its a whole new place to play in, can't hardly wait. Makes me think of a quote " never has so many owed so few so much" Thanks Rough Riders and those that put Cow Town back on the map.

Bloody fantastic Larsen, you guys all deserve a medal.

I really don't think we all could thank your team enough. :):wub:

I am amazed every year at the work put in by the Winter Range crew of volunteers. Thanks for the updates. Looking forward to another good one.

Four Bucks

+1000

KK

Ok...my bet on the "manufacturer" is EMF. Even up...$1.

Won't be there this year, but my buddy Willie Killem and I have plans already started for shooting Winter Range in 2016.

We were there for the first time in 2014, and can't wait to go back!

Won't be there this year, but my buddy Willie Killem and I have plans already started for shooting Winter Range in 2016.

We were there for the first time in 2014, and can't wait to go back!

Winter Range 2016 will be the 25th Anniversary. We have already spent months planning for 2016. It will be BIG!!!

Winter Range 2016 will be the 25th Anniversary. We have already spent months planning for 2016. It will be BIG!!!

I can't make it this year but I'm in for next year's 25th Anniverary!!!!!

Archived