SASS Wire Forum

Annuals 1 day or 2 days?

Marshal Dan Troop 70448

Hearing conversations on Club Annuals,(not talking about State or above matches) and some saying their cost are going up, besides travel, lodging and food for 2 days, and some because of distance and work, can only attend 1 day Club Annuals.

What length do you like for club Annuals, 1 or 2 days, and if 1 day match, how many stages? Thanks, MT

As a shooter. I would vote two days.

Anything over 6 stages in a day and I might be toast. I know my wife would be fading after 6.

And if just 6 stages in one day. Then it becomes just another monthly match.

As a vendor. Again. I would vote two days.

If just one day. And very far at all. I would NOT be going.

P.S. That would be two day of MAIN match.

side matches could make it 3 days. OR. I would be OK with sides

after the main on day one.

Hey, MT! The only club annual I'm familiar with is our own and it is a two day, ten stage match. It seems to work well for our members.

when I worked, one long day of shootin , with a second day of side matches for folks that wanted more was fine

cus, with travel time it still often times ment at least one day off work

state and above, two day main match

2 or 3 .The more the better.I get to shoot more.

Hi MT,

I like one day for side matches, two days for the main match, one day for shoot-off, team shoot (I miss those) and awards; for a total of four from Thursday to Sunday.

About team shoots, one could even add an extra stage to the Friday match and have it be a Posse Shoot as a team.

Regards,

AM

I like for an annual to be 3 days long, one day side match, two days of main match.

I prefer no more than 6 stages in a day as by then my feet hurt and I'm wore out, and worse in the heat.

If the match has only one wave of shooters, team, couples, etc events can be run after lunch on the first match day, then one on one the second. I also like awards to be the evening of the second main match day, so I can head for home first thing the next morning, or even that evening if I'm closer to home.

Travel time

Cost of Match

Match Prestige

Weather

For a club Annual Match - Two days is more than enough - I keeps the clubs and my expenses down. 5 or 6 in the morning, a brief break to swallow a dog, and then the side matches in the afternoon. Day two - Shoot the rest, another dog, hand out the gold sacks and wave goodbye.

I have been to clubs where their annual was 4 days! Thursday were all kinds of side matches with black powder night. Friday was shoot, break, and shoot some more. Saturday was shoot in the morning, more side matches in afternoon. Saturday night was a big feed with awards on the range. Then they shot some more team matches on Sunday morning. It was just too much.

AND I REALLY DO HATE STOPPING FOR LUNCH!!

2-3 days is usually enough for me when considering annual club events. I typically skip side match day if on a Friday with main match stages on Sat. & Sun. I tend to skip matches altogether when main match stages are shot on a Friday & Sat. with some other match or nothing else on Sunday when the match is within 3-4 hours driving time from home.

Naturally, large events like Regional, National Championships, or World Championships demand more days for many reasons and someday I'll just have to attend some of those.

One day matches can be a lot of fun, especially for small clubs. I will drive 2 to 3 hours for a one day match of 6 stages. A nice luncheon, awards ceremony, and I am sleeping in my own bed that same night.

And you know what, the small clubs appreciate the support when you take the time to attend. A one day annual match won't have the polish of an End Of Trail or Hell On Wheels, but you will have a good time shooting with folks who really enjoy the game so much that they make an effort to show you a good time. The awards are usually handmade crafts by one of the members, and those can be pretty special.

There is lots of fun to be had at matches with a small number of shooters.

2-3 days.

Side matches on the first day.

5-6 stages on the second & third days.

Otherwise, it's just the same as a monthly.

--Dawg

I'm going to post a counter opinion. For a club annual match, I think it works out better for a one day match. Keep the posses down to 15 or less and write fast stages It's easy to do 8 stages in a day. Your not trying to compete with the state or regional matches. It keeps the cost down and if your efficient about things, your shooters will be getting out of there by 4:00 p.m. or sooner. Those that come from some distance will have time to drive home, saving even more money on motel bills. I also have the opinion that the annual match is not the time to be trying to make a profit. Keep the shooters fee to a minimum. I think it's the time to give back to the shooters that have supported your club all year. Also, unless you hold your annual match in the Summer, kids are going to be in school on Friday. If the kids don't come, neither do the parents.

Every region is different and some clubs are struggling for funds and look at the annual match as a way to raise money. You have to know your shooters and give them what they want.

for an Annual, as a shooter, I want to shoot!!! 2 days 6 to 7 stages per day. dinner the 1st night. drive home Sunday night with a trunk load of spent brass, and an ear to ear grin after shooting with friends new and old.

Of course I am just a greenhorn who loves to shoot (even with a bloody finger from a Marlin bite) :rolleyes:

a great example is the "Ides of March" Loads of fun with lots of shooters :)

Of course I had a blast at the Valdosta 1 day Annual could you imagine if it were 2 days.......Woo Hoo!!! :D

Hearing conversations on Club Annuals,(not talking about State or above matches) and some saying their cost are going up, besides travel, lodging and food for 2 days, and some because of distance and work, can only attend 1 day Club Annuals.

What length do you like for club Annuals, 1 or 2 days, and if 1 day match, how many stages? Thanks, MT

...our annual match is 2 days

...our state match is 3 days (when you count side match day)

I have never shot in any of the big matches, but I hope to next year, but here are a couple of thoughts I was having about the topic. I like both. The idea of a big two day match with lots of shooting sounds like a total blast (pun intended), and I hope to shoot in a couple of them next year. But, as a family with limited funds, that limits the amount of non local club matches that I can travel to. So the idea of a smaller annual match with maybe six or eight stages, but finished in one day with simler awards and maybe a small meal afterward has a lot of appeal for me, because it means that I could travel to more matches and meet more people.

