SASS Wire Forum

Shooting only one pistol

Complicated Lady

There is a guy that we have been trying to help get into Cowboy Action Shooting.

He is real "hung up" on the fact that we shoot 2 pistols.

When I asked if he wanted to shoot this weekend his reply was this...

"I talked to one of the guys at the gun shop and he told me that there is a movement in SASS to get back to basics (one gun with reload)

I think I will wait and see what happens"

My first thought was "well you are gonna be waiting a long time" but I didn't say that to him.

I want your opinion on this. Do you think this will happen?

I do know there are clubs that allow shooters to shoot in special categories with less than the usual 2 pistols, rifle, and shotgun.

That would take half my fun away. How can I shoot gunfighter with one gun?

Not a chance in the world.

He can shoot one, take 5 misses a stage, or reload on the clock.

Or borrow a pistol, but is sounds like one of those folks who wants the game to change to suit him. It ain't broke now, no need to fix it.

was the guy at the gun store a SASS member or just one of those know it all kind of guys ?

When I first got interested in CAS, I couldn't get over that "you gotta have 2 pistols" thing either. I was told exactly what Dave said, you could take reload on the clock or take 5 misses. Every time I saw the price on a set of matching revolvers, I choked. I even thought about a S&W Schofield, thinking you could reload that one a lot faster...til I saw the price on them. Thankfully I found a great bargain on gun broker that got me 2 new revolvers for a little more than the price I had seen for one. A little luck & a little patience go a long way.

There has been a good deal said about a sodbuster category where only one pistol is used and the shooters takes five misses per stage with no procedural penalty. This would be a good way to try the sport and learn about the different categories without waiting to get that second pistol. The shooter might even learn to unload/load that single pistol quicker than the 25 second penalty, especially if they used a Schofield-action.

Any new shooter that wanted to do this would certainly have my support (if he would not accept a loaner from me for the match).

I dont think that is even a possibility. I have not heard anything about that. And Pit Bull is right How would I shoot gunfighter with one gun?

Painted Filly

"I talked to one of the guys at the gun shop and he told me that there is a movement in SASS to get back to basics (one gun with reload)

Howdy

Most 'guys in gun shops' don't have a clue about what actually happens at a CAS match. Most have never even been to a CAS match, they just repeat what they have heard somewhere.

Not a chance in you know where that CAS will ever go back to one pistol.

was the guy at the gun store a SASS member or just one of those know it all kind of guys ?

That is a question I asked too.

The guy "used to be a SASS member"

It seems just wrong to give a 25+ second penalty on each stage to a shooter who is shooting one pistol. It is even 'wronger' to score any person using non standard required equipment in a SASS rank scored match. Whether in contention for a top spot or not, their scores, no matter how scored, directly affect other shooter's rank position.

A possible solution:

At Logans Ferry the last two seasons, only SASS approved equipment and categories are scored in the main match. All others have their scores posted on a non-match list if they are a category of one. Wild Bunch shooters are scored in a separate match. If there are multiple shooters in a single pistol (Paladin) or multiple pistols (Josey Wales)category, they are scored in a separate match. Hey, if you can present me with multiple shooters in a safe non SASS category of your creation, you can have your own special match. (Been saying this for three years and have yet to have any pards "bring it to me".

This game is all about more shooters having more fun, eh?

Artic

NO. The person at the gun store don't have a clue what he is talking about. :blink: Clueless. :huh:

Nor does the person that asked him.

You already know how I feel about him. :angry::ph34r:

Tell him there is a NCOWS club in ther area. That sounds like where he belongs.

Hope I never posse with him. As if he starts all that talk around me. It won't last long.

He will just have to wait for a bit. SASS-CAS matches will start using only one pistol just after hell freezes over and the devis skates across on his tail.!!!

End of story!!

Drifter

What the hell is wrong with people????

I mean...seriously?!

The game uses 2 revolvers. Get over it!

OY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wacko:

I happen to TOTALLY agree with you on this.

A person can not come into a game that has been around as long as SASS has and complain about the way things are done.

Either play the game with the rules that are in place or don't play. That is not to say a person with less than the required guns can't play...as long as it is understood that it's not going to change to suit them.

If he's in E. TX he can always shoot with the Ten Horns. They have a category for Drover - 1 pistol, 1 rifle, 1 SG

Don't look at me.....

