SASS Wire Forum

Retirees: What do you do with your time?

I know that my retirement isn't for a couple of years yet, but the way time flies, that'll be here before we know it.

I'm concerned about what I'm going to do with my time.

You skilled retired types: What do you do with you time?? :blush:

Birdgun :unsure: Quail

Except for the obvious, shooting, re-loading. I spend time at the local VFW and helping restore some of their displays. I spend a lot of time helping at my church, painting, landscaping, cutting lawn, yes, even washing windows.

Other hobbies, setting up finally for a "N" scale layout, and building Dioramas, adding to my WW2 Luftwaffe and USAAF collections. MT

I assist in taking care of my Grandkids.... No money but I get paid in hugs....

Lately, lots of funerals...:angry:

I asked this question to a couple of retired guys at church. Here is what they said.

Richard: I couldn't tell you what I do with my time; but I'm always busy.

Howard: Nothing. And I don't start that until 2:00 p.m.

Well that didn't much help answer my question...

Birdgun :unsure::blush: Quail

Let's see now, I retired in 2002 from American Airlines in AFW/Texas.

Since I retired I started a 1 man Handyman Service in restricted living

neighborhood (55+) to help the older folks (LOL)and I also have another

Hobby/business www.Quickdrawsigns.com where I make & sell Signs--Gun Carts--Ammo Boxes.

I also work as the Range Wrangler at our club "5 Dogs Creek" here in Bakersfield.

Then there's my full time job24/7 it's caller HONEY DO OR ELSE

which is run by my wonderful Wife. So far I have no complaints except the one's.....

Well you don't want to know, I start getting cranky when I think about it!!

Just a little hint...Government--Obama--Government--Obama--getting older--Obama!

Happy trails and God bless America!

Quick Draw Grandpa :D

Alias: Mike

I'll be following this thread with interest... not that it'll do me much good!

Folks ask when I plan to retire, and my standard answer is "Oh, 'bout a week to ten days after I die. Someone's gonna say 'Hey, somebody check on ol' Hardpan there at his desk... he ain't said much for a while and he's startin' to smell funny!'" :rolleyes:

Even then, I suspect they'll use me as a doorstop or some such for a bit to make sure they get their last nickel outta me! :mellow:

You skilled retired types: What do you do with you time?? :blush:

Birdgun :unsure: Quail

Anything I want. :lol:

You won't wonder long. Since the wife still works, I go through my morning routine of taking out the trash, doing laundry, starting the dishwasher, making the bed, and sous chefing supper. That on top of grocery shopping and the cleaners once a week.

Then I check email to see if any of the three web sites that I built and run need updating; if anyone is asking me questions about SASS since I'm listed as TG for a couple of clubs; I write stages for the clubs; I build props. Dynamite and I run the Mima Marauders, so we are always at the range doing cleanup -- picking wads, burning trash, weed eating, spraying, mowing, hauling gravel, etc. I tend to do the wood work for the club, and he does the metal work. He just finished making us 8 more stands, and flattening 9 targets with his 20-ton press. We will be starting on our sixth false front shortly, and having Dori do her magic art work:

Painting the livery stable

Painting the Saloon

Then there are the matches to attend, matches to help set up, reloading to do, guns to clean...

After a while, you'll be wondering why you quit work. You never worked so hard on the job. :blink::wacko:

And any time I want to do it. If I don't want to do it now, it will wait until I do.

Naps are good on rainy days and we get a lot of rainy days.

I think you are over thinking this Birdgun. Today, I cleaned and oiled my M1 just because I wanted to.

That's exactly what I was going to say.

One thing's for sure, though, I'm so busy now that I don't see how I ever found time for work! :lol:

I have been retired for almost seven years and I still haven't figured out how I had time to do anything when I was working. I ride a bicycle and go to my local gym two-three times a week, go take care of grandkids in another city once a week, spend time on the computer, do Civil War reenacting, Roman reenacting, do amatuer radion and a bunch of other stuff. Also there is this thing called Cowboy Action Shooting. :D

Guest jeweler jim

About ten years ago I thought I'd try my hand at that retirement thing. About four years into it my main past time (taking care of "the old man") passed away. While the next few years were completely filled with stuff time wise I found that I was very unsuccessful at the retirement thing in general. My main focus had been removed (24/7 care of my father with his live in help) and I had way to much time to spend money instead of making any. So in November of 2009 I went back to work six days a week partnered up with another jeweler in a gold buying operation.