For those clubs that are tryig to decide which way to go, here is a crazy thought...why not both? How about you run your big 2-3 day match, and then the following weekend, pick 6-8 fun stages to run in the mini annual? They would already be set up. It might also help to raizse additional funds for your local club for better equipment, and might bring more people to your club and area, and some of us that might travel to a one day mini match might have so much fun at it that we save our pennies to go to the big match with the larger fees the following year.

I know it would be more work/wear and tear for the club, but wanted to toss it out there.

Due to range limitations, our club in Az can only have a one day annual. We shoot long range to start, then 7 stages or so, then some side matches while scores are being tallied, then an early catered dinner. Kinda fun this way, but a very tiring day if you shoot it all. One unique thing about this annual match is that one stage is all pistol with reloads, one stage all rifle with reloads, one stage all shotgun, and one stage designated as the all around cowoby stage, the others normal stages. Seperate awards are given for theses four stages plus over match awards, side match awards and long range awards.

For a local club's annual, I prefer a one day eight stage match. Sign up begining at 8am, shootin starting at 9, awards at around 4pm.

I'm going to post a counter opinion. For a club annual match, I think it works out better for a one day match. Keep the posses down to 15 or less and write fast stages It's easy to do 8 stages in a day. Your not trying to compete with the state or regional matches. It keeps the cost down and if your efficient about things, your shooters will be getting out of there by 4:00 p.m. or sooner. Those that come from some distance will have time to drive home, saving even more money on motel bills. I also have the opinion that the annual match is not the time to be trying to make a profit. Keep the shooters fee to a minimum. I think it's the time to give back to the shooters that have supported your club all year. Also, unless you hold your annual match in the Summer, kids are going to be in school on Friday. If the kids don't come, neither do the parents.

Every region is different and some clubs are struggling for funds and look at the annual match as a way to raise money. You have to know your shooters and give them what they want.

Have to agree with you. Our club has 8 stage Annuals, starts at 9AM, and has always finished by 1:30 and 2PM (slow shooters). Feast and awards finished by 4PM. Yours, Ft White, along with many other clubs, hold an above standards for a 1 day Annual, that feels like a bigger match.

Breaking for lunch after 3 stages, does nothing but disrupt my flow, and concentration. Not a favorite of one, and if there is more then 1 match available, I'll sign up for the one without lunch break. MT

Hi Again,

Some folks I adore have a one day annual. I don't go, even though I'd love to see them. It's a long drive for one day. The only place I'd go for a one day match is my closest club, which is about a 35 minute drive.

After a two hour lunch at one annual, we finished the first three stages at 11:00 and were not allowed to resume until 1:00, I've decided not to return. Its other strike was driving distance and value for the price. However, if that 2 hour lunch happened at a local club, I'd pass on it also.

To each his/her own.

Regards,

Allie Mo

As for the breaking for lunch- I can shoot through- But there are many shooters who really can't (even though they will try). Even at our monthly matches we force a break. Some of our elderly pards really need a chance to sit down and rest for a few minutes. I know some of you will say they can rest when others are shooting, but if you watch it is those that need the break are the ones doing all the work.

Depends on the club. At some of the clubs I shoot at if you had a one day "annual" it wouldn't be any different than a monthly match. If you are going much over 100 shooters it pretty much has to be two days or you can't get in enough stages.

As for the breaking for lunch- I can shoot through- But there are many shooters who really can't (even though they will try). Even at our monthly matches we force a break. Some of our elderly pards really need a chance to sit down and rest for a few minutes. I know some of you will say they can rest when others are shooting, but if you watch it is those that need the break are the ones doing all the work.

Not sure I buy that reason.

None. And an mean None or the clubs around here break for lunch.

And we seem to get through it in the Texas Heat.

If you got people letting those that NEED to take a break doing all the work.

Then they need a talking to.

Sounds like you just got some lazy folks that need a kick in the pants.

So those the NEED to sit and take a break can.

Travel time

Cost of Match

Match Prestige

Weather

For a club Annual Match - Two days is more than enough - I keeps the clubs and my expenses down. 5 or 6 in the morning, a brief break to swallow a dog, and then the side matches in the afternoon. Day two - Shoot the rest, another dog, hand out the gold sacks and wave goodbye.

I have been to clubs where their annual was 4 days! Thursday were all kinds of side matches with black powder night. Friday was shoot, break, and shoot some more. Saturday was shoot in the morning, more side matches in afternoon. Saturday night was a big feed with awards on the range. Then they shot some more team matches on Sunday morning. It was just too much.

AND I REALLY DO HATE STOPPING FOR LUNCH!!

Hey!

Don't tell anyone, I agree with AoH again.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Another +1 for not stopping for lunch.

Heck. Just as everything is getting into a groove. They want to stop.

That never made sense to me.

Have to agree with you. Our club has 8 stage Annuals, starts at 9AM, and has always finished by 1:30 and 2PM (slow shooters). Feast and awards finished by 4PM. Yours, Ft White, along with many other clubs, hold an above standards for a 1 day Annual, that feels like a bigger match.

Breaking for lunch after 3 stages, does nothing but disrupt my flow, and concentration. Not a favorite of one, and if there is more then 1 match available, I'll sign up for the one without lunch break. MT

Check with your vendors. Most of us prefer a lunch break. It offers shooters another opportunity to visit the vendors. if you have a food vendor, they'd much prefer that a lunch break be taken, since most shooters will likely be tired and anxious to load up and leave when the day's shooting is done, bypassing the vendors altogether! I've done it both ways and as a shooter it makes little difference to me. Taking a lunch break does sometimes disrupt my rythm, but I figure it's likely to do the same to most others as well, so the "playing field" is level.

+1 on the needs of many shooters. Elderly and diabetics in particular!!

Archived