SASS Wire Forum

Shooting only one pistol

Complicated Lady

I agree that the basic SASS foundation of 2P/R/S should not be changed, but making ways for new shooters is the way to grow the sport. For some folks an additional $500-600 could be the make-or-break decision. The OP told the story of one person, how many folks out there have looked at SASS, thought about it, then said "4 guns? no way I can afford that!" & never looked again?

Every club I know has folks that make it easy for new shooters to get involved before they have all the guns NECESSARY to play this game.

But frankly, I'm a bit tired of folks that say it's too expensive to get started. Just about every one of those that CHOOSE to not play this game because they don't want the added expense of another revolver I'm sure spends money on other items that are not necessities...that could be cut back on for a bit so that they could purchase another revolver...but the CHOOSE not to!

As far as it being too expensive in general for younger folks...BULL! Yeah, it may be too expensive for many...but so what?! That's life! I can't go racing Indy cars cuz it's too expensive. I can't race airplanes...I can't do a whole lot of things because it's cost prohibitive for me. That's life! But the fact is that my young folks go out and buy new Dirt Bikes, Boats, Jetskis...etc...check out the prices of those items.

So let's get real here. A good used Ruger Blackhawk is around $300. A good NEW holster is $75 - $100. Now, how many nights out on the town is that?????

OY!!!!

:FlagAm:

"I talked to one of the guys at the gun shop...

Danger, Will Robinson, DANGER!

More lies, misinformation, ignorance, and just plain fallacies have been spoken at gun shops than anywhere else.

With the probable exceptions of Car Dealerships, and of course, Congress.

Whoa... Hold on folks, Before we start condeming the gun store guy, let's give him the benefit of the doubt here (the cowboy way, right?). As said before, Texas Ten Horns has a few "getting started" categories with just 1 pistol used.

From the TTH web-site;

"Also check out our club specific categories:

Rooster Cogburn - 1 pistol and rifle.

Sod Buster - 1 pistol and shotgun.

Lone Ranger - 2 pistols.

Bounty Hunter - 1 pistol, rifle and shotgun"

And there may be other clubs around the area so maybe, just maybe, the gun store guy had heard of these from others and that is what he was referring to and as happens, somewhere along the way the information got a little distorted and mis-interpeted as a SASS change. This happpens and is just a fact of life.

The best thing is to provide the correct information to the potential buyer and the gun store owner. Give them some phone numbers or club web-sites so they can see what is really available.

Let's not be stringing anyone up without a trial and a guilty verdict. :)

Using one gun with a five round reload, (if there was a bunch of them), will really mess up posse timing.

Oh geeze 30 extra seconds per shooter x 5 shooters reloading on the clock is 2.5 minutes per stage and 15 minutes per 5 stage match. You can wait that long.

Every club I know has folks that make it easy for new shooters to get involved before they have all the guns NECESSARY to play this game.

But frankly, I'm a bit tired of folks that say it's too expensive to get started. Just about every one of those that CHOOSE to not play this game because they don't want the added expense of another revolver I'm sure spends money on other items that are not necessities...that could be cut back on for a bit so that they could purchase another revolver...but the CHOOSE not to!

As far as it being too expensive in general for younger folks...BULL! Yeah, it may be too expensive for many...but so what?! That's life! I can't go racing Indy cars cuz it's too expensive. I can't race airplanes...I can't do a whole lot of things because it's cost prohibitive for me. That's life! But the fact is that my young folks go out and buy new Dirt Bikes, Boats, Jetskis...etc...check out the prices of those items.

So let's get real here. A good used Ruger Blackhawk is around $300. A good NEW holster is $75 - $100. Now, how many nights out on the town is that?????

OY!!!!

:FlagAm:

Absolutely true. Fact is, if you truly cannot afford it, you shouldn't participate.

The OP seemed to be simply asking "Will SASS ever move to one pistol (with reload)?". There is a simple answer for it. According to general consensus and according to the current rule set there is no seeming move of the SASS sport to a one pistol stage.

Now for the implied question "can you shoot a stage with one pistol at a SASS match?". Yes you can but if you are placed in the legal SASS categories it will be impossible to be competitive (though seeing someone pull of a super fast reload would be impressive in it's own right). Two pistols is the defacto standard for running a stage and will remain so.

What this comes down to is the question that everyone seems to be answering "should there be a one pistol SASS category?". This is a general question that everyone will differ on so I will give my take on it. No. Take it or leave it SASS is a competitive sport with required equipment. If you want to shoot just the pistol and shotgun but skip the rifle portion then you are accepting that you are competing without following the basic principles of the sport of 2 pistols/1 rifle/1 shotgun and should accept that you will be scored as such. Take my opinion with a grain of salt in that I have only been competing in SASS for about 4 months but realize that any other competitive sport that I have participated in required that a participant is scored on the same scale as the rest of the category using the equipment specified.

Playing baseball but using a bigger ball and throwing it differently is simply a different category of the same sport (softball vs baseball, duelist vs gunfighter). Using all different equipment and changing some of the rules makes it a different sport (cricket vs baseball, USPSA vs SASS). So if you want to shoot one gun with reloads then head over to your local USPSA match and shoot your 1 pistol/1 rifle/1 shotgun there.