It's been very good to both to us as the worse it gets in the economy the better it is for us. The only downside is developing the "heart of stone" regarding what you see on a daily basis for those who sometimes are selling the jewelry to make ends meet. On those occasions where you send them away with some cash and let them keep the gold you make them promise not to tell anyone or we'd swamped with others. Don't do it very often, but I could tell a few stories for sure.

THE PRIVATE SECTOR AIN'T DOING WELL!''

But we are.

Karma! What goes around, comes around, just not on my schedule. Others in the business are slowly disappearing and we seem to be getting a bigger piece of the shrinking market. And I still have the "old man's" house that I turned into my personal "man cave." Three doors to the west of my residence and I get to hide there anytime I want. No phone, TV ain't been turned on since he passed and all my books, guns, reloading, etc., etc. is in place there. Life is good when you look at what I have and how well my kids are doing. Someone remind me the next time I start to bitch.

Probably try my hand at the retirement thing again in three or four years when I get close to qualifying for Elder Statesman category. Sorry for the length.

I'll be 66 in 10 years when my son graduates High School. I'm not going to worry about it 'til then. Hopefull my hands/health will still be good enough that Ii will continue doing leather work. I quit doing a "real" job 6 years ago and became a stay at home dad, so I am already used to the "not enough hours in the day" problem, so my retirement, if it ever happens, will not change much around here. Now when the wife retires, that will be a whole new ballgame, I'm going to have to put a lock on the shop door.

I was like Utah Bob for a few years, then my wife retired. Just kidding, I couldn't wait for her to leave the rat race. We are very lucky. We both had good jobs, retired early from them and had second careers. Lots of folks aren't so lucky, I worry about my kids (sons especially) and wonder what retirement will be like for them. We have a cabin in Western Maryland that we enjoy living in, with 10 acres there is always lots to do and I can shoot whenever I want. We have a daughter and family in Southern California so we head there a couple of times a year. She works for Dow Chemical so comes to Michigan often and usually brings one of the grandsons with her so we can see him, or both of them. Dad recently passed away so we have had lots to do to sell his house. Have two sons and two grandkids here in town so we spend time with them whenever possible. I guess we are busy. Still trying to work in a "date night" each week, maybe go to a movie now and then. All in all, best jobs we ever had.

Frazee.

I think you are over thinking this Birdgun.

Badger, I'm sure you are correct. However, I have seen some men who retired and have either gone back to work for something to do or have told me that they wish they were still working because "retirement gets boring with nothing to do."

I'm looking forward to retirement and not having an employer, but I want my retirement to be a successful 'active' retirement.

(That is of course both my wife and I are still in good health.)

Badger, I'm sure you are correct. However, I have seen some men who retired and have either gone back to work for something to do or have told me that they wish they were still working because "retirement gets boring with nothing to do."

I'm looking forward to retirement and not having an employer, but I want my retirement to be a successful 'active' retirement.

Good health is the issue, at least at the Badger hole. Both the Mrs and myself have had some serious problems in that department in the last 10 years. It cuts into the fun factor, but if you have a positive attitude not much can sink your ship. My wife retired three times in those ten years. I guess she just could not stand being around me all day and watch me do things.

I retired from working in corrections in '95, and SWMBO retired from teaching in 2010. She's now making jewelry to sell to folks, and is involved with the local Republican Women's Club and GRREAT (Golden Retriever Rescue, Education & Training). I work 3 days a week on average for a gubmint contractor so we can have a comfortable level of disposable income, aka "fun money". Other than that, I go to CAS matches, gun shows, model train shows, gun club and Masonic events, do some huntin' and fishin' and grillin' out and drinkin', attack the honey-do list (which never seems to get any shorter) and if I get ambitious enough, I may mow the grass once in a while. I collect and build HO model trains and am just now getting started on my first layout, a 4 X 12 in two 4 X 6 modules with folding legs that'll be housed in the garage that I finally cleared enough stuff out of to make room for it.

