SASS Wire Forum

who's on First?-see near end of page 2

Chili Ron

Howdy,

I always thought first person to say Ill take it could buy anything put up for sale.

Now Im getting that if someone asks for pix nobody else can buy the item.

Whats up with that?

Please clarify who can buy something and who has to wait for pix??

I don't want to get throed offn the wire but hey I could have the money on its way

except for this new rule business.

Please clear the air, monitors.

Thanks.

Best

Chili Ron

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

first time I've heard that.... don't know that there is a set of rules so to speak, usually the seller states his parameters for a sale...l

I think It has been do what ever you want.

I have posted " I'll Take it" only to find out that a pm bought it and I was out.

I still think I would rather have the service of the classifieds. More rules requires those who break them to do so with more novelty.

Howdy Ron,

It is not specifically defined in the guidelines and apparently has not been a problem until a recent thread. :unsure: This one, http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=223100

As it is not specifically defined, I would think the seller calls the "shots." ;)

If you want it defined in the Guidelines, contact a member of the WB or the SASS office, and they can define it, if they choose to do so.

Regards,

Allie Mo

It isn't only here that there are problems. I personally usually post that I prefer an "I'll take it" on the forum, as it makes the time stamp problem easier to deal with. But some guys figure it isn't anyones business what they buy so they only pm sellers. Ultimately it is up to the seller what he wants to do.

I think It has been do what ever you want.

I have posted " I'll Take it" only to find out that a pm bought it and I was out.

I still think I would rather have the service of the classifieds. More rules requires those who break them to do so with more novelty.

It seems to me that if a seller is viewing an "I'll take it" PM that they could take a few seconds to mark the item "sold" to avoid the public "I'll take it" let down.

I would hope that the sellers who state, "The first I'll take it, get's it" , stick to that statement.

Fillmore

If someone before me has shown interest in an item, such as requesting pics or somesuch, and I want it, I'll usually reply something to the effect of, "I'll take it, deferring to Murderin' Mad Murdock, of course". If he passes, great, if he decides to buy, well I need to get up earlier next time then. I'm not going to jump in and buy something out from under someone because he's waiting to find out if it's really a genuine 2nd generation type 4 arsenal modified Bangstick shooter with original matching grip screws before dropping $1500 on it. Then there's the guy who only has a passing curious interest in something but says, "I'll take it!" so he can think on it for a week and a half, then decides against it. Meanwhile, another very interested buyer has found a suitable item elsewhere and the seller is SOL. I once posted an "I'll take it" on a Ruger Vaquero here and the seller decided to sell it to someone else who posted the next day because he was local and he didn't have to ship it. Kind of a low thing to do, but there's certainly no law against it.

As I have explained we are all grown men and dont need a moderator to explain to you or any of us how to have respect for someone in line in front of us as a perspective buyer when a seller doesnt provide detailed information and pictures of such said item. Also like I have stated in a previous topic the rudeness of jumping line on the wire now days is not the gentlman behavior I came used to in previous years dealing on the wire classifieds. Just because you jump in the middle of the game on a topic and say I will take it doesnt mean the previous gent ahead of you that already posted he sent a message to the seller asking questions in regards to buying it. Also like I have stated doing so is like jerking a gun out of a mans hands at a gun show and telling the dealer I will buy it he is taking to long. Respect respect respect each others order in line is the only way to be and is the only way I treat a potential buyer when I sell on the wire. Yes we all know there are picture collectors here on the wire I have dealt with alot of them myself over the years but I have also given the serious buyers with questions and concerns the time to make their decision in the order in which I receive the emails. Also explain to the other buyers in line their is someone in front of them negotiating. Pretty simple in my book. Look at it this way you go to the chevy dealer and take your loan paperwork to the bank come back the next day to only learn the dealer sold out from under you. Wouldn't that tick you off it sure would me. I guess the way my parents raised me right and my 10 years in the military taught me a little more about respect than others. Enough said off my soap box.

I've bought and sold enough on here to speak with a experience on this subject. I always specify first "i'll take it" gets it. I also provide a very detailed post with pics. If someone is willing to take a item sight unseen then more power to them. I also post pics because there are picture collectors that constantly ask for pics and never buy......ever. We don't need anymore rules than what we have here. We get along just fine. Temper tantrums due to people not getting what they want should not change anything. This is the real world. You win some you lose some, just like anything else So PLEASE, lets not muck up this forum with more rules.

