SASS Wire Forum

If you don't like it,change it.

Title says it all. Over ten years ago I jumped feet first into this game and almost pretty much started helping out at my local club right away. I have always felt don't be part of the problem be part of the solution. We did things waaaaaayyy different in those days. Targets have changed,stages have changed and guns have changed. But ten years later some of the same guys are still complaining. Yet they are still the first ones out of the parking lot when the shoot is over. The good news is many have learned that all they do is complain and quit enabling them a long time ago. But they still get ahold of a newer shooter every now and then to try to join their campaingn. If you don't like the matches it's simple. Start your own. How convicted are you? Myself and and others have put our time and money where are mouth is. The game is where it is today for a reason, that's where folks want it. Good match directors listen to the what the majority of the customers want. EOT listened this year. Lots of smiling faces on the range. I can't wait to go back. Talk to your club and get approval,set your schedule,get some volunteers (or be a lone wolf),find a score keeper,decide if you are gonna serve lunch or not,advertise and promote your shoot,write stages and set steel. There you have it you are in business. If you are in misery playing this game maybe it's time for a break, many folks let their own personal stuff overflow into other things they do and thats not productive for anybody. But why can't I just offfer to set some matches and write stages at the match that is already established and flex in the changes I would like to see there? Should be pretty easy right? No,if I'm a match director that has worked hard to help build a match up then I'm not going to be willing to just let it go and see what happens. Or maybe that would be a eye opener.My main point is nothing gets done with words or years worth of complaints,only action talks in the end. All it takes is some time and lots of hard work. Well I've probably said too much already. I'll be waiting with my flame retardent suit on.

No need for a flame retardant suit here. I agree 100% . Have a happy and safe Independence Day!

:) Rye

Title says it all. Over ten years ago I jumped feet first into this game and almost pretty much started helping out at my local club right away. I have always felt don't be part of the problem be part of the solution. We did things waaaaaayyy different in those days. Targets have changed,stages have changed and guns have changed. But ten years later some of the same guys are still complaining. Yet they are still the first ones out of the parking lot when the shoot is over. The good news is many have learned that all they do is complain and quit enabling them a long time ago. But they still get ahold of a newer shooter every now and then to try to join their campaingn. If you don't like the matches it's simple. Start your own. How convicted are you? Myself and and others have put our time and money where are mouth is. The game is where it is today for a reason, that's where folks want it. Good match directors listen to the what the majority of the customers want. EOT listened this year. Lots of smiling faces on the range. I can't wait to go back. Talk to your club and get approval,set your schedule,get some volunteers (or be a lone wolf),find a score keeper,decide if you are gonna serve lunch or not,advertise and promote your shoot,write stages and set steel. There you have it you are in business. If you are in misery playing this game maybe it's time for a break, many folks let their own personal stuff overflow into other things they do and thats not productive for anybody. But why can't I just offfer to set some matches and write stages at the match that is already established and flex in the changes I would like to see there? Should be pretty easy right? No,if I'm a match director that has worked hard to help build a match up then I'm not going to be willing to just let it go and see what happens. Or maybe that would be a eye opener.My main point is nothing gets done with words or years worth of complaints,only action talks in the end. All it takes is some time and lots of hard work. Well I've probably said too much already. I'll be waiting with my flame retardent suit on.

I totally agree with you Deuce. That is exactly what I did over 20 yrs ago, and am still doing right now. I am always willing to listen to new ideas, but am much more likely to actually hear them if the person making them is willing to get involved in putting them into effect. There will always be those who show up, shoot, and go home, without lifting a finger to help out the club in any way... I certainly don't turn those folks away, but it's kinda like voting... if you don't vote, then you have little or no right to complain.

Snakebite

Works for me Deuce.

I'm almost at 20 years. The game has gotten faster and more competive. I never have been a top competitor....don't do it for the trophy...I do it for the people. Folks that jump in and getter dun don't do it for any reason other than the love of the sport and wanting to spread the message.

That's why we have Regulator acknowledgement of that effort.

IMHO

Big plus one from me.... and add in that an ocassional thanks to the people that do the work. So let me say to you and the other small handfull at each club THANKS and Have a Happy Fourth.

Well said.

KK

The only addition I would make to this: If you've been running your matches in a certain way, people have an expectation that the next match is going to be run in a similar manner.

If, for example, you decide that your next match is going to have a stage with 24 unregulated shotgun targets to be shot with pistol, rifle and shotgun and there aren't going to be any makeups...LET PEOPLE KNOW IN ADVANCE!!! There is nothing more frustrating than traveling for an hour or two and finding that you're going to need different ammo. THAT is what the shooters expect the MD to do.

If you decide that you aren't going have a vendor serve lunch (paid for by the shooters) and you've always had lunch available....let people know. Some folks with blood sugar issues tend to always have an emergency supply of nutrients with them. But, some good ol' boys might have skipped breakfast because the vendor always has something tasty. Let people know.

