SASS Wire Forum

What's Your Favorite Recipe for Grits?

John Boy

Two eggs over easy, put grits on top of the eggs, mix everything together. :wub:

Yes, and add a dollop of honey, a little fresh cream, then toss the whole dish into the trash, bowl and all! Any crockery that's come into contact with grits must be thrown out, with the grits!

Dang! Grits just give me the cold, screamin' shivers!

Larsen E. Pettifogger said "25 grains of BP, grits and a 200 grain bullet."

(I use 26 grains of BP, grits and a 200gr bullet.)

--------

Black Harris said, "If you must use filler, use cocoa - it smells better"

(Cocoa certainly does smell good.(

--------

Safety Notice...

DO NOT use coffee grounds as filler. Especially straight out of the can. There's a story behind this. Just take my word. No coffee grounds as filler. I will say at this time, I am very glad I was using Ruger Old Model Vaqueros or I might have had a lot of small parts in my hands. Think 5.5" barrels and 1600'/sec+ with 12 grain BP, filler and 200gr bullet. . .There were witnesses.

You guys are making me hungry.......Buttered grits over scrambled eggs with cheese, sausage and bacon. Mix it all up and put cold apple sauce over top of it. I'm not kiddin......try it some time.

The grits and fish are good too.

CS

Follow the instruction on the box. Boil water, add grits cook till very thick. Most times you'll have to add more grits than called for on the box. Add butter, salt & pepper to suit your personal taste. Been eatin em that way since I was in 3 cornered britches. The most disgusting way I've read on here is writtin by a bunch of yankees. Yuk! Grits is a southern dish and not a cereal or desert. :P

Tried Grits once. Took the almost full box and set it on the mail box thinking some one who actually liked them would take 'em. Looked out my window to check on them a few hours latter and there were now three almost full boxes settin' out there.

I have 'em with some butter (Olivio) on 'em and a sprinkle of grated cheese like Parmesan or Romano. Italians have been making grits for centuries, it's called Polenta and it's very similiar to grits. It's corn meal.

Rye :)

Howdy:

Polenta (corn meal mush) fried in butter is what my mom did with the leftoverovers from beakfast - My school used to insert chili beans into it, bread it and deep fry it - I loved it - some folks didn't - guess they weren't hungry.

Grits (like the box says, boil em, salt and pepper, butter) and if you are wealthy enough a soft boiled egg or loos fried egg stirred in make a wonderfull breakfast.

STL Suomi

Follow the instruction on the box. Boil water, add grits cook till very thick. Most times you'll have to add more grits than called for on the box. Add butter, salt & pepper to suit your personal taste. Been eatin em that way since I was in 3 cornered britches. The most disgusting way I've read on here is writtin by a bunch of yankees. Yuk! Grits is a southern dish and not a cereal or desert. :P

Yep that's the way I make them except I have always used milk instead of water. Creamier, and I use sea salt.

I always used to complain when Dead Head (a true southern boy in New England) used them in his loads years back that shooting with him always made me hungry.

Shooting them in guns is like a golf course - a real waste of nature. :angry:

Put the grits into a brown paper bag, and toss them into the trash can. For 30+ yrs I traveled to OKC to attend Engineering classes at the FAA's Aeronautical Academy. Every morning at breakfast the waitresses would ask "how do you wont yer grits?".... She never ask if wanted them, just how I wanted them! I HATE grits!

Snakebite

Grits - The Breakfast that Sticks to the Ribs!

* Pour grits into bowl and cover with water or milk

* A dash of salt, sea salt gives a better flavor

* Put in microwave and cook for 4 minutes, 30 seconds. Watch so boil doesn't spill over the bowl

* Add 3 pats of butter - let melt, a liberal sprinkling of cinnamon, good dose of of maple syrup

* Then pour more milk or cream on grits

* Add your favorite fruit, I like blue berries or straw berries. Seedless grapes also go well

Enjoy!

BTW, my guns have never tasted grits ;)

2 cups grits, one scant cup AP or SR flour, two eggs, about 1 1/2 to 2 cups buttermilk. If using AP flour, 1 TBS baking powder, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt.

Set oven heating to 425o F, put black iron skillet on the stove over a medium flame, add a few TBS of shortening, bacon grease, butter, or lard.

Mix all dry ingredients with a whisk or fork. Add eggs and buttermilk (may need to add a bit more to make a smooth batter). Mix well, pour in the hot grease, return skillet to flame, pour batter into screaming hot skillet. Turn off stove, put skillet in oven for about 35 min. Your grits have now been transformed into corn bread, golden brown and delicious. Cut into wedges, slather with butter and honey.

ADDED: Reading what John Boy posted reminded me - a generous pinch of allspice is a nice addition.

I use Quik Grits up to @ 1/32" from the top of my case (45 lc) topped with a 200 grn RNFP with a tight crimp.

Prepare them per instructions on box, put in plastic container in the refrigerator overnight. dump chilled grits out on cutting board and slice into 1/2" thick slices and fry them in bacon grease till golden brown. you won't find a better tasting side for eggs anywhere.

Mackenna

Two eggs over easy, put grits on top of the eggs, mix everything together. :wub:

Stir in some crumbled bacon or sausage. Buttered toast (real butter) on the side. Save half a piece of toast to wipe the bowl and eat it for the finish. Nothing wasted!!

When I was young we some times had a side of grits with fried fish with just a little of the frying pan grease stirred into the grits.. Or if fresh garden tomatoes were available, cut the tomato into small cubes and stir into the grits.

Grits in you're BP loads??? You guys are weenies! :P

Fill up case to about 1/8" from the top with real BP, now that's a man's load! .44-40 or .45!!!

Grits belong on the breakfast table or sometimes with dinner!

Rye :D

Make mine into Corn Pone ,,, butter well (real Butter),,,, eat with Bacon ,,,,,,Eggs,,,,,, Honey ,,,, Ham,,,,, And eat !!!

It dont belong in Cartridges !!!!

That's what Real Black Powder is for ......

Jabez Cowboy

Archived