SASS Wire Forum

1873 rifle

Arkansas Stretch

Each importer (such as Cimarron) can (and typically does) configure several models that they order from Uberti, each with variations. Length of barrel, type of grip on buttstock, receiver finish, type of sights, checkering, even the grade of wood or amount and type of engraving. A few importers take the standard models from Uberti and have a contract gunsmith tune and slick them up, maybe even add a few modifications like a short stroke or trigger job or different springs. Then there are the different profit margins that each importer would like to make. Then there are discounts offered at times. All this means that you may be comparing the same exact configuration of gun and finding different asking prices. Or the same asking price on vastly different configurations. Gotta be careful, but realize that there's normally not a LOT of difference in the prices amongst the several companies selling Uberti firearms. Compare a couple, decide the configuration you like, check that it's in stock or quickly deliverable, and go for it.

What a lot of folks are doing anymore is picking the GUNSMITH they want to tune the gun, and describing the general model they want, and let the gunsmith (Cody Conagher, Cowboys and Indian shop, Pioneer Gun Works, Long Hunter Supply, etc) actually obtain the correct gun and fix it up with the tuning that you want. Turns out to be cheaper and faster and require less shipping.

So, are any of the Uberti guns the exact same gun? That can be a REAL hard question to answer, once some work has been put into them. In general, yes, they are all built the same way, mostly the same tooling, etc.. And they all slick up real nice.

Good luck, GJ

My 73 has STOEGER on it.I have never seen one until I got this one.

Garrison Joe

That is the best thought out and best articulated answer to that perennial question I have ever seen.

Pit Bull Tex:

A few years ago Beretta Holding bought both Stoeger and Uberti. Your '73 was made by Uberti. Some Uberti made '73s were imported with the Stoeger markings on them, but they were made by Uberti.

Both my Uberti 1885 and my Uberti 1876 are marked Stoeger. The gun store I usually deal with gets the Stoeger marked guns for less than, say a Cimarron marked gun. Same gun, same quality, lower price.

Guns can be sold through distributors, where the distributor only requests certain models, calibers and other variations.

Guns can also be sold as commissions, where the distributor is requiring a certain level of quality from the manufacturer. My experience is that this is the case with the Italian copies. I think that there are differences (not always better or worse) between Ubertis sold by the main sellers (Taylors, Cimmaron, EMF, Navy Arms and Dixie Gunworks). Most shooters will think that I am full of it, but there are differences in finishing, tool marks and wood that show up for guns made by Uberti, Pietta, Pedersoli and the other Italian makers. It is up to the shooter (with help from more experienced shooters and gunsmiths) to figure what they want and are willing to pay for.

The real extreme of this idea is the 1911's coming out of the same factories in the Phillipines that are then sold for $375 to $800 in the USA. There are marked differences in finish and fit in these guns.

Garrison Joe

That is the best thought out and best articulated answer to that perennial question I have ever seen.

Pit Bull Tex:

A few years ago Beretta Holding bought both Stoeger and Uberti. Your '73 was made by Uberti. Some Uberti made '73s were imported with the Stoeger markings on them, but they were made by Uberti.

Have yet to see him give anything less than really great answers. He has been schooling me in .45 ACP loading on the WB Forum

Hey Arkansas, I suggest taking a good look around at the next match, maybe shoot a few different rifles. I noticed you shot Paiute's 73 at the last match. Does he have any mods? Watching you shoot I feel pretty sure you are going to want to shoot as fast as possible, which means you will probably want an action job at the least and perhaps a short stroke kit too. If that is the case you might be better off buying a gun that has already been 'slicked' up (as a previous poster suggested). I believe Cody Conagher sells new 73s slicked and ready to go for about $1,300 plus shipping and transfer fees.

The 73 I was shooting is one of his with a 4th gen Cowboys and Indians short stroke kit in it. I would be glad to let you give it a spin when we next shoot together. You also have some choices with respect to sights, buckhorn, semi-buckhorn, etc., the size of the front bead (mine is huge some like them small), pistol grip or straight stock, barrel length, type of short stroke, If you buy a gun then send it off for work you are not only going to have to wait, but shipping and transfer fees, both ways, could easily approach $100. Plus what you paid to have it sent to you when you purchased it.

I have come to believe that Cimarron sets a higher MSRP for the dealers to work with, more so than a higher wholesale price. My go to guy purchased several Cimmys for me through the years and done so at considerably lower than local shops were selling other Ubertis. Remember, there are usually two or more outfits between you and the importer and there prices are as relevant as the importers.

I was looking on Gunbroker and noticed I can get a Cimmaron cheaper than a Uberti is why I asked. Thanks guys.

That's the nature of those big sites and has little to do with the guns actual true market value....IMO. Just like any other national site prices can vary a lot on the same stuff depending on many factors. My point is just because the price is that way on these two guns that doesn't make it a standard.....you could see the opposite next week.

Same gun different haircut.

I shoot a 1873 Uberti in 44-40 that goes by the "TEXAS BRUSH POPPER" I looked at Taylors first because I was having Cody do my work because he leaves the gun with the stock brass carrier. His wife works at Taylors and he sometimes has guns that are hard to find. Taylors, Cimmaron,and Buffalo Arms all showed this gun with the exact same stock number. Taylors was out and said that it might be 6 weeks or more. Cimmaron was the highest but they sell to other dealers. Buffalo Arms was the cheapest and even shipped the gun to Cody for me. If you buy a gun from Long Hunter it also carries the same Uberti stock number. Buffalo Arms purchased my gun from Cimmarons and was over $100 cheaper. I am not going to tell you which gun or who to purchase it from but remember that with each reduction in stroke length comes much more force to move the lever. The very short strokes are also the hardest to lever each time.

