SASS Wire Forum

Growing Pains?

Misty Moonshine

The Single Action Shooting Society® was formed to preserve and promote the sport of Cowboy Action Shooting™, and consequentially, SASS and Cowboy Action Shooting™ continues to grow in numbers across the country and around the world.

2012 began with a thorough reevaluation of SASS sanctioned events across the country. During that process, a clear need for some re-organization arose.

Nearly half of all SASS members call the Eastern half of the United States home, and the Regional(s) in that area are busting at the seams. In addition to proposing revisions to the current Regional structure, the notion of a large, SASS sanctioned championship match in the east is also being entertained.

SASS, Cowboy Action Shooting™ Clubs, as well as the State, Regional, and National Match programs have never been “close the gate behind ya” organizations. When growth is experienced, we are (happily!) tasked with the addition of clubs and sanctioned matches to answer the demand and to ensure the continued enjoyment, growth, and promotion of the sport, in every corner of the world.

Winter Range has hosted the one and only SASS National Championship for many years, and their stellar performance, dedication, and hard work is celebrated not only by us, but worldwide. Winter Range will continue to offer THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP of Cowboy Action Shooting™, with the full support, sanctioning, and endorsement of SASS.

Alright, Cowboys and Cowgirls, let’s call a spade a spade – I’m calling a FALSE START on this one!! What was intended to be preliminary and exploratory discussions became declared intentions. Clearly there was miscommunication here, and our intentions … well, you know what they say … the road to hell is paved with good intentions!

Moving forward into 2013, if the sanctioning of a large caliber match is coordinated in the East, it will not be a National Championship. THE National Championship has a home- in Phoenix with Winter Range. However, we do have several outstanding host organizations in the East that are interested in taking their annual event to the next level, and we are in discussions regarding how to help make that happen. An Eastern Divisional Championship? Maybe. Will that mean we need a Western Divisional Championship, too? Maybe.

There are many things to consider, work to be done, and decisions to be made.

One thing is for certain—we will not make a decision until every single detail is considered, and each party/club/board involved is consulted—and then we will make the decision that is best for our members … ALL our members.

Best,

Misty Moonshine

Hi Misty,

I find this all a bit confusing and concerning, especially after reading the following post. The red font is mine.

The folks in the East have been the step-child for years. SASS has finally responded to the shooters for a SASS major event on the East coast.

The match is still going to be called the Mason Dixon Stampede, and will continue to be the same caliber of match that earned it the SASS Match Of The Year Award a few years back.

At this point, the regional states we covered will be folded into the east's regionals but those details are not finalized.

Winter Range will be the Western National and the Mason Dixon Stampede will be the Eastern National.

This is a win - win for everybody.

The agreement was not finalized until this past weekend so some of the finer details are not available yet.

The final dividing line between East and West is still being worked on but I am certain it will be announced soon.

The match date will be the same as this year with a day or two added to include a Wild Bunch championship.

We have been working with SASS for months and now that it is a done deal, we have a lot of work to do, so be patient. Once we finalize dates and a schedule, it will be posted.

We appreciate the trust that SASS has placed in us to host their Eastern National.

Roo

Regards,

Allie Mo

Misty,

as always, you wade right into the raging seas and offer a calming and well thought out response. i hope the WB never under value what you do for them and us.

i still dont agree witht he thought process. a good match will draw shooters from everywhere no matter what you call it, in contrast no matter the title, shooters wont attend a match that they dont enjoy, thats been proven time and again.

cc

Thank you for the update Misty

The single biggest problem with our information technology today is that the speed of something getting out of hand is so fast that it is near impossible to keep people informed without having everyone elses version hitting the street at the same time.

I do appreciate your efforts though.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Guest Texas Jack Black

The end result still seems to be a dilution of WR whether intentional or not .Will WR see the unintended consequences of more and more major events?

No matter if WR is called the National Championship, Championship of the Universe or Maricopa County Championship, it's still one of the best SASS events on the calendar.

The stage writing, props, volunteers and location are second to none. Not to mention the group of people that are the driving force behind the scene.

If you want to see how good of a shooter you are, WR is the place to find out.

Regards,

Swiss

End of Trail = International Championship

Winter Range = National Championship

To be determined = Eastern Division Championship (Might even divide into North East and South East)

To be determined = Western Division Championship (Might even divide into North West and South West)

Regional = No change

State = No change

Groin pains..... yeah, I had them yesterday, but feel much better today after reading your sensible post.