That's my only gripes.

Unless you make me shoot on a posse with Korupt Karl when he's wearing one of them psychedelic shirts that he picks up off of homeless guys in Haight Ashbury.

I started this sport about the same time as Snakebite. Yes the game has changed but so have I. I've never been as good a CAS shooter as I am now. I am looking to get better as the newer competitors around me are getting faster. I am still improving and one of these days I'm gonna get serious. I have never had as much fun or looked forward to a match like I do now.

Yeah, I know a person or two like you talk about but, every once in a while I'll see one of them help a new shooter or a kid and I know there's good there after all. I don't know many people like you speak of. I guess in our area, they just go away and we are left with the creme of the crop.

Fillmore

Well said Duce....And by the way you run one of the best matches in this part of the country..RANGE WAR

Also a big plus-one!! I have watched videos of were you shoot, looks like you Guys have a great time! Hope some day to make it up north and shoot with your group!

Happy 4th of July Deuce! ~ I went to Range War for the first time last year and found it to be the best thing I ever participated in. You're the Match Director there and the complainers should attend to get a feel of what a fantastic time it is for ALL. You also know that if you need me to do anything I'll be there.....Good job....carry on.

Even though I am FLAMER DAMMIT :lol: ...you'll get no flamin' from me.

See ya Saturday..

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Duece your a doer! We have in this part of the country had alot of folks helping improve everyones experence. Theres always gona be nasayers. But when ya hear all the pards a laughing and saying they can't wait tell they meet up again. Well the sport lives on! NBC

Deuce has wisdom beyond his years - He's almost too young to have figured this out :lol:

I know what ya mean - when I talk with him it's like talkin' to an older brother.....:D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

You are right Deuce !

I have made a mistake listing to some of the older shooter.

Telling me story's about the good old days.

You have been the biggest influence on me and meany others in this game .

I thank you for that.

Some times I just need some one to put me back on track .

You gritting mad at me and then reading this post I can see I was wrong, and I admit it.

You and some of your main Pards have blazed a trail for all of us hear at home to,

have the great club's and the great shoots we have here .

I hope you will forgive my ignorance and except my apology .

This is the same game it was when I started, and fell in love with.

Your Friend Rooster .

Happy Independence Day to All. :FlagAm:

God bless.

The only addition I would make to this: If you've been running your matches in a certain way, people have an expectation that the next match is going to be run in a similar manner.

If, for example, you decide that your next match is going to have a stage with 24 unregulated shotgun targets to be shot with pistol, rifle and shotgun and there aren't going to be any makeups...LET PEOPLE KNOW IN ADVANCE!!! There is nothing more frustrating than traveling for an hour or two and finding that you're going to need different ammo. THAT is what the shooters expect the MD to do.

If you decide that you aren't going have a vendor serve lunch (paid for by the shooters) and you've always had lunch available....let people know. Some folks with blood sugar issues tend to always have an emergency supply of nutrients with them. But, some good ol' boys might have skipped breakfast because the vendor always has something tasty. Let people know.

That's my only gripes.

Unless you make me shoot on a posse with Korupt Karl when he's wearing one of them psychedelic shirts that he picks up off of homeless guys in Haight Ashbury.

...and I thought you liked my shirts...and point of record I did pay for the shirts so to speak....I swapped em some cheap whiskey for em....and one of em was formerly a tablecloth at Bob Evans.

KK

Guest Chance Ramsay, SASS#18962

Well said Deuce. As for E.O.T.the lady and I were on a great posse and the shoot was a lot better than last year.

Chance

Well said and thanks for all the hard work. Hope to shoot with you some day.

You hit that square on the head Deuce!

Too many times some club members stir up animosity, make acusations, complain about how the shoots aren't as much fun as they used to be and bad mouth the folks that work to make things better. They are the same people that don't show up on Range work days, won't get involved and operate under the philosophy that "nothing is impossible if you don't have to do it yourself."

They shouldn't be tolerated!

My $.02.

I too got caught in the "old timer" wailing about how good it used to be.

Took me a while to figure it out. Now I try hard to make things go well at our shoots.

How about that ... a positive thread with positive feedback. I could not agree more with the OP. Well written by a dedicated member of the "Git-er-dun" club!

CR

Well put young Grasshopper.

As you travel through life you will find that SASS is no different than any other social organization run mainly by volunteers. These thing I now know:

A lot of people show up for the fun and go home smiling.

A few people work their fingers to the bone to put on the event.

Some just complain about everything but they're not about to get off their butts and do anything.

It must be human nature cause I've seen it time and time again. :rolleyes:

So like the song says...keep on the sunny side of life. ;)

I started a while back #8595

locally I have been a doo-er

lead-follow-er-git out of the way (kinda) feller,

over the many years,, I have helped all local clubs in one way er-another

but BEST > I really enjoy winter range and eot type of shoots

my regionial shoot really rocks too

......yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-hawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww......

tally-hoe ;)

Archived