SASS Wire Forum

who's on First?-see near end of page 2

Chili Ron

Here's another good one from an item that just got posted. The first response is:

"Email sent with an offer. I'd like rights of first refusal."

So, suppose the seller gets an "I'll take it" a couple of posts later. What's the call?

Just requesting ROFR doesn't mean squat. Seller should always sell 1st to the firm offer.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think all deals should be brokered through a moderator, so that way we all feel better about this and that. especially since they don't have anythin else better to do and we can't find something better to complain about.

Really, guys?

I remember back to a rifle I was going to buy. Saw it at a shoot, wanted it, went and got the check book, walked over to the owner and asked who to make the check out to. In the time it took me to get the checkbook off the gun cart, someone had come up and given a cash deposit for it.

Learned then and there.

Hold onto the rifle. Send the wife for the checkbook.

I have purchased numerous firearms in the last few months from at least 14 different sellers and have had no major problems. Might be the luck of the draw but I believe we Cowboys are a better cut of cloth than most people. When I ask for pics or better descriptions I assume I could lose the item. My life experience is no more rules.. this is a very good place to buy...from damn reputable people.....More rules....'We don't need no stinkin rules' Jim

I have purchased numerous firearms in the last few months from at least 14 different sellers and have had no major problems. Might be the luck of the draw but I believe we Cowboys are a better cut of cloth than most people. When I ask for pics or better descriptions I assume I could lose the item. My life experience is no more rules.. this is a very good place to buy...from damn reputable people.....More rules....'We don't need no stinkin rules' Jim

+1. Well said Jim.

I know durn well when I ask for pictures that anyone who is willing to commit with an "I'll take it", pictures unseen, could get it, and no harm, no foul from me. A risk I willingly take, unless the seller stated differently. I do not think it is the Cowboy Way to ask a seller to wait on me (unless he has agreed to do so) when he has an unconditional offer in hand. Heck, a pics request is not even a conditional offer.

I have bought many arms from pards on this site - have yet to be misled. We do not need more stinkin' rules!

Harvey

Why not ask now serious the buyer really is , instead of assuming they are tire kickers, it appears as if a person is taking a few minutes

Or hours to decide on a post that didn't have a lot of description to begin with, are not taken serious? Really , had not gotten a response from the seller, maybe just maybe one could say ( if he or she decides not to take I will). Really how hard is it to be a little polite.

Thank you

Real simple, in my simple mind: first unconditional agreement to buy as offerred gets it. "I'll take it pending pics" is not unconditional. If that unconditional agreement is PM, so be it. If on line, so be it. Up to the seller to decide, but should edit post to let everyone know it's gone. Seller cannot be bound by conditionals unless (s)he chooses to do so. Conditionals are not firm commitments. "I'll take it" is.

Why not ask now serious the buyer really is , instead of assuming they are tire kickers, it appears as if a person is taking a few minutes

Or hours to decide on a post that didn't have a lot of description to begin with, are not taken serious? Really , had not gotten a response from the seller, maybe just maybe one could say ( if he or she decides not to take I will). Really how hard is it to be a little polite.

Thank you

You know how serious a buyer is when they post "I'll take it".

I wonder if some of the people sayin it's rude to post "I'll take it" are the same people that back up the hammer lane because thier going 5 over and think that's fine with open road in front and thirty cars behind.

Howdy,

Now this is ezzactly what I always thought.

I still want that durn Winchester.

I guess its all up to Two Gun Bob.....

Best

CR

As soon as a buyer feels he has enough info to make the statement "I'll take it", as a seller I would conclude the deal. And I would include those terms in my original offer. And I would probably use "first PM received" as my criteria, so that a person who really wanted to keep his purchases on the down-low, could. No conditional offers, no weaseling. If you back out after you stated you would take it, I'd remember a long time. But, I'd also relist it and get 'er sold.

Good luck, GJ

Oh, and if you think you can sell most guns here without pictures, you are nuts! If you need to, have your kid or granddaughter take some pics that show real detail, post them on a public photo web site, and know how to put a link into your ad. The old "email for pics" trick is bad news. Slows the transaction down, and a too-large number of sellers won't send pics even after they state "email for pics." :angry: !

If it is "like new" "unmodified" "minor cart dings only", than maybe you don't need pics. Otherwise, don't treat your buyers as if they are expected to be "buying a pig in a poke".

GJ

I have purchased numerous + guns and a boat load of shirts pants,coats etc., etc., etc off the SASS Wire.

I have lost numerous items due to my lack of commitment.

To me that's the name of the game 1st positive "I'll take it" get's the prize.

Why should the seller have to wait for me to hem and haw till I decide to purchase an item. If that was the case I would just PM every seller who had something that I MIGHT BUY just to hold it.

I don't think that is fair to the seller.

Also most of the listings especially for guns you know what they look like. If they say dings and dents from safe storage or gun carts you can envision that as well. As long as they don't mention a major defect, bent barrel, broken stock etc., I don't think you really need a picture.

