SASS Wire Forum

Not allowed to say 'God' at Vet funerals

Don;t even know where to start - just appalled at this::angry: :angry: :angry:

http://www.veteransresources.org/2011/06/veterans-affairs-bans-mention-of-god-at-funerals-for-vets/

A Vet cannot even have his/her God mentioned at their own funeral.:wacko:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Unlike the Pledge of Allegiance thread, I am having a difficult time coming up with a cogent response that doesn't contain multiple expletives. My first thought was "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot???"

Arleen Ocasio needs to remove her head from her third point of contact and then either resign or be fired. Whether she is or not, she should be required to spend some time with troops in the field in Afghanistan. Soldiers are allowed to pray, to congregate for prayer and services with a Chaplain, to have our religious affiliation on our ID tags, yet she believes she has some authority to wipe reference to God from services for Veterans? How insane with power and idiocy can one person get?

While I don't accept tha maxim that "there are no atheists in foxholes," I absolutely believe that every soldier has to be able to have God as he or she understands him with him. That doesn't change after combat. It remains every bit as vital for the Veteran who has served as for the soldier to maintain that relationship.

Simply put, families invoking the name of God is NOT the same as Congress establishing a religion. If Ms. Ocasio can't understand the difference, she might consider a change of careers. I'm just not sure what she would be suited for.

The VA has been making some really stupid PC calls over the last 40 years....

About as stupid as could ever be possible :angry::wacko:

Hope the SOB's that came up with that piece of crap idea get FLOODED with phone calls and letters.

To the IDIOTS that came up with that brain-fart idea...ROT IN HELL! :angry: :angry: :angry:

BTW, I have 3 sons who are multi-tour combat vets. ;)

LG

About as stupid as could ever be possible :angry::wacko:

Hope the SOB's that came up with that piece of crap idea get FLOODED with phone calls and letters.

To the IDIOTS that came up with that brain-fart idea...ROT IN HELL! :angry: :angry: :angry:

BTW, I have 3 sons who are multi-tour combat vets. ;)

LG

A civilian salute and highest regards for them ~ may God bless them.

If the family of deceased Jewish or Muslim or other non-Christian religion adhearant vet. does not want Jesus mentioned in funeral prayers then that wish should be honored. It IS their funeral.

If the family of a an Atheist vet. (and they do exist) doesn't want any religious mention at all then that wish shouild be honored for the same reason.

But I was baptized and raised as a Catholic. I'd would have no problem with a full funeral Mass and all the trimmings. If that were the wish my family then that wish should also be honored.

The government may not dictate my faith and any restrictions on its practice put a heavy burden on the Government to prove that they are either unlawful or constitute a threat to public health, safety, and welfare.

SQQ

If the family of deceased Jewish or Muslim or other non-Christian religion adhearant vet. does not want Jesus mentioned in funeral prayers then that wish should be honored. It IS their funeral.

If the family of a an Atheist vet. (and they do exist) doesn't want any religious mention at all then that wish shouild be honored for the same reason.

But I was baptized and raised as a Catholic. I'd would have no problem with a full funeral Mass and all the trimmings. If that were the wish my family then that wish should also be honored.

The government may not dictate my faith and any restrictions on its practice put a heavy burden on the Government to prove that they are either unlawful or constitute a threat to public health, safety, and welfare.

SQQ

While I agree with you, that is not how I am reading the article:

VA Forbids Mention of God at Funerals for Veterans and Requires Families to Submit Prayer for Approval to the Government: For 30 years, the VFW District 4 burial team, at the request of the family of the deceased, has honored veterans by performing the VFW burial ritual during private burial services at the Houston National Cemetery. For 20 years, The American Legion Post 586 has honored our veterans by performing its burial ritual for fallen veterans. On at least four separate occasions, government officials told the burial teams that prayer and religious speech could no longer be included in the burial ritual unless the family submits a specific prayer or message in writing to Director Ocasio for her approval. Government official Jose Henriquez also told the VFW Honor Guard Commander, Junior Vice Commander and Chaplain that the word “God” is forbidden.

VA instructs the VFW and a Private Funeral Home that they may not present the option of prayer to families: American Heritage Funeral Home, which sits next to the Houston National Cemetery and specializes in veterans’ funerals, was instructed by government officials that the funeral home may not inform the families that they have the option of requesting prayer in the VFW burial ritual.

VA Tells Volunteers to Remove “God Bless” from Condolence Cards to Grieving Families: About a year ago, Director Ocasio instructed the president of the National Memorial Ladies that the words “God” and “Jesus” are forbidden and that “God Bless” could no longer be written in condolence cards to families. Volunteers also were banned from speaking a religious message when talking directly to veterans’ families on cemetery grounds.

While I agree with you, that is not how I am reading the article:

So the VA is saying that the "default" practice for funerals/memorials is "atheist?" That's bizarre.

While I don't subscribe to the theory that the U.S. is a "Christian" nation (IMO the First Amendment forbids that) the fact is that a dramatic percentage of our people hold some sort of faith. That would include Christians, Jews, Muslims, animists, etc. Against that background the "atheist" option should be actively selected.

It would be interesting to follow the paper trail inside the VA to figure out where this practice came from.

SQQ

So the VA is saying that the "default" practice for funerals/memorials is "atheist?" That's bizarre.

While I don't subscribe to the theory that the U.S. is a "Christian" nation (IMO the First Amendment forbids that) the fact is that a dramatic percentage of our people hold some sort of faith. That would include Christians, Jews, Muslims, animists, etc. Against that background the "atheist" option should be actively selected.

