SASS Wire Forum

Ammo belts above the belly button

Blasted Cap

After watching Rattlesnakes video (that kid is smokin fast) and looking at some pictures in the chronicle I've been thinking on this. (Bad idea I know.) Is the rule on the ammo belts being at or below belly button level ever enforced or do I just need to retake anatomy? If it's been gone over before, please post a link so I can read that. Thanks.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After watching Rattlesnakes video (that kid is smokin fast) and looking at some pictures in the chronicle I've been thinking on this. (Bad idea I know.) Is the rule on the ammo belts being at or below belly button level ever enforced or do I just need to retake anatomy? If it's been gone over before, please post a link so I can read that. Thanks.

It's being enforced and you really can't make a decision from a pic or video, some shooters wear their belt so low that it makes the shotgun belt look out of place.

KK

"Ammo belts must be worn so all ammo is positioned at or below the belly button."

And yes, I will call a shooter on it, but not the position of the belt, the position of the ammo.

Is that the top, middle, or bottom part of the ammo that needs to be at or below the belly button?..

GG

Pretty sure from past discussion that it is any part of the ammo (which in essance means the bottom part) that has to be at or below (which in essence means at) the belly button.

Is that the top, middle, or bottom part of the ammo that needs to be at or below the belly button?..

GG

Just my opinion.

But if any part of the shotgun shell is AT the belly button.

Then you are good to go.

Wear mine with the bottom part of the shotgun shell AT the belly button.

And as pointed out. I wear my gun belt somewhat low. So it may look even higher than it is

with all the big space inbetween.

And that big belly there in the way. :blink:

Well I'm sure not going to SASS matches to be a belly button checker. Sounds like we need belly button check rules. All shooter will indicate the location of their belly button by any of the following means; A) Use a SASS approved Sharpie to mark the location of their belly button with an X no smaller than 1" on their shirt or other clothing under the shotgun belt, B) Cut a hole in their shirt or other clothing worn under the shotgun belt no smaller than 1.5", C) Wear shotgun belt in a location so as to leave no doubt that it is below belly button level such as below pistol belt or by using shotgun shell leg belts worn below the crotch, D) Wear clothing with a "hatch" type opening directly in front of the belly button. "Hatch" may use leather tie downs or buttons to facilitate inspection. Snaps or similar fasteners are not approved.

Being a big belly guy, my belt frequently slips down hill, which is up my belly in this case. I try to adjust it when I realize it, but alas, it does happen and no one has called me on it in many years. Local, state or regional, folks just do not seem to notice those of us who are not competitive and in the bottom tier. Truth is we do tend to draw lines in the sand in some pretty weird places anyway? I think the really high ride belts were most popular, intentionally, when guys removed the butt from the shoulder and placed the chambers by the shells. Looking at some of the early SASS videos the rule only came about after some guys actually wore them like bras, with one or two early hot shots showing the loading technique on tape. Just for info, photo proof has appeared several times here of very high ride shot shell belts worn by late 1800s sportsmen.

... Is the rule on the ammo belts being at or below belly button level ever enforced...

None of the rules are enforced. They are there only to give the TG a reason to go to Loss Wages ...

Bad day at work, can't you tell...

I've always thought it was tha dumbest rule of them all! How can ye expect me ta call a shooter for his shells being above his dern belly button and turn aroun an let tha next one shoot with a bandolier with tha shells up at his neck. You can cancel christmas on me callin it. :wacko:

RRR

I actually had my belly button surgically relocated up my torso, so I can wear my ammo belt around my neck if I want. Hasn't helped my speed much though. And happily, no one has insisted that I show them the exact location of my BB. TSA probably knows but they are hardly ever around during a match.

Cassalong Hopidy

I could be talked into being the Belly Button Inspector for the ......... ladies :wacko:

Coffinmaker

PS: We could always play "I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours." There are a number of shooter out there I wouldn't play with though :ph34r:

PSS: Are we really discussing this?????

:blink: This actually happened to me. I was questioning in a kidding way as to the belly button issue with a lady and she told me she had it surgically altered..... then proceeded to sho me that it WAS. She had undergone a transplant and the surgeon relocatedd the orifice.... :lol::huh:^_^:o:PB)

I don't see belt height as much of a problem, and most appear to be very close to properly positioned. What I do see that is a flagrant violation, is shotgun belts made to position the shells sticking almost straight out, making them far easier to grab.

The rules plainly state that Shotgun ammo loops MUST conform to the shooters contour (i.e., not tilt out from the belt. This rule is quite often not adheared to, and should be called on ANYBODY who violates it. Spirit of the game is also a factor here. It's just a subtle way of cheating.

RBK

I don't see belt height as much of a problem, and most appear to be very close to properly positioned. What I do see that is a flagrant violation, is shotgun belts made to position the shells sticking almost straight out, making them far easier to grab.