Sellers, it behooves you to add a picture cause it does help to sell your item. And some items I agree do demand a picture. A gun that has been modified, clothes etc.

I guess that the thing that bugs me the most is when I'm the 1st one to state that I'll take it, the seller says the item has been sold to his friend or someone that did send him a PM that wasn't even mentioned. I feel that the seller should immediately list the item as SOLD.

Stop whinnying, get over it and move on.

Just my 2 bullets worth

This is really pretty simple. Just as each of us has his own opinion of the way things should be, so does the seller. It is his property and to keep or dispose of as he sees fit. Should he decide to hold on and send pictures or sell to first unqualified "I'll take it". Trying to control the transfer of goods for cash or other things of value smacks too much of governmental involvement.

2 willing parties, a seller and a buyer, reach an agreement that's the end of it no one else has any say in the matter. The rest is just sour grapes. just my 2 cents and worth everything you paid for it.

All my ads will now end with the following disclaimer:

IMPORTANT: This advertisement is intended for the use of the sale
of the item(s) listed above and may contain information that is
confidential, privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive
persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational
personal beliefs. If you are not the intended purchaser, any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this offer is not
authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an
irritating social faux pas. Unless the word cromulent has
been used in its correct context somewhere other than in this
warning, it does not have any legal or grammatical use and may be
ignored. No animals were harmed in the transmission of this
offer, although the yorkshire terrier next door is living on
borrowed time, let me tell you. Those of you with an overwhelming
fear of the unknown will be gratified to learn that there is no
hidden message revealed by reading this warning backwards, so
just ignore that Alert Notice from Microsoft: However, by pouring
a complete circle of salt around yourself and your computer you
can ensure that no harm befalls you and your pets. If you have
viewed this offer in error, please add some nutmeg and egg
whites and place it in a warm oven for 40 minutes. Whisk briefly
and let it stand for 2 hours before icing. If you have recently suffered
from death, wait thirty minutes before swimming. No claim is made
that the products offered here are any better than the products
offered for sale by other cowboys. If you read the classified for
more than four hours, seek the counsel of a qualified gunsmith
before filling a third safe full of guns. Do not remove the tag, under
penalty of law. Wash colors and whites separately. An never, under
any circumstances, trust a fart.

I am almost speechless Branchwater.....

I hesitate to articulate...for fear that I may deviate

from the true and stated paths of rectitude.....say what??? Jim

It's real simple, post pics or a link to pics so anyone can see the item. State first "I'll Take It" posted here gets the item. No line started by waiting for pics or PMs.......... first "I'll Take It" posted here gets the item........the end ;) Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

As stated in in the "you can now post pictures on the forum" . The problem with this feature is predicated on using a photo hosting service. At least 20% of the pictures I try to access off these sites are blocked by my Norton 360 as having malicious files attached to them. This is an unacceptable security risk. I know this site is dedicated to 19th century technology but the soft ware doesn't have to meet that paradigm. No other gun site that I frequent still uses this antiquated technology. They all allow direct upload from your computer to the gun site for info and ad's.

Your SASS dues, club dues which include kick backs to SASS for affiliation and annual match fees which include the same kick backs certainly provide enough income to pay for it. Just sayin'.

I hope that doesn't get me banned as I have been a life member for a long time, if so oh well.

Hmmmmm... I musta bought and sold near a hundred items on this site over the last 10 years or so, and have never run into a problem. I've asked for details or pics and have had someone else post an "I'll take it" while I was waiting for a reply. Not a problem. I just didn't pull the trigger fast enough.

Sometimes I have posted an ad from work, with a note that pictures will be posted as soon as i get home from work, (sometimes I have had to work several days at a clip and sleep in a "Call Room"), and I have sold an item to a pard who gave me an unconditional, "I'll take it" before the pictures could be took. (A stainless 5-1/2" Vaquero is pretty much a standard item... you can't "see" the action job anyway.)

A complaint about how someone chooses to sell their item is a really rare happening!

I'd be more concerned if someone didn't receive an item they had paid for.

This horse deserves to be put out of it's misery. Someone shoot it.

:P

As stated in in the "you can now post pictures on the forum" . The problem with this feature is predicated on using a photo hosting service. At least 20% of the pictures I try to access off these sites are blocked by my Norton 360 as having malicious files attached to them. This is an unacceptable security risk. I know this site is dedicated to 19th century technology but the soft ware doesn't have to meet that paradigm. No other gun site that I frequent still uses this antiquated technology. They all allow direct upload from your computer to the gun site for info and ad's.

Your SASS dues, club dues which include kick backs to SASS for affiliation and annual match fees which include the same kick backs certainly provide enough income to pay for it. Just sayin'.

I hope that doesn't get me banned as I have been a life member for a long time, if so oh well.

Are you sure? Please provide some proof of this allegation.