As I have explained we are all grown men and dont need a moderator to explain to you or any of us how to have respect for someone in line in front of us as a perspective buyer when a seller doesnt provide detailed information and pictures of such said item. Also like I have stated in a previous topic the rudeness of jumping line on the wire now days is not the gentlman behavior I came used to in previous years dealing on the wire classifieds. Just because you jump in the middle of the game on a topic and say I will take it doesnt mean the previous gent ahead of you that already posted he sent a message to the seller asking questions in regards to buying it. Also like I have stated doing so is like jerking a gun out of a mans hands at a gun show and telling the dealer I will buy it he is taking to long. Respect respect respect each others order in line is the only way to be and is the only way I treat a potential buyer when I sell on the wire. Yes we all know there are picture collectors here on the wire I have dealt with alot of them myself over the years but I have also given the serious buyers with questions and concerns the time to make their decision in the order in which I receive the emails. Also explain to the other buyers in line their is someone in front of them negotiating. Pretty simple in my book. Look at it this way you go to the chevy dealer and take your loan paperwork to the bank come back the next day to only learn the dealer sold out from under you. Wouldn't that tick you off it sure would me.

Howdy Neches

You make some interesting and valid points.

All I can say, as a Moderator, is that unless there is a specific rule against certain behavior, language... or something is so egregious that it is reported or a moderator notices it, or it is listed as a transgression in the Guidelines, we who monitor these Forums have a difficult time reprimanding someone.

I think we could benefit from having something like this defined in the guidelines. Please let the SASS Office or member of the WB know your thoughts. The Moderators are unpaid volunteers who try to keep the Forums a pleasant place to post according to the Guidelines. We don't make the forum rules...

Regards,

Allie Mo

I've bought and sold enough on here to speak with a experience on this subject. I always specify first "i'll take it" gets it. I also provide a very detailed post with pics. If someone is willing to take a item sight unseen then more power to them. I also post pics because there are picture collectors that constantly ask for pics and never buy......ever. We don't need anymore rules than what we have here. We get along just fine. Temper tantrums due to people not getting what they want should not change anything. This is the real world. You win some you lose some, just like anything else So PLEASE, lets not muck up this forum with more rules.

I wish this was the last word, yet I won't lock the thread to make it so. ;-)

+1000

The gun show, / gun store analogy just does not fit it the cyber classifies world when 500 persons can be viewing the same item, thus there is NO line. An "I'll take it" is more easily viewed as a "buy it now" option like you see on Gunbroker, or other auction sites. It essentially means a buyer is willing to purchase the item for the posted price with no other information other than what is in the description, or information that they may have gotten in answer to a PM then made their decision to post a "I'll take it" it really not complicated.

Agreed, if purchased by PM and that's ok too, some people take their privacy very seriously and want their purchases private for whatever reason. The seller should update and mark the item sold ASAP

This has been discussed here in past years. The general consensus has always been that it is the seller who sets the rules and decides who to sell to. The SASS classifieds should police themselves, with again it being the sellers perogative as to how to proceed. No one should have the right to tell someone how to conduct their business, so long as no laws are broken. Jungle rules will weed out those undesirables.

Howdy,

Ive been on both sides of this and perhaps the best way to go is to pm replys.

NOT put replys on the wire.

Then the SELLER can sell to the pard who is first or who is local or whatever.

The gun show standing in line analogy is NOT VALID when hundreds of buyers or tire kickers

or picture collectors add to the confusion of who is BUYING.

Neches seems to be the loudest proponent of the wait for all the guys in front of you style.

Well Neches, Im sticking with pm.

And if anyone is selling junk on the wire claiming its like new

in box, I hope the buyers post who is doing that.

Just a casual look thru the Blue Book Of Gun Values will show that condition

can change the value of some items by hundreds of dollars.

At one time there was a three day return policy on items.

That's three full business days from the day a item is delivered.

That rule was in effect way back in the 1980s and 1990s.

Is that wire policy? Im not sure.

Best

CR

I've had a couple of I'll take it's not take it also. So now days an I'll take it has to be accompanied by a PM and that will trump a send me more pictures. YMMV.

It is private property BTW and as such subject only to the sellers wishes. I've been on both sides of the issue myself (not on this forum) and sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. I think that's the Cowboy way as well.

Now with two threads on this topic there is a new ad for 1860 Army grips and frames. One of the replies is "I will take the grips pending pics." What's the call? I say the respondent has effectively said nothing.

Hi Folks,

I've come to the conclusion, under the current Guidelines, that it is up to the seller. :ph34r:;)

BTW, a friend of mine is selling a dress that I love. I saw it when she originally bought it on eBay and in person at the Convention (back when it would have fit me). She posted a photo and measurements. I need to let out the seams a bit and asked if there was any room in the seams. She'd loaned it out for a Victorian photo shoot and said she would check when she got it back. Someone else said, "I'll take it" after I asked that question. The seller told me this; but, still wanted to honor my request for information before selling it.

I wrote her, with a link to the thread that caused this "dust up," that I thought the "I'll take it" should get it; but, if that fell through to let me know.