I would vote for an English Bob Stage where you shoot Shotgun, Rifle, 2 revolvers, a Pocket pistol, and a Derringer!

And just think of all the exercise you would get carrying all that iron around!

There is a guy that we have been trying to help get into Cowboy Action Shooting.

He is real "hung up" on the fact that we shoot 2 pistols.

When I asked if he wanted to shoot this weekend his reply was this...

My first thought was "well you are gonna be waiting a long time" but I didn't say that to him.

I want your opinion on this. Do you think this will happen?

I do know there are clubs that allow shooters to shoot in special categories with less than the usual 2 pistols, rifle, and shotgun.

j

As stated by others, it is unlikely that SASS will offer a one pistol category. However, there is no reason that a one pistol-with-a-reload can't be accommodated. We have a one istol category at the Brimstone pistoleros shoot and it is pretty popular and a lot of fun.

Just because it's not offered in your area, don't say it's not happening. Some clubs in Nebraska and Iowa, and I've seen at least one in Kansas offer 1 pistol and rifle class and 2 pistols and rifle class. They were offered at the Iowa State SASS shoot and I believe there were four or five entries in these classes. Personally I like shooting all four guns, but some don't like the shotgun, and it adds shooters that might stay home. Food for thought...

That is a question I asked too.

The guy "used to be a SASS member"

many reasons for not wanting to shot SASS any more but some of those USED TO BE guy didn't like it so they start rummer to discourage folk from joining or Playing

I would vote for an English Bob Stage where you shoot Shotgun, Rifle, 2 revolvers, a Pocket pistol, and a Derringer!

I like it, where can I vote?

The late Tom Doodley-Squat shot with one pistol in 2009 I believe. HE did VERY well.

Fillmore

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Howdy, I shoot in the Working Cowboy, one pistol and a rifle, had to quit the shotgun due to shoulder problems, if he gets another pistol he could shooy in the range detective 2 pistols and a rifle

Regards ENG

I'm all for a one-revolver category. The second gun and additional holster add significantly to the initial investment of participating in our sport. Costs, especially these days, inspires more people to stay away from CAS than any other factor (personal theory; no stats in support). Most have watched enough Westerns and studied enough history to note that Clint and the Duke, and Marshall DIllon and the Earps, etc seemed to fair OK with their six-shooters in a fight. This is who they want to be and there is nothing wrong with that.

Those of you who have stated that we will NEVER go back to one gun are absolutely right...but that is not the conversation. What we need is a CATEGORY in where the second set of pistol targets is not engaged. Easy. This is perfect for those who want to shoot a CAS match once in a while and not jump in with both feet. Some might keep at it with one gun for years, while others will get in the deep-end fast.

Lastly, we need to ENCOURAGE more participation. I was once on a posse and realized I was "the kid". I was 46 at the time. Our sport is weighed unevenly toward the gray and we need to encourage more youths who are not just our grandchildren. Folks in their 30s are typically short on time and money and the impression they are getting when they see us pushing all our equipment around is that this is a sport that needs to wait.

I have heard that question many times from shooters that are thinking about starting cowboy shooting. I did myself! I like two guns,but hearing alot about the cost to shoot and all the gear and gas prices to matches. I have seen most matches I attended that the age groups are not supported by younger shooters. Mostly older 50,60 70, manly 60's. They are not shooting all the matches they could due to cost. It seems to me if SASS can have a wild bunch class they could support a single pistol class by itself, just shoot five then the other stages same as the rest. No age seperation just one gun class. That way the sport could grow and more Sass members. What is so hard about that When I started I asked same question from the point most cowboys only carried one gun after the cap and ball went by the wayside.

There has been a good deal said about a sodbuster category where only one pistol is used and the shooters takes five misses per stage with no procedural penalty. This would be a good way to try the sport and learn about the different categories without waiting to get that second pistol. The shooter might even learn to unload/load that single pistol quicker than the 25 second penalty, especially if they used a Schofield-action.

Any new shooter that wanted to do this would certainly have my support (if he would not accept a loaner from me for the match).

We are shooting a sod buster stage this month. Strong side pistol and shotgun. It's just there for variety and I see no chance that a single gun catagory has any chance. The gun shop guy was obviously not a CAS. WW

Howdy Again

One club that I regularly shoot at used to only use one pistol. This was a whole bunch of years ago when I first started out. It was good for beginners because as has been pointed out, not everyone can afford two pistols when they are starting out. After a few years the club in question relented to popular demand and went to two pistols, like everywhere else.