I have retired from full time LEO work back in 2008. I returned to part time LEO work shortly thereafter and then finally retired from that last year in June of 2011, so I guess I have only really been retired for a year.

I moved from California to the mountains of New Mexico in July of 2011 and my lovely bride followed me when she retired in September of 2011. We have had a small cabin here for almost 10 years now. I have spent the last year working on the cabin, getting involved with the local SASS group, and helping build up the SASS shooting range. We have added a Court house, several store fronts, and a bank. We have also added metal roofs to a couple of the buildings.

I have finally gotten into reloading and I have been able to start using my old armorers skills to work on some of my firearms. I also have some computer skills, so I helped install a VOIP phone system in one of our friend's insurance offices. In addition to all that, my lovely bride and I volunteer for the US Forest Service to help map out Wilderness trails in our area.

We have some undeveloped ranch property about an hour away from us and we would like to build a small weekend cabin out there someday. Right now our next project is to clear some trees in the backyard, so I can have a place for a workshop. At this point, all of my big power tools are in storage. Eventually, once things settle down a bit, we plan to do some traveling around to see the states and then maybe a trip to Ireland and Scotland......:D

I'm way too far away from retiring to think about it but I can tell you about my dad.

Dad fought with the US Army in WWII. He then went into Aerospace where he worked for 43 years before retiring. To keep his "mind young", he began volunteer tutoring math, physics and chemistry at the local junior college. This spring, he retired after 20 years of tutoring 4 days a week, 6 - 8 hours a day. He's planning on driving around the country researching his family history this summer and possibly traveling to Europe one more time before all my mothers relatives pass away.

Sounds like a great plan, Kris.

I got so many things going, fishing, shooting, reloading, fly tying, reading, talking to folks in the Saloon, I attend a couple of club meetings a month, and then there is Captain Jack to keep me busy. I sometimes just like to take him to the river and watch the water float by. He enjoys it too. I have never understood how folks could get bored if they are in good health. I forgot the yard work and keeping the plantation running.

When I retired thought the money would hold up for the things I liked to do 10-12 years ago, but things happen. I do things that don't cost a lot money. It use to be hunting, fishing, shooting, travel, golfing and shopping. Well, we all know how the economy fell apart and I had to make adjustments. I do at least one bar-b-q once a year for my SASS friends. So, most of my doings are centered around the home ranch:

Landscaping/gardening

Dutch oven cooking

Working with my mules

Wood carving

History.....Route 66......local

a little prospecting

metal detecting

and babysitting the new grandson.

Every day I can plan on 4 to 10 hours on just property maintenance, watering, pruning, composting, cleaning corrals, animal care, and fixing things that break.

I'm with hardpan, don't see that I'll ever be able to retire.

I reckon I'll keep plenty busy if I am ever able to retire. I might even finally be able to keep up my lawn how I'd like to, it's a mess now, just no time to work on it.

88 acres, 3 barns, house & garage = something always needs repaired, cleaned or mowed

12 horses

1 dog

14 + or - barn cats that are not your typical "leave me alone" barn cats. All want their pet me time, one has to have a belly rub, one wants you to carry her when you walk back & forth between barns, one has to sit in your lap for a spell, and another wants her daily ride on the 4-wheeler (she used to want a horse ride every day until she got bucked off, which is when she decided the 4-wheeler was a better choice).

We had the range until a few years ago but hubby still goes to other matches, reloads, cleans his guns, shops for new ones, etc...

I like to read, play on the computer, take a 2 or 3 night getaway with my mom and usually a sister or two a couple of times a year, etc...

Lots of overnight visitors between family & friends who want to come down to camp, shoot, hunt, play with horses or just hang out.

No outside job and there still isn't enough time in the day, but we do our chores on our own schedule. Except for taking care of the critters other things you can let slide for a day or so if there's something you'd rather do.

Most folks we know who didn't succeed in retirement did so because they had no interests or friends outside of their work life. Then there are always those who didn't plan well financially and find out they have to go back to work for the income. And as hard as it is to believe some just like to work.