Snakebite

Hi Misty,

I find this all a bit confusing and concerning, especially after reading the following post. The red font is mine.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Still pretty confusing. Looks like two completely different plans here. Which is correct? Was this really announced at the Mason Dixon Stampede? Maybe someone who was there could explain what was announced. :blink:

Still pretty confusing. Looks like two completely different plans here. Which is correct? Was this really announced at the Mason Dixon Stampede? Maybe someone who was there could explain what was announced. :blink:

I was there. I heard that the MDS will become the Eastern National Championship. Everyone seemed excited including me as Winter Range is a lot of Obama-diesel gallons away for me & mine. Hi Allie Mo!

I was there. I heard that the MDS will become the Eastern National Championship. Everyone seemed excited including me as Winter Range is a lot of Obama-diesel gallons away for me & mine. Hi Allie Mo!

Eastern National would seem to be almost an oxymoran. Only a politician would equate Eastern with National. Fortunately the SASS office has spoken and the "National" part of the new Eastern shoot is no more, i.e. there is only one National Championship, WR.

Misty-Thanks for jumping in and clarifying this. Winter Range is the National Champion and EOT is the World Championship. We will continue to support both.

I'm looking forward to a big match in Maryland if one gets scheduled. I worked there for a few years and still have friends I like to visit. Fall when the maples are all red is a great time to be there weatherwise but a Spring match when the cherry blossoms are in full bloom around the Capitol is great too.

Will Maryland gun laws let us bring pocket pistols for side matches?

Misty, I don't know what your minute by minute routine ther at SASS is like but, they couldn't pay me enough to put up with the crap you have to deal with here on the Wire. I sure hope the Wild bunch appreciates you as much as we do. Thanks for everything you do for all os us. :wub:

I heard the Baptist Category will be SASS approved and sanctioned at THE 2013 Southeast National Championship which will be held in Nome, Alaska right after the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race. :unsure:

Well Folks ,,,,,,,,,,,,, Now ya seen it DAMAGE CONTROL !!!!

And done very Well !!!!

When Ya step-in-it big time ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Spin it ...

Jabez Cowboy

And yes I talked to someone at WR ...................

And I'm sure this will be pulled.....

Hi Rowdy!

I'm so happy for you that your daughter will be shooting with you!

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hi Misty,

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hi Allie (and everyone!),

I appreciate the confusion and concern, as I share it! As was stated, this was a gross miscommunication.

Chuckaroo, the Mason Dixon Stampede/Thurmont, AND Winter Range-- none have spoken nothing but the truth as it was presented to them.

The communication breakdown lies within the Wild Bunch and I, and we take full responsibility for that.

We express our heartfelt and sincere apologies to everyone involved. Particularly to Winter Range, Chuckaroo, and The Mason Dixon Stampede Group.

This turned into quite a mess, which- yes, we are trying to make right. I look forward to a resolution that will make everyone happy, if possible.

Best,

Misty

I appreciate the confusion and concern, as I share it! As was stated, this was a gross miscommunication.

Chuckaroo, the Mason Dixon Stampede/Thurmont, AND Winter Range-- none have spoken nothing but the truth as it was presented to them.

The communication breakdown lies within the Wild Bunch and I, and we take full responsibility for that.

We express our heartfelt and sincere apologies to everyone involved. Particularly to Winter Range, Chuckaroo, and The Mason Dixon Stampede Group.

This turned into quite a mess, which- yes, we are trying to make right. I look forward to a resolution that will make everyone happy, if possible.

Best,

Misty

Now THIS is the cowboy way. I'm sure most folks appreciate this statement. I know that I do. :wub:

Misty;

Past experience (before your time) was what made me say that....

All the best to you as you set out to make things right ...

This all has greatly increased my desire to shoot WR ,,,,,, Sooner than Later ...

Jabez Cowboy

Wouldn't it be nice if our politicians adopted the same methodology as Misty? Instead of "Duck, cover, and lie," it's "Show up, take the heat, and explain."

And one more thing; I know i'm not the only one who has seen myraid improvements in how SASS has been going about its business, lately. They seem to be making a real effort to service their consumer base, that is, US! I expect Misty is a driving force, there.

I never saw any official announcement about Winter Range, did you?

So when something comes down the pike, how about instead of grabbing nooses, we give them a chance to say what's going on?

Just a thought,

FJT

Best,

Misty

Misty,

Thank you.

Chuckaroo

Mr. Turner,

That is a couple of +1's from me. So, I guess that would make it +2? :0).

Hey Knobby, we're goin' to WR again in '13; see ya there?

And done very Well !!!!

Jabez Cowboy

And lets just keep our heads down when we don't have a dog in this fight???

Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129, on 11 October 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

And done very Well !!!!

Jabez Cowboy

Winter must be early up North ...........

Archived