SASS Wire Forum

Opening lines

owen judice

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Line was your not Wyatt Warp and this isn't Dodge City. My wife being English, changed it abit. She said your not Duke of Wellington and this isn't Waterloo. It took the timer a second before he got it!!! LOL

If my brain is functioning (a tricky proposition on a good day), I always try to play with the line. I'll slip in a club member's alias, say the line with an accent or a lisp, just anything I can think of to get a laugh (I shoot to enjoy it - my times are usually in the 60-80 second range!). Two years ago at the state championship (we have hosted it for the past fourteen years) one of the lines was, "Excuse me while I whip this out!". I had about ten or twelve bandanas tied together and tucked under my pants. After saying the line I started "whipping it out"!!! :lol:

Now that there is funny!

Usually when I try to be funny, I end up screwing up the shot sequence and earn myself a P.:angry:

So I stopped tryin' to be funny.

Most times it didn't work anyhow.:lol:

Waimea

:FlagAm:

We had a stage in which the shooter had to wear a bonnet and the starting line was "Do you think I'm pretty". I didn't think we would ever get through the stage. Every cowboy had to ham this to the point of hilarity. One of the all time favorites.

All of these are great, thanks to every one for having a little fun with this post. Here is another of my favorites from Tall Tale, "Well paint my toe nails and curl my hair". You have to say like my grand daughter says it, Hair is a 2 syliable word

People, People.... you have got to stop reloading long enough to watch a good western or two. I probably got 10 different ones from the remake of TRUE GRIT. I especially love matches were the line is from YOUR favorite western, On the fly. but the alltime favorite is Steve Mcqueen in the magnificent seven.."We deal in lead, friend"

There are several great ones from Crossfire Trail

"Well, maybe I ought to just show you."

"I never had to fight my way into a saloon before."

"Just when things were going so good for you."

"Luke, is my Colt lashed down?"

"Never could get the hang of turning the other cheek."

"I been run off this place once before, never again."

"I'm going to beat you within an inch of your life for what you did to Charles Rodney."

"I'm gonna blow you out of those fancy boots."

"Slow down, you'll get a more harmonious outcome."

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

when I write stages there is always an opening line. Last month they were:

"Whats a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic place like this",

"I have two guns, one for each of you"

"Awful lot of law for a little cow town"

"Amigo, weve been had"

"I rarely bluff and I never ever cheat"

"Laddie, I never go anywhere peacably"

We had a stage in which the shooter had to wear a bonnet and the starting line was "Do you think I'm pretty". I didn't think we would ever get through the stage. Every cowboy had to ham this to the point of hilarity. One of the all time favorites.

That one made me think of the line from Firefly "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndcxFH0AHfA

It's at about the 1:10 mark.

We always have opening lines.....thanks to our stage-writer, Possum Skinner.

They run from the "stuff on right now": "Chute 'em 'Lizabeth"

To the funny westerns: "More beans Mr. Taggert"

To the simple: "Draw!"

To the recent westerns: "Well, he shoulda armed himself if he was gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."

To the older westerns: "Use enough dynamite there Butch?"

To the old TV westerns: "Chuck Connors ain't got nuthin' on me."

I personally like the opening lines. It adds flavor, IMHO.

Chick

The Blazing Saddles quotes are awesome! We don't usually do opening lines but, I think I might have to sneak some in at our next shoot!

Huh? Say what? No opening lines? How do you start stages? Head nods?

I like "say when".

And "awright, let's do it lunger".

Why this fried chicken is so good it'll make yore skin tight, teeth white and child-birthing a pleasure!!

Archived