Now the other flip side is "would it boost attendance if there were beginner friendly categories?". I am sure it would increase it a couple percent initially. The sport draws quite a crowd and honestly I have never seen anyone balk and multiple when they are watching a match. They balk at the price over the counter but that is something they normally deal with by getting help from their local club. SASS is just as apt to increase that few percent membership by simply promoting the sport in different venues. Making more categories will increase complexity for Match Directors and RO's. So in the interest of 'KISS' lets keep the main matches the same and let the side matches pick up the extra 'fun' parts of the sport.

Wow, seriously didn't mean to run on so much, sorry.

I can participate in this hobby with only one, but I can't afford even one and they won't loan me one.

Not everyone can afford to do everything they want to do. For some, this game is too expensive, but much of the time it is simply a matter of making decisions about what a person most wants to do. I don't believe a person will find a more accommodating group of folks than cowboys. We'll bend over backwards to help someone and do anything within our power to help a newbie be able to play, but it is what it is. Sugah often points out to people who speak of how expensive the guns are that if they think this is expensive, they should try bass fishing.

Buck D. (guy who knows he will be outfished by Sugah) Law

I have told our friend he is welcome to use my guns and he did at one shoot.

...but he needs to get 2 pistols if he is going to continue to shoot in SASS. That is just my opinion.

He does not live close enough to the Greenville club to attend.... although I agree that would be the perfect club for him to shoot at until he gets 2 pistols.

We all want to help new shooters. My husband and I had borrowed guns for a couple of years while we slowly purchased our own.

Now we both have all our own plus back ups. I would guess that is how most folks are in this sport.

Yes, CAS is expensive but for us... it's worth it.

Not only missing out on half the pistol fun, but a long fought and well earned reason to tell the spouse there's a mandatory reason for yet another shooter acquisition. Smithy.

I'm a greenhorn here, just getting into the sport, expensive...yeah...but it's what I want to do...so I'm selling some of my "other toys" to get the funds for this....pick and choose what ya want....

Been riding Harley's for over 35 years...and that's real expensive....ask the wife! :)

But I think I'm gonna like this, so i make some changes in my toy department....only have one pistol now, but working towards another...get a rifle and twice barrel shoot gun and some other goodies...I'm set....for a long time!

Also bought a used gun cart, so that's taken care of....little at a time.

Now, from a real newbie's view, looking in from the outside, would one pistol category be nice? Guess so, seen lots of cowboy's in the movies and such with only one pistol....maybe a reload category? What do I know...too new to really express opinions.

BUT...I don't seek out changing anything. Way to new to even think of spouting off about changes....you cowboys ( and Cowgirls) have this in your hands...I'm just wanting in to play...and I thank you all for the chance....

From one new cowboy to another...take it easy, slow and steady, get you gear a little at a time...and if this sport ( or anything for that matter) takes food off the table, or your family has to suffer, or bills go unpaid...then you seriously need to reevaluate your thinking and playing!

I agree that the basic SASS foundation of 2P/R/S should not be changed, but making ways for new shooters is the way to grow the sport. For some folks an additional $500-600 could be the make-or-break decision. The OP told the story of one person, how many folks out there have looked at SASS, thought about it, then said "4 guns? no way I can afford that!" & never looked again?

GOOD.

I am so tired of the attitude that everything should be accessible for everyone.

Making a sacrifice or a committment to do something should never be required of anyone.

Being a surgeon would be really cool. You mind if I sit in on your surgery and take a little slice to see if I like it?

I would love to drive a Sprint Cup car. You mind if I circle the track in my old pickup?

That's a real nice house you're selling. You mind if I live in it for a while to see if I like it?

If you don't want to step up to the plate and fulfill the games requirements

(especially when I KNOW how many folks will offer you full equipment to play), THEN STAY HOME.

I'm a greenhorn here, just getting into the sport, expensive...yeah...but it's what I want to do...so I'm selling some of my "other toys" to get the funds for this....pick and choose what ya want....

Been riding Harley's for over 35 years...and that's real expensive....ask the wife! :)

But I think I'm gonna like this, so i make some changes in my toy department....only have one pistol now, but working towards another...get a rifle and twice barrel shoot gun and some other goodies...I'm set....for a long time!

Also bought a used gun cart, so that's taken care of....little at a time.

Now, from a real newbie's view, looking in from the outside, would one pistol category be nice? Guess so, seen lots of cowboy's in the movies and such with only one pistol....maybe a reload category? What do I know...too new to really express opinions.

BUT...I don't seek out changing anything. Way to new to even think of spouting off about changes....you cowboys ( and Cowgirls) have this in your hands...I'm just wanting in to play...and I thank you all for the chance....

From one new cowboy to another...take it easy, slow and steady, get you gear a little at a time...and if this sport ( or anything for that matter) takes food off the table, or your family has to suffer, or bills go unpaid...then you seriously need to reevaluate your thinking and playing!

