SASS Wire Forum

Did I miss something? Straight trigger?

Goody, SASS #26190

Fellow today at a shoot was talking about how some are straightening the triggers out on 73's now and setting them back. Now I haven't been a TG for awhile, but I don't recall any talk of a rule change over this. This would seemto go against the "no external mods" section in the SHB. So, did I miss something or is the camel poking his nose in the tent again?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to imagine some mod that you could not make in the name of "re-profiling".

If I were king, I would have to believe that the re-profiling term had to do with internal parts, in light of the "externally visible" qualifier used elsewhere. Don't have a dog in this fight, just offering an opinion.

Hey Mack,

This rule came to my attention when I saw a pair of pistols where Ol' No. 4 had reprofiled the hammers to lower them. I think that would sure help one to shoot duelist. I didn't have it done though.

It doesn't get much more external than a hammer and PaleWolf verified that it was okay to reprofile hammers.

Regards,

Allie Mo

This is an intetesting thread.

Am I to understand if I'm simply reprofiling its not an external mod?

Mack Hacker makes a good point.

Ringer

Wow, this changes everything. I believe I'll re-profile my stock. :lol::unsure::P

894y.jpg

ANY EXTERNAL MODIFICATION TO ANY FIREARM NOT SPECIFICALLY REFERENCED IN THIS HANDBOOK IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED!

Since the trigger modification is an external modification and is not specifically allowed.

TRIGGERS AND TRIGGER GUARDS
• Triggers may be profiled to narrow their width.
• Trigger position may be adjusted.
• Trigger stops may be added.
• Shotgun trigger guards may be wrapped with leather or other natural material.
• Bending the trigger guard on side by sides so triggers are more exposed is not allowed.
• Trigger shoes are not allowed.

On it's surface I would say that Slick's trigger is an illegal modification.

Unless someone can pull out a ruling by the Rules Committee I would say that straightening the trigger is NOT ALLOWED.

Maybe some spin Doctor would say this is adjusting the trigger position. Seems to me that the trigger should be curved not straight!

As for Hammers on revolvers.

Ruger Super Blackhawk/Montado style revolver hammers (i.e. lowered and widened hammers) are acceptable on both adjustable and fixed sight model revolvers.

I've heard that a straight trigger might reduce the likelihood of pinching your finger, but I don't know from experience having never used a straight trigger, nor pinched my finger while

shooting the rifle.

That is the reason for it. Although if your not paying attention and put your finger in the wrong spot the straight trigger can pushed through your finger just like a curves one can. I have the scar to prove it.

Would some nice cowperson please explain the advantage of a straight trigger ?

The straight trigger is said to reduce the pinching cause by sticking you finger inside the trigger guard AND THEN closing the lever. The trigger is driven into your trigger finger causing EXTREME pain and a stream of words that usually shouldn't be uttered. And a lot of blood flow.

It is more common with Marlin rifles and there is a trigger that ALMOST eliminates the problem http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/259762/wild-west-guns-rifle-trigger-marlin-336-444-1894-1895-blue

Straightening the trigger on a 66/73 also helps the problem in that gun.

The "Happy Trigger" for the Marlins looks exactly like the factory trigger. (And are legal)

The straightened trigger as shown on Slick McClades website do not resemble the factory trigger at all. (And in my opinion are not legal)

The straight trigger is said to reduce the pinching cause by sticking you finger inside the trigger guard AND THEN closing the lever. The trigger is driven into your trigger finger causing EXTREME pain and a stream of words that usually shouldn't be uttered. And a lot of blood flow.

It is more common with Marlin rifles and there is a trigger that ALMOST eliminates the problem http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/259762/wild-west-guns-rifle-trigger-marlin-336-444-1894-1895-blue

Straightening the trigger on a 66/73 also helps the problem in that gun.

The "Happy Trigger" for the Marlins looks exactly like the factory trigger. (And are legal)

The straightened trigger as shown on Slick McClades website do not resemble the factory trigger at all. (And in my opinion are not legal)

"Resemble"...is that a requirement???

What do you base your opinion regarding the legality on???

Phantom

"Resemble"...is that a requirement???

What do you base your opinion regarding the legality on???

Phantom

See post #12

Hello,

Between "All parts may be smoothed, reprofiled, polished, deburred, or replaced provided they are not prohibited in these Covenants "and "Trigger position may be adjusted," I'm having a hard time stating unequivocally that straight triggers are prohibited, thus illegal. I would need to see where it is "prohibited in these Covenants."

Regards,

Allie Mo

ANY EXTERNAL MODIFICATION TO ANY FIREARM NOT SPECIFICALLY REFERENCED IN THIS HANDBOOK IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED!

Since the trigger modification is an external modification and is not specifically allowed.

TRIGGERS AND TRIGGER GUARDS

• Triggers may be profiled to narrow their width.

• Trigger position may be adjusted.

• Trigger stops may be added.

• Shotgun trigger guards may be wrapped with leather or other natural material.

• Bending the trigger guard on side by sides so triggers are more exposed is not allowed.

• Trigger shoes are not allowed.

On it's surface I would say that Slick's trigger is an illegal modification.

Unless someone can pull out a ruling by the Rules Committee I would say that straightening the trigger is NOT ALLOWED.

Maybe some spin Doctor would say this is adjusting the trigger position. Seems to me that the trigger should be curved not straight!

As for Hammers on revolvers.

Ruger Super Blackhawk/Montado style revolver hammers (i.e. lowered and widened hammers) are acceptable on both adjustable and fixed sight model revolvers.

Spin????

Hello,

Between "All parts may be smoothed, reprofiled, polished, deburred, or replaced provided they are not prohibited in these Covenants "and "Trigger position may be adjusted," I'm having a hard time stating unequivocally that straight triggers are prohibited, thus illegal. I would need to see where it is "prohibited in these Covenants."

Regards,

Allie Mo

You take a curved trigger and make it straight. You can't do that without changing the position. How simple and unambiguous is that?

This is to be expected since we long ago rolled to the bottom of the slippery slope.

The old 10 foot rule would preclude a straight trigger but oh well whatever...

I WANT three make it four if they fit a 66 too!

My hypocrisy goes only so far...

10 foot rule?

Maybe we should define every word in the Handbook in the Glossary.

This is getting worse than the Democrats INTERRUPTING the Constitution.

Geissele puts out a straight trigger for AR15's used in 3-gun competition. A few other folks put out straight triggers for 1911's used for: competition.

It seems to be a practice that applies to competition firearms across a broad set of games.

Frankly, there is NO competitive advantage in a straight trigger and they do require practice to get comfortable with them. You would probably never find them on a duty piece because the have a tendency to pull the firearm off line with heavier (stock) triggers.

I don't believe they look all that bad, and while I'm not a fan of defeating trigger safeties, I believe them to be within the rules.

Just to clarify, I am neither for or against them. Just was wondering if they were allowable under the current set of rules. I was never against someone changing hammers out, but made several calls before it was allowed. You either have rules or you don't.

You either have rules or you don't.

And then there's those few who twist the rules and the unpublished, undocumented decisions & rulings which we never see....... makes it tuff sometimes.

Just to clarify, I am neither for or against them. Just was wondering if they were allowable under the current set of rules. I was never against someone changing hammers out, but made several calls before it was allowed. You either have rules or you don't.

Pot Stirrer....Is your name Sam?

Maybe we should define every word in the Handbook in the Glossary.

This is getting worse than the Democrats INTERRUPTING the Constitution.

Say what??? I take it only your understanding is the correct one...we should perhaps just all shut up.

and the 10' rules was "if it looks cowboy from 10', it's good"

Archived