I'll take everything - pending pictures that meet my satisfaction...........and the availability of funds that are equal to the price I think is more than fair to me

<_<

Howdy Branchwater Jack,

You missed my favorite, as seen under the hood of a foreign car at the Chicago Auto Show sometime back:

NEVER open this cap

USUALLY.

Best

CR

Are you sure? Please provide some proof of this allegation.

That was based on a presentation given by The Judge along with his wife Justice Lilly Kate I believe is her alias, while trying to get one the Texas clubs (Tejas Pistoleros) to affiliate. I and my wife attended the meeting and when the Judge was questioned as to who got the money from the dues he said quote "I do" . At that he refused to discuss it further.

I also brokered a meeting of all of the existing Texas Clubs at Comenchero Days in 1996 at the request of the Judge and the Chisler because the Texas clubs were going to bolt SASS and form a Texas based umbrella organization. the Judge, Tex and The Chiseler all had the same story. This was the year in a show of support I took a life membership, at the time I also worked for Cimarron FA.

I have never posted this info before but since you ask I have now.

This was my post. for a Navy Arms 1873

I'll take the 73 if still available. Let me know where to send the funds. SA

Will someone please tell me why this is causing such a fuss.

​this put the ball in the seller's court.

He can send photos to the first poster and wait for a response

or he can sell it to a ( I'll take it) post

So what's the problem with my post. SA

Ain't no problem with your post. It's a fuss 'cause one prospective buyer seemed to have a problem with it and loudly said so. One seller thinks that everybody ought to do like he does... Not saying he's wrong... it is his right. (By the way, he's a good guy and I've bought items from him and sold items to him.)

Every seller has the right to do however they wish with their own property, (within the law), and of the untold thousands of transactions carried out through the Wire Classifieds over the years, there have been very, very, very few complaints about the way a sale has been conducted.

The prospective buyer lost nothing... Like you said, they seller sold it to someone else anyway... you're not complaining about it.

I posted a question first on another item, some one else came along with an "I'll take it", I'm not posting complaints about that either... Just the way things work.

I don't feel that the analogy about taking the gun out of someone's hands at a gun show works... a gun show and a classified ad are different animals. (My opinion, for all that's worth.)

Howdy SA, nothing wrong with that at all. Like I said earlier, when I post something for sale I state first "I'll Take It" posted here gets the item. No line started by waiting for pics or PMs or e-mails, doesn't matter if yer on the phone with a potential buyer.......... first "I'll Take It" posted here gets the item........the end. In fact I've been on the phone with someone that said they wanted the item. I told them to go to the classified and post an "I'll Take It" before someone else does. That's the way I've always known it to be if stated first "I'll Take It" gets it (as it shoild be) ;) Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I saw nothing wrong with your post.

That was based on a presentation given by The Judge along with his wife Justice Lilly Kate I believe is her alias, while trying to get one the Texas clubs (Tejas Pistoleros) to affiliate. I and my wife attended the meeting and when the Judge was questioned as to who got the money from the dues he said quote "I do" . At that he refused to discuss it further.

I also brokered a meeting of all of the existing Texas Clubs at Comenchero Days in 1996 at the request of the Judge and the Chisler because the Texas clubs were going to bolt SASS and form a Texas based umbrella organization. the Judge, Tex and The Chiseler all had the same story. This was the year in a show of support I took a life membership, at the time I also worked for Cimarron FA.

I have never posted this info before but since you ask I have now.

Hmmm... I've only seen financial reports of two clubs. There was no fee paid to SASS listed. The only thing I know of is the recent $5 per shooter fee for, I think, State and above matches paid to SASS.

Has anyone else heard of clubs paying a fee to SASS to be considered affiliated?

This buying and selling is more complicated than I thought....dang...and more political too...dang ...this thread is dead...shoot the horse...shoot the horse...quick before its Obamas fault...Jim

Howdy Branchwater Jack,

And I thank you very much for clearing that up....

I sointly do.

Best

CR

and I owe you a bag of cracker jacks.

btw the rifle that started or at least threw gasoline on the fire

was sold to Two Gun Bobs BROTHER.

hahahahahahahahahahah... o I kaint hardly breethe.

I go with first to post to wire with "I'LL take it" gets it unless I mark it sold due to a pm. Only had one beef due to this and that was from a tenderfoot. If I get a pm, I mark it sold asap, solves a lot of problems.

Hmmm... I've only seen financial reports of two clubs. There was no fee paid to SASS listed. The only thing I know of is the recent $5 per shooter fee for, I think, State and above matches paid to SASS.

Has anyone else heard of clubs paying a fee to SASS to be considered affiliated?

Just looked at the non discretionary budget for my club (that's a big word, but I'm pretty sure that's where SASS affiliation fees would be). I don't see any SASS fees, but to be honest, I'm kind of surprised there aren't any. I just assumed there were.

Maybe the Judge was renting the range to that group.

Archived