Yep. I have one that has the "Stoeger, Accokeek sp) roll mark. Interestingly the roll mark is poorly done and runs off the edge of the barrel.

As I name all my guns this one is called "Mercy"

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I got my Uberti 1873 24" Sporting Rifle from Long Hunter - with all the Long Hunter "goodies" including a Pioneer coil spring conversion and Slix springs for the lever springs. I went with Long Hunter because I wanted the gun in 44 Special.

When I tried to obtain that caliber from Pioneer Gun Works, their supplier (Taylor's) told them that Uberti doesn't offer an 1873 in 44 Special, and that's what Pioneer told me. I knew for a fact that was pure unadulterated B.S. and contacted Long Hunter and they got one very quickly from Cimarron. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Pioneer realized that it was only TAYLORs who doesn't deal in 44 Specials, and that they had misinformed me about Uberti not offering that caliber, telling me that they could obtain one for me through another vendor. But by then it was too late for Pioneer, I had already closed my deal with Long Hunter.

I find Long Hunter to be really great to work with! They always gave me straight-up honest answers to questions, bent over backwards to get me accurate information, delivered exactly when they said they would.

No matter who you get a 73 from, in my mind the 2 things you have to decide on is Barrel length and pistol grip. At the next match you are at ask around and point and feel the difference between the pistol & straight grips. Also look at the different barrel lengths, they will have a different feel and balance. Once you decide what configuration you think feels best for you...then start looking at the various importers and grades of their rifles.

I have a Taylor and a Cimarron and there ain't a hoot of difference between them. Both are great guns :wub:

I LOVE THE LOOK OF THE 73!

BUT THE COST ! WOW !

DAM WE PUT ARE GUNS THREW SOME SH IT AND THAT'S A LOT OF MONEY FOR SOMETHING TO BEAT UP.

I SHOOT 3 DIFFERENT WINCHESTER ( COPY ) 92S IN 44 SPL AND LOVE THE GUNS !!

AND I THINK I STILL GOT LESS THAN 1200.00 IN ALL THREE ! JUST SAYING !!

GOD BLESS THE USA !!!

This is copied right from the Stoeger web site: Trademarks

"STOEGER," the "STOEGER LOGO," "BENELLI," the "BENELLI LOGO," "UBERTI," the "UBERTI LOGO," "FRANCHI," the "FRANCHI LOGO," and other marks indicated on our site are registered trademarks of Stoeger Industries, and other StoegerIndustries.com graphics, logos, page headers, button icons, scripts, and service names are trademarks or trade dress of Stoeger Industries or its subsidiaries. Stoeger Industries’ trademarks and trade dress may not be used in connection with any product or service that is not licensed or approved by Stoeger Industries, in any manner that is likely to cause confusion among customers, or in any manner that disparages or discredits Stoeger Industries. All other trademarks not owned by Stoeger Industries or its subsidiaries that appear on this site are the property of their respective owners, who may or may not be affiliated with, connected to, or sponsored by Stoeger Industries or its subsidiaries.

I agree regarding the 1892 copies.

I also have a stainless Rossi 1892 (Puma) 24" barrel in 44 Magnum.

It has had the action slicked up, but it is nowhere near as fast as my slicked up 1873.

But it is much more accurate than my Uberti 1873.

I love both guns.

I use the 1873 for main matches and the 1892 for long-range rifle side-matches.

With the sight elevated into the 3rd notch, I can very consistently break shotgun clays with the '92 @ 100 yards with 240 grain 44 Special cowboy loads. The gun is just as accurate with 44 Magnum loads (but that light little rifle will actually HURT you with 44 mag loads and that steel butt plate). But it does not like light bullets, it very strongly prefers 240 grain bullets for accuracy. I don't think the rifling twist adequately stabilizes lighter bullets.

And I only have around $500.00 into the '92.

My '92 had an awful "black creosote" finish on the wood. I sanded that off and refinished the wood. Here's a pic.

https://picasaweb.google.com/101870376335211233166/August32011#

Gunsmith Rick Stover tells me that the Uberti 1873s are typically also VERY accurate once you put a target crown on the muzzle. I'm fixin' to have him do that to mine in November. He only charges $60.00 to do that, which is chicken feed compared to what I already have into the gun.

• 2 years later...
Guest Jess Money

The straight stock, or "English style" if you prefer, has been around since the advent of full stocked fusils. I'm sure that through un-recorded history, a smithy somewhere may have developed a pistol grip or two but even then, those were one off pieces. Even the venerable Springfield 1903 wore a straight stock. When the M-1 was developed it carried a pistol grip that had come into favor, gradually, over a period of time beginning with custom orders from the manufacturers here and in Europe. It was an evolutionary transformation brought on by customer preference. Exact date of the pistol grip stock gaining favor? My guess is somewhere in the late 19th century and mainly for shotgun stocks.

A bit on an analogy. I'm 71 & have owned Labrador Retrievers all my life. I've loved them all & they've all been different but basically the same. I'll never have a better or more loyal friend than this one...but I've said this before.

I've also owned many 73's & all have served beyond expectations. Some of the many things in common;

I treat him right & vice versa.

I respect him & he fulfills expectations. He does his job if I do mine.

His performance has never failed of I did my part.

Keep him clean, feed him right & good fortune follows.

In life: with rifles, & great dogs this holds true

Garrison Joe, you gave a great response

Archived