This is a tough situation. What if she told that person not yet, pending my response to the amount of ease in the seams, and the "I'll take it" person was offended and backed out? What if I couldn't alter it to fit? Then, no one wanted to buy the item? There are so many possibilities in a situation like this that ultimately, the seller would be the loser or winner and should call the "shots." ;)

That said, here the Guidelines rule. They don't describe the situation. So, it must be up to the seller.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Now with two threads on this topic there is a new ad for 1860 Army grips and frames. One of the replies is "I will take the grips pending pics." What's the call? I say the respondent has effectively said nothing.

What if no one else posted? Should the seller ignore the post that "said nothing?"

In any selling format "unconditional" offers always trump 'conditional' offers. "I'll take it- send pictures" is conditional on the pictures being sufficient. We all know as Deuce and others point out that some people will shop you for pictures then grind you for price and then grind you for terms and time to pay/settle.

The seller is always the ultimate arbiter of all the terms/ conditions/ payments he/she will accept. For a member to ask the moderators to attempt to enforce one way or the other is just foolish. Caveat emptor applies in this and all selling forums.

IMV- Larsen is absolutely correct, "pending pics" means absolutely nothing.

Pending pics and a detailed description means that as a buyer you dont want to get screwed over buy a liar pretty simple. Those that dont have the respect and the sense of the Cowboy way of waiting a bit for their turn are just plain rude.

"Pending pics and a detailed description means that as a buyer" doesn't mean you are a buyer. It means you are a looker. So, if I am at a gun show and looking at a gun then put it down to think about it a minute and someone else picks it up, looks at it and says "I'll take it" they are being rude? Don't think so. When you are "buying" things on the Internet (as opposed to looking or thinking about it) the winner is the first one that makes an unequivocal offer to purchase that meets the seller's terms. Where I have a problem with on-line ads is where someone makes an unequivocal offer, appears to be the buyer and then the seller changes his/her mind and sells to a local or does something else after the "sale." If you want to buy something make your intent clear and unequivocal.

I never said all sellers are liars Goody but I have dealt with a few of them from here over the years and been screwed by them not disclosing major issues with a firearm.

Hi Folks,

I've come to the conclusion, under the current Guidelines, that it is up to the seller. :ph34r:;)

That said, here the Guidelines rule. They don't describe the situation. So, it must be up to the seller.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Thanks Allie!!

Yep, and posting your selling preferences in the ad will help...

such as:

"First ' I'll take it posted here ' gets it"

or like some...

"Please reply via E-Mail to..."

or

"First prospective buyer requesting pictures will have 'first dibs' (or right of first refusal)"

or

First reply (determined by time stamp of PM, e-mail, or posted here) gets it...

or... (most confusing of all, I would think...)

"Prospective buyers asking for pictures or inquiries will be honored in the order their requests came in..."

As a seller, post your preferences in the ad to avoid hurt feelings and wire complaints... better still, post pictures and an accurate description.

If I'm trying to buy something and I'm making a lower price offer, or asking questions, I expect to be "bumped" by someone who straight up says, "I'll take it".

*edit... oh, and once you've sold it... post "SOLD" or "SPF" or something to indicate the item is taken, so others that want it don't have to receive the reply..."sorry, I already sold it..."

:)

Thanks Allie!!

Yep, and posting your selling preferences in the ad will help...

such as:

"First ' I'll take it posted here ' gets it"

or like some...

"Please reply via E-Mail to..."

or

"First prospective buyer requesting pictures will have 'first dibs' (or right of first refusal)"

or

First reply (determined by time stamp of PM, e-mail, or posted here) gets it...

or... (most confusing of all, I would think...)

"Prospective buyers asking for pictures or inquiries will be honored in the order their requests came in..."

As a seller, post your preferences in the ad to avoid hurt feelings and wire complaints... better still, post pictures and an accurate description.

If I'm trying to buy something and I'm making a lower price offer, or asking questions, I expect to be "bumped" by someone who straight up says, "I'll take it".

*edit... oh, and once you've sold it... post "SOLD" or "SPF" or something to indicate the item is taken, so others that want it don't have to receive the reply..."sorry, I already sold it..."

:)

Very well put.

Here's another good one from an item that just got posted. The first response is:

"Email sent with an offer. I'd like rights of first refusal."

So, suppose the seller gets an "I'll take it" a couple of posts later. What's the call?

Here's another good one from an item that just got posted. The first response is:

So, suppose the seller gets an "I'll take it" a couple of posts later. What's the call?

Also suppose someone sent an email to the seller BEFORE this post, asking for more description, pictures, etc..

Give #1 a time limit (24-48 hours) to take it at full price, or it goes to the "I'll take it" poster.

Give #1 a time limit (24-48 hours) to take it at full price, or it goes to the "I'll take it" poster.

So you would risk the sale by giving a potential window shopper preference over someone with cash in hand? Remember, the first guy did NOT meet the seller's terms. The second guy did.

Archived