I used to lament the 'good old days' when we only used one pistol, just like the real cowboys. So one month they decided to revert back to just one pistol for one match only, just for fun.

By the end of the match I had to admit, one pistol is boring. Hardly any pistol ammo expended. Two guns means more shooting, and lots of shooting is part of what CAS is all about. I don't miss the one pistol days anymore.

If ya' think about it a holster is $45 to $75 bucks and a second pistol is $325 - $550 for a good one so IMHO people that say they can't do the sport because of that extra investment are probably just using it as a nice way to say they are on the fence. If people bought used gear from other cowboys not only could they afford that second pistol but they could save enough to buy a reloader, all the components and still have money left over if they are on a budget.

Especially when these same folks drive up to watch in brand new car, talk on i-phones and tell you about the other 20 guns they have at the house and in the same breath say they can’t afford SASS. Of course not everyone does this but I hear it a lot.

What we do (and most other places I have been to) is happily lend guns to new shooter's because once they do get to shoot many folks "find" the money after that. We had a fella' borrow guns for all most a year until he could get his and we were glad to do it.......he is part of the regulars now and never misses a match so you don’t have to buy it all up front and we need to make that clear.

Don't get me wrong I'm not against a "sod buster" or one pistol class but IMO it should be only there to get folks in the door because eventually everyone needs to follow the SASS rules.

The guy at the gun store was playing salesman.

He had a customer that was going to buy one gun IF he only needed one gun. If he needed two, there was no sale.

Using one gun with a five round reload, (if there was a bunch of them), will really mess up posse timing.

An occasional local deal is no problem. On a large scale, it will be an issue as posses wait for the berm to clear.

SASS will go to one gun right after they allow full auto.

With numerous folks, that will gladly loan a shooter a 2nd pistol, I see no real need to make any changes.

I can't afford a Corvette either but I got over it.

If ya' think about it a holster is $45 to $75 bucks and a second pistol is $325 - $550 for a good one so IMHO people that say they can't do the sport because of that extra investment are probably just using it as a nice way to say they are on the fence. If people bought used gear from other cowboys not only could they afford that second pistol but they could save enough to buy a reloader, all the components and still have money left over if they are on a budget.

Especially when these same folks drive up to watch in brand new car, talk on i-phones and tell you about the other 20 guns they have at the house and in the same breath say they can’t afford SASS. Of course not everyone does this but I hear it a lot.

What we do (and most other places I have been to) is happily lend guns to new shooter's because once they do get to shoot many folks "find" the money after that. We had a fella' borrow guns for all most a year until he could get his and we were glad to do it.......he is part of the regulars now and never misses a match so you don’t have to buy it all up front and we need to make that clear.

Don't get me wrong I'm not against a "sod buster" or one pistol class but IMO it should be only there to get folks in the door because eventually everyone needs to follow the SASS rules.

I agree that the basic SASS foundation of 2P/R/S should not be changed, but making ways for new shooters is the way to grow the sport. For some folks an additional $500-600 could be the make-or-break decision. The OP told the story of one person, how many folks out there have looked at SASS, thought about it, then said "4 guns? no way I can afford that!" & never looked again?

Don't look at me.....

And just think of all the exercise you would get carrying all that iron around!

Sounds interesting as long as the arse-stompin from Lil Bill is not included.

If he's in E. TX he can always shoot with the Ten Horns. They have a category for Drover - 1 pistol, 1 rifle, 1 SG

Yep. I am all for Local Clubs adding things like that if they want. But ONLY at the LOCAL LEVEL.

In no way do I think. Or want it to EVER, become a regular SASS category.

And the Texas Tenhorns has added those type of categories to help those getting started. Or in his cast. Just wants to shoot

one pistol.

And this club is in his area that he could shoot. So I suggest if he wants to shoot. He can go there and

check it out, and shoot his one pistol.

There is also a NCOWS club at that same range. It is NOT connected with the SASS club.

Two different clubs.

Sure sounds like that would be more to his liking.

But he sould be aware that not all local clubs are going to offer that. And if he goes to another. He should

be ready to either reload on the clock. Or take the 5 misses.

Used to shoot with a person that would only shoot one pistol. (and yes, he had many)

He reloaded on the clock on every stage.

Just the way he liked to play.

Archived