It would be interesting to follow the paper trail inside the VA to figure out where this practice came from.

SQQ

I agree with you.

It seems that it is limited to Houston, but it also seems that it goes a bit beyond a "default" and is almost attempting to actively discourage.

The VA has been making some really stupid PC calls over the last 40 years....

Yeah, but dis one takes da cake !!!

BTW, 21 years of service with the Army !

Arleen Ocasio sounds like a Communist.

The Communists tried wiping out religion in the Soviet Union. Didn't work there.

The English created an approved State Religion and drove many of its own Citizens to the New World to avoid religious persecution.

In their most extreme time of need, the families of fallen soldiers need to find comfort and frequently that comfort comes from their faith in God, whatever their idea of God is.

It should not concern the Government that volunteers are consoling families by the mention of God.

Just another example of a low-level Government employee trying to push their own agenda and getting press for it instead of being fired or reprimanded for doing so.

Waimea

God Bless America

(hope nobody comes and takes me away for saying that)

:FlagAm:

Arleen Ocasio sounds like a Communist.

The Communists tried wiping out religion in the Soviet Union. Didn't work there.

The English created an approved State Religion and drove many of its own Citizens to the New World to avoid religious persecution.

In their most extreme time of need, the families of fallen soldiers need to find comfort and frequently that comfort comes from their faith in God, whatever their idea of God is.

It should not concern the Government that volunteers are consoling families by the mention of God.

Just another example of a low-level Government employee trying to push their own agenda and getting press for it instead of being fired or reprimanded for doing so.

Waimea

God Bless America

(hope nobody comes and takes me away for saying that)

:FlagAm:

I want to add though that when the Germans invaded Russia in WW2 they opened the Christian church doors that had ben shut for many years by the government and I am told by a WW2 veteran that an old Russian Citizen was told by a German officer they could come worship again and the old man told the German they were several years too late that the youth of the day had no knowledge or concern for God as they had not been raised in it.

I want to add though that when the Germans invaded Russia in WW2 they opened the Christian church doors that had ben shut for many years by the government and I am told by a WW2 veteran that an old Russian Citizen was told by a German officer they could come worship again and the old man told the German they were several years too late that the youth of the day had no knowledge or concern for God as they had not been raised in it.

Yes, it's a little-known fact that Operation Barbarossa was a Christian missionary outreach activity. :wacko:

whether they outlaw God at my funeral or not, I am a veteran and a preacher and I demand the preacher that does my funeral to detail how God is my saviour and how my family can take comfort in Jesus coming back to get my body one day.

Yes, it's a little-known fact that Operation Barbarossa was a Christian missionary outreach activity. :wacko:

And yet another monitor is in need of cleaning. :angry:

SQQ

I think you'll find the paper trail starts at the one holer out back of the VA!

I wonder what Ms. Ocasio would say about a family that wanted a Greek Orthodox funeral?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8RGAuxwBck

(I'll not inflict a 13 min. video on you here, you will need to cut and paste into your browser window. That is part 1 of 2)

Unlike the Pledge of Allegiance thread, I am having a difficult time coming up with a cogent response that doesn't contain multiple expletives. My first thought was "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot???"

Simply put, families invoking the name of God is NOT the same as Congress establishing a religion. If Ms. Ocasio can't understand the difference, she might consider a change of careers. I'm just not sure what she would be suited for.

How about "target"?

Here's an idea. For anyone who holds a funeral service there, mention God anyway, dare her to even try and do something about it, and make it clear what the consequences will be if she does try. And no, I don't care if that sounded un-Godly.

Every time I think our world has reached the absolute pinnacle of looniness somethin' like this comes up and sets a new standard. :wacko:

I'm a-thinkin' that gal should be up for re-assignment... groundskeeper, perhaps, or mebbe grave-digger. -_-

Every time I think our world has reached the absolute pinnacle of looniness somethin' like this comes up and sets a new standard. :wacko:

I'm a-thinkin' that gal should be up for re-assignment... groundskeeper, perhaps, or mebbe grave-digger. -_-

How about Will Stockdales MOS in No Time For Sergeants - PLO?

http://www.veteransresources.org/2011/06/veterans-affairs-bans-mention-of-god-at-funerals-for-vets/

Gunner you've got to understand why this is not allowed. She's got to nip it in the bud! If Vets are allowed to say "God" at funerals, the next thing they'll be saying is "Jesus" or even worse, "Merry Christmas!" :o

Now to Ms Arleen Ocasio, Director of the Houston National Cemetery: "Well bless your heart."

How about Will Stockdales MOS in No Time For Sergeants - PLO?

TOO COOL, SDJ~!! :lol:

Wonder if she could get the facilities to salute~? ^_^

And if I mention GOD will they strike me dead, incarcerate me for 20 years?

I think not!

God bless America and my God bless our troops!

QDG 48525 :FlagAm:

http://www.veteransr...erals-for-vets/

Guys.. if I want to pray I pray.. if i want to mention God I do it.. God is my creator and he give me guidance so I hope I make the right decisions in life. True not all of mine have been the best, but you know I didn'tl iisten to the voices either. Now I hear him loud and clearl.. So ... my point is nothing will stop me darn it.. My Rat Dog knows God loves herk and she knows that God tells me to be good to her everyday.. nothing, no law, no person will change me or my prayers,. I do not pray out loud all the time like for diner.. but believe me.. I still pray.. God at times tells me to not be so vocal... cuz not everyone is ready for him yet.. I wish I was so much bettter than I am.. but I do try.. lol DV

Archived