SASS Wire Forum

Theft & Motels in Phoenix

Dapper Dynamite Dick

On another form I was told that there is a problem with theft from cars in motels in Phoenix. I was hoping that during my trip this winter to leave all my ammo in the SUV rather than drag it up to the room. And thoughts or recommendations?

On another form I was told that there is a problem with theft from cars in motels in Phoenix. I was hoping that during my trip this winter to leave all my ammo in the SUV rather than drag it up to the room. And thoughts or recommendations?

We leave our Ammo in the car but never the Guns, never had a problem.

KK

Out of sight -out of mind. My dad always told me that car locks -and locks in general, only keep honest folks honest. I don't leave anything anywhere that I'm not prepared to give away.........

A simple test for me is, "How would I feel if it was gone when I return?" Anyone can break into a modern, auto-door lock vehicle in less time than it takes to create this post. And if you think guns locked in a car are safe, consider that all your guns have 4 wheels under them just waiting for someone to drive them away.

Even cars in the parking lot at Winter Range have been robbed!

One of these days some range somewhere is going to offer their customers an Armory with check-in/check-out and save us all this dilemna.

A simple test for me is, "How would I feel if it was gone when I return?" Anyone can break into a modern, auto-door lock vehicle in less time than it takes to create this post. And if you think guns locked in a car are safe, consider that all your guns have 4 wheels under them just waiting for someone to drive them away.

Even cars in the parking lot at Winter Range have been robbed!

One of these days some range somewhere is going to offer their customers an Armory with check-in/check-out and save us all this dilemna.

There are Sheriff's officers on duty in the parking lot all the time. Their command trailer is in the parking lot. We are meeting with the Sheriff's Office tonight. Are you sure about that?

There are Sheriff's officers on duty in the parking lot all the time. Their command trailer is in the parking lot. We are meeting with the Sheriff's Office tonight. Are you sure about that?

Yes, I am absolutely positive. I was there when it happened and everyone was talking about it. The car was parked three rows from the street and the guns were in the trunk. They probably watched them put them away. That parking lot is HUGE and as secure as one could attempt to make it, but seriously... if you were bent on stealing guns... wouldn't you go to a place where there are lots (pun intended) full of them?

Yes, I am absolutely positive. I was there when it happened and everyone was talking about it. The car was parked three rows from the street and the guns were in the trunk. They probably watched them put them away. That parking lot is HUGE and as secure as one could attempt to make it, but seriously... if you were bent on stealing guns... wouldn't you go to a place where there are lots (pun intended) full of them?

What year did it happen? Never heard of it. With all of Sheriff Joe's folks all over the parking lot, it would take a brave sole to break into a vehicle in that parking lot.

What year did it happen? Never heard of it. With all of Sheriff Joe's folks all over the parking lot, it would take a brave sole to break into a vehicle in that parking lot.

More like need'n a 'fix' makes for people do'n STUPID things.

LG

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

I've bolted a gunsafe in the truck we usually take to multi-day shoots.

I also have a fuel shutoff valve that is hidden. The engine won't start until I turn it on.

I'm still NOT going to leave any shooting irons in the truck, though.

Mustang Gregg

A 'red-light' is the NRA, SASS gunstickers on your car.

^This

I proudly wear those stickers on my vehicles but, I also realize they're advertisements for what I may have in those vehicles. For that reason I do NOT leave guns in them.

As far as ammo is concerned, I'm going to GUESS that would be too much hassle for crooks to deal with. They're looking for valuables that are easily grabbed and sold. Ammo doesn't fit that bill.

^This

I proudly wear those stickers on my vehicles but, I also realize they're advertisements for what I may have in those vehicles. For that reason I do NOT leave guns in them.

As far as ammo is concerned, I'm going to GUESS that would be too much hassle for crooks to deal with. They're looking for valuables that are easily grabbed and sold. Ammo doesn't fit that bill.

As a former LEO, trust me when I say.....CROOKS WILL STEAL EVERYDANGTHING THEY CAN!

LG

Yup! When they asked Willie Sutton (google him) why he robbed banks, he answered contemptuously, "That's where the money is!"

I've know folks that have had their guns (and other items) stolen for their vehicle. Most often it was at hotels. Never ever leave anything that you value unattended. If you value it, some a$$hole wants to steal it.

As far as taking your ammo up to the room.......hell yes. Ammo and everything else in the car that would be considered valuable. Radar detector, laptops, etc, ect. Get yourself one of those collapsable hand trucks. They don't take too much room and are a labor saver.

Gotta say, the "Sharpie" device worries me. Was not aware of that....doesn't surprise me though.

CS

Last time I was at Winter Range , the motel where I stayed had two vehicles broken into in the parking areas. I think one was a Cowboy shooter , the other was not , but did have a gun or guns stolen.

This was in 2005 or 2006 , don't remember for sure. Was at the Motel 6 on north side of Phoenix. Was the year of much rain , I DO remember that. What a mess!!

Good luck , Rex :D

I know some Pards that lock their guns in their car which is parked in their driveway the night before a match.

I won't even do that cuz my car has been broken into 3 times since we moved into our nice safe sub-division.

Last time they got about 2.50 in coins that I keep in the beverage holder for tolls.

Rotten SOB's

Hotels or Motels aren't great for storing guns either.

I usually decline maid service when traveling with guns.

No point in letting everyone in the motel know through the maid that the guy in Room 115 has a bunch of cowboy guns.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it.:lol:/>

Waimea

:FlagAm:/>

I know everybody cannot do this, but when staying in motels pick a motel where the rooms open onto the parking lot, not the type that have an interior hallway like most Super8s. When making a reservation request a ground floor room and park right outside your door. Make sure your alarm is on. And keep a loaded gun on the night table when you're in your room. If you leave to go to a restaurant park where you can see your vehicle from the dining room. If you're in NM or AZ or any state that allows open carry you may want to do so. Some scumbag that sees you going to or from your room may just think twice if he knows your armed.

Nothing is fool proof. But do everything you can to prevent theft.

i'm pretty sure that CLW and Single Barrel didnt lose any guns, but two full leather rigs and accessories like redwing knives, still run a grand to replace, not to mention the buckles they cant replace.

also for those with truck vaults, Rico had his entire rig towed off one night at the motel. set the parking brake and back it in as well.

CC

Illegals and mules are always looking for vehicles for smuggling from Mexico also. They will take them from hotel/motel lots, restaurants, and anywhere else they find one that would fit the purpose for their illegal trafficking. Just ask Evil Roy!

Four Bucks

My system is to make reservations for a ground-level room that opens directly onto my parking space. I back right up to the door and everything in my trunk goes into the room. In the morning, everything in the room (except clothing) goes into the car. If I can't arrange that, I make reservations at a motel that furnishes those huge luggage carts and everything goes to the room and back to the car in a single trip. If it's a place I know really well, I'll take a chance: One motel I often stay at, I somehow left my wallet in the room for the day; when I got back, everything around it had been moved, but the wallet was exactly where I'd set it down.

The suggestion for a folding cart of your own is also a good one. Staples sells one with a 200-lb capacity for $50. It's also good for shlepping steel targets out to the long-range bay.

Muleshoe Bill, That is classic!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Gives new meaning to ""KEEPIN the Monkey on your back!!!!!""

OkD

Archived