SASS Wire Forum

Retirees: What do you do with your time?

You skilled retired types: What do you do with you time?? :blush:

Birdgun :unsure: Quail

Damned if I know. There doesn't seem to be much more time now than when I was working.

Working around the house, writing and researching, doing odd projects,etc. I keep thinking it will loosen up now that the house has been remodeled and the yard re-landscaped, but there's always something else.

The biggest difference is that I am being pushed by MY OWN schedule and MY OWN wants and needs...and that's all pretty flexible. Not much stress and, my wife aside, no one to answer to.

The problem with some is that their job becomes their treason for living. They have no outside interests. I can't imagine that because the world is such a vast and fascinating place. As much as I loved my job I never let it consume me. A wise feller once said to me, "Is your job what you do, or is it what you are? Never let it become what you are, because when it's gone, you'll be nothing". I've seen that happen to a lot of friends.

Best statement yet. I have seen that in medicine all of my working career. I've even had a few docs accuse me of not taking medicine serious enough when they found out I shot firearms, did wine touring, went scuba diving, etc. Their whole life was/is medicine, and they will probably practice until they die, because they have nothing else. One of my cardiology friends was consumed by medicine -- day or night he was in the hospital. Had a ton of money but never found time to enjoy it. He was running up the stairs to the ICU and dropped over dead from a massive heart attack at age 54 -- he never had time to see a doc himself. What a waste.

My Lordy

I don't know where I found time to work....my date book is usually filled to the max.

You do what ya want to do and especially the stuff you couldn't find the time to do when you worked.....

curley

The problem with some is that their job becomes their treason for living. They have no outside interests. I can't imagine that because the world is such a vast and fascinating place. As much as I loved my job I never let it consume me. A wise feller once said to me, "Is your job what you do, or is it what you are? Never let it become what you are, because when it's gone, you'll be nothing". I've seen that happen to a lot of friends.

One thing I haven't been since retiring is bored. I doubt that I'll ever be.

A Few Retirement Activity Suggestions:

Read a book

Write a book

Build something

Tear something down

Fix something

Watch a great old movie

Watch a great new movie

Listen to music

Take a picture

Paint a picture

Call an old friend

Make a new friend

Help somebody

Take a trip; short or long

Try to figure out the computer (good luck on that)

Learn a new skill

Smell the coffee

Look at the stars

Build a fire

Grow a watermelon

Laugh a lot

Sing a little

Dance if you can

Tell a story

Get off your butt and keep movin

:lol:

Missed four of those, three are doable (I ain't ever gonna grow a watermelon), and I could probably add some other stuff, too.

My wife is retiring in September and has NO hobbies, so I'll have to add getting her involved in something to the list.

My Lordy

I don't know where I found time to work....my date book is usually filled to the max.

You do what ya want to do and especially the stuff you couldn't find the time to do when you worked.....

curley

Best not let Phyllis find out you're dating! There could be unpleasant side effects. :P

Archived