The rules plainly state that Shotgun ammo loops MUST conform to the shooters contour (i.e., not tilt out from the belt. This rule is quite often not adheared to, and should be called on ANYBODY who violates it. Spirit of the game is also a factor here. It's just a subtle way of cheating.

RBK

So, I take it that you have made that call when you've seen it?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

RBK

Yep. A person should not complain about everybody else NOT making a call.

If they are not willing to make that call there own self. :huh:

I know I must be OK. As Goody would have got me on it if I was not. :P

And yes. Goody will make those calls.

I've always thought it was tha dumbest rule of them all! How can ye expect me ta call a shooter for his shells being above his dern belly button and turn aroun an let tha next one shoot with a bandolier with tha shells up at his neck. You can cancel christmas on me callin it. :wacko:

RRR

Well said, really who cares.........

Good question and there are quite a few things not called as they should but no need to call out a 12 year old as an example.

Just my opinion.

+1

We all know that the reason we have rules against bra-style shell belts, crotch holsters, two strong-side holsters, etc, is because of the people who say, "If it doesn't say I can't, I can," no matter how h***e-s**t it looks. SASS doesn't want shooters to look like that. If you think SASS's attitude is dumb, OK, but that's the way it is.

And the reason we have those stiff bandoliers that don't need to be tied down is because we have people who say, "Hmmm. The rules say a bandolier can't be tied down. How do I get around that?"

Rattlesnakes belt does touch his belly button and his shells are at that level. Sometimes his belt slides up on him and he's always pushing it down. He doesn't position it to gain competitive advantage just comfort. His torso is short and his pants ride low and it makes it look higher than it really is. His table muscle in the mid section kind of adds to this.

Just a bit of clarification. I agree that it's a silly rule especially if they allow bandoliers.

We all know that the reason we have rules against bra-style shell belts, crotch holsters, two strong-side holsters, etc, is because of the people who say, "If it doesn't say I can't, I can," no matter how h***e-s**t it looks. SASS doesn't want shooters to look like that. If you think SASS's attitude is dumb, OK, but that's the way it is.

And the reason we have those stiff bandoliers that don't need to be tied down is because we have people who say, "Hmmm. The rules say a bandolier can't be tied down. How do I get around that?"

I don't think the SASS attitude is dumb, rules are there for a reason.......but with folks shooting in slippers, athletic shoes......sleeveless shirts, shorts, leather hats, plastic hats......etc.......(I have photos) do we really want to worry about a belt being worn too high? Why are some rules enforced and others not? By-the-way......I wear shotguns slides on my gunbelt, so i really don't have a dog in this hunt......

Well we should all care. Shotgun bras look really really stoopid. So do crotch holsters but those are becoming more and more de riguer. Don't look right to the outside un-biased eye.

Almost as bad as shooters with no proper cowboy hat on they haid...

Oh yeah, and by the way I do wear a Tupelo Bando. I think it looks sharp. This thread is the first time I have ever heard anyone speak out against it.

You cannot compare bandoleers and sg belts. Apples and oranges. Two different critters with of course different rules. You cannot justify shotgun bras which have always been illegal because of stiff bandoleers which have always been legal.

If you think the Tupelo Bando should be outlawed because it is an unfair advantage, work to make it illegal. Until it is illegal, I will wear mine and pipe up when someone's sg belt is so high that the bottom of the shells is way above the navel. That picture of the guy Jack used to shoot with shows the bottom of the shells a good 6 inches above his navel. No bueno...

Not sure, but is it possible that it is an older picture, predating the rule? I would bet that with a short amount of lobby time one might have a pretty fair chance of selling the idea of dropping that rule, to the membership at large?? I consider it to be somewhat a gamer looking thing when really high BUT my Gawd what a place to make a stand, double loops or pouches, ammo slides and even the '97 as a pre-1900 cowboy shotgun. Is it possible that we have a game that was supposed to welcome multiple ideas of shooting and playing cowboy? I certainly do not believe that anything should go, just wonder why we drew some of the lines where we did?

I actually had my belly button surgically relocated up my torso, so I can wear my ammo belt around my neck if I want. Hasn't helped my speed much though. And happily, no one has insisted that I show them the exact location of my BB. TSA probably knows but they are hardly ever around during a match.

Cassalong Hopidy

That takes gamin' to a whole new level....... :lol:

Typically it's the mid-pack and non-competitive shooters who push the rules and/or ignore them. The top-tier shooters (which Rattlesnake has become) know that everyone is watching them and don't try to get away with breaking rules. They know they are the standard and must be the example to follow.

Jack, nothing says cowboy like wearing a shotgun bra with a slim Jim.

Possum

Archived