Birdgun, I should add, I have retired 3 times. Once when Amoco and BP merged. (at the time we were under the thought Amoco would still be the name, but turned out it was BP). At age 52, I was given the opportunity to move out of the country, permanently, all paid, or early retirement with 10 years added to my age, and 15 years added to my retirement fund, and a bonus. I took early out and but after 6 months took a managers job, (couldn't handle it, waking up and not going to w^^k). I received many times over the years to be a consultant for turn-a-arounds, and expansion by BP. Opened my own consulting business with retired engineers. Finally sold it all. Took about 3 months, glad there were a lot of big matches to clear my head and keep me from thinking about going back to w**k. As I mentioned earlier, I don't know now how I ever had time to have a job besides. MT

Was a month short of being 49, so was still 48 when I retired 12 years ago. Have NEVER been so busy in my life, haven't had a day off or a vacation in those 12 years :lol: Next week will have completed the 1 year commitment I gave our church of helping out where needed. I also help out at this kids camp once a week all year long. Got real involved in woodworking and the cowboy shooting. Which both I had to give up for that year from the church thing. When we retired was going to go into other work, both the wife and I, but we said what the heck, we live a simple life and can make it on the PD Pension and a few years later the wife on social security. So, we doing just fine on what we have and are blessed for everything. Busy mostly helping older folks since I am so young. Of course at age 50 had the heart attack and the 5 buypasses. Didn't kill me, so got up and haven't stopped since. Live on the lake and got so busy with everything I gave up fishing several years ago. Don't miss it too busy. Now, in 2 weeks I can get back to cowboy shooten and woodworken :D

The problem with some is that their job becomes their treason for living. They have no outside interests. I can't imagine that because the world is such a vast and fascinating place. As much as I loved my job I never let it consume me. A wise feller once said to me, "Is your job what you do, or is it what you are? Never let it become what you are, because when it's gone, you'll be nothing". I've seen that happen to a lot of friends.

One thing I haven't been since retiring is bored. I doubt that I'll ever be.

A Few Retirement Activity Suggestions:

Read a book

Write a book

Build something

Tear something down

Fix something

Watch a great old movie

Watch a great new movie

Listen to music

Take a picture

Paint a picture

Call an old friend

Make a new friend

Help somebody

Take a trip; short or long

Try to figure out the computer (good luck on that)

Learn a new skill

Smell the coffee

Look at the stars

Build a fire

Grow a watermelon

Laugh a lot

Sing a little

Dance if you can

Tell a story

Get off your butt and keep movin

:lol:

The problem with some is that their job becomes their treason for living. They have no outside interests. I can't imagine that because the world is such a vast and fascinating place. As much as I loved my job I never let it consume me. A wise feller once said to me, "Is your job what you do, or is it what you are? Never let it become what you are, because when it's gone, you'll be nothing". I've seen that happen to a lot of friends.

One thing I haven't been since retiring is bored. I doubt that I'll ever be.

A Few Retirement Activity Suggestions:

Read a book

Write a book

Build something

Tear something down

Fix something

Watch a great old movie

Watch a great new movie

Listen to music

Take a picture

Paint a picture

Call an old friend

Make a new friend

Help somebody

Take a trip; short or long

Try to figure out the computer (good luck on that)

Learn a new skill

Smell the coffee

Look at the stars

Build a fire

Grow a watermelon

Laugh a lot

Sing a little

Dance if you can

Tell a story

Get off your butt and keep movin

:lol:

There is iron in Utah's words. He speaks the truth. Keep doing something, even if it is only wondering what the heck you are doing here on this bubble. BUT DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO, NOT WHAT SOME OTHER FELLER WANTS YOU TO DO, AND DO IT ON YOUR OWN TIME SCHEDULE.

Loafing a lot . . . playing WILD WEST . . . built this building at White Horse Ranch. Having FUN. .. ...... :)

Very cool Wolfgang.

What a sickening discussion..... :lol: . I imagine I'll keep my same interests as I have now, but do them a whole lot more!: mission work with our church, time working at the range; building stages, board walks, target stands, etc., and what ever creative project comes to mind around the house (which are way too many...)

At 54 and getting closer, it can't get here quick enough! :D

Archived