Welcome to Cowboy Action Shooting

and welcome to the SASS Wire

please don't let anything that is said here run you off

Welcome to Cowboy Action Shooting

and welcome to the SASS Wire

please don't let anything that is said here run you off

Thanks CL

Not going anywhere soon, everyone here has been super to the new guy...and I agree with most have said....

I'll get my pistols and stuff, just gonna take awhile, and I'm good with that...

Sure looking forward to shooting and meeting all the fine cowboys and cowgirls....

Thanks all

You want to shoot only 1 revolver? Go to a USPSA/IDPA/Steel match, they will be glad to see you. :lol:

Would you please show me in the rule book where two revolvers are required by the rules for anything other than double dualist or gunfighter

Would you please show me in the rule book where two revolvers are required by the rules for anything other than double dualist or gunfighter

I shoot double dualist and am pretty sure the rule book doesn't require two pistols in that category either. Just have to reload the first one on the clock. ;)

Again in these parts, One pistol/rifle and two pistols/rifle are separate catagories and scored by themselves, At our club with over a hundred shooters at a monthly match, reloading adds alot of time to the day. So shooters using one pistol, actually do that, they just shoot their pistol and rifle, head to the unloading table... Pretty simple concept...

One pistol, two pistols, sxs 97 gamer rifle, big bore rifle (WB) 1911.

250 - 800 500- 1600 3-400 3-500 11-1300 11- 1300 400 - 1000+

Adds up to a lot of money but if you shoot 10 club matches a year a regional and WR or EOT every year for 10 years and go thru a couple of hundred rounds a month for practice, you will find that ya spend a lot more money on ammo than you do on guns, not to mention match fees, duds, transportation and lodging

But if you like what ya are doing it becomes a good investment.

Good thing about it judging by the prices of used guns on the wire - if you decide you don't like it, you will do much better selling the guns than one ever does trading in or selling a car they have had from 6 months to 5 years.

My first matches in the mid 90s at Fort Bliss were during the one pistol days. If you shot a 3 screw blackhawk or colt you could reload a lot faster than one with a newer blackhawk or vaquero (don't index for unloading) but those who invested in a schofield would smoke every one. Hum maybe that should have generated a separate equipment based class or two to level the playing field.

Two pistols and virtually no reloading of them ever is a lot more fun and even a lot less frustrating.

Howdy

started off with a rifle and a side by side shot in a class with a few others only shot the rifle and shot gun targets ..

then got my frist pistol so shot one gun for years reloaded on the clock yes it did slow my times down but there were others in the same group won a few cat's as a one gun shooter

times i don't mind one gun shooting and haveing to reload on the clock like the old saying watch out for a fella with only one gun as he knows how to use it ..

sure i'll never be on the cover of the paper as top gun i have a ball at shoots i got to and shoots i set up i'd sooner have a few new bums in the seat and get them going most if they can't pony up the dollars for 2 guns will get there ..

most clubs have a loaner for someone with only one gun or a shooter will have a spair they will loan to a mate to get them going ..

as much as i like shooting one gun i don't think the sport as a whole would be as good forsed in to one gun shooting BUT a cat to get people in to the sport get them joining in and build up there firearms as they can

catch yer

JD

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

You won't hear silly crap like that at WILD WEST ARMS (my shop).

We are SASS-knowlegable and NCOWS-friendly too.

In fact, we'd love to sell you even MORE guns!

heheheheheh

Mustang Gregg, SASS TG

Wild West Arms

www.wildwestarms.net

No it won't happen Complicated Lady. Judging from the posts so far, and being in agreement with them, if someone wants to come to a local monthly match and shoot using one pistol and reload on the clock - go for it and enjoy yourself. Just know your time won't be added to the general list (Reason- it's a different game just like Wild Bunch).

One more thing - NO we don't need any more categories!

You’re looking at it wrong IMO. Don't look at what you need and think about buying it ALL at once because you can get "overloaded". I don't know too many that jumped right in and bought it all before they started. If you want to really shoot get a holster set (150 - 200) and a set of pistols (500 - 1000) and your are in.....because it's easy to barrow everything else while you save up for the rest of your gear.

Sure, it may take some time but its well worth the wait. Lots of sports/hobbies are expensive.......for the cost of a jet ski, motorcycle, 4 wheeler, fishin' boat, etc you can be in and the guns never lose their value.

If you want to shoot stop looking for excuses and start looking for solutions you won’t regret it.

It is only natural to look for a way to look before you leap and it happens in every hobby.

Golfers frequently start with a starter set; usually good for about 3 months before it goes to the yard sale. :rolleyes:

I was organizing yhe first outing for our company Jeep club and had a guy ask if he could participate with a Mazda Miata; probably not a good idea. :o

Skiers can rent their equipment; usually a down payment on bankruptcy. :mellow:

I can think of none of these endeavors that offer the "cash out" potential of a set of SASS guns. I do think back however to my first experience with serious live pigeon shooters. They were all discussing the fine O/U shoguns they were using. One fellow(I believe the leader at the time) said to me,"Heck, I have more money than that in my Rem 1100, but 95% of it went to my gunsmith." :lol:

Archived