SASS Wire Forum

National Anthem:

I realize entertainers strive for their own creative expression, and I'm the first to admit that I have no singing voice, but when I hear someone like Christina Aguilera sing "The National Anthem" for the Super Bowl, it's almost like blasphemy. :angry:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realize entertainers strive for their own creative expression, and I'm the first to admit that I have no singing voice, but when I hear someone like Christina Aguilera sing "The National Anthem" for the Super Bowl, it's almost like blasphemy. :angry:

I thought it would be nice if you are going to sing an anthem in front of millions of people, that you would at least know the lyrics!

Pack olebuddy i am with you,we have the prettiest most meaningfull flag in the world and the best anthem,sing em louder make em bigger ok,but quit singing the anthem like a stuck pig from hell and be professional and get the words right!DRIVES ME NUTS!!! :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

RACKOFLAPPINSNAGBOTTOMSTIPPLEWIGS!!! )(*^&$%^$%#@$(()_(+_)))&$#%&*_*^$%%# :angry:

Maybe it's just me, but every year it seems like they almost always find someone who sings it "with their own creative flair." It's like the artist is saying, "See if you can top this?" I'm getting a little sick of it.

You know, we've got choral groups in every branch of our Armed Services. Why doesn't the NFL have one of them sing the National Anthem? At least they'd sing it the way it should be sung...and they'd get the words right.

When she was supposed to sing the line "O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming," she instead repeated an earlier line, with a slight variation.

She sang "What so proudly we watched at the twilight's last gleaming," which is the same line from earlier in the song but with the word `watched' instead of the word `hailed.'

The mistake immediately set social networks abuzz with people commenting on the error.

Aguilera's representative did not immediately return a call and e-mail seeking comment.

She's not the first person to mess up the lines of "The Star-Spangled Banner." In 2001, Macy Gray was famously booed for her off-kilter rendition of the national anthem.

Earlier thread on the subject

As I said in that thread, by "personalizing" it, they are making themselves more important than the song, and what it stands for.

Sorry, Grizz. When I read the topic of your post, "Just once I'd like to see...", I didn't realize it was about the same subject. I guess I should've opened your post. Right? :blush:

But you're right on the money when you said they're trying to make themselves more important the the song. It just "fries my ham," so to speak, to hear them do that.

She blew it big time :angry: Spare us from these no talent singers pleeeeaaase..............:wacko:

I am in the habit of turning the TV down to where I can't hear whoever is singing the National Anthem and sing it to myself. Too many folks do not do justice to it.

Good reply,never did hear anyone sing it that did it any justice.

I refuse to buy a hearing aid and the tv volume is easier to change. Romote Power. ^_^

MS

I am in the habit of turning the TV down to where I can't hear whoever is singing the National Anthem and sing it to myself. Too many folks do not do justice to it.

I'm sure glad that I did not have to suffer through THAT! ;)

Hey, have you started your new office yet?

Well, ya gotta consider that most folks younger than about 35 have heard nothing but crap (unless they listen to some Christian music) so they think crap is good singing. And that's mostly who watches the Superbowl. If Pavorati (sp?) or Susan Boyle sang it and sang it well THEY'D think it was crap cuz they don't know no better. :angry:

JHC (who'd rather hear Sinatra or Laura Branigan)

At least Rosanne got the words right

In the past, before the start of NCSU basketball games, a NCSU PD officer occasionally sang the anthem a capella. It would make the hair stand up on the back of my neck with pride....that is how it should be done!! On the other hand, I stood through another performance of the anthem at a neighboring school, where the "choir" added FOUR verses of their own creation to the national anthem.

See you down the trail......

Another rocker blows it! Maybe she should've checked in with Macy Gray to see what blowing the Anthem does to the career for awhile. :rolleyes:

I agree with the post above about the singers(?) today. If you can't rap or scream and gyrate, you ain't gonna make it. Give me the old stuff please, words you can understand with some good harmonies :angry::blush:

I'll never forget the rendition of The National Anthem performed by the Cleveland Orchestra Chorus and the horn section of the Orchestra at the opening day of Jacobs Field (Cleve. Indians) in 1994. It was the best I ever heard. There was an Italian singer also who used to do the Anthem at ball games named Rocco Scotti, he had a great operatic voice, he was a little bit of a hot dog but NOTHING like these no talents they have now!:FlagAm:

Being an old rock 'n' roller, I got to tell ya', that crap we heard last night ain't rock 'n' roll. Even the Jimi Hendrix version played at Woodstock is preferable to what we've been getting lately. Though I am a fan of Hendrix, (and he was a Screaming Eagle) I'm not a fan of that performance. I've heard many and diverse "artists" perform the national anthem. Like Grizzly Dave said, it is not the place to put yourself before the song.

A line we use on stage often when a talented but self promoting performer tries to steal the spotlight is "Just play it straight, you'll get your chance."

And from the "other side of the aisle" ~

I agree! It was a disgrace! And the same for "America the Beautiful", which was written inspired by the view from Pike's Peak, which I can see from my easy chair.

HOW AWFUL!

eGG

Yup...it would have been decent had she knew the words...

However, I thought ''America the Beautiful' was fine...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived