SASS Wire Forum

Starbucks not quite as gun friendly as it used to be.

Clay Mosby

""There's a big difference in the connotation of someone holding a gun and someone holding a cigarette," :huh: ...like some one is going to be HOLDING a gun while they get their coffee..

Anyway - still better than some other coffee, hippie, liberal, slacker joints ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Howdy,

I like Dunkin anyhoo.

Starbucks is too harsh but they do sell some great hardware,

I use starbucks coffee maker ever mornin.

I sent their stuff along with DD to my nephew in the sandbox.

His team preferred DD coffee already ground cause they didn't have

a grinder. (Their packs were already plenty heavy)

Some folks just don't see the big picture.

I say pay em with $2 bills.

;)

Best

CR

Schultz hopes people will honor the request not to bring in guns but says the company will nevertheless serve those who do.

"We will not ask you to leave," he said.

A totally meaningless statement.

Translation: We request that you don't. But if you do it's okay. We won't kick you out. We're just trying not to piss anybody off. We still want your money. And the anti gun money too. Thanks for your support. :rolleyes:

Schultz should be a politician.

Starbucks is in the business of selling coffee and those delicious pasties. They don't want to get involved in any controversial issues not related to selling coffee. Some gun rights folks grabbed onto Starbucks and apparently held open carry events to advance their cause. This of course set off the anti-gun folks who scream they are taking their business elsewhere. Starbucks just wants to sell coffee to everyone. It appears that live and let live is the corporate policy when it comes to guns.

I agree with Badlands. I never have liked the idea of shaking-down third-party businesses over an issue they have nothing to do with. They just want to do business with everyone, and there really is no reason to involve them in controversies unless they've brought it on themselves in some way.

I've seen this on the local level, where somebody with an axe to grind against another point of view can't do anything about their adversary, so they try to start boycotts of the business their opponent patronizes, which has absolutely nothing to do with the controversy.

Yup. BB's spot on.

Sadly, the "in your face" tactics of some didn't help our collective image much... :(

I like Starbucks coffee and wish we had one here in Sturgis. That said, We do have Sturgis Coffee Company. This sign is on all entrance doors and at the cash register:

GUNS ARE WELCOME ON PREMISES

PLEASE KEEP ALL WEAPONS HOLSTERED UNLESS NEED ARISES

IN SUCH CASE, JUDICIOUS MARKSMANSHIP IS APPRECIATED

They sell a leather- laser etched mouse pad that says that at sturgiscoffeecompany.com

I really like mine... and so does my mouse.

Certainly there must be someplace else to get a good cup of coffee...for less...and a bunch of tasty pastries...for less...and not have to put up with snotty employees and stuck up patrons...for a LOT less.

Forty Rod, these people are paying for snotty. They all speak snotty and get a feeling of self importance by showing how complicated they can order their snotty coffee, which really isn't coffee at all after they put all that crap in it. But I do like those tasty pastries :)

Starbucks is in the business of selling coffee and those delicious pasties. They don't want to get involved in any controversial issues not related to selling coffee. Some gun rights folks grabbed onto Starbucks and apparently held open carry events to advance their cause. This of course set off the anti-gun folks who scream they are taking their business elsewhere. Starbucks just wants to sell coffee to everyone. It appears that live and let live is the corporate policy when it comes to guns.

Starbucks sells PASTIES????? I guess I need to get out more.........

LL

I just went to Starbucks today.

Got our usual Coffee with hot chocolate. Or Cafe Mocha Grande to the snobby.

Anyhow, nobody asked me to leave because I had a gun ...

... but then again I didn't TELL anyone I had a gun.

Guess it's nobody's business what I have in my pocket.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Our local Starbucks is basically a stand in our grocery store - which caters to hunters and the like. The store isn't going to kick anyone out...so this is not an issue in our area...

HOWEVER - there is a Tim Horton's opening in our town very soon and they have a drive-thru :D

Also, Waimea's post is spot on - nobody's business...

They said nthey were not going to kick anyone out of their stores so what's the big deal? I don't care if the like my gun or not, that's their choice. If they contribute to anti-gun causes, that's another matter.

But it's pretty moot in my case. Not a Starbucks within 2 hours.

Starbucks sells PASTIES????? I guess I need to get out more.........

LL

Must have something to do with GGs Boobies in California thread.

Must have something to do with GGs Boobies in California thread.

well - there has to be some sort of decency - better than what some college students are doing around here :lol:

watch the video ;)

http://www.woodtv.com/news/local/ottawa-county/gvsu-wrecking-ball-moved-after-people-swing-on-it

Can't blame Starbucks at all. Radical loons are loons even if they are 2d Amendment loons. It is/was just a matter of time before one of the loons ripped one into the parking lot or up into the ceiling. Sometimes open carry is kind of dumb.

Coffinmaker

Can't blame Starbucks at all. Radical loons are loons even if they are 2d Amendment loons. It is/was just a matter of time before one of the loons ripped one into the parking lot or up into the ceiling. Sometimes open carry is kind of dumb.

Coffinmaker

Assuming that an open carry advocate is a loon and will eventualy fire off a round is the same thing anti gunners say about concealed carry folks..or anyone with a gun. I don't carry openly myself and wouldn't in a place that caters to the latte sippin g crowd, but I won't brand the guys who do as loons.

Reading the replies here and the articles from the famously unbiased media I've come to realize a few things.

To cover their disappointment that an evil AR was not used Monday, the media is having a feeding frenzy over the Starbucks statement.

Starbucks wanted to stay out of the controversy, but managed to get pulled smack into the middle of it and found themselves betwixt a rock and a hard place.

To paraphrase a line from Jurassic Park, "just because you Can so something, doesn't necessarily mean you Should."

Coffinmaker

BULL!

That's like saying open driving is kind of dumb.

Starbucks wanted to stay out of the controversy, but managed to get pulled smack into the middle of it and found themselves betwixt a rock and a hard place.

Wouldn't have been an issue if they had kept their corporate mouth shut about it.

Wouldn't have been an issue if they had kept their corporate mouth shut about it.

True, but between the Starbucks appreciation days and the Saturday boycotts I guess the temptation to try and "explain" was a case of emotion overruling intellect.

Didn't this whole thing get started when a Starbucks somewhere that allows open carry refused to kick people out when some antis got in a snit? Then they wrote to corporate whining, Starbucks told 'em, basically, to get bent, Starbucks was not going to violate anyones civil rights.

well - there has to be some sort of decency - better than what some college students are doing around here :lol:

watch the video ;)

http://www.woodtv.com/news/local/ottawa-county/gvsu-wrecking-ball-moved-after-people-swing-on-it

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/when-miley-is-naked-and-licks-a-hammer-its-art-meme.jpg

I was in Mickey D's yesterday having coffee and a biscuit when a guy walks in with a nice looking stainless S&W on his hip. I was there the whole time he was and nobody even batted an eye.

Kinda refreshing, but I still don't do open carry under most circumstances. Prefer that the fact that I am heeled go unnoticed unless needed. ;)

I don't open carry but have no problem with those who do as long as it is done sensibly. The guys who went into a Starbucks with AR's strapped to their backs to prove their point are no different than the tree huggers who get in a snit every time they see a gun. Everything in moderation.

• 3 weeks later...

I carry in Starbucks every day, of course it's always concealed unless I'm on duty in uniform. I totally support open carry and folks right to do so. I just personally think its dumb. Most of the open carry folks I have encountered are just trying to be controversial and do more harm to the pro 2nd amendment movement than they do good, at least around where I'm from. The guys with a handgun are no big deal, but everyonce in awhile someone has to strap on an AR or tac shotgun, because I don't know why. Anyways my wife works for Starbucks and nothing has changed for them policy wise, they follow whatever local law says. Schultz is just asking people not to open carry not prohibiting it. I don't blame him, some people are ruining it for everyone else.

I carry in Starbucks every day, of course it's always concealed unless I'm on duty in uniform. I totally support open carry and folks right to do so. I just personally think its dumb. Most of the open carry folks I have encountered are just trying to be controversial and do more harm to the pro 2nd amendment movement than they do good, at least around where I'm from. The guys with a handgun are no big deal, but everyonce in awhile someone has to strap on an AR or tac shotgun, because I don't know why. Anyways my wife works for Starbucks and nothing has changed for them policy wise, they follow whatever local law says. Schultz is just asking people not to open carry not prohibiting it. I don't blame him, some people are ruining it for everyone else.

Sorry about the double post my slate is wigging....Oh and when I said open carry"is dumb" I just meant I think it's dumb to be letting everyone know what you got.....

Good post Red Horse Ranger. Their policy has not changed.

Why is it always "controversial" to show that people with guns, for the most part, don't act like the antis claim they do? They don't start blasting away when their order is wrong. They don't draw and start shooting when someone cuts them off and takes the parking space they were starting to pull into. They don't spray down the area with gunfire the minute someone looks at them cross-eyed. Why must we always hide?

There is a time and a place for everything. I don’t carry openly because tactically it is in my opinion a mistake, and also it makes people like it or not uncomfortable. If I see you in McDonalds with a handgun on your hip I will keep you in sight. If you walk in with a shotgun slung over your back you will have my undivided attention. Why because what you are doing is out of the norm and that usually spells trouble. Lets face it the average person in most areas does not walk into a public place with an exposed weapon.

I have no problem with Starbucks policy. Remember concealed means just that no one should know you